• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taiko no Tatsujin |Series Discussion Thread| A Donderful World

Genki

In Japan right now and recently started playing the series. Got a New 3DS, and have been going to game centers occasionally. It's pretty fun, so I'm interested in buying a controller for PC use before I leave. What would be the best\cheapest option?

Impotaku

There's a bluetooth version of the controller that's for use with the ios version of the game, i'm assuming it would work on PC seeing as it's bluetooth. I have no knowledge of the PC taiko stuff though.

91qj5PRG2jL._SL1500_.jpg

As far as Taiko controllers on PC go, there's ups and downs to pretty much all options.

In my (limited) experience with browsing used game stores in Japan, PS2 Tatacons seem to be a bit more plentiful. Plus, from what I can tell, they're simpler to get working on PC. I have no PS2 to PC adapter to try this out myself, but my understanding is that the PS2 Tatacon is treated nearly identically to a Dualshock 2, and it's basically a set of giant buttons you can bind to keys pretty easily. Haven't tried myself, though. May very well end up being more complicated than I make it out to be here, lol. Maybe if anyone else has tried, they can speak on that option.

Wii/Wii U Tatacons shouldn't really cost a whole lot more than PS2 ones, and they're simpler in respect to the fact that you don't need any additional accessories to connect them to PC (if your computer has a Bluetooth adapter built in, if not you'll need an external Bluetooth adapter, which is much easier to come by than a PS2 to PC adapter). If you just hook it up to a Wiimote, and hook the Wiimote to your PC via Bluetooth, then you've got it connected. It'll work with osu! right out of the box, without needing to do anything else on your part. If you want to use it with anything else, though, things get a bit trickier. The Tatacon isn't treated like a Nunchuk or Classic Controller or anything else like that; it's a totally individual type of attachment that has its own unique way of reading input. So, if you want to bind the Tatacon to keyboard keys, it'll involve some messing around with GlovePIE, and reading input from the Wii Tatacon isn't an area that's very well documented. I think I have a decent grasp on getting it to work, though, so if you decide to go that route I can provide you with some code. All in all, it's kinda messy and a bit of a hassle, but it's nice that it doesn't require any extra unconventional adapters. And it works great with osu! with no problems at all!

I can't even begin to speak for the Bluetooth Tatacon, though, lol. No idea how it works, though based on design, I have a feeling it's closer to the Wii Tatacon. Plus, it's kinda pricey. Just know that if you decide to go with that, you're pretty much going into uncharted territory.

edit: Oh, one more thing I didn't know until just now: the Wii Tatacon works perfectly with Dolphin. No fussing with configuring inputs or anything like that. Just hook up a Wiimote via Dolphin, plug in your Tatacon, and you're good to go.

Alpha_eX

Finally got my Pro Controller, it's perfect!

atO5g17l.jpg

I'm now considering getting an import Wii U so I can play the latest games, is there much point or are there not many differences between the ones on the Wii?

The regular controllers feel like toys in comparison.

Impotaku

It's the song listings that make the new games worth getting or not, i'm in the same boat i have yet to get a WiiU but i want one for those new taiko games as i love the track list of the newest version.

Alpha_eX

I've tried playing with it on a table and chair but it feels a little bit weird, my legs are fine for an hour or so..

My drum head is setting a few marks on it, I don't think it's anything more than cosmetic damage but I'm considering getting a second one as a spare. Are these still in production or was it a limited run?

Very much doubt they sell spare skins, I can't even see a way to remove it.

On the subject of the newest game, I've ordered the last one on Wii but will pick up a really cheap second hand Wii U when I'm in Japan. Would love to hear from anyone who actually has a Japanese Wii U!

Kid Ying

The wiiu ones are not much different than the Wii ones.

Don and Katsu are now tridimensional, so the other clothes reflect that and changes according to their position.

Theres new modes like baton pass, introdon and stuff but the core mode is unchanged.

Both of them are 720p. Wiiu version got some framerate problem, where tokumori fix it all.

Wiiu version got a real bad unlocking system, where it depends on trophies after you get stuff. The problem is that some of them takes a lot of time. Tokumori got the same system, but with much more reasonable stuff.

For me, wiiu version got the best tracklist. Tokumori is the better game. Thats it.

J-Fr

My drum head is setting a few marks on it, I don't think it's anything more than cosmetic damage but I'm considering getting a second one as a spare. Are these still in production or was it a limited run?

You can put a piece of clothing on top of it to avoid marks.
I received my tatacon last week, it works surprisingly well! After an hour or two of use the plastic skin already had a few bruises, I put a shirt on it (not something too rigid or else it might become harder to hit the rim) since then it stayed mostly intact.

On a completely different subject, every time I play the game seriously it gets on my nerves but on the contrary every time I'm on my nerves the game helps me release the tension.
I find it funny that a game can change your mood pretty heavily!

Tatacons definitely start showing marks real quickly (Wii ones faster than PS2 ones in my experience due to the material). It bugged me a lot when I first got mine, but I've sorta gotten over it since, lol. I use the packaged ones, though, so it's not nearly as much of a big deal when I can replace them for under $50 (not that smudging should make them any less usable... hopefully). If I ever get the Hori drum then I'd definitely need to start thinking about taking better care, though.

... but I need to not think about ever owning the Hori drum, lol. The "importing a Wii U" seed has already been planted in my brain, and that's more than dangerous enough. It's hard keeping up with official releases D:

openrob

This was one of the few games me and my wife kept coming back to when in arcades our time in Japan.

How can i play this on a PAL console. Wii U/Wii. OP says that playing import games is simple but I have never done so.

This was one of the few games me and my wife kept coming back to when in arcades our time in Japan.

How can i play this on a PAL console. Wii U/Wii. OP says that playing import games is simple but I have never done so.

GAF's Wii Homebrew Thread and Wiki is a pretty good resource for getting a boot program installed on your Wii, but it's kinda outdated, I think. There are probably more recently updated guides out there. The process really is super quick and easy, though. On my most recent installation (a year or two ago), I used Letterbomb to install Homebrew Channel, and I generally use GeckoOS to boot import games. This is on a US NTSC system, but the process should be the same for PAL.

The whole process is very well documented, though. I was definitely worried about messing up my system the first time I attempted it, but it went very smoothly, and I had no problems.

Impotaku

Tatacons definitely start showing marks real quickly (Wii ones faster than PS2 ones in my experience due to the material). It bugged me a lot when I first got mine, but I've sorta gotten over it since, lol. I use the packaged ones, though, so it's not nearly as much of a big deal when I can replace them for under $50 (not that smudging should make them any less usable... hopefully). If I ever get the Hori drum then I'd definitely need to start thinking about taking better care, though.

... but I need to not think about ever owning the Hori drum, lol. The "importing a Wii U" seed has already been planted in my brain, and that's more than dangerous enough. It's hard keeping up with official releases D:

The hori one has a lot higher quality rubber compared to the regular wii tattacon, on my wii tattacon the rubber feels more like rubberised plastic but the hori one feels more like tough rubber. My tattacon is marked to hell from repeated playing but because of the cost of my hori one i want to protect it more so i put a plain cotton tablecloth over it to protect the surface and it seems to do the job without affecting play.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I played one version for PS2, and I loved it. the controller makes a lot for the experience, but I'd be keen to accept even an eshop release for the Wii U version playing on the touch, to at least being allowed to play it!

I'm thinking about picking up one of these Wii TaTaCon's on ebay. Obviously these aren't gonna be official but it's the cheapest option I can find for just the controller. Anyone have any experience with these generic ones, are they at least passable?

Edit:Honestly I would rather get an official one but all the standalone ones I'm finding are pretty pricey so if anyone has any good deals on an official one I wouldn't mind a link to one.

amiami has some decent prices for Tatacon bundles for the earlier Wii games, but I dunno if you already have those. If you don't, it's a pretty good deal.

Right now, the bundles for the Wii U games are going down in price, so I guess you could get one of those and hope that someday a region free exploit is found so you can play them, lol. Or you could resell the game and keep the drum. I can't really find any official standalone drums for cheaper than the bundles, unfortunately. Checking out whatever reviews I can find for unofficial ones, it seems like you're better off paying a bit more for one that will last longer and work better.

Oh, one more option: if you have experience with package forwarding services, you could purchase one from a Japanese online retailer. I don't really know much about that myself, or how much that will add to the price, but Japanese stores are selling standalone official controllers for a bit over half the price you'd pay for bundles. Amazon Japan has it for 3300 yen, for instance.

amiami has some decent prices for Tatacon bundles for the earlier Wii games, but I dunno if you already have those. If you don't, it's a pretty good deal.

Right now, the bundles for the Wii U games are going down in price, so I guess you could get one of those and hope that someday a region free exploit is found so you can play them, lol. Or you could resell the game and keep the drum. I can't really find any official standalone drums for cheaper than the bundles, unfortunately. Checking out whatever reviews I can find for unofficial ones, it seems like you're better off paying a bit more for one that will last longer and work better.

Oh, one more option: if you have experience with package forwarding services, you could purchase one from a Japanese online retailer. I don't really know much about that myself, or how much that will add to the price, but Japanese stores are selling standalone official controllers for a bit over half the price you'd pay for bundles. Amazon Japan has it for 3300 yen, for instance.

Yeah I'm getting to the point where I'm thinking I might just get a bundle. Unfortunately it's the shipping that is killing the prices on most of this stuff, it's looking like regardless of how I buy a Tatacon that I will probably be paying about $30 for shipping.

CANLI

Guys, I own the wii u , the taiko and the last 2 games.
After playing Taiko in 1080p, i just can't return to the blurred wii versions. There's a ton of difference of visuals. Don't fear to buy the wii u

Yeah I'm getting to the point where I'm thinking I might just get a bundle. Unfortunately it's the shipping that is killing the prices on most of this stuff, it's looking like regardless of how I buy a Tatacon that I will probably be paying about $30 for shipping.

Yeah, doing some more thorough investigation, even package forwarding for something that size will run you about $30. And some of the older bundles actually aren't in stock, though they weren't labelled as such on list view :/

Seems like the main options at this point are to eat the extra $30 shipping/forwarding (or pay the whole $60 at once either on eBay or Amazon), or lurk eBay for a good bundle listing. I guess it's a bit of a tricky time to get into the Wii games, unfortunately.

Yeah, doing some more thorough investigation, even package forwarding for something that size will run you about $30. And some of the older bundles actually aren't in stock, though they weren't labelled as such on list view :/

Seems like the main options at this point are to eat the extra $30 shipping/forwarding (or pay the whole $60 at once either on eBay or Amazon), or lurk eBay for a good bundle listing. I guess it's a bit of a tricky time to get into the Wii games, unfortunately.

I'll probably bite the bullet when I have the money for it again. I'm no stranger to importing so I can't say I'm too surprised by the shipping costs. I appreciate the help though!

After about 4 years out of the loop, I've just entered back into the dangerous realm of Taiko Plus. With some region switching shenanigans, I even figured out how to redownload the songs I bought back then! Crazy! After all the account switching I've done, I figured those might've just been lost to time, lol.

I definitely have to get used to the controls, first of all. Drumming with my index fingers didn't really go so well, and I'm playing on an iPad, so trying to play with my thumbs while holding the device got pretty uncomfortable fast. But then I realized they added a neat setting that puts two drums on the screen, one for each thumb, which looks kinda goofy, but feels a hell of a lot better. Still can't quite clear Saitama2000 on it, but it's a lot closer.

I'm really impressed at how much better the app is now. All the extra customization and the shinier new UI and the Don Points, and I think there's, like, double the number of free songs than I had back in the day. On the other hand, it does have a lot more ads and popups and other F2P junk, but it really doesn't hinder play at all.

I dunno how much I plan on buying songs, as I already have lots of them on other platforms that I play better on, but I already have a decent library built up from playing 4 years ago (I don't even remember buying this much, lol), so I'm looking forward to getting back into it. I really don't know much about the iOS version, so if anyone has any tips or advice, lemme know! It seems really solid, and I recommend anyone with an iOS device check it out.

GWX

Got excited when I read the OP and saw that I could buy Taiko no Tatsujin+ song packs without a japanese credit card on my non-japanese iTunes account. Turns out it isn't the case, I got an error when trying to purchase a song pack with my main iTunes account (brazilian), alleging that I needed to first own the app with such account :(

BioBooster

Neo Member
It's still popular in the arcades here in Japan.

I see peeps show up with their own sticks, it is scary how good people are.

Got excited when I read the OP and saw that I could buy Taiko no Tatsujin+ song packs without a japanese credit card on my non-japanese iTunes account. Turns out it isn't the case, I got an error when trying to purchase a song pack with my main iTunes account (brazilian), alleging that I needed to first own the app with such account :(

That information is outdated, but it's still possible. Delete the version of Taiko Plus you have, switch your main iTunes account's region (the one you'll be making purchases with) to Japan (you don't need to enter any credit card, but you'll need to enter a real postal code for the prefecture you choose for your Japanese address). Redownload Taiko Plus with that account, switch back to your original region, then you're good to go to buy song packs (though I think you need to give it about half an hour before making any purchases or it'll lock you out of IAPs until you contact support). iOS didn't restrict you to the account you downloaded the app with when I first played, so I got confused.

That information is outdated, but it's still possible. Delete the version of Taiko Plus you have, switch your main iTunes account's region (the one you'll be making purchases with) to Japan (you don't need to enter any credit card, but you'll need to enter a real postal code for the prefecture you choose for your Japanese address). Redownload Taiko Plus with that account, switch back to your original region, then you're good to go to buy song packs (though I think you need to give it about half an hour before making any purchases or it'll lock you out of IAPs until you contact support). iOS didn't restrict you to the account you downloaded the app with when I first played, so I got confused.

A word of warning: if you are using Family Sharing you will not be able to do this without dissolving the family first.

Oh, yeah, in addition to removing any funds you might still have remaining in your account.

If you don't wan to bother with all that, you could stick to using your Japanese account for purchases, and buy JP iTunes codes online. Granted, this ends up being a bit more pricey, but the currency conversion iTunes uses is already kinda fucked so it's not quite as much of a loss as it appears (600 yen converts to $5.99 USD, for instance).

GWX

A word of warning: if you are using Family Sharing you will not be able to do this without dissolving the family first.

Thanks for the explanation. Seems quite troublesome, specially since I use family sharing. Buying JP iTunes cards is probably less of a hassle.

If you don't wan to bother with all that, you could stick to using your Japanese account for purchases, and buy JP iTunes codes online. Granted, this ends up being a bit more pricey, but the currency conversion iTunes uses is already kinda fucked so it's not quite as much of a loss as it appears (600 yen converts to $5.99 USD, for instance).

You'd think with the Yen where it is now prices of those cards would come down >.<

I have another problem: created my JP iTunes account so long ago I don't remember the answers to the security questions :(

Also: is the online store searchable at all, or do I have to pick through every pack to find the tracks I want?

Also: is the online store searchable at all, or do I have to pick through every pack to find the tracks I want?

Nah, the store UI is really bad, even by iOS rhythm game standards. No search, no sort, slow scrolling with one song pack per line, ordered by release. Use a pack list to figure out what you want before going into the store, and you'll have a much better time.

Oh, also, another idea that might work (haven't tried it myself): switch your Japanese account that you downloaded the app with to your local region (I'm assuming this isn't connected to family sharing), and add your credit card to it. That should be able to make purchases, right?

Nah, the store UI is really bad, even by iOS rhythm game standards. No search, no sort, slow scrolling with one song pack per line, ordered by release. Use a pack list to figure out what you want before going into the store, and you'll have a much better time.

Huge help, thanks. Not sure why I didn't think to look on Taiko Time!

Genki

Thanks for that great post. Saw a decent looking PS2 one in a dingy Akihabara shop that was only like 600yen, but it's a bit large compared to the Wii ones and thus more of a hassle to bring home.

I'm guessing bluetooth would involve some kind off added latency? But if it's constant that's not much of an issue I guess.

I'm guessing bluetooth would involve some kind off added latency? But if it's constant that's not much of an issue I guess.

I don't recall much latency in my experience. I play with just the Wiimote using Bluetooth all the time and have no problems at all, and I can't imagine it would suddenly get worse using the drum. If you're planning to use them to play the Wii games on Dolphin, you can always adjust the timing offset in the case of any lag.

Sorry for the double post, but reminder that the 7th and final DLC pack for Taiko 3DS2, featuring Natsu Matsuri, One Night Carnival, Matsuken Samba II, Don-chan Ondo, Yozakura Shanikusai, Densetsu no Matsuri, and Dokidoki Mune Kyun Omatsuri Time, is now out!

Also, word on the street is that non-import system owners might be able to play the 3DS games more easily now, huh?

edit: Oh man, I had no idea what Yozakura Shanikusai was, ahaha. That was pretty cool.

edit2: it goes deeper???

d+pad

So, after admiring this series from afar for years, I've finally jumped aboard with the first DS game. Really liking it so far even though I'm playing using buttons rather than styli. Going to try the dual-styli approach tonight :)

Oh, and I also recently acquired a copy of the first Taiko game for 3DS, although I'm not going to start it until I've given the DS game a thorough once-over...

linid0t

Just wanted to ask which one of the two Taiko 3DS games is better? Keep in mind that I'll be importing using the RegionThree trick and so I won't be able to access any internet download content - I heard the second one has download tracks?

Thanks in advance

Impotaku

It's totally down to song taste but for me the second game is a lot better plus yes you can get extra DLC tracks so you can at least expand the game with new songs and quests if you want to.

Dagon

Amazing OP! Well done.

