• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together |OT|: Fat Bottomed Girls

Mephala

Electivirus said:
Right at the beginning of Chapter 3 of the Law Route.
Who didn't see Leonar's betrayal coming?

I saw it, what I didn't see was his
double back stab, that is he went after Denam directly after the Duke. I was almost hoping he would join the resistance.

On an unrelated note. Any Soul Calibur 4 fans here? Playing that along with Tactics Ogre has led to me spending over an hour in its character creator.

Tease:
HDrWI.jpg
T5bPK.jpg

Will post more if interested.

Tomodachi

I've got a quick question: I just "received" two characters (two
white knights
, so you know who i'm talking about) and they both start at level 4 (it would be nice if new classes were given with the current hero level, but anyway).
What's the fastest way to level them up? Random battles only have 6 slots and if I bring them along I'm not sure I can win since they're so weak.

Soulhouf

Tomodachi said:
white knights
, so you know who i'm talking about) and they both start at level 4 (it would be nice if new classes were given with the current hero level, but anyway).
What's the fastest way to level them up? Random battles only have 6 slots and if I bring them along I'm not sure I can win since they're so weak.
The best place is Phorampa Wildwood where you can go only with those two and they will level up very quickly (enemy level will be the same as your characters).

Tomodachi

Soulhouf said:
The best place is Phorampa Wildwood where you can go only with those two and they will level up very quickly (enemy level will be the same as your characters).
Didn't know that, will try asap! Thanks!

Wedge7

Just picked this up lil while ago. Just played for a few hours, but loving it so far. Only thing holding me back is that its the first portable game I've played in ages, and as always, getting used to craning my neck down and gaming on a smaller viewing area is a tough adjustment. Besides that, awesome game.

Mephala

Tomodachi said:
white knights

If you have
Ravness
, you can have 3 units leveling the class, which will also give them additional stats as they level up.

Murkas said:
I like how I keep my Dragoon in my team despite me nearly always killing the target before he gets his turn.

Dragoons has fairly high RT as a class so they are naturally pretty slow. If you're using
Jeunun
, he is one of the faster unique units. Otherwise you might consider giving them lighter equipment.

When I used the Dragoon I gave him a crossbow. Awesome finishers and allows them to attack and generate enough TP to use its slayer skills.

Hang on (end of chapter 1 spoiler)

The chaos route is the good guys route? I mean, FAQs tend to indicate that refusing to murder innocents is the chaotic thing to do? I vaguely see how that makes sense, since murdering the wallister is obeying the law of duke runwey, but still, this is fairly unusual

Tomodachi

harriet the spy said:
Hang on (end of chapter 1 spoiler)

The chaos route is the good guys route? I mean, FAQs tend to indicate that refusing to murder innocents is the chaotic thing to do? I vaguely see how that makes sense, since murdering the wallister is obeying the law of duke runwey, but still, this is fairly unusual
Well not many games give you this kind of story-wise freedom, nor the chance to
kill an entire population of old people, children and women just to follow orders
, especially japanese fantasy games that are always so politically correct (and we're talking about a snes game here). Even among the other Matsuno games, I feel this is by far the one he had more freedom about the story.

Anyway, in role playing chaotic is by no means a synonym of bad guys, just like lawful is not the same thing as good guy. It's more about lifestyle and philosophy: as a matter of fact the worst and most beloved (by fans) main villains are usually lawful bad guys.

Curufinwe

I've been making steady progress since getting over the hump in chapter 1, but now fairly late in chapter 4 I'm fighting a battle where I need to kill everyone, not just the leader, and there are two Iron Golems who I only hit for 1 or 2 points of damage.

What am I supposed to do with them?

Curufinwe said:
I've been making steady progress since getting over the hump in chapter 1, but now fairly late in chapter 4 I'm fighting a battle where I need to kill everyone, not just the leader, and there are two Iron Golems who I only hit for 1 or 2 points of damage.

What am I supposed to do with them?

Use hammers or magic against them.

Tomodachi said:
Well not many games give you this kind of story-wise freedom, nor the chance to
kill an entire population of old people, children and women just to follow orders
, especially japanese fantasy games that are always so politically correct (and we're talking about a snes game here). Even among the other Matsuno games, I feel this is by far the one he had more freedom about the story.

Anyway, in role playing chaotic is by no means a synonym of bad guys, just like lawful is not the same thing as good guy. It's more about lifestyle and philosophy: as a matter of fact the worst and most beloved (by fans) main villains are usually lawful bad guys.

I see. I definitely enjoy the freedom, and i agree with your lawful/chaos interpretation, but it's not something i expected from a video game. I went chaos, then.
i hope this won't turn me into a blood thirsty anarchist later in the game

I am enjoying the game very much. I still prefer FFT to it, but I am pretty sure it's because i played it first. Also because I got a better sense of the class system. here some of my characters feel useless (denam in particular :), and my beast tamer is shit too), and some are murderers (archers, and my mages are pretty good as well right now).

