• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together |OT|: Fat Bottomed Girls

Peff

1odB3.jpg

=========
~Information~
=========

Title: Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
Publisher/Developer: Square-Enix
Platform: PlayStation Portable [PSP]
Genre: Strategy RPG
Rating: CERO B (Japan)/T for Teen (US)/12+ (Europe)
Official Website: http://www.tacticsogregame.com/
Data Install: 665 MB.
PSN Release:February 15, 2011 (US), February 25, 2011 (Europe).

US Version
  • Cover
soZH1.jpg

• Release date
February 15, 2011

• Price
39,99$

• Pre-order bonus
Exclusive 22 card tarot deck illustrated by Akihiko Yoshida.
G5nG5.jpg

EUR Version

• Cover
wQrhj.jpg

• Release date
February 25, 2011

• Price
39,95€/34.95£

• Premium Edition
Includes:

undht.jpg

- Collector's Box
- A 44-page hardback artbook: 'The World of TACTICS OGRE'
- Mini-CD with a sampler of the OST.
- A voucher that grants 50% off the purchase of Vagrant Story from the PlayStation Network

The pre-order tarot card deck is also being offered here.

========
~Features~
========

* Strategic, turn-based battles are brought to life with stunning graphics, sound effects and animation.
* New 3D maps enhance the concept of height and the improved battle engine offers more compelling and realistic battles than ever before.
* Uncover the truth in a gripping tale of intrigue, betrayal and heroism.
* Near-endless customization and hundreds of abilities to choose from.
* New characters not included in the original game.
* New skills add to the range of play beyond magic and special abilities.
* New graphics, music, gameplay and much more make this the definitive version of TACTICS OGRE.
* New and improved visuals create a TACTICS OGRE experience with more detail than ever before.
* Re-arranged soundtrack from the original composers including 15 new compositions.

======
~Story~
======

Behold the Valerian Isles, jewels of the Obero Sea. Long a center of naval commerce, the people here have struggled throughout history for dominion over these shores.

Finally there rose a man to put an end to this conflict. His name: Dorgalua Oberyth. But history would know him as the Dynast-King. Dorgalua took the disparate races of men calling the islands home and united them as one. For fully half a century the Dynast King reigned, and Valeria knew prosperity.

Upon the death of the King, the ruling Bakram declared the independence of their Royal City of Heim. And backed by the Holy Lodissian Empire to the North, created the Bakram-Valerian Kingdom.

This left two clans to vie for supremacy in the south: the Galgastani and the Walister. However, they were far outmatched, and in the span of half a year had been brought to their knees. Thus emerged the Kingdom of Galgastan, and with it an official end to The Blood War.

Victory begets peace, and for once, the battlefields of Valeria stand silent. Yet none believe the calm will last.

========
~Gameplay~
========

Google spreadsheet with items/skills/cards...

The Basics:

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together is a Japanese Strategy RPG. The game is divided in Battle segments, where the player army fights the enemy with a grid-based battle system, and the Management segments, where the player visits town to acquire new equipment, recruits new units and prepares the characters for the challenges to come. Intersected between these are cutscenes that advance the plot and occasionally require the player to make decisions that will affect the plot, leading to different outcomes, characters and endings.

The W.O.R.L.D.:

After finishing the game, the player will be allowed to use the W.O.R.L.D. system in order to return to any previous anchor point of the storyline and continue playing from there, changing the decisions made and opening new branching paths. While certain characters that are important to the plot cannot be moved back in time, for the most part the player will be allowed to retain the levels and items obtained, but on the other hand battles will also be scaled to the current level, plus enemy equipment will be stronger.

The C.H.A.R.I.O.T.
:

This system named after the tarot card allows the player to press the L button to revert to a certain previous point in a battle to correct a mistake made, as long as it is within 50 character turns (which more or less equals two full party turns). There is no actual gameplay penalty for using this system, although any unchanged action will not be recalculated (meaning that it is impossible to keep rewinding to that deadly last hit and expect it to miss) and the Warren Report will keep a record of how many times you have won a battle without resorting to a Chariot card.

