• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

System Shock Remastered Kickstarter Launched (PC/XB1) | 900K Goal - Demo Available

Carl

I'd love to play this, but Xbox + PC means i would have no way of doing so, so no point backing for me.

Hope they make their goal though

smisk

It's not like that at all. System shock is a game that cannot work with a console controller without dumbing it down.

Eh, I have have a feeling that's more to do with the overly complex interface. With modern UI and controls I think it could adapt pretty well to a controller.

Instro

Which is why I'm a bit worried about this project. Maybe I'm a bit naive, but Otherside has a bit of talent behind System Shock 3 that makes me a bit more confident in that project. That's not to say that I don't think this could be great, but considering Night Dive has been working on ports/releases and the only names I can find in the pitch who are working on this (at least through text, I'm at work so I can't watch the video) are working on the aesthetic side of this project, I can't help but feel a little bit skeptical.

I am however, getting way ahead of myself. Otherside still needs to release Underworld Ascendant, and I haven't even played the demo for this yet.

Not sure if it is mentioned in the KS, but Nuerath is apparently involved in this remake as well according to the update on Underworld Ascension.

SMG

RobmaMk.gif

New "How can he keep getting away with this!" gif?

Nzyme32

If you're a diehard fan of the original SS enough that you can't stand QoL changes being made to the game than the original is still there for people to play. No reason you can't like a re-imagining of the same game.

If you have the confidence in the development following through with respect to the original PC version and how it plays. My point being - specific to that comment, it is a fair enough reason not to back something, as opposed to the notion of "I don't like x platform therefore I won't back it", which is just stupid.

Don't have a XB1 and I'm fairly sure my Mac won't run it.
Good luck but I can't help with donating without knowing if I'll ever be able to play the finished product!

Hope it's awesome once done!

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Funniest kickstarter video I've ever seen.

Looking forward to this. I hope they reach there stretch goal so they include VR support. That would be awesome.

The devs are great. The remake of Turok was awesome. The only negative is the Unity engine. I hope they move to UE4 soon.

derFeef

Looking forward to this. I hope they reach there stretch goal so they include VR support. That would be awesome.

The devs are great. The remake of Turok was awesome. The only negative is the Unity engine. I hope they move to UE4 soon.

They won't switch engine now, that seems like a really bad idea.

Ludens

Banned

Turok isn't a remake.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Do you know the differences between Xcom 2 and SS?

It was a throwaway snarky remark because Xcom 2 originally was OC only and one reasons cited was the unsuitability of the UI for consoles. And now it's coming to consoles.

I've never played any system shock games so it wasn't meant as anything more than that. Although looking at examples of the original UI, I think minecraft could be an example of how a drag and drop inventory management system can be brought to console and work well. And it doesn't have to compromise the PC version.

Also worth bearing in mind that some of us might just be crazy enough to want the option to play on PC with a controller

Nzyme32

We have been working with Videri String Quartet, and we are in talks with Prague's FILMharmonic Orchestra about recording the score for System Shock.

Mafia 2, Civ V, Stalker, all were fantastic scores

teiresias

SS series has drag and drop inventories and selectable UI options

1V0qFsg.jpg

HkTNgzi.jpg

It would have to be redesigned to work for controller

demo UI currently looks like this

UI options are gone
vnRg5qj.jpg

inventory is full screen

enGo6vp.png

that's something that would work for controllers but would be annoying for mouse and keyboard

The controller doesn't even work in the inventory or game options menu for me anyway, so it's pretty broken with a controller anyway. You have to reach for your mouse to even use the inventory, not too bad at my desk computer, a pain on the HTPC. It's pre-alpha though, so not really a huge deal so long as it's remedied.

I don't really see the problem with people saying they won't back a Kickstarter in a thread about said Kickstarter when they wouldn't be able to play the game given the supported platforms. Granted, it needs to be done in a non-incendiary way though, and begging for the whole thing to fail is stupid. One thing annoying about Kickstarter is not having anywy through the kickstarter page to pass feedback like that along to the dev, so they know, hey, you're losing out on funding not supporting said platform.

