• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taco Bell testing fast-casual concept restaurant "U.S. Taco Co." to take on Chipotle

Status
Not open for further replies.

.GqueB.

Banned
MY uncle has a theory that it's a mental disease. I'm not kidding, he's talked at-length about it: he thinks its a compulsion where you can't make it through the day unless you make sure other people see what you are doing. HE said they are trying to add scarce meaning to an empty life. He said it's the same as people who put their political and religious beliefs on bumper stickers.

HE gave a similar rant about reality tv watchers being so unhappy with their own life that voyeurism is their only escape

I'm gonna be honest here...

That sounds kind of interesting to me. I mean when you think about it, only a certain type of person has the desire to share things to that degree. And only a certain type of person can watch certain reality shows. I know some people that likes to indulge in those things some of the time but the people that do them REALLY do them to the point where it seems a little excessive. My girlfriend is a big sharer. She can't do much of anything without sharing it.

I wonder...

Anyways... that place looks awesome.

Partition

Banned
TsI6LCo.jpg

if your order only have one taco, those are some really expensive tacos. LOL.

eh, two tacos would be around $8-9, which is how much I usually spend at Chipotle. These look a bit more inventive and more exciting to eat than a typical Chipotle burrito anyway.

GhaleonEB

Those menu names are trying too hard. And they have two items called the same - a taco and fries called Winner Winner. So I guess you could order the Winner Winner with a side of Winner Winner.

I'm gonna be honest here...

That sounds kind of interesting to me. I mean when you think about it, only a certain type of person has the desire to share things to that degree. And only a certain type of person can watch certain reality shows. I know some people that likes to indulge in those things some of the time but the people that do them REALLY do them to the point where it seems a little excessive. My girlfriend is a big sharer. She can't do much of anything without sharing it.

I wonder...

Anyways... that place looks awesome.

Yeah this isn't the thread for it and I never made one but I found it very interesting. My father has similar views about reality tv and I'm on board with the bumper sticker theory at least. When you think about it, you sure as heck aren't reminding yourself what you believe in so the very nature of those stickers is kind of agressive. When you see someone with a dozen of them, I think it indicates a problem.

bigkrev

Those menu names are trying too hard. And they have two items called the same - a taco and fries called Winner Winner. So I guess you could order the Winner Winner with a side of Winner Winner.

All 3 loaded fries have the same name as a Taco. My guess is that the fries come topped in whatever the content of the Taco would be

sohois

All 3 loaded fries have the same name as a Taco. My guess is that the fries come topped in whatever the content of the Taco would be

Toppings offered on the tacos can also be placed on an order of fries.

In the initial article

jchap

Prices are insane if those are for single items. I miss living in Texas where authentic Mexican food is also inexpensive. Mexican food is mostly originating from street foods for the masses... these places are making it up and making insane profit margins. I was in a Mexican restaurant the other day (Northern VA) and saw that Chorizo and Eggs were one of the more expensive items on the menu. Two of the cheapest possible proteins prepared in a simple way (scrambled) with dirt cheap rice and beans were marked up to ridiculous levels. It blew my mind.

Partition

Banned
tbh $3.50 for a single mahi taco isn't overpriced at all. the only CRAZY price is that $10 for a single lobster taco, which wouldn't fill you up anyway.

zruben

Banned
eh, two tacos would be around $8-9, which is how much I usually spend at Chipotle. These look a bit more inventive and more exciting to eat than a typical Chipotle burrito anyway.

what?? really??...

man, you guys are getting ripped off...
In any mexican taqueria you can get something like this for about 3 bucks.
tacosdebisteck_superantojo.jpg

the "magic" of the tacos is that the raw ingredients to make them are dirty cheap.

what?? really??...

the "magic" of the tacos is that the raw ingredients to make them are dirty cheap.

damn this looks tasty

edit: gonna go out and get some tacos now

Partition

Banned
what?? really??...