Permadeath:

Whereas the original version of the game simply had each dead unit disappear forever after the battle and a very rare revival method, this PSP remake is more lenient, with a new system based on Final Fantasy Tactics. Now, any unit that is knocked out during battle will have a 3-turn counter. Once it reaches zero, said unit will lose one of his or her three hearts. Lose the three hearts and only then that unit will be permanently gone. If the battle is ended or the character revived before the counter reaches zero, no hearts will be lost.

Leveling

Unlike the original game, levels are now gained by the class instead of the individual units, which means that all new recruits will have similar levels to your own characters of that class. However, it should be taken into account that each time a class levels up, the people currently in the map will gain stats from the level up, thus giving them an advantage over units who join you later and haven't had opportunities to benefit from leveling up the classes. Therefore, grinding early on is not recommended. Another important tidbit is that the party is given experience only at the end of each battle, which is then given to each class according to how many of its units were used. The more units of x class you use in a battle, the more experience it'll get.

Automatic Skill/Loyalty/Augment Elemental Rank-up Exploit by Shuusui:

Shuusui said:
What you will need:
  1. Your hardest hitting character, but NOT equipped with ANY Field Alchemy skills. I used Ninja Denam, for high evasion and Double Attack.
  2. At least 1 Cleric. Whichever character heals the best.
  3. The Subject that you want to increase the Skill/Loyalty for equipped with the WORST weapon available but the BEST Armour and Evasion skills you have. Parry and Dodge work wonders. Also, absolutely make certain you have Counter Attack on. We'll be using Ravness, Ozma and Hobyrim today.
  4. Rhea Boum Aqueduct unlocked.
  5. 1 unlucky Golem.
  6. Optional - Another character that hits hard but heals. White Knights are perfect, if you've got them.

Weapon Skill & Loyalty Tactics:

1. First things first -- have your Ninja (and possible additional character) kill every enemy on the map, except the Golem. This is actually a lot easier than it sounds. Use high-level AoE arcana if you've got them, as this will weaken multiple enemies at once. Just don't kill the Golem! You're going to need this punching bag later on.
  2. Next, you're going to be exploiting the terrain to your advantage. The Aquaduct is perfect because it has water separating your units from the Golem. One thing worth noting is NOT to use classes or abilities that let you walk on water. This breaks the method (avoid Valkyries/Rune Fencers and
    Lord Commander
    ). Position your units so that The Subject is alone with your Golem. You'll be using your other Cleric as bait, but obviously we're not going to let them get hurt. Instead of trying to explain how, let me just show you a picture to give you an idea:

C0D5l.png

3. Here's where it gets fun. Turn all your characters AI to Melee. But wait, won't they all rush the Golem and destroy him? Not so. They will basically try rushing him, only to be stopped by the Terrain. Your Golem won't move from that spot. Thus, they block him from getting to your Cleric and he blocks your other units from hurting him. This is also why I asked you to turn off Field Alchemy. With the melee AI, your characters WILL try using item to injure the Golem (even things like Shots, which will ultimately damage your units too). What's more, the Melee command will mean that when your parties HP gets low, they will automatically heal that person.
  4. The Subject will now begin whizzing around your Golem, hitting him with all their might... for 1 HP. Because you've got the naffest weapon equipped, they're doing almost no damage to him, BUT, increasing their weapon skill each time they attack and counter attack. Pro-tip: Making The Subject a Ninja will make this go even faster. Two crappy weapons with Double Attack will make them hit the target for 2 HP, doubling the efficiency.

