• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taiko no Tatsujin |Series Discussion Thread| A Donderful World

linid0t

So for the 3DS versions of the game, do you not need to press both sides for the big notes? I feel like I remember that you had to for the older DS games, but maybe I'm remembering wrong.

If not, what's the point of the big notes if you can do the same thing as the small notes?

Thanks in advance

Any big changes for arcade?

We know basically nothing about it aside from that it exists, but I really doubt there's gonna be any significant new stuff aside from the usual batch of new tracks (and removal of some old ones). I think there's some minor cosmetic stuff announced but that's it.

So for the 3DS versions of the game, do you not need to press both sides for the big notes? I feel like I remember that you had to for the older DS games, but maybe I'm remembering wrong.

If not, what's the point of the big notes if you can do the same thing as the small notes?

Thanks in advance

Big notes get you more points. In the arcade version it happens automatically, but in home versions, you need to hit both sides on big notes to get the extra points, otherwise it'll just be a normal amount.

Apologies for the double post, but we've got some pretty neat Taiko 3DS news (and of course still nothing for Tokumori, lol)

Even though 3DS2 is done getting song packs, starting today, it'll be getting weekly DLC songs priced at 150 yen a pop. This month's lineup includes Switch On! (already out), Chocolate Disco, Tank!, and Hare Hare Yukai. Pretty neat lineup so far, imo. Though Tank's Ura is totally gonna wreck any chance I have of FCing all of the anime section, lol.

Also, two Taiko 3DS themes coming out later this month:

WFs1v7r.jpg
dCcdmfb.jpg

Seems like the 3DS is really getting all of Taiko Team's love.

edit: First look at some of Murasaki's new songs:

Not much that does anything for me, but Luka Luka is fun.

Aizo

Banned
Nothing for Tokumori this month? :/

Also, is most of the 3ds dlc still available? My "New 3DS" should arrive soon, so I'll be getting the game ^^

Haven't heard anything for this month, though Tokumori DLC tends to get announced more-or-less right as it goes up. Really not sure what the deal is. Even if it's not the most profitable endeavor with the Wii U's userbase, I can't imagine porting songs between versions requires all that much work. They could even make it paid DLC.

All the 3DS2 DLC is still up, and I believe the free Frozen songs are still free. Seems like it'll be getting DLC support for the foreseeable future too.

In more general discussion, it's pretty crazy how much one can improve over a short period of time playing at least an hour a day. Between the time I put the thread up and now, I think I've gone from struggling with pretty much every 9 star to being able to clear 9 stars and some of the easier 10 stars without difficulty (with my most proud accomplishment being almost passing Black Rose Apostle but missing the last two notes to put me below the clear line, lol). Still wouldn't say I'm very good yet, but I feel a hell of a lot more confident taking on difficult sections.

Of the two free songs, one of them (Let it Go) is in the Tokumori base game and the other (Do You Want to Build a Snowman) was free DLC for Tokumori (now also paid), so you might already have it

I don't even understand how one plays well with buttons. Which buttons do you use? Two for どん and two for か?

Yeah. The default maps face buttons to don and shoulders to kat, but I don't like that. I played like that for a while, and ended up having my pointer finger cramp a lot and not being able to switch between the two types of notes well. imo, it makes a lot more sense to use the same fingers for both inputs (you use the same arm for both when playing on the real thing, after all), so the first thing I do when booting up a Taiko game for the first time is switch to (what is usually) control method B, which looks like this:

Then from there it's all just playing a lot and building up muscle memory. I find that skills between all types of modes of input (Tatacon, buttons, touch screen, whatever) are pretty transferable (like knowing how to handle certain strings of notes), it's just a matter of using that method enough so that your hands can react as fast as you read in the notes.

Alpha_eX

I'm visiting Tokyo next month and wondering if anyone in this thread is local? I'm looking to get some new bachi with nice bounce, I've seen some kids in the arcades with them before but not sure where to get them.

Any advice?

J-Fr

Hello!

