• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

System Shock Remastered Kickstarter Launched (PC/XB1) | 900K Goal - Demo Available

Some of the fanboy war stuff in this thread is shocking.
At least it's nothing like the loudmouthed idiocy surrounding Shenmue 3's funding, but yes, man, what a great first few pages.

ANYWAYS, backed with the fury of a thousand suns, I'm extremely impressed with their "redux" work. Only played SS2 a few years ago but I'm so in- SS as it is now is hard to get into even with my patience level.

Dennis

Banned
Not sure I am sold on the idea of not filtering the textures.

How difficult would it be to have filtered textures as an option?

My nostalgia doesn't include the graphics.......the whole point of the remaster is to upgrade the visuals...

They probably did. Sony never got back to them. End of Discussion.

All of you whining about a PS4 version are completely missing the point: It's not happening (currently), either you back and play on another platform than the one you desire, or you don't. And if you don't, don't come in here and go "well I'm not backing back there's no PS4 version" and expect people to be happy and/or accommodating with your pig-headedness.

Who's 'whining' about no PS4 version? It's totally fair to state why you're not backing in a KS thread that the creators, this being GAF and all, will probably see.

Beyond that, I just think it's bizarre that they'd choose a multi-platform engine like Unity and then basically only release it on one platform (XB1 and PC are more or less one platform at this point). Might as well just go with UE4.

Are the Unity issues that people are complaining about a console thing? I can't say I've noticed anything particularly unusual.

Who's 'whining' about no PS4 version? It's totally fair to state why you're not backing in a KS thread that the creators, this being GAF and all, will probably see.

Beyond that, I just think it's bizarre that they'd choose a multi-platform engine like Unity and then basically only release it on one platform (XB1 and PC are more or less one platform at this point). Might as well just go with UE4.

Erm developing between Xbox One and PC is not trivial, so no, it's not one platform. As for the engine, probably licensing and support. Unity is definitely more popular with the smallest devs, and Night Dive are pretty much a skeleton crew.

Eusis

Surprised at how slow this one seems to be moving. Might struggle to reach those upper stretch goals.
It's why I asked earlier about how normal this is as a refresher. Stuff like Bloodstained and Torment shot forward at a stupefying pace, but this seems more like I vaguely recall Bard's Tale IV going.

Lork

Not sure I am sold on the idea of not filtering the textures.

How difficult would it be to have filtered textures as an option?

My nostalgia doesn't include the graphics.......the whole point of the remaster is to upgrade the visuals...
Chunky "pixel art" textures like these look like a horrendous smudgy mess if you filter them, in much the same way that emulated pixel art games do. They'd have to create an entirely different set of textures to do what you're asking for and have it look good.

Ozium

It's why I asked earlier about how normal this is as a refresher. Stuff like Bloodstained and Torment shot forward at a stupefying pace, but this seems more like I vaguely recall Bard's Tale IV going.

bard's tale earned 1.5 Million tho, this will be fine

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
It's only been out 5 hours and it's already 25% of the way to the first stretch goal.

Seriously. Like, I get that there's a certain expectation for high-profile franchises to get funded immediately, especially after stuff like Shenmue III, but... c'mon. This is doing just fine, and it's averaging $45k an hour so far.

Mivey

You have to admit though that a large number of high profile Unity releases have been iffy (PoE and Wasteland 2 are still buggy, Wasteland more so).
General bugs cannot be associated to the engine. That's like saying you can't do consistent arithmetic on Unity.
It's usually technical issues that you see cropping up, like poor frame pacing, uneven performance (heard about culling a lot, since that is apparently not done by Unity itself very well). And it's not a magical thing that precisely such issues crop up: Unity is using a garbage collected approach that makes it harder to control memory stuff (freeing/allocating).

Tabarin

Banned
Great demo... since I never touched SS (not sure why since at the time I was playing all sort of games) it will be an absolute blast for me

Hawk269

In the 6 and 1/2 minutes watching the video they posted, I saw the number increase by almost $10,000.00. That is impressive and they still have till the 29th or so of July. I made my commitment and hope they get to the higher levels to make the game as good as it can.

Eusis

I wonder if I'm remembering that one right however. Well, this is still only a few hours old, need to see where it is this time tomorrow. If it got about as much as that or more I won't worry much then.

~Kinggi~

Banned

Bards Tale lasted for like 40+ days, but yes, it was slow and didnt have big pushes. Which actually surprised me cause the concept video they released looked incredible, like they were clearly aiming high.