D3xQC.png
  5. Okay, time for some numbers. Each REGISTERED hit, without amplifiers (Sword+1, etc) will increase your Weapon skill by approx. 1.3. I've read that daggers and katana only get 0.6, but upon a single attack with a dagger, I went from 32.8 to 34.1. A difference of 1.3. Where possible, Ninja makes this quicker. You'll be getting roughly 2.6 each time, which is just under 50 attacks per Rank. 2-Handed weapons will obviously take longer. But at least you're doing it without paying attention!
  6. But what about loyalty? Well, each time you increase your rank, your Loyalty increases by 10 points. That means even if The Subject DESPISES you, by the time you're done, you'll be best friends. This is a great way of keeping units who're threatening to leave you!
  7. Oh yeah, and Parry will also level up, helping increase Loyalty and overall evasion. It's much slower to increase though -- I estimate around 0.3 each time. Might be lower than that.... but still, you'll probably get it to rise a rank during the process.

bmspr.png
  8. So, go make a cup of tea, eat a sandwich or just hang around reading NeoGAF while you're little dudes make good. Check back to heal the Golem if his health gets low and then watch as your units become GODLIKE without the tedium of doing it yourself.

The only negative aspect is that even with Melee as your AI, The Subject will not always hit the Golem. Sometimes they will just move around him without taking any kind of action. While this makes the tactic a little slower than it could be, it still beats the snot out of doing it manually. I estimate that you can increase your Skill ranking from Rank 1 to Rank 8 in 70 minutes or so. I've had it happen as quickly as 45 minutes with Ozma and double-daggers. Ravness took the longest as I wanted her to be a spear wielder (cummon, tell me she doesn't look the part in the artwork). This is an even bigger factor if you're trying to increase your Augment Element. See below for more info.

Augment Element Tactics:

1. Okay, this is ONLY for the most hardcore Ogres out there. This method is much slower and becomes increasingly more challenging as the fight goes on. I've found a couple of work-arounds using the same method as increasing weapon skill, but the positions are different.
  2. You will need the same team, only this time The Subject is a magic casting unit. Make sure your unit has NOTHING equipped. That's right. NOTHING. You want to be a prime target, whilst making sure you aren't increasing your magic damage output in any way. You can wear an accessory if you want, but be smart about your choices. Also, having Magic Accuracy and Mediate will help you enormously!
  3. Originally, I made The Subject an Enchantress using the Melee AI (trust me, Caster will not help you) and this worked SO WELL... until I got to about Rank 3. Then the damage output started to climb from 1 HP per hit to 20 HP per hit. If you see this, you're going to have a bad time.

YAsx8.png

This, obviously made it very tedious as I had to keep healing the Golem every ten turns or so. HOWEVER, this was remedied by making her a Witch instead. My Witch was only at Level 5, as opposed to my Level 18 Enchantress. If your units are over-leveled by this point, you might have a difficult time.
  4. By switching to the lower-damage magic user you will start doing 1 HP damage again. However, they will cast magic far less often. In fact, I saw that the only guaranteed time she would cast was if the Golem wasn't Ice Adversed. When he was, she would only cast 1/3 of the time. This made the process much slower, but it definitely made it more Hands-Off then when she was hitting him constantly for 20.
  5. Just to give you an idea of the numbers, I estimate that each successful spell will increase your rank 0.48~0.5. Sadly, there isn't a way to double-cast, so, as I warned you, this is a much slower method and only for those who want to take their magic users or Elemental Weapon users to the next level. I'll report the difference when I am leveled up enough to actually equip 2 Predator Daggers, which give an Ice bonus. That should clarify if it's worth doing. Regardless the length of time this takes, you will undoubtedly be grinning like a madman when you see hear this noise while you're busy doing something else:

8gxzE.png

So, hopefully this will deliver some of the hype I've been generating. I love this method so much. I'm trying to figure out a way to do this with ranged units, but I've encountered more problems than I'd hoped for. It's slow and the AI simple doesn't like the Archer attacking. If I nail it, though, I'll post a similar strategy. I did get the best Archer in the game to Rank 5... and gave up after then.

My plan is to eventually get Lord Denam dual-wielding Rank 8 Dark + 15 swords, with Rank 8 Augment Dark with 100 Base strength. Can't think of anything more badass.... (or game breaking)

What's new?

- The World system.
- The CHARIOT system.
- New crafting system
- A DRASTIC increase in the amount of equippable gear
- New class mechanic
- All classes, including physical classes, have various combat skills or spells
- Even Story characters, demi-humans, and various L monsters have classes. Some are unique to races, some are shared between races.
- Earn Skill Points to buy skills, ala FFT. A set number can be equipped per character.
- EXP and SP are given at the end of battles, rather than on a per-action basis to prevent abusing your own party members to power-level, which was an aspect in all of the post-FFT tactics games.
- Revised turn/weight mechanics, so they aren't as horribly broken (no more super archers, I guess)
- Five equipment slots rather than 4.
- A new bonus dungeon that opens up during the middle of the game
- The sidequest for one of the new characters is akin to the Beowulf quest from FFT
- Various characters that were path-exclusive before can now be recruited on the other paths, with effort.
- Maximum battle size has been increased from 10v10 to 12v20.
- Maps are now 3D, but it is not possible to rotate the battlefield.
- A top down view has been added.

========
~Reviews~
========

- Famitsu: 9/9/9/9 out of 40
- IGN: 8.5 out of 10
It's not perfect, however. There are definitely times when the menus and sheer complexity will get to you. Even so, the numerous improvements and refinements are much appreciated, and for gamers with the patience, few other games come close to the sum-total quality of strategy RPGing that Tactics Ogre provides.
- Gameinformer: 9 out of 10
If every remake were like this, we would hardly need new games. Every element of Tactics Ogre has been pulled apart, examined, and reassembled with an eye toward all the ways game design has changed in the intervening two decades since its original release. It’s not perfect – this is still a complex, hardcore game whose charms require more than a little work to fully enjoy. Though it is less accessible than other games in the genre, Tactics Ogre is a surprisingly adult look at war, rebellion, and loyalty with as much rewarding strategy as any title out there.
- Official Playstation Magazine: 9 out of 10.
- DieHard GameFAN (contains spoilers): ABOVE AVERAGE GAME!
On paper, Tactics Ogre looked wonderful. Quest was reformed to make this game. It was a reintroduction to a franchise that has been dormant for a decade. It was meant to be a love letter to long time Ogre fans while bringing new gamers into the fold. Unfortunately the end result proved to be anything but. It kind of managed to do everything a SRPG shouldn’t while at least keeping the wonderful story intact. The good news is that the changes-slash-mistakes made in the remake aren’t enough to keep the core gameplay from shining through. Nor are they enough to overshadow the cast and characters that make up Ogre Battle Episode VII. Still, Square-Enix is asking use to pay $39.99 for a second rate version of the original game which, had it been released as a PSN classic or on the Virtual Console would have cost between $5.99 and 9.99 and better a better overall experience.
- 1UP: A+ (10 out of 10)
I've played a lot of remakes over the years. I've loved a lot of remakes. But until now, a remake has never loved me back.
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together is, without question, the finest classic remake I've ever played. It helps that the source material is so strong, of course, but what really makes this PSP rendition stand out is the way its creators have addressed every single sticking point that frustrated me all those years ago.
- Gamespot: 9 out of 10

===============
~Downloadable Content~
================

A total of three DLC packs were released for the Japanese version of Tactics Ogre. In order to play them, the game must first be finished in a path other than Neutral (which locks you out of the DLC). You can however finish the game following the Neutral path and then use the new WORLD system to return to an anchor point that allows you to go through a different path. The DLC is already included in both English versions of the game.

- The Search for Warren
Price: Free
Release date: December 1, 2010 (JP)

- The True Knight
Release date: December 15, 2010 (JP)

- The Twelve Heroes
Release date: January 5, 2011 (JP)

====
~Staff~
=====

Character Design
- Akihiko Yoshida, Tsubasa Masao
Programming Director - Takashi Katano
Tool & System Programming - Akiyoshi Masuda
Lead World Designer - Kazuhiro Kataoka
Lead Graphics Design - Kiyofumi Kato
Lead Background Design & Technical Artist - Shinpei Sakata
Lead Visual Effects Design - Jiro Mifune
Visual Effects Programming - Seiki Iwamura
Visual Effects Design - Noriko Nishida
Main System Programmer - Shinichi Fujisawa
Lead Menu UI Design - Hikaru Suzuki
Additional Programming - Masateru Ishiguro
Lead Menu System Designer - Yuichi Murasawa
Battle & System Programmer - Noritsugu Mochizuki
AI Design - Takeshi Tomioka
Lead Event Designer - Motoharu Tanaka
Dialogue - Kyoko Kitahara
Event Design - Taiji Tsuchiya
Event Script Editor - Yuichi Isobe
Music (Basiscape Co Ltd) - Hitoshi Sakimoto, Masaharu Iwata
Sound Effects Designer (Basiscape Co Ltd) - Masaaki Kaneko
Producer - Eisuke Yokoyama
Project Manager - Hiroaki Kato
Game Design & Scenario - Yasumi Matsuno
Director - Hiroshi Minagawa
English Translation - Alexander O. Smith, Joseph Reeder

==========
~Screenshots~
==========

hXIVD.png
pXVLC.png

uDgEp.png
ABcjM.png

ntklg.png
tv2IL.png

UokAZ.png
14dvJ.png

Sk9tx.png
7UmX9.png

=====
~Videos~
======

Prologue narrated by Simon Templeman (Kain from Legacy of Kain)
Class and Narrative Walkthrough
Gameplay (Japanese)
Animated Trailer
OST Playlist

Yaweee

The gameplay has been drastically revised, about as much as one could possibly expect from remakes. Among the changes

- New crafting system
- A DRASTIC increase in the amount of equippable gear
- New class mechanic
- All classes, including physical classes, have various combat skills or spells
- Even Story characters, demi-humans, and various L monsters have classes. Some are unique to races, some are shared between races.
- Earn Skill Points to buy skills, ala FFT. A set number can be equipped per character.
- EXP and SP are given at the end of battles, rather than on a per-action basis to prevent abusing your own party members to power-level, which was an aspect in all of the post-FFT tactics games.
- Revised turn/weight mechanics, so they aren't as horribly broken (no more super archers, I guess)
- Five equipment slots rather than 4.
- A new bonus dungeon that opens up during the middle of the game
- The sidequest for one of the new characters is akin to the Beowulf quest from FFT
- Various characters that were path-exclusive before can now be recruited on the other paths, with effort.
- Maximum battle size has been increased from 10v10 to 12v20.

I'm a bit concerned they may have made the game too easy, but the difficulty of the original is overstated. Difficulty should not be confused with the tedious intersection of perm death, dying in one hit from snipers, and the horrible, horrible, horrible Training mechanics of the original. Yes, it was very difficulty at the beginning, but eventually ranged units, Revivify, and broken weight/turn mechanics made the end-game pretty easy.

I'm assuming that, like FFT, even if the game may be able to made too easy once you know what works, there's so much complication that the game will still be highly re-playable. I know I'm going for a Denam+Monster party on my first time through.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
This and MvC3

Set on games for a long time

Sounds fantastic. I would love to get my hands on the boxed version, but looking ahead to NGP means that I can really only make digital purchases. Hopefully Square will see fit to release this on PSN next Tuesday.

Very nice and simple OT, looks great. I want this game so badly, but I am facing two dilemmas.
1. Dragon Quest VI, which gets priority for me.
2. UMD vs PSN(if released).

I will definitely be getting this game eventually, though.

Dang, wish I had a PSP to get this on. Here's to hoping there will be some way to pick this up on NGP when it releases, as I am looking forward to picking one of those bad boys up.