I'm starting a project to translate Taiko no Tatsujin Wii in english.
Is anyone interested in being a translator or a graphic artist among TaikoGAF?

I already extracted most of the texts and images of the game and made sure it is possible to reimport them. (Not sure if it's tolerated to talk about that on NeoGAF?)

Aizo

Banned
Hello!

I already extracted most of the texts and images of the game and made sure it is possible to reimport them. (Not sure if it's tolerated to talk about that on NeoGAF?)
I'm pretty busy right now, but I may be interested in translating. Depends on how much there is.

I'm visiting Tokyo next month and wondering if anyone in this thread is local? I'm looking to get some new bachi with nice bounce, I've seen some kids in the arcades with them before but not sure where to get them.

Any advice?

US here, but my impression is that people either make their own or order online (like these from Amazon JP... which might ship internationally? I've never tried. If not, you can use a forwarding service, or maybe see if you can get it shipped to where you're staying in Tokyo). Maybe not the most helpful answer if you're looking for brick-and-mortar, but I think they might be hard to come by via those means.

They're made specifically for the game, so they should have good weight and be able to do those fast drumrolls.

Hello!

Fan translation and emulation are totally fine topics. It's piracy talk that's no good.

Sounds like a neat project to me. Unfortunately I'm not very talented when it comes to graphics or translation though, lol.

To what extent are you translating the game? Obviously all the menus, informative text, UI elements, and story dialog need to be translated to English, but are you going to be translating song names and lyrics too? Or are those going to be Romaji? Plus, I think there's at least a few sections that have voice acting but no text (some small like Don-chan announcing you have mail, some longer like a few story bits), is it possible to add subtitles to those?

J-Fr

I'm pretty busy right now, but I may be interested in translating. Depends on how much there is.

I counted 50+ labels for options (multiply that by 2 for the descriptions), 70 song titles, 30 drum sfx, add to that modifiers, notes.. 2 or 3 backgrounds have billboards.
The story mode contains 26 talks + the ending credit scroll.

In dojo mode there are 100+ trials, with each a title, an objective and a description. There are also 30 ranks.

Finally if you count mails, there are 114 of them. And 45 songs have lyrics.

I think that's about it? I surely forgot a few system messages and some labels.
The most annoying thing is that Namco used some labels 8 or more times (1 for the dojo, 1 for the solo, 2 for the multiplayer, double that because there is the same folder but compressed).

Edit: how I extracted system messages, story, mails and lyrics (the rest are images):
Excel sheet

Fan translation and emulation are totally fine topics. It's piracy talk that's no good.

Sounds like a neat project to me. Unfortunately I'm not very talented when it comes to graphics or translation though, lol.

To what extent are you translating the game? Obviously all the menus, informative text, UI elements, and story dialog need to be translated to English, but are you going to be translating song names and lyrics too? Or are those going to be Romaji? Plus, I think there's at least a few sections that have voice acting but no text (some small like Don-chan announcing you have mail, some longer like a few story bits), is it possible to add subtitles to those?

Thanks, I appreciate the interest!

Some styled kanjis in backgrounds or onto characters seem pretty hard to translate (it would break to Japanese feel of the game? On the same topic, do we keep Oni? Are Saitama2000 or Tenjiku2000 even translatable?)
Perhaps some emblematic song titles are best left in romanjis.

At the beginning I wanted to have the lyrics translated but there may be a way to keep both the English and the romanjis (if you use two lines in the same label, the second line gets mangled by the screen limits. There should be a way to move around the label).

For the voiced lines in the story mode, subtitles can be embedded in videos (I haven't extracted them yet but the file format is known).
Aside from a few onomatopoeias here and there, the only voiced lines are when you left the game for a few minutes without touching the controller; Don-chan starts talking.
Those lines will be much harder to translate.

Thanks for the info, interesting stuff.