Street tacos are pretty good, but they are cheap because they are small, and only have usually a cheap cut of beef on them with some onion and cilantro. These tacos aren't really comparable.

zruben

Banned
Street tacos are pretty good, but they are cheap because they are small, and only have usually a cheap cut of beef on them with some onion and cilantro. These tacos aren't really comparable.

I see them like they are about the same size.
1ffnNHl.jpg

maybe the beef is better, but I still think it's crazy pricing.
well, I'm not on the USA, so I guess my opinion is kinda irrelevant here =/

oh, and also... Tacos and Milkshakes is a VERY BAD IDEA... even a mexican with iron stomach would get diarrhea with that combination.

mcfrank

what?? really??...

In Huntington Beach, CA that would be more like $7 dollars. At King Taco, tacos like that are $1.29 each without the side of avacado.

outsidah

Looks like they are trying to hard. No one has been able to touch Chipotle in my book but I welcome the competition.

mcfrank

I see them like they are about the same size.
1ffnNHl.jpg

maybe the beef is better, but I still think it's crazy pricing.
well, I'm not on the USA, so I guess my opinion is kinda irrelevant here =/

oh, and also... Tacos and Milkshakes is a VERY BAD IDEA... even a mexican with iron stomach would get diarrhea with that combination.

That meal is

4.50 for the taco
4.50 for the shake
2.75 for the fries

$11.75 - which is on the medium high side by So Cal standards for fast casual.

.GqueB.

Banned
Yeah this isn't the thread for it and I never made one but I found it very interesting. My father has similar views about reality tv and I'm on board with the bumper sticker theory at least. When you think about it, you sure as heck aren't reminding yourself what you believe in so the very nature of those stickers is kind of agressive. When you see someone with a dozen of them, I think it indicates a problem.
Agreed. This thread is about tacos. But you certainly have me thinking. Interesting indeed...

And damn this place looks good. Love the branding too.

The design and the menu names are so tacky. They're taking trying-too-hard to a new level. And I'm just imagining ordering there; saying that I want "two Wanna Get Lei'ds"... ugh.

Mechazawa

"Hey, what if we took our dumb ass stoner pandering mentality, and did it with a bunch of overpriced Chipotle styled food."

Even the name is stupid.

pgtl_10

I love taco bell more than any other Mexican inspired restaurant. I just wish they keep the Chili Cheese Burrito.:(

Can I make my own Doritos Locos?

Panda Express has something like this in Arcadia, CA, called Innovation Kitchen or something like that. It's pretty bad. Imagine stuffing Panda Express food into a burrito.

Raistlin

Uhhh ... all the loaded fries are named after a taco

Wait ... this info was in the OP.

BAN THY SELF!!!!!!!!

knicks

Taco Bell has been dead to me ever since the up-rise of quick Mexican cuisine.

Chipotle, Qdoba and Moe's have made me forget that Taco Bell exist. Though Taco Bell is still good for people who are on budget/low income areas.

Blastoise

Banned
Why do they have to use jars tho?

It just screams hip marketing executives trying to cash in on the hipster culture. Which is probably all true. I guess I answered my own question. Thanks. Bye.

otapnam

Taco Bell has been dead to me ever since the up-rise of quick Mexican cuisine.

Chipotle, Qdoba and Moe's have made me forget that Taco Bell exist. Though Taco Bell is still good for people who are on budget/low income areas.

Yeah. Its good for that specific taste of fast food they provide and morning/late hr service.

Raistlin

Why do they have to use jars tho?

It just screams hip marketing executives trying to cash in on the hipster culture. Which is probably all true. I guess I answered my own question. Thanks. Bye.
Actually, I suspect it's more for the fact mason jars are used a ton in the south and Mexico.

Weirdly, I've been really into them lately ... and replacing a lot of old glasses/mugs/containers with them. I really hope they aren't getting big with hipsters :\

Shit, I'm drinking out of a blue glass mason jar mug right now, had some lids delivered yesterday from Amazon, and bought some other lids from Target a few hours ago :\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom