• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

System Shock Remastered Kickstarter Launched (PC/XB1) | 900K Goal - Demo Available

naitosan

Wouldn't you want to check about that dev kit before launching a kickstarter? This statement just seems odd to me.

With the track record of kickstarter, especially video games, this is just bad advice. There's plenty you can do to increase awareness of a kickstarter and help something get funded even if you don't want put your own money in. This is one step above the old "if you don't buy game X we won't know how much demand there would be for game X2" that companies like to dangle in front of us.

No, don't think this is a bad advice. They have demo out, they have major of works done and they have some support from Microsoft and others. They're no other Mighty No. 9.

If they started with nothing but concept works, then I agree.

RedRum

Banned
I have never played a SS shock game before. Or it was such a long time ago that I don't remember.

To people saying it would be dumbed down on a console controller, would these controls be as extensive as Elite Dangerous? Because they managed to get a shit load of sim controls into that game.

Well in that case then your boy Yu should have put Shen Mue on Xbox also not just "Sony" as you put it so they got as much support as possible, isn't that the concept?

Offcourse it should have been there, unless the dev believes that the "support fee" is significantly higher than the potential extra backing + sales. It could have gotten more public funding and maybe even better stretchgoals unless they would have tuned those down without the company support. Who knows, I don't like kickstarters.

Hasn't Otherside previously stated that System Shock 3 will eventually be kick started? How much of an effect would this project's success have on that?

Doop

Just played the demo, I really like the look of the game. I also like that you solve puzzles in world, you don't open up an interface to enter numbers into a keypad or complete a circuit. Pretty cool, I'll probably back this.

TP

I have never played a SS shock game before. Or it was such a long time ago that I don't remember.

To people saying it would be dumbed down on a console controller, would these controls be as extensive as Elite Dangerous? Because they managed to get a shit load of sim controls into that game.

SS series has drag and drop inventories and selectable UI options

1V0qFsg.jpg

HkTNgzi.jpg

It would have to be redesigned to work for controller

demo UI currently looks like this

UI options are gone
vnRg5qj.jpg

inventory is full screen

enGo6vp.png

that's something that would work for controllers but would be annoying for mouse and keyboard

Deadstar

I'm not familiar with SS1's music so I'm not sure how well it would translate to a more orchestral score but I know I'd hate it for SS2.

Orchestral scores are the most generic soundtracks in video games. I hate them. Video game music used to be good. Oh well, they lost a backer.

I'm going to back this. The demo is obviously super-early and has a lot of bugs and other issues, but goddamn they are NAILING the aesthetic and the gameplay feel of the original, just making it more viable in a modern era (similar to DOOM).

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Capcom gave us a finger in RE7 Demo, Nightdive gave us an entire, useless body. Someone should open a thread asking "What's the body for?".

Nah, I don't think so. The major problem I see at the moment is the game being focused on pixel hunt, and with a pad that can be a problem.

Haha, I opened a box and found the torso and my first reaction was "What the hell do I need a torso for?"

ZeroCoin

No, don't think this is a bad advice. They have demo out, they have major of works done and they have some support from Microsoft and others. They're no other Mighty No. 9.

If they started with nothing but concept works, then I agree.

It's more to do with the statement that you won't even have a chance to get an additional platform if it doesn't pass. By all means endorse a tier where there's no expected usable product at the end of the day, just have an issue with that mindset.

I hope it gets funded. I hope it turns out well. It's a series that deserves to get more recognition and exposure. But if someone doesn't have a decent pc or an Xbox one, I certainly wouldn't recommend backing it.

Well if this crashes and burns I imagine they'll rethink their plans.

Which is why I'm a bit worried about this project. Maybe I'm a bit naive, but Otherside has a bit of talent behind System Shock 3 that makes me a bit more confident in that project. That's not to say that I don't think this could be great, but considering Night Dive has been working on ports/releases and the only names I can find in the pitch who are working on this (at least through text, I'm at work so I can't watch the video) are working on the aesthetic side of this project, I can't help but feel a little bit skeptical.

I am however, getting way ahead of myself. Otherside still needs to release Underworld Ascendant, and I haven't even played the demo for this yet.