Even in just talking about the game, "how much should be translated and how much should be left as is" comes up a lot. I definitely think that "maintaining the Japanese feel" is an important part of it, and recent official English Taiko media seems to agree (Don-chan (honorific intact) is hailed as being from "Taiko no Tatsujin" rather than "Taiko Drum Master" in English Mario Kart Arcade DX, and his track is kept as "Omatsuri Circuit" rather than translated to "Festival Circuit", for instance). The issue of marketability obviously starts coming up, but that's not really much of a consideration in this sort of project.

At the same time, it's easy to go too far. For instance, Taiko Time blog uses "Hakuchou no Mizuumi" when referring to the song with "~still a duckling~" as the subtitle, which I don't think makes sense when it's readily known as "Swan Lake" in English-speaking regions. Same goes with "Mori no Kuma-san" vs "The Other Day I Met a Bear", and others. Then it gets even trickier when you get to anime OPs with well-recognized (or even official) English titles, like "Zankoku na Tenshi no Thesis" vs "Cruel Angel's Thesis", or any number of Ghibli tracks.

Personally, my stance tends to be only translating that which has a commonly used English name, but I can empathize with the argument that in a translation, you want to see the meaning of the song title in a way you can understand.

J-Fr

Thanks for the info, interesting stuff.

Even in just talking about the game, "how much should be translated and how much should be left as is" comes up a lot. I definitely think that "maintaining the Japanese feel" is an important part of it, and recent official English Taiko media seems to agree (Don-chan (honorific intact) is hailed as being from "Taiko no Tatsujin" rather than "Taiko Drum Master" in English Mario Kart Arcade DX, and his track is kept as "Omatsuri Circuit" rather than translated to "Festival Circuit", for instance). The issue of marketability obviously starts coming up, but that's not really much of a consideration in this sort of project.

At the same time, it's easy to go too far. For instance, Taiko Time blog uses "Hakuchou no Mizuumi" when referring to the song with "~still a duckling~" as the subtitle, which I don't think makes sense when it's readily known as "Swan Lake" in English-speaking regions. Same goes with "Mori no Kuma-san" vs "The Other Day I Met a Bear", and others. Then it gets even trickier when you get to anime OPs with well-recognized (or even official) English titles, like "Zankoku na Tenshi no Thesis" vs "Cruel Angel's Thesis", or any number of Ghibli tracks.

Personally, my stance tends to be only translating that which has a commonly used English name, but I can empathize with the argument that in a translation, you want to see the meaning of the song title in a way you can understand.

Didn't knew about the Mario Kart Arcade GP DX game, and it was released in Europe too?
Omatsuri/matsuri are recurring words from the franchise, it makes sense to keep them like that.
But on the other hand, I have not the slightest idea of what Bonodori means. (They kept Rue Bonodori and Circuit Omatsuri on the french Wikipedia page.)

Swan Lake, The Other Day I Met a Bear or Cruel Angel's Thesis are already well known titles in the western culture, it has more lasting impact if you know were the song comes from. Even if you never heard of it, there will be more references on the web when looking for the English names. For Hakuchou no Mizuumi, I was under the impression that because Namco departed completely from the original material they used a different name. But Google translation gives me back Swan Lake.

In the J-Pop category I don't know if the western communities are using the translated titles or romanji?

Edit: There's something I never understood in the Donkey Konga and Taiko Dum Master translations. Why they don"t kept the little sfx names under the notes? (Do/Ko/Don/Kat/Ka are often used during the story mode/tutorial.)

J-Fr

I don't think I'm up for that much work haha

I understand ^^', at first there doesn't seem to be much text in a rhythm game.

You could help me with the integration at first, I would be very grateful! I need one sample from each category (one mail, two or three lines from the story, one entry from the dojo and a menu) to see how well the text fits, and do any necessary changes.

If you can handle more, you could also work on only one category. (Options, gameplay elements, story, dojo or mails.)
I'll be able do to song titles with a bit a research. And Pikaby gave me his permission to use the lyrics on Taiko Time, so half of the work would already be done in this category.

Has Tokumori been abandoned? :/

Two months straight with no word on DLC certainly isn't looking good. Murasaki version releases in arcades next week, though, and I'd honestly be really surprised if Tokumori doesn't get some of its new tracks soon after.

