• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

System Shock Remastered Kickstarter Launched (PC/XB1) | 900K Goal - Demo Available

Where's the stretch goal to get Ken Levine to march into the office, look at the multi-year output from an art director, and say, "eh, you know what? I don't think this fits with my vision, that's gotta go" and march right back out?

Maybe they can get Chris Avellone to do that.

s_mirage

There is something I'm not a major fan of with this Kickstarter: the remixed score should be at a lower tier. Hell, the remixed score and that "full orchestral score" tier should be switched around. It's a cyberpunk game, it needs a synth soundtrack, not an orchestra.

GavinUK86

Just completed the demo and thought it was pretty good. The light switch puzzle had me stumped for a while. Unity performance is shit but as it says, it's alpha, so I don't see that being a problem when it's done. I was never a fan of the originals so I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
All they need to do is ask Chris Avellone to tenderly kiss a printout of their script. E-Z extra 100k on Kickstarter, minimum.

The more times people use him as a stretch goal or promise yet dont have him in a real serious creative position, the less I care.

JayTapp

The amount of stretch goals is worrying me. A LOT. Just make the game, sell it and that's it. I've been burned too many times by unrealistic stretch goals that add insane overhead and development time. ( see all CHAOSIUM kickstarters )

Will wait for release out of caution.

Vanilla SS1 is more RPG-esque than any Bioshock game, though. It's literally Ultima Underworld mechanics in a sci-fi setting. So we're starting with a baseline that's already more complex than Bioshock... and adding more systems onto it?

Why are we talking about fucking Bioshock again?

Because all those systems they are "adding" do not actually exist. Adding them in means change.

They need to design them, then they need to make them, then they need to make them work for the damn xbox controller while keeping those fans happy who found the demo "slow and boring". That was basically how bioshock was born.

We have seen it time and again for kickstarters. Maybe it will end up well. But for now, I'd expect them to have a very bumpy ride trying to keep everybody happy.

JayTapp

Because all those systems they are "adding" do not actually exist. Adding them in means change.

They need to design them, then they need to make them, then they need to make them work for the damn xbox controller while keeping those fans happy who found the demo "slow and boring". That was basically how bioshock was born.

We have seen it time and again for kickstarters. Maybe it will end up well. But for now, I'd expect them to have a very bumpy ride trying to keep everybody happy.

Agreed, system shock WAS slow, methodical, atmospheric. The only thing it shared with bioshock what "shock".

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Hmm I don't do nearly as much PC gaming these days and have been playing mostly on my PS4. I want to back this but I don't see myself getting an X1 till the Scorpio comes out. Might just wait and get it later on.

Skulldead

Way too high by what metric? It's high for a reason

I mean i don't think it reachable at this state... i would be glad to see the feature they present in system shock 1 that were in system shock 2

The demo run really bad on my computer (i7 + GTX 580), still pre-alpha so. The game glitch when trying to got up a ladder, my character just jam. This is a good start it think.

What's with all the unity and Xbox hate? I haven't had the chance to play the demo but I for one don't mind much about the lack of PS4 version or Unity. Would I prefer it? Yes of course, but I'm just happy we're getting a remake made by a competent studio (their work with bringing back old games shows that there's quite a lot of dedication and passion from this team).

I mean I got burned by mighty no9 but I just got a sketch, this time we have a full demo. Stretch goals don't seem quite crazy to me, I hope it achieves most of them by the time the Kickstarter ends.

phant0m

In for the steelBook. Will gamestream from my PC to the TV.....Unity is bad on consoles for first-person 3D. Try Unreal or CryEngine? idtech 5?

pa22word

Not sure I am sold on the idea of not filtering the textures.

How difficult would it be to have filtered textures as an option?

My nostalgia doesn't include the graphics.......the whole point of the remaster is to upgrade the visuals...

I mean in 2016 it's not like it matters anyways because you can force af through your control panel anyways if you want to.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
nah people care. Grimrock did alright. Its just hard to make those games appealing now. But Bard's has the graphics and shit, that will help a lot. Plus they created that whole New Orleans studio to do Bard's, they must have help in the funding dept

That doesnt disprove his point. Grimrock 2 is suppose to be amazing yet it did far under the first game.

Ah, what memories. I like how they still have the automated message you receive from SHODAN after you wake up. A little remnant of before things went to shit.

Grief.exe

SvCPHt9.png

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Really loving night dive. Between Turok and This, they went from a dev I've never heard of to what could be one of my favorites.

I hope this is successful enough that the System Shock 2 remake has high production values.

Lork

What you wrote has nothing to do with that specific list of features. It's an Ironman mode, and some systems that are a bit more like SS2. Zero connection to Bioshock.

If they react to the people complaining that the demo is too slow... fine, but that's an entirely different topic than those stretch goals, which are obviously moving the game even further from the type of game Bioshock was.
No you don't understand this ironman mode that sounds like it would take ten minutes to implement as described will be the cause of their undoing... The leak that floods their underwater city, if you will.

Grief.exe

Because it's a great game.

It's technically a downgrade from System Shock 2.
Unity had big performance improvements with the latest version. Most the games mention that had performance problems used the old version Unity 4.