Great OP. I'm eagerly looking forward to this game. TO and Ys I&II Chronicles will be the last UMDs I buy for my PSP-2000. From there on out it's PSN download or bust.

tiff

Banned
Damn that's some pretty sick boxart.

Don't own a PSP but I'll be sure to pick this up when I get one.

I'm coming in as a Tactics Ogre noobie as well. From the impressions I read I can tell this will be one of my favorite rpgs.

Snaku

Banned
I will NOT buy this until it hits PSN. Same goes for 3rd Birthday, FFIV, Dissidia 012, and Type-0. Do you hear me you Squeenix?

Kalnos

Banned
Isn't this PSN stuff considered 'port-begging'? It's like the 5000th time it has been mentioned. Dealwithit.gif.

Also, day 1. Going to use some PSP component cables and play this thing on my monitor. :>

Are there a lot of unique PCs? Or are you really only using troops?

I'd much rather make a team of Unique PCs that have special classes and stuff, much like Orlandu, Beowulf, etc. in FFT

jjasper

Teo Torriatte! Probably the most hyped I have been for a game in a long time. I am going to listen to that playlist all night while I am studying.

Edit: Didn't it come out in Japan on PSN? SE is just trolling now.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Kalnos said:
Isn't this PSN stuff considered 'port-begging'? It's like the 5000th time it has been mentioned. Dealwithit.gif.

How about no? UMD only release when PSP2 is gonna be BC with PSN releases of PSP1 is fucking stupid of Square. They're cutting themselves off at the knees (or-Shooting themselves in the foot).

And no: I won't dealwithit.gif just because they want to be fucking stupid despite the fact TO/3rd Birthday are on PSN in Japan.

Volcynika

Kalnos said:

Also, day 1. Going to use some PSP component cables and play this thing on my monitor. :>

Most people are asking if it'll be available for their PSP digitally, like a lot of other PSP games. I see no problem with that. And if it's on PSN in JP but not coming out on PSN here, that is kind of a dick move.

Takao

Banned
Kalnos said:

It's not really port begging when people are asking for a game to be released on the same hardware, and the only chance it won't be is simply due to publisher incompetence.

LiK

Takao said:
It's not really port begging when people are asking for a game to be released on the same hardware, and the only chance it won't be is simply due to publisher incompetance.

this.

robotzombie said:
Are there a lot of unique PCs? Or are you really only using troops?

I'd much rather make a team of Unique PCs that have special classes and stuff, much like Orlandu, Beowulf, etc. in FFT

Not only are there more unique characters than FFTactics; they have more impact on the story and they aren't broken.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I hope that those who are experiencing this game for the first time will enjoy it as much as I did all those years ago. I still hold this title upon a pedestal that goes beyond most, if not all, RPGs.

DiscoJer

Takao said:
It's not really port begging when people are asking for a game to be released on the same hardware, and the only chance it won't be is simply due to publisher incompetence.

It still gets old, though.

My best pal pre-ordered it for me off Amazon as a late Christmas gift. Actually going in blind with this game!

Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Fimbulvetr said:
Not only are there more unique characters than FFTactics; they have more impact on the story and they aren't broken.

Awesome to hear. But do any of them have completely unique classes? How about unique sprites? Or do they fall under normal classes?

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
This is really one of those times where I wished ps3 played psp games or NGP was released :D

This looks goooood

branny

I still can't believe this game wasn't just a cruel rumor. Or that it was actually confirmed for a western release...!

It's really a dream come true.

MvC3 on the same day. I can't even comprehend this. And there's still more things getting released in 2011. Holy crap! After this year is completely over, we'll have so many new amazing games.

As for the PSN debacle, I've already triple dipped on FFT, so I really don't care about buying again. But PSN versions of Duodecim, 3rd Bday, and Type-0 (if it's as grindy/endlessly replayable as the other two) are practically required. Having certain things like puzzle games, racing games, fighting games, and Monster Hunter always in my portable is the only way to play them as far as I'm concerned.

Top Bottom