I'm expecting word on 3DS2's DLC for March the day after tomorrow (though we pretty much already know what it's gonna be thanks to info on the servers), sooo... optimistically, maybe we'll get Tokumori info too? Possibly?

Aizo

Banned
How many DLC songs did 3DS2 get? I was hoping to get somewhere around the same number, but that looks unlikely now.

I played a demo for that 3DS one last week. Do you have to play that RPG-like story mode to unlock anything important? I wasn't digging it. Seemed very tacked on, and the environment was pretty dull..

Right now it's at 51 DLC songs, with 3 more coming this month, and 4 more leaked from the servers that are most likely from next month. Plus, none of them really look like "final DLC songs" (like how PSP DX got Shimedore2000+), so I imagine it'll keep going even further into the year. Perhaps up to June, when the game released last year. Sadly, there's really no hope for Tokumori getting that much. 3DS2 already far outpaced Wii U version, and Tokumori can't even compare to that.

I'm with you on the RPG mode, not a fan myself. But unfortunately you do need to play it to unlock all the boss songs, which is pretty much the norm for handheld Taiko games at this point. You also need to play it to unlock costumes, but those aren't quite as big a deal.

As far as other Taiko news goes, the Murasaki ver. release livestream is in just 3 days now, and in addition to the obvious information about Murasaki's new songs and features, it's promising info about the future of the Taiko series as a whole. With the future of Taiko games on consoles a bit unclear (at least, I see it as being unclear due to how seemingly abandoned Tokumori is in the face of 3DS2 getting so much content), I can't help but wonder if there will be news on that front. Or maybe they'll just be announcing the third 3DS game, lol.

It's a damn shame they are not on PSN, I would buy the ones for PSP if I could.

Yeah, I think it's a matter of licensing issues :/ I know I'd love to have Taiko PSP DX on my Vita.

If you have the means to play UMDs, though, they're really great, DX in particular is one of my favorites in the series. Plus, they don't really cost all that much nowadays.

Cranzor

I imported DS2 recently and I'm having a lot of fun with it. I didn't even know of the series until a few weeks ago. This is my first one!

I want to try one with an actual drum and it seems like the Wii ones would be my best. Unfortunately, the costs seem a little high. I'll probably still go for it eventually but $100 for one game and the drum (including shipping forwarding from Japan) is a little pricey.

If the 3DS and Wii U weren't region locked, I'd definitely import those games.

Awesome to hear you're enjoying it! DS2 was the first console game I played too, it's pretty neat. It has a solid tracklist, with probably the most "Taiko regular" songs out of the DS trilogy, so it makes a good starting point. Only problems are it's a bit more pricey than the other DS games, and has the largest language barrier (still not much of a language barrier, you just need to be wearing certain costumes at certain times in story mode to progress).

Wii and Wii U Taiko games are definitely my top home console recommendations, but when you can get the Taiko Drum Master bundle on Amazon for $30, as opposed to over $100 for a Wii bundle, that might be the best way to go for starters. From there, you can pick up a Swap Magic to play the import PS2 games, or you can take the plunge on a Wii bundle later.

Cranzor

Awesome to hear you're enjoying it! DS2 was the first console game I played too, it's pretty neat. It has a solid tracklist, with probably the most "Taiko regular" songs out of the DS trilogy, so it makes a good starting point. Only problems are it's a bit more pricey than the other DS games, and has the largest language barrier (still not much of a language barrier, you just need to be wearing certain costumes at certain times in story mode to progress).

Wii and Wii U Taiko games are definitely my top home console recommendations, but when you can get the Taiko Drum Master bundle on Amazon for $30, as opposed to over $100 for a Wii bundle, that might be the best way to go for starters. From there, you can pick up a Swap Magic to play the import PS2 games, or you can take the plunge on a Wii bundle later.

It's so fun! I just unlocked Oni and cleared my first Oni song today. I chose the second DS game because I liked the tracklist and it was the only one I could find on Amazon that came with the case and manual for a reasonable price. My Japanese isn't great or anything but I know enough to be able to get through the story mode.