For example Besiege Unity 4 vs 5 comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYuPNmSnrB4&ab_channel=SpiderlingGames

The Long Dark Unity 4 vs 5:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzv_tRI0oAs&ab_channel=ChillPlayer

Did Unity 5 add real time shadows?

Atomski

Really loving night dive. Between Turok and This, they went from a dev I've never heard of to what could be one of my favorites.

I hope this is successful enough that the System Shock 2 remake has high production values.
Yeah these guys are doing God's work..

Hopefully try the demo today..

SnakeEyes

Banned
I just watched Jim Sterling playing the alpha on YT, and it looks great. However, with no PS4 support, I'm sad that I can't support this. Wish them the best of luck though.

Blam

A game everyone likes is on a console they don't like. Everyone loses their mind.

But if an game everyone likes is on a console they like. Nobody bats an eye.

$1.7m Goal : Enemy limb dismemberment, More puzzles, Ammo types/weapon settings, Vending machines, Basic crafting/research, RPG leveling with perks/skills, Weapon upgrading, Hardcore mode (No respawning), Ironman mode (Only 1 savegame. If you die, the save is deleted)

I get that some people are concerned about the crafting and leveling, but I don't think they'd necessarily be negative. They didn't kill SS2, at any rate.

What does seem weird is that "Ammo Types/Weapon Settings" is a stretch goal. I'm pretty sure that every weapon in SS1 had multiple ammo types and/or weapon settings. Are they not planning on adding them by default?

~Kinggi~

Banned
This is going to be an interesting campaign to watch leg wise.

Here are some of the previous big campaigns broken down (Haven't updated this since last year...but nothing big has come out so it still works)

ahh, the sweet sweet KS curve.

So basically, a lot will depend on what is pulled for the first 3 days. We havent been 12 hours yet. I mean if its like 350k or something, you are looking at 900-1.1 final tally maybe. But 400+k keeps things up in the air.

StereoVsn

This isn't true at all. Unity isn't the greatest engine in the world but it's pretty solid and there have been a tonne of fantastic and technically solid games released on it.

The technically solid bit is amusing when talking about Firewatch, which performance has been somewhat iffy on the PS4.

As to the KS, their Tiers kind of suck, IMO.

- $30 - Base Game - Decent price
- $50 - Good Tier for those that haven't played the originals plus digital goodies
- $75 - Not bad, basically the $50 Tier plus Physical and Beta

So far, so good.

- $150 - What, what happened here? That's a double jump from $75. That's just bad tier planning.
- $350 - .... This is a seriously large jump and once again, bad tier planning.

There are a lot of missed opportunities between $75 and $150 Tiers and $150 and $350 Tiers. There should have been at least one more Tier between $75 to $150, maybe even 2 and at least 2 more between $150 and $350. They are leaving a lot of money on the table and not thinking through the bonuses the right way.

They could have given for example digital PC key and Physical Xbone edition for $100. Then throw double physical option for $150. Give dual digital keys for people to give to friends as an option. Create a tier with both digitals and physicals plus collector box and things for $200. Give people a reason to spend cash.

That's how good campaigns raise the average per backer and how you entice more backers.

I don't really like that weapon settings, rpg stuff, etc is locked behind the 1.7m tier, as for the soundtrack I'm glad it is gone, both SS1 and SS2's soundtrack were terrible and clashed with the aesthetic of the games IMO. The ambient audio is especially good in SS2, more than makes up for a lack of music when you turn it off.

Other than that, I loved the demo, it felt like System Shock 1 alright.

Makes me wonder if they will allude to the Annelids in this game or save that for the SS2 remake if that happens.

as for the soundtrack I'm glad it is gone, both SS1 and SS2's soundtrack were terrible and clashed with the aesthetic of the games IMO. The ambient audio is especially good in SS2, more than makes up for a lack of music when you turn it off.

What.

What.

Makes me wonder if they will allude to the Annelids in this game or save that for the SS2 remake if that happens.

The Annalids are evolved versions of the mutants from SS1. They don't exist yet in the capacity you see in SS2.

What.

What.

The Annalids are evolved versions of the mutants from SS1. They don't exist yet in the capacity you see in SS2.

That is what I thought, I was just thinking since it is a remake they might make an appearance in some form.

But yeah, I totally hated the soundtrack in the original games. hated it.

Arulan

your first mistake was being with RPGCodex......shudder....

What's wrong with RPG Codex?

Chris Avellone is certainly putting in the work. He's involved in a number of projects now. At some point I'd like to see him as lead, rather than a contributor though.

I hope that despite some of the changes they intend to make that they can capture the essence of Citadel Station in this remake. I think I'm down for the big box.

Yukinari

Im glad MaxofS2D decided to put his talent to good use working on this remaster. Its certainly better than being a horrible poster on Facepunch. Maybe ill back it, not sure.

In for the steelBook. Will gamestream from my PC to the TV.....Unity is bad on consoles for first-person 3D. Try Unreal or CryEngine? idtech 5?

Night Dive lists itself as having between one and ten employees on LinkedIn. Unless they have external funding, they're probably not going on a hiring spree after the campaign, so that would rule out UE4. Similar problems for CE and iDTech 5 and they probably have worse documentation.

I honestly really hope that they reach that 1.7m tier, I mean if they remove that stuff from the game it kinda just makes it system shock lite... aka Bioshock.

Top Bottom