That one moved reaaaallly slow to get there, too. Didn't really follow the usual Kickstarter trends, if I recall. 80's RPG nostalgia is a tougher sell than the 90's/early 00's stuff on Kickstarter.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this rip though a few stretch goals by the end.

Thankfully they haven't put the world in a promise on those stretch goals. For me, they are pretty take or leave.

If there was assurance that Xbox One players will be able to try the betas and alphas they are posting in the various tiers I would jump in. But it seems like console players are being left behind currently (no Xbox One demo and no PS4 version in sight) so I am waiting for retail.

~Kinggi~

Banned
It turns out, nobody cares about blobbers anymore.

:(

nah people care. Grimrock did alright. Its just hard to make those games appealing now. But Bard's has the graphics and shit, that will help a lot. Plus they created that whole New Orleans studio to do Bard's, they must have help in the funding dept

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I thought it was pretty boring honestly, just so slow and boring. I guess you need to be a fan of the series already to appreciate such an early build.

I have a AMD Phenom 965 at stock, GTX 760 2GB and 8GB ram and was able to get the demo to run at 70fps with some dips at 1600x900 windowed.

Spider robots freaked out of existance on me and I couldnt use grenades nor use the battery pack on my gun. Don't know if it was the game or my end though.

Either way being able to play it with below the minimum cpu was good enough for me!

ArjanN

It nearly ruined a great game in Might and Magic X. Load times are a massive issue in Pillars of Eternity. I can't really think of a Unity game that doesn't have performance problems or other major issues.

Ori, Assualt Android Cactus. SUPERHOT, Firewatch, Oxenfree, Shadowrun, Crawl, Last Fight etc etc

Can't speak for the console versions though, but I suspect the issues with some Unity games are also in part because it's tons of indie developers using it who don't always have the knowhow/time/budget to polish performance.

Arulan

It turns out, nobody cares about blobbers anymore.

Might & Magic X - Legacy

Owners: 168,678 ± 10,642

Legend of Grimrock

Owners: 927,288 ± 24,923

Legend of Grimrock 2

Owners: 249,235 ± 12,935

I somehow get the feeling that a lot of people who bought the first LoG had no idea what type of game it was.

Maybe they can just re-use the assets from the previous Heroes game like they did with M&MX, and Ubisoft will let them do another...

sn00zer

Lol you're so defensive. Unity is fucking trash, every single major game made on the engine so far has horrendous performance issues besides maybe Firewatch.

200k in 5 hours is really good. It has a solid chance at hitting the stretch goals, and a lot of final 24 hr pushes result in huge gains.

Assault Android Cactus?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Who's "hero_thanks" in the ref link in OP?

a hero is a type of advertising unit--ks uses that part of the link the tell where clicks came from. i'm assuming either a hero ad on night dive's site or email newsletter. it's not a referral link, KS doesn't have referral links.

DeadTrees

$1.7m Goal : Enemy limb dismemberment, More puzzles, Ammo types/weapon settings, Vending machines, Basic crafting/research, RPG leveling with perks/skills, Weapon upgrading, Hardcore mode (No respawning), Ironman mode (Only 1 savegame. If you die, the save is deleted)
And here is my problem. Once you add stretch goals to attract people who don't care about the game, you are basically making Bioshock.

Bioshock = stripped down features

Adding features = the opposite of Bioshock

I don't understand what your concern is.

Adding systems...that weren't in the original...will make it more like Bioshock...which means...less systems?

mpathgfwsov.jpg

Oh hey, they made recharging at a station look like getting the Electro Bolt plasmid in the first Bioshock. Play the demo, there might be even more things to be outraged about!

Wanderer5

Ori, Assualt Android Cactus. SUPERHOT, Firewatch, Oxenfree, Shadowrun, Crawl, Last Fight etc etc

Can't speak for the console versions though, but I suspect the issues with some Unity games are also in part because it's tons of indie developers using it who don't always have the knowhow/time/budget to polish performance.

They're mobile (a good area for Unity through), but I think Monument Valley and Lara Croft Go were both lovely games that are on Unity and ran fine. Wonder how Hitman Go did on its re-release on PS4, Vita, and PC.

I somehow miss that Ori was on Unity lol.

Lol you're so defensive. Unity is fucking trash, every single major game made on the engine so far has horrendous performance issues besides maybe Firewatch.
This isn't true at all. Unity isn't the greatest engine in the world but it's pretty solid and there have been a tonne of fantastic and technically solid games released on it.

Top Bottom