• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TAG: Apple delays one nerdy headset [Glasses] to focus on another [VR Headset]

https://theamericangenius.com/tech-news/apple-delays-one-nerdy-headset-to-focus-on-another/
Unfortunately, the company has met a crossroad as far as which product it will focus its energy on first. The original plan was for Apple to introduce the headset and follow with the release of the glasses but the company has decided to solely focus on the headset, citing technical issues with the glasses.

Apple plans to release the mixed-reality headset as planned and follow up with a lower cost version in 2024 or 2025. The cheaper version will still carry a price tag that rivals some new laptops, coming in around $1,500.

Apple wasn’t the first company to set its sights on virtual reality glasses. Google launched its solution, named Google Glass. Just 2 years after launch, Google announced that they’d no longer produce a consumer model of the mixed reality smart glasses, with even the nerdiest of nerds scoffing their final product.

Perhaps the tech was too far before its time, launching in 2013 with a $1,500 price tag. While mixed reality glasses have never really caught on, Apple is leaning into the increased interest in headsets as other manufacturers perfect the craft and increase adoption rates.

As we’ve seen with smartphones and wearable tech, Apple may not be the first on the scene, but they are experts at getting people to adapt to new tech and presenting a user-friendly user interface. We know that the new headset will feature incredible technology where virtual reality can mesh with your real-life view of the world.

It’s been reported that there will be a dial mechanism, similar to what’s seen on the Apple Watch. Apple’s tying in existing mechanics that users are sure to find familiar.

The headset is said to have 2 high resolution screens that automatically adjust to the user’s pupillary distance as well as 10 cameras and sensors to provide flawless tracking and processing.

While we don’t yet know the official name of Apple’s latest project, documents have use monikers such as “Reality Pro” and “Reality One.” Whatever it’s called, we’re eager to pop into an Apple Store to test drive the new device in the near future.

So Apple has put all focus on their VR headset over the other project they made in parallel, which means Apple will be going more all in on the headset than what it already seemed like.

Another interesting piece of this article though, is how Apple plans for a follow-up cheaper version of their upcoming headset by next year at $1500.

It looks like Apple is really planning this out which makes me wonder if all these people saying they can make VR mainstream may have a point. If they are way ahead of the competition where you'll be set for a few years with their product, and the execute perfectly this could be a big threat.

midnightAI

apple GIF

LRKD

Honestly, I'd rather have really good AR glasses over VR goggles. I think AR glasses could have cool game implements as well, having the hud on the glasses, and the gameplay on screen or something. Or Something like the DS, having a physical screen, and a dual second virtual screen from the glasses. Idk VR goggles just don't seem that great, whereas AR would have a lot more uses in or out of gaming. Seeing texts and notifications on your glasses without looking at your phone, and what not. Probably a pretty unpopular opinion, but I got a psvr, and that convinced me that vr as it is right now, just ain't it.

whyman

https://theamericangenius.com/tech-news/apple-delays-one-nerdy-headset-to-focus-on-another/

So Apple has put all focus on their VR headset over the other project they made in parallel, which means Apple will be going more all in on the headset than what it already seemed like.

Another interesting piece of this article though, is how Apple plans for a follow-up cheaper version of their upcoming headset by next year at $1500.

It looks like Apple is really planning this out which makes me wonder if all these people saying they can make VR mainstream may have a point. If they are way ahead of the competition where you'll be set for a few years with their product, and the execute perfectly this could be a big threat.
Who in the mainstream is buying this? I see no market for it other than enthusiasts. AR glasses will be huge if anyone can get them down to $300 ($400 with custom lenses) and still be high quality. I guess the tech is still too expensive.

Who in the mainstream is buying this?

Apple fans
VR fans
especially if Apple subsidizes through retailers and carriers.

Despite not showing the headset yet, Apple is in the top according to another thread, of mainstream VR interest. It also revealed many consumers don't want to use controllers to control their games and headsets.

In most cases I would agree with your question, but I think we are disconnected from the market.

UnNamed

Banned
Apple really struggle in the last 10years with new products.

First the Apple TV, not the box but an actual TV with proprietary contents they plan to release during 2010 and ended with no TV but just the services (Apple+);

Then the Apple Car, the car that became just an OS and then again their own car and again a car made with others;

Finally, the AR glasses.

In between, their failed social network, mobileMe and still no foldable devices.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Apple really struggle in the last 10years with new products.

First the Apple TV, not the box but an actual TV with proprietary contents they plan to release during 2010 and ended with no TV but just the services (Apple+);

Then the Apple Car, the car that became just an OS and then again their own car and again a car made with others;

Finally, the AR glasses.

In between, their failed social network, mobileMe and still no foldable devices.

No Steve Jobs. He was the soul of Apple.

whyman

Apple fans
VR fans
especially if Apple subsidizes through retailers and carriers.

Despite not showing the headset yet, Apple is in the top according to another thread, of mainstream VR interest. It also revealed many consumers don't want to use controllers to control their games and headsets.

In most cases I would agree with your question, but I think we are disconnected from the market.

Ok, well maybe. But seeing the economy in Europe (prices are getting insane), the war, the drama between US and China. I kind of doubt there is a demand for this product right now. Like, do I eat for 2 months or get an Ivr?

But sure, Apple has surprised in the past. I’m just not a believer in current VR at all, it’s not a way I want to game, hang out or watch movies in. I’m usually pretty excited for tech but VR has been and continues to be a huge waste of money imo.

Apple wants to make VR mainstream, but what the hell are you gonna play on it!? apple arcade?

Software is being worked on for it but we won't know if that software will be high-quality or not until they reveal it.

Unlike Facebook, Apple has kept more direct leaks under control about the headset, not even a low-quality blurry photo of the back of the headset has come out. While some Quest 3 specs and blueprints have leaked.

Ok, well maybe. But seeing the economy in Europe (prices are getting insane), the war, the drama between US and China. I kind of doubt there is a demand for this product right now. Like, do I eat for 2 months or get an Ivr?

But sure, Apple has surprised in the past. I’m just not a believer in current VR at all, it’s not a way I want to game, hang out or watch movies in. I’m usually pretty excited for tech but VR has been and continues to be a huge waste of money imo.

I mean, I agree that compared to the 90s-early 2000s gen of VR we haven't really ended up as far as people hoped we would since 2015 until now, and it does bring to question if any headset can keep attention for longer than 2-3 years and get a lot of people on board. Economy is definitely a factor.

I think many of these experts believe that Apple's pedigree alone will drive huge sales to VR, especially if they subsidize because then it will be seen as a status product.

I can't say whether or not I agree, Samsung has their fans too and they are making something, it could be both are able to leverage their bases, and there's a chance both won't and will not move many units. But both seem to be investing among the highest in the space.

Crayon

Mainstream in sales, maybe not. Mainstream in mindshare is what I'm hoping for. If they can show an app equivelant to the iphone's camera then we are in business. Something to make everyone want it.

Top Bottom