We've tested the demo on a variety of computers — on my Surface Pro 4, which has an Intel Iris Pro 540, the demo runs at ~25fps in 720p and ~45fps if I drop to 640x400.

So far the game has been developed with a very small team of 4 core people, and only one programmer, so we did not have the manpower required to do more optimization work. We did however get the biggest perf issues out of the way.

Thanks for the info! Doesn't sound too promising for my Macbook, unfortunately.

RedRum

Banned
SS series has drag and drop inventories and selectable UI options

1V0qFsg.jpg

HkTNgzi.jpg

It would have to be redesigned to work for controller

demo UI currently looks like this

UI options are gone
vnRg5qj.jpg

inventory is full screen

enGo6vp.png

that's something that would work for controllers but would be annoying for mouse and keyboard

Missed your post with the new page. I see what you're saying. I think there was mention of K&M support for XB1 coming but no one should hold their breath. Hopefully it's modified either way to work.

Varth

Eh, I have have a feeling that's more to do with the overly complex interface. With modern UI and controls I think it could adapt pretty well to a controller.

And thats one of the first things Spector put as a prerequisite for the game to work today.

Rellik

Performance on my 970 is only ~50 fps with frequent noticeable dips during action. I haven't played a desktop Unity game recently so I dunno if that is expected or not, but I was surprised how low it was.

Was fine, just surprised.

What's your CPU? I'm getting between 70fps to 90fps on the same GPU with a i7 3770/16GB RAM. Still quite big drops, but it's not gone near 50 for me.

RedRum

Banned
We've tested the demo on a variety of computers — on my Surface Pro 4, which has an Intel Iris Pro 540, the demo runs at ~25fps in 720p and ~45fps if I drop to 640x400.

So far the game has been developed with a very small team of 4 core people, and only one programmer, so we did not have the manpower required to do more optimization work. We did however get the biggest perf issues out of the way.

One coder? Wow. This seems like a lot of work for 5 guys. God luck!

Well as someone who has never touched the System Shock games but always wanted to, I enjoyed that demo. It was enough to get me to back it at $30 and it left me wanting to know the story of this station. I have such a soft spot for games like this. The UI, movement, combat, and interactions are all very old feeling but not in a bad way I thought. For whatever reason, I really enjoyed right clicking on things in the environment and the way the text comes up. Good stuff. Cool to see a remake stick seemingly very faithfully to the original. I hope the final product turns out great.

Zabojnik

Short and sweet demo. They definitely nailed the look & feel. It run fine for me on a 970 GTX.

I know both System Shocks by heart, so I'm excited that they're adding new (story) content.

Will probably back for 150$ next month.

Boke1879

Gonna hold off a bit in hopes that a PS4 version is announced. If so I'll back. If not I'll wait until the last day to pledge.

owasog

No vsync in the demo and forcing it in nvidia control panel doesn't seem to do anything? It has the famous Unity Engine microstutter going on so this is unplayable for me. Pass.

Copy--pasted from the now-closed demo thread:
Performance is terrible for me with a single GTX 970. Steam's FPS overlay shows 60-70 FPS, but it feels like 30 or below. I hope to god they make the full game perform better, but since it's running on the Unity engine I won't hold my breath...

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Performance is terrible for me with a single GTX 970. Steam's FPS overlay shows 60-70 FPS, but it feels like 30 or below. I hope to god they make the full game perform better, but since it's running on the Unity engine I won't hold my breath...

Bro. It's a kickstarted that launched today for a game that wont launch for at least one and a half years.

Better panic.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

It's a proof of concept demo made by 4 dudes. They are obviously going to put some time in to optimizing the final product.

Lork

Supposedly they'll be changing layouts (why, when it is supposed to be a remake. Keep like 90% of it, IMO), so I'd say textures and stuff will be changed as well.
Just so we're clear, the textures in this demo are not from the original game. They're new ones made in a relatively low resolution and left unfiltered.

The original game said:

Mivey

Like the game, despite its engine. Maybe their current version is doing something totall crazy, like no culling at all, but it feels all around sluggish and the frame pacing is horrid. It makes Dreamfall Chapters look fluid.
I wouldn't care if a clearly superior engine was not available for the same price point.

Top Bottom