• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

System Shock Remastered Kickstarter Launched (PC/XB1) | 900K Goal - Demo Available

Funded!

CmDkzG0WEAAgEEV.jpg:small

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock?ref=hero_thanks

Platforms: PC, XB1, PS4
Engine: Unity
Tentative Release Window: Dec 2017

Stretch Goals
1.1 Million: Mac/Linux and Razer Chrome support.
1.2 Million: Multi-language support for French, German, Spanish and Italian.
1.3 Million: Additional locations and expanded narrative.

1.4 Million: Updates to the core design.
1.5 Million: Full orchestral score.
1.7 Million: Additional scenario and death cinematics.
1.9 Million: Soundtrack remix of the original game.
???
???
???

Story
Caught during a risky break-in, you become indentured to a greedy TriOptimum executive. After six months in a healing coma, you awaken to discover the surgeons are missing, the station is in disrepair, and the once-prime corporate facility now teems with mindless cyborgs, robots, and mutated beings, all programmed to serve a ruthless A.I.: SHODAN. There's scarcely time to think before it unleashes the first terror...

To help shape and direct the existing narrative of System Shock, we've enlisted the help of Chris Avellone, who is best known for his work on a number of role-playing games, including; Fallout: New Vegas, Wasteland 2, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II, Planescape: Torment, and Fallout 2. Chris will be working closely with Stephen Kick (our Creative Director) and Jason Fader (our Project Director and Senior Producer from Fallout: New Vegas) as well as several other key developers from Fallout: New Vegas to bring modern AAA quality into the world of System Shock.

General Features
→ A modern take on System Shock, a faithful reboot; it’s not Citadel Station as it was, but as you remember it. Many improvements, overhauls and changes are being implemented to capture the spirit of what the original game was trying to convey, and bring it to contemporary gamers.
→ Re-imagined enemies, weapons, and locations by original concept artist Robb Waters.
→ Terri Brosius reprises her role as SHODAN, and new VO will be recorded.
→ Brand new musical score composed by Jonathan Peros.
→ The user interface, game mechanics, enemies, and puzzles will be updated to reflect modern aesthetics and sensibilities, while maintaining the feel of the original.

Scope Features
→ $900k Goal: Modern Inventory Management, Modern Controls, New Puzzles, Updated Faithful Levels, Game Difficulty Modes.
→ $1.7m Goal : Enemy limb dismemberment, More puzzles, Ammo types/weapon settings, Vending machines, Basic crafting/research, RPG leveling with perks/skills, Weapon upgrading, Hardcore mode (No respawning), Ironman mode (Only 1 savegame. If you die, the save is deleted)

Art Direction
We wanted the art of System Shock to be fresh and new while still remaining true to the aesthetics of the 1994 classic. We've maintained much of the original look, while accentuating it beautifully by an array of modern rendering features such as Physically Based Rendering (PBR), screen-space reflections, real-time global illumination, ambient occlusion (HBAO), volumetric particles, and dynamic lighting. It's the world you remember:

w6rMMzI.png

Demo Links
Steam
GOG
Humble Bundle

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
I would back it if there was PS4 plan.

New Cortex Reaver art looks great. One of the first things I ever saw for System Shock was the game-over screen with them; it was pretty terrifying back them.

NYNy4zJ.jpg

Are they not allowed to release this game on ps4 or is it just their choice?

They have "Xbox" listed as a partner. Perhaps they have a deal with MS for some form of exclusivity.

kenta

Has no PEINS
This looks great, plus huge props for the way they're handling the Kickstarter. Putting out a demo alongside the launch is a great idea -- hope it pays off and sets a precedent. Looking forward to the game eventually hitting a platform I own :p

TP

$1.7m Goal : Enemy limb dismemberment, More puzzles, Ammo types/weapon settings, Vending machines, Basic crafting/research, RPG leveling with perks/skills, Weapon upgrading, Hardcore mode (No respawning), Ironman mode (Only 1 savegame. If you die, the save is deleted)

ehhhhh, i'm not sure how to feel about this

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
The early bird tier's gone already, lol. Sold out like 2 minutes after I pledged.

Tapejara

Watched some footage of the demo (going to have to wait until I replace my GPU to play the demo for myself) and it looked great. In for the Xbox One version!

Tain

I came to the conclusion last year that I may never really get into the original System Shock, not enough to finish it.

I should give the demo a shot, though, and see if this remake (pfffft "remaster", get out of here) makes it a better game for me.

Instro

$1.7m Goal : Enemy limb dismemberment, More puzzles, Ammo types/weapon settings, Vending machines, Basic crafting/research, RPG leveling with perks/skills, Weapon upgrading, Hardcore mode (No respawning), Ironman mode (Only 1 savegame. If you die, the save is deleted)

It's been a little while, but isn't a lot of that stuff in SS2 in one form or another? In any event it makes sense to update the game with additional RPG mechanics that are standard post SS1.

Aren't those SS2-esque aspects? Sounds like they'd be making this more like SS2. Not a bad thing IMO

low-G

I pledged, but if you only own a PS4 it's totally OK not to pledge. Wouldn't make sense to pay for a game you can't play. That said... the fanboyism.

Not been this hyped for a KickStarter since Overload. Gonna be watching this one as they reach goals.

I would back this if I had money, but life stuff. Also, I'm pretty sure if sales are good, they would think about porting to PS4, too. Folks in here are jumping the gun a bit too early, imo.

Edit: Hmm, saw the page with those supporting the SS remake. I apologize for my rude words, looks like I jumped the gun in this case. I would still back this for PC.

Top Bottom