• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tabata: Future Final Fantasy XV DLC will patch plot holes, next game new IP

MoonFrog

I do admire that they try to fix these things.

Final Fantasy XV wanted to be Final Fantasy VI in scope--Magitek army abusing summons on another continent; world of ruin--coupled with the whole modern royalty and boys' road trip schticks with cutting edge production values and an open world. It could've been quite something, tbh. The problem is it ended up being less than the bare minimum it needed to be to tell its story and explore its world when the Final Fantasies of yore used to comfortably exceed that minimum even when they ran into cuts and what not for budget, time, and vision problems. So we ended up with a, imo, disappointing game with undercooked characters, underwritten plot points, and under-developed or non-existant "levels."

But their attitude towards it has been pretty good imo.

Although the bit about PlayStation 5 does have me thinking that once again we're going to get the Final Fantasy where scope and ambition are crushed by cutting-edge production.

Zafir

It's a nice thought that they want to fix it, but I do think it's a bit of a futile endeavour without totally reworking the structure of the game, and a lot of the story beats.

At this point I'd rather them just learn from their mistakes for future projects, so we don't have to go through plot-patches again. I don't think patches should ever be used to fix the plot, not unless it's an early access game anyway. Patches should be for bug fixing and extra-content. The plot should be solid from the get go.

FiveSide

Banned
So Tabata's vision for this next project requires Playstation 5 hardware...

A console that isn't coming for 3 years.

Kojima's PS4 game prolly isn't coming for 3 years.

CD Projekt Red's Cyberpunk 2077, which is for THIS gen, prolly isn't coming for 3 years.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake prolly isn't coming for 2-3 years.

PS5 is going to have a hell of a launch year!

I have no problem with patching in plot holes in this particular case. I'd care if they were changing content from the original vision. But I think it's clear in this case that they're just adding stuff in that they probably would've added in anyway, if it hadn't been for the troubled production.

Top Bottom