• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

System Shock 3 pre-alpha gameplay teaser trailer

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Looks rough, like a mod or something.

But still, it’s system shock 3, so I can’t argue.

Also lol at rating pending... I think we all know what rating this will get with those visuals.

Last edited:

Also lol at rating pending... I think we all know what rating this will get with those visuals.

I had the same beggars can't be choosers thought as well haha

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Cool. Made a gif.

OEmgFd1.gif

Sentenza

Not gonna lie, given who's working on it I would already be extremely impressed if this matches in quality Prey, let alone any dream of surpassing it.
Not that it would be a shabby accomplishment, anyway. Lack of enemy variety aside, Prey was pretty damn good.

JoduanER2

System shock 2 with mods still holds up. I had a really good time when i played it 2 years ago. Its really atmospheric, more so than most modern sci fi games. And i think is a genre that needs more spotlight.

Prey 2017 was a good game but it was missing that oppresive sci fi horror setting, something that i love, like the movie Event Horizon or Dead Space or Doom 3, thats my favorite setting, and it needs more focus, i think theres a big market for these type of games.

Last edited:

When'd we start judging a game's fun value by becoming graphics whores? Really I wanna know, cuz it doesn't even look that bad visually. Otherwise you're just admitting these reviewers are bought-and-paid for.

"Oh hey a super-pretty gaem? It mus hav a bigh bujet durr!! Oooh may bee da pubs can slip uz sum kash an' wi gev em uh gud reeeevuuu!!"

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Chill out dear. I still play games from 30 years ago because gameplay>graphics.

But here’s the kicker, and this is some grade A high level techno babble... I can’t tell bugger all about gameplay from a trailer like this.

So, yeah. It looks rough. Like, amateur asset creation rough. It may be game of the year material, it may blow my socks off, suck my cock and then get me a cold one after. But from a visual point based on this purely visual and none playable trailer...

It looks rough.

PM me when the digital foundry video hits for Xbox/PS4 comparison so I can give you all my important opinions then, too.

Xxx

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Seems sufficiently spooky, but the gameplay was barely shown off (mostly a peek at assets, which definitely look pre-alpha).

Helios

I like it. I hope they don't mess around too much with the gameplay outside of making it feel a little better.
I was actually pretty scared of how they're going to make SHODAN look but I think they did a good job.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Prey 2017 was a good game but it was missing that oppresive sci fi horror setting, something that i love, like the movie Event Horizon or Dead Space or Doom 3, thats my favorite setting, and it needs more focus, i think theres a big market for these type of games.

Aesthetics are a big part of it, since Prey's gameplay is already there (especially after they patched in weapon degradation). It even expanded upon SS2's gameplay with the addition of zero g, altho of course those segments annoy some people. But the setting looked very sterile, like an apple store in a mall. And the enemies were all black goop.

Still, I will always argue Prey 2017 came closer to SS2 than Bioshock ever did much less Bioshock Infinite which is a straight up dudebro FPS. Call of Duty multiplayer has more RPG character customization than Infinite.

JoduanER2

Aesthetics are a big part of it, since Prey's gameplay is already there (especially after they patched in weapon degradation). It even expanded upon SS2's gameplay with the addition of zero g, altho of course those segments annoy some people. But the setting looked very sterile, like an apple store in a mall. And the enemies were all black goop.

Still, I will always argue Prey 2017 came closer to SS2 than Bioshock ever did much less Bioshock Infinite which is a straight up dudebro FPS. Call of Duty multiplayer has more RPG character customization than Infinite.

Yeah, thats what disappointed me the most about Prey 2017

zeorhymer

Not much high hopes. They only did Underworld and it wasn't too well received. I'll wait till I see actual game play.

ROMhack

Nice. Excited :D

Doesn't look too original in terms of the story but I think the concept lends itself well to a modern re-imagining.

Last edited:

Belmonte

Everything is about perspective. System Shock graphics and art are a huge, huge improvement in comparison with Otherside past game, Underworld Ascendant. I'm even impressed to be honest.

Hope the best for the studio. Underworld was not good but seems to me that they are really trying to capture the magic of the immersive sims of the past.

Knightime_X

I wonder if it controls like SS1 and 2.
Both were unbelievably bad control wise.

Game looks fun but goddam controlling it prevents me from wanting to play it more.
Like 0/10 controls.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Looks great.

There are not nearly enough immersive sims being made which is a shame.

System Shock 3 is using the Unity Engine, which I find to be a bizarre choice. FPS games with Unity generally do look a bit rough around the corners. But I would imagine that this is using a much newer build of Unity that probably supports newer features like Vulkan rendering.

The System Shock 1 remake was originally being developed using Unity Engine, as well. The Unity engine demo can be found online. But Nightdive scrapped this build and moved everything over to UE4.

But it is cool that System Shock is having a bit of a revival right now.

Kacho

Gold Member
Looks dope. Insta cop just on principle.

Weren’t these guys doing a SS remake? Originally on Unity but then switch to UE4? There’s also a SS2 remaster or something. Hard to keep up.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I got Prey day one and got lost so I stopped playing it.
Yeah I ran around the room like crazy. Going around that helipad or whatever it was called until I found where to go. That happens. Sorry it ruined your experience. Sticking with it will eventually fix whatever was wrong in the first place. Patience is a virtue when you’re stuck running around the same screen for 10 minutes.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I ran around the room like crazy. Going around that helipad or whatever it was called until I found where to go. That happens. Sorry it ruined your experience. Sticking with it will eventually fix whatever was wrong in the first place. Patience is a virtue when you’re stuck running around the same screen for 10 minutes.
It was more like 4 hours of going in circles. I'm just really bad at finding shit in any game honestly.

Top Bottom