Varth

People are apparently really expecting a game coming out in 2017 to have a screen filling interface. GAF gonna GAF.

sono

Gold Member
God I remember this game the first time it was released. old confirmed.

I dont have an xbox and cant afford the luxury of one as well as a PS4, otherwise would back it

Dennis

Banned
We filmed the KS video way before we decided to drop "remaster" from the title.

Can we get some more Early Bird pledges?

300 was nothing, all gone. I mean, what was the point? You are not rewarding Early Birds if there are not enough for even a fraction of the people wanting to pledge on Day 1.

TP

The Kickstarter video specifically calls this a remaster.

The kickstarter page says

"A modern take on System Shock, a faithful reboot; it’s not Citadel Station as it was, but as you remember it."

New lamer soundtrack
new features
altered story? (To help shape and direct the existing narrative of System Shock, we've enlisted the help of Chris Avellone)

Do remasters typically go through this many changes? The ones I saw for consoles were just upresed and higher framerates

game was usually the same

this is looking and sounding more like a reboot

I'm not familiar with SS1's music so I'm not sure how well it would translate to a more orchestral score but I know I'd hate it for SS2.
It wouldn't really translate all that well except for maybe one track in the original that was very minimal and ambient by design (the Maintenance deck where the lighting was very dark and filled with invisible mutants).

Most of the tracks in the original System Shock have a sort of driving energy to them that also complements its cyberpunk inspired look, which is something that a score produced by a group like the Prague FILMharmonic Orchestra would contrast with pretty badly. Like, here's a few tracks to show what the original's soundtrack was like.

Reactor
Medical
Intro Theme (Both DOS and MAC OS Versions)

Obviously all this is back when digital audio for games was still primarily MIDI so track and channel switching was easier, but for a sci-fi cyberpunk game it fits the theme. The only example track on that Kickstarter page I felt came anywhere close was Ethical Constraints Removed, as that's more in line with what I want out of a game in this series.

Nzyme32

What no PS4 ?
I hope their kickstarter fails hard for this.

Edit: I'm salty. There, I said it.

''Limited resources''

Developes for Xbox One, yeah right.

A consoles version? No thanks
Would have backed if it was pc only, like it should have been

Bahahaha

Well, we have angry people with only a PS4...and this hopefully sarcastic other angle.

Indeed - however there is legitimate reason to have a concern if you were a die-hard fan of the original PC System Shock, if you were to fear the game being "dumbed down". That is a fair enough reason not to Back the game; it isn't a good reason to discard the idea of buying the game vs a pc exclusive version unless there is something fundamentally broken in the PC version such as UI / gameplay

MaxOfS2D

Artist, Night Dive Studios
How well would the demo run on a Macbook with an integrated GPU? That's really the only platform I have that they're (maybe) supporting.

We've tested the demo on a variety of computers — on my Surface Pro 4, which has an Intel Iris Pro 540, the demo runs at ~25fps in 720p and ~45fps if I drop to 640x400.

So far the game has been developed with a very small team of 4 core people, and only one programmer, so we did not have the manpower required to do more optimization work. We did however get the biggest perf issues out of the way.

Performance on my 970 is only ~50 fps with frequent noticeable dips during action. I haven't played a desktop Unity game recently so I dunno if that is expected or not, but I was surprised how low it was.

Was fine, just surprised.

Trace

Banned
Indeed - however there is legitimate reason to have a concern if you were a die-hard fan of the original PC System Shock, if you were to fear the game being "dumbed down". That is a fair enough reason not to Back the game; it isn't a good reason to discard the idea of buying the game vs a pc exclusive version unless there is something fundamentally broken in the PC version such as UI / gameplay

If you're a diehard fan of the original SS enough that you can't stand QoL changes being made to the game than the original is still there for people to play. No reason you can't like a re-imagining of the same game.

Performance on my 970 is only ~50 fps with frequent noticeable dips during action. I haven't played a desktop Unity game recently so I dunno if that is expected or not, but I was surprised how low it was.

Unity has dogshit performance in general.

Ozium

it's a pre-alpha

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
I really hope they hit 1.9mil and let us use that instead of orchestral soundtrack.

I emailed the developer asking about a PS4 version and was told they are evaluating other platforms but no guarantees at this point.

Top Bottom