• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tabata: IF FFXV had PC version, won't be direct port, wants it to be a Tech Showcase

benzy

JeuxVideo France has a new interview with Tabata here: http://www.jeuxvideo.com/videos/rep...-hajime-tabata-repond-aux-a-vos-questions.htm

NoctisPendragon from Gamefaq translated some bits and Tabata talked about what he would like to do with a PC version.

- If there were to be a PC version, Tabata wants it to be a different kind of project
- Would like to use the PC version as a tech showcase
- PC version would have latest tech not possible with console limitations
- But if they proceed with this kind of project, they will have to do a tech overhaul and redo some R&D to see what new tech they can use to "rebuild the game."
- Wants to do it once console version is finished, although plans not set in stone​

A week ago the official FFXV twitter page said this:
https://twitter.com/FFXVEN/status/715587589970010112
"The DX11 generation tech used for #FFXV is for console only. Once FFXV is out on console we may look at a higher spec version for PC"​

*NoctisPendragon is fluent in French, but if anyone else wants to verify the video interview info, that'd be cool.

PC warriors rejoice Tabata won't fail you.

hpVnUek.gif

Mifec

tfw a Japanese dev has the right idea how to do PC versions.

Guess I finally see what you guys see in Tabata, or well I'll see it if he does it.

Sakujou

Banned
Or better, learn to do it right?

or this.

i remember people waiting for re4, dark souls, devil may cry3+4 being the better versions on pc only to see how hard japanese devs disappointed their fans.

was there ever a good japanese console to pc port?

So taken at face value, he could be talking about rewriting the renderer and re-architecting the game around DirectX 12 -- besides any other graphical features they want to add.

japanese games as pc versions are always a fail.

let durante fix it.

Except FROM Software learned how to do it by Dark Souls 3?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Guess it'll kinda be a Last Remnant situation with how he is talking about it I suppose, but either way I'm down for a PC version.

Shantom

or this.

i remember people waiting for re4, dark souls, devil may cry3+4 being the better versions on pc only to see how hard japanese devs disappointed their fans.

RE4's second attempt and DMC4 are both excellent ports.

Mifec

or this.

Wait what was wrong with DMC4? Also last gen most MTFramework games were great. DS2 was good minus the dura bug, DS3 looks to be great.

I'll build a PC just for XV ( I'm not even a PC gamer ) but for this game I'll do it.

Good, good :D

or this.

Have you looked at Steam over the past two years?

artsi

Final Fantasy XIV is pretty amazing on PC, BTW. Well optimized and looks nice for an MMO.

SE can do it right if they want to.

RK9039

Cool, I guess I don't need to buy it on PS4.

Final Fantasy XIV is pretty amazing on PC, BTW. Well optimized and looks nice for an MMO.

SE can do it right if they want to.

Exactly, that game is really pretty for a MMO.

Kindekuma

Banned
It'd be cool to see how the luminous engine performs on PC. But I have my concerns considering how much the console versions are struggling to maintain a constant framerate.

MUnited83

For you.
In one hand, it's dumb to not have it being day and date with consoles. In the other hand, a proper PC version that would take great advantage of the platform would be awesome and worth the wait.

ZeroX03

Banned
"If we were to port it, it'd be different so consumers would totally be down to double dip and consider the delay justified"

Stop pretending the port isn't planned Tabata, if not already in development.

PC version + possible PS4k / XB1.5 (NX?) enhanced re-release in late 2017 seems like a safe bet.

Do the GTAV release thing. 360/ps3 one year. Pretty version on new boxes the next year.

Only problem I could see is if the game turns out to be bad. Doing another port of a bad game that wont sell great would be a waste of everyones time.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
i only remember tales of being a bad port. usually i buy games on consoles.

i really hope tabata making a faithful port to pc.

but first please stabilize the FPS on consoles.

Zestiria is a good port but Symphonia is bad since it looks like they cheaped out on it. Framerate issues were solved in Zestiria's engine through mods too and put in a new limiter that doesn't stutter.

tuxfool

Banned
Will the steam sales numbers reward the extra effort?

Making a proper a proper port with dedicated features is going to be much more popular than a crappy delayed port.

However, success will also be very dependent on the game actually being good.

Elandyll

Banned
He says if they do one, he'd want to "restart from scratch", as they had to drop some elements he had in mind and if they go PC he'd rather have a shot at putting those in.

Won't be any time soon according to the itv.

benzy

"if I did it"

Which is why I emphasized the IF :p But it's interesting he goes into more detail here. Usually when Tabata said he wants to do something regarding FFXV, it happens.

They openly recognized the PC calling too.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1202836&page=1
FFXV director Hajime Tabata told Engadget that the studio isn't currently working on a PC version of the game. But, Tabata said he was "aware of the big call for a PC version."

Top Bottom