I've been wanting to check out the series for a long time now.

I have an import 3DS and I'm considering picking up the latest one. I'm slightly concerned that my poor Japanese skills will stop me from enjoying the game.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
The Taiko no Tatsujin Bachi Pen DX set might be of interest to you then, I grabbed a pair of these after struggling with the 3DS stylus for long enough, it's made the game just that more comfortable for me and my giant hands.

It looks like playasia have them on offer right now for about $13.

I don't know if that's standard, but my copy of Chibi Dragon came with a stylus set like that that I'm using, haha.

Amazing OP! Well done.

I've been wanting to check out the series for a long time now.

I have an import 3DS and I'm considering picking up the latest one. I'm slightly concerned that my poor Japanese skills will stop me from enjoying the game.

Really, you don't need to know any Japanese to enjoy the game. The only time somewhat decent comprehension is required is for a single puzzle in the story mode in the second 3DS game, but there are guides online to help instruct with that, and the game solves the puzzle for you if you make a couple mistakes.

Just wanted to ask which one of the two Taiko 3DS games is better? Keep in mind that I'll be importing using the RegionThree trick and so I won't be able to access any internet download content - I heard the second one has download tracks?

Thanks in advance

When the DLC songs are a non-factor, it really just comes down to which song list your prefer, or whether the type of single player mode matters to you. Personally, without DLC I kinda prefer the first game's tracklist, but I'd recommend checking them out yourself. If you're not familiar with enough of the songs to make a decision, the second game has a few more songs total on cart, so perhaps that may a better choice.

Aizo

Banned
Finally got tokumori and a tatakon today. This is my first time owning a home console version, and I'm having a lot of trouble getting used to the size of the tatakon. I always hit the sides of the rim in the arcade, but that's too awkward of a movement. I like it, but I'm getting used to it. I find that my hits often don't register, because I'm afraid of hitting too hard.

Does anyone use a different kind of drumstick that they recommend?

Also, newest 3DS one recommended? Sounds awk to play with buttons.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure everyone starts out trying to be relatively gentle with the Tatacon, but it can take some abuse, and registers hits most consistently if you're using some decent force. I've probably played on the actual arcade machine, like, 4 times in my life, so I can't really speak on getting accustomed to the size compared to the real thing, aside from just assuming that it takes time.

I'm not sure if there are any premade drumsticks that people like, but using custom drumsticks (&#12510;&#12452;&#12496;&#12481;) is a popular option, and if you look up &#12510;&#12452;&#12496;&#12481;&#12398;&#20316;&#12426;&#26041;, you should find some decent tutorials. It seems a bit involved, though. I've never tried it myself so I'm not sure of the skill level required. Maybe there are some people have already made up for sale somewhere, I dunno. (edit: there seem to be some on sale on Amazon JP for ranging from 1000 to 3000 yen or so)

And yeah, I totally recommend the latest 3DS game. It's got a sizable number of songs on cart, and over 100 with DLC, which is a cool thing to be able to take around with you. I actually primarily play Taiko with buttons nowadays and think it's a lot of fun. You can give playing with buttons a shot on Tokumori and see how you like it first. And there's also the option of using the styli on the 3DS game, but I'm not a huge fan.

Aizo

Banned
Yeah. Styli sounds even more awkward. I'll check out the &#12510;&#12452;&#12496;&#12481; Thanks!
How often does dlc come to &#29305;&#30427;&#12426;?
Edit: is playing with normal drumsticks no good?

There still hasn't been a whole lot of official word when it comes to Tokumori's DLC plans, but 2-3 free DLC songs a month seems to be the norm, though there strangely hasn't been any for January. It's all much less concrete than 3DS2's DLC, or even Wii U Version's DLC.

If by normal drumsticks you mean, like, plain drum drumsticks, then I have no idea. Doing some brief reading online, it's evidently not recommended, as its large tip damages the sensor.

Kid Ying

Yeah, i dont understand what is happening. Wiiu version had dlc every months, but tokumori had for two months and nothing in january. Hope it was just a mistake and next months will have it again.

Yeah, I was totally expecting more Tokumori DLC to be announced at the Taiko Game Party Japan stream, but it didn't happen. Not sure why they don't try to make the release schedule more consistent or announce DLC further in advance than the day it releases. Makes the fate of the game seem up in the air. (Just noticed that the DLC is even sorted monthly on the official website. Seems like the plan was to have it monthly, but I dunno what the deal is with January.)

What did get announced is a new arcade version, location testing in two weeks. So that's neat.

Top Bottom