I really want my valkyrie to be good because i love the sprite work / portrait and the name, but right now she is a master of all trades, and mostly a master of none.

Also sad that ravness dies in the chaos route.

sazabirules said:
How do you check your weapon skill ranks? I was wondering when I get my first finishing moves.

All you gotta do is go to the skill menu, an highlight whatever weapon skill you want to see. It should display something on the right that shows what rank that skill is and a meter showing how much until it levels again.

If you can't see it from there, hold square and then press left or right until it you see it.

Also, Diego's character design may be based off Ramirez from Highlander.

The inappropriate Spanish name suddenly makes sense.

Dunan

Having finished FF Type-0, I decided the next game to occupy my PSP would be this late-to-the-party gem that's been sitting on my shelf since last autumn (when it was $29.99) -- finally getting into it!

Like other FFT veterans, I'm finding some of the mechanics cumbersome, but like WotL and FFXII veterans, finding the translation truly awesome (and far better than even the Japanese original, which is in modern language and just doesn't... glow... like Alexander O. Smith and Joseph Reeder's English does.)

Now this afternoon I popped into the bookstore (to pick up the FF0 Ultimania; what a monster), and saw the Tactics Ogre: Lover's Voice art/fan-book, published by Dengeki Playstation. There's also a nice coffee-table-style artbook for this game, but this book is more text-heavy and has interviews with the creators, answers from the creators to fans, demographic info about buyers, that kind of thing. There are even translations of foreign media reviews from places like IGN and
the late, lamented
GamePro.

A fun read is the multi-part interview featuring Yasumi Matsuno, two other creators, and Ico novelist Miyuki Miyabe (who absolutely loves TO).

Trivia so far:

* The staff answering fans' questions includes translators "Alex & Joe"; they only get to field one question, from a girl calling herself "Cold Tea". She asks about the unusual spellings in the English version, and Alex and Joe say that they come from Byzantine culture. The game should more properly be set in Hittite times, they add, but since they don't speak Hittite...

* Why the PSP? Minagawa opines that he doesn't like sitting in front of a television and prefers to play games when he's got sudden spots of free time, on the go. He adds that the miniature art style for the character sprites lends itself to a portable game, and that the PSP was easy to implement the C.H.A.R.I.O.T. system on.

* Matsuno is asked what game he most enjoyed this past year. "Red Dead Redemption, by far."

* A fan asks about the "three sizes" for various female characters. Each time Matsuno says "I'll leave it to your imagination" and Masao follows up with hard numbers. Until they get to Deneb, form whom they both offer numbers.

Gender breakdown for fans: 55% male, 45% female.

Average age: just about exactly 30, with slightly more 20s than 30s and then tiny contingents of under 20 and over 40.

Hours spent playing the game: median is between 200 and 300 hours. Just 4% spent less than 50 hours on this game!

I hesitate to read too much for fear of being spoiled, but I'm loving this book... and this game!

Are the bonus tarot cards worth anything? I know eBay isn't a good place to get an accurate assessment of something's value, but they're selling for absurdly high prices. I have them if anyone's interested...

They've always done shit damage for me too-they seem disappointingly underpowered.

Can someone prove me wrong? I really want my spells to do more damage, but my Wizard (with Dark Magic) hardly does any damage to make him worthwhile. Also, Ravness' Spiritsurge rarely will deal more than 1 damage. Why is this?

epmode

I want to like this game so much. I love how it looks, how it sounds, the look and feel of the UI... But I think I officially hate the game itself. The eternally-miserable AI-controlled allies are to blame. Oh god they're terrible. Breaking crowd control, running right at the enemy while my entire team is going in the other direction, ruining the game one battle at a time.

Then there's the way so many battles revolve around saving up for those one-shot skills and techniques before the CPU can use them on you. And the lousy crafting system. And and and.

I wish we could somehow mod the game since it's SO CLOSE to being brilliant. Very few devs are even bothering with SRPGs like this so it's especially painful to see wasted potential.

Seda

Can someone prove me wrong? I really want my spells to do more damage, but my Wizard (with Dark Magic) hardly does any damage to make him worthwhile. Also, Ravness' Spiritsurge rarely will deal more than 1 damage. Why is this?

The only offensive magic classes worthwhile are the 4 Oracles and 1 Wicce, imo. Wizards damage output never really gets better.

Osietra

Banned
I want to like this game so much. I love how it looks, how it sounds, the look and feel of the UI... But I think I officially hate the game itself. The eternally-miserable AI-controlled allies are to blame. Oh god they're terrible. Breaking crowd control, running right at the enemy while my entire team is going in the other direction, ruining the game one battle at a time.

Then there's the way so many battles revolve around saving up for those one-shot skills and techniques before the CPU can use them on you. And the lousy crafting system. And and and.

I wish we could somehow mod the game since it's SO CLOSE to being brilliant. Very few devs are even bothering with SRPGs like this so it's especially painful to see wasted potential.

The AIllies appearances lessen the further in you get, I can't remember your other criticisms as I can't see your entire quote. But it's a seriously amazing game, I've plumbed 200 hrs or so out of it, and my gaming time is seriously limited with a job, small child blah blah. As a game you can play on an ageing piece of tech, its yet to be made a bitch by any other SRPG on a handheld.

tokkun

They've always done shit damage for me too-they seem disappointingly underpowered.

The damage is not that great, but I would not say the class is underpowered. A lot of the debuff spells are very powerful.

Valkyries are useless for attack magic. Give them heal/buff spells instead.

Give your Wizard Charm & Petrify.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
45% of the audience is female? Woah. I'd believe it for, say, Fire Emblem, but Tactics Ogre? The more you know...

Sallokin

Picked this up from amazon day one and I've finally had some time to jump into it. Just hit the end of Chapter 2 and I couldn't be any more pleased with how this game turned out. Just balls out fun and I love going back and seeing how the game plays out when you make the alternate choices.

Try playing the original. I hope you can read japanese though: PS1 version has too much loading for nowadays standard

dantehemi

Just started playing this game, I'm about 1 hour and change in. I'm feeling overwhelmed, I have no clue as to what's going on? It's botheri me a lot cause I can see I will enjoy this game, cause of the battles I have had already. Is there a beginners guide to this game any where online? What type of tips and info can you guys offer me to get more involved in this game.

I want to put some time Into this game, but I also want to enjoy it.

Thanks gaf

johnsmith

remember me
Just started playing this game, I'm about 1 hour and change in. I'm feeling overwhelmed, I have no clue as to what's going on? It's botheri me a lot cause I can see I will enjoy this game, cause of the battles I have had already. Is there a beginners guide to this game any where online? What type of tips and info can you guys offer me to get more involved in this game.

I want to put some time Into this game, but I also want to enjoy it.

Thanks gaf

Honestly, just keep playing. You'll start understanding as you play more. I played the original and I was still overwhelmed at first, since it is practically a brand new game. The game includes a guide to teach you how to play in the Warren report. You shouldn't need more of a guide than that.

McSlides

Neo Member
Here is an interesting glitch I experienced. I was using cwcheat to boost exp gains because I was too lazy to grind it out. Enabling cheats caused a bug that made healing spells also damage the person they heal for almost the same amount of health that was restored. The AI started using this against me by healing my units that had full health.

What sort of preparations are required for the Hanging Gardens? Everyone is at least level 20. I'd rather not do anything if I don't have to.

cj_iwakura

Late to the party, but $11 on Amazon, couldn't say no.

I love it so far. At first I was overwhelmed, but I'm hooked already.

(And I have the PS1 version, never finished it.)

This feels infinitely more playable.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
GameStop is selling this new for $9. I think I'm going to go pick this up tomorrow!

This game seems overwhelming. I thought I was done with my PSP when I finished Trails in the Sky, but the PSP continues to be the ultimate RPG system, and I can't pass up trying out this game at that price.

I'm happy the Vita is being released soon, it's going to discount all the awesome PSP games that I never got a chance to play, starting with this game!

Curufinwe

I think I'm up to the final battles, but my characters are only level 17 or 18. Is that high enough to be attempting the final battles with?

GameStop is selling this new for $9. I think I'm going to go pick this up tomorrow!

This game seems overwhelming. I thought I was done with my PSP when I finished Trails in the Sky, but the PSP continues to be the ultimate RPG system, and I can't pass up trying out this game at that price.

I'm happy the Vita is being released soon, it's going to discount all the awesome PSP games that I never got a chance to play, starting with this game!

It can be but remember The Matsuno Game Mantra: "Pay attention, experiment, overcome, succeed". The Warren Report, the attract mode movies, and us here can help if you're stuck.

I think I'm up to the final battles, but my characters are only level 17 or 18. Is that high enough to be attempting the final battles with?

21+ is a good number unless you've delved into some of the late game side quests (which would probably put the player at 21+ anyways).

Curufinwe

I managed to find a good hint on Gamefaqs about grinding Tynemouth Hill with Denam and a couple of other characters, and so now I have my guys at level 23 or 24 and it's finally time to start the final battles.

I saw it, what I didn't see was his
double back stab, that is he went after Denam directly after the Duke. I was almost hoping he would join the resistance.

On an unrelated note. Any Soul Calibur 4 fans here? Playing that along with Tactics Ogre has led to me spending over an hour in its character creator.

Tease:
HDrWI.jpg
T5bPK.jpg

Will post more if interested.

I'm quite late but well done. Do not hesitate to post more..

Top Bottom