I'd totally buy that bundle if I had a PS2, but unfortunately I don't own one. I'm almost considering buying it anyway because that price is so good! But yeah, I think the Wii one is probably the way to go for me. I just need some time to let that price settle in before I go for it.

redhairedking

I'm thinking about getting into Taiko with the 3DS iteration and regionthree. Is this a good place to start (is there a bad place to start?)?

It's so fun! I just unlocked Oni and cleared my first Oni song today. I chose the second DS game because I liked the tracklist and it was the only one I could find on Amazon that came with the case and manual for a reasonable price. My Japanese isn't great or anything but I know enough to be able to get through the story mode.

I'd totally buy that bundle if I had a PS2, but unfortunately I don't own one. I'm almost considering buying it anyway because that price is so good! But yeah, I think the Wii one is probably the way to go for me. I just need some time to let that price settle in before I go for it.

Ah, gotcha. My bad, lol.

Yeah, if you don't already own a PS2, and are willing to drop that kind of money down the line, then I think holding out for a Wii 4 or 5 bundle (or one of the others if you can manage to find them still being sold or prefer their tracklist) is the way to go. It'll make a bit of a financial dent, but on the plus side, those are really good entries with tons of songs, so you'll be set for a while.

I'm thinking about getting into Taiko with the 3DS iteration and regionthree. Is this a good place to start (is there a bad place to start?)?

For sure, the 3DS games are great. Only problem is that you won't be able to get any of the DLC for the second game, and even though they enhance the tracklist a good deal imo, it's still solid without it. Considering the DLC is a non-factor, just pick whichever has more songs you prefer, or which single player mode sounds more interesting to you if you care about that. (edit: oh also how important bonus taiko styli are to you is another consideration, lol)

I wouldn't say there's any "bad place to start" once you get past some of the really early games, but for systems like PS2, PSP, and Wii, there are some games on each platform that I think are much more preferable than others. There are also some titles whose difficulty curves I don't really like, but that hasn't been the case for any of the recent games for a while.

Aizo

Banned
I started hard mode on Tokumori the other week, and it's really fun. I wish I could play more Vocaloid songs. My limit is 6 stars on hard, but it is so inconsistent. Some 6 star songs are waaayyy to hard. I don't play super often, but it is really cathartic after getting off from the job I hate haha. How can I stay annoyed with all the happy colors and dancing eels??!!

Even if Tokumori doesn't get more dlc, I hope another wii u game is announced or something. I just wanna play more songs on my tatakon :)

Edit: 5 dlc songs--compared to the first wii u one, which has 34--is pretty sad. They have to do at least some more. Maybe I should buy the other wii u one... hmm...

Cranzor

Ah, gotcha. My bad, lol.

Yeah, if you don't already own a PS2, and are willing to drop that kind of money down the line, then I think holding out for a Wii 4 or 5 bundle (or one of the others if you can manage to find them still being sold or prefer their tracklist) is the way to go. It'll make a bit of a financial dent, but on the plus side, those are really good entries with tons of songs, so you'll be set for a while.

Is there any point in getting a bundle over the items individually? It seems like buying them separately would be much cheaper.

I think I'd probably start with Wii 4 since I'm a sucker for We Are! from One Piece and anything Ghibli. I love that the Totoro song is in there.

I started hard mode on Tokumori the other week, and it's really fun. I wish I could play more Vocaloid songs. My limit is 6 stars on hard, but it is so inconsistent. Some 6 star songs are waaayyy to hard. I don't play super often, but it is really cathartic after getting off from the job I hate haha. How can I stay annoyed with all the happy colors and dancing eels??!!

Even if Tokumori doesn't get more dlc, I hope another wii u game is announced or something. I just wanna play more songs on my tatakon :)

Edit: 5 dlc songs--compared to the first wii u one, which has 34--is pretty sad. They have to do at least some more. Maybe I should buy the other wii u one... hmm...

Yeah, star ranking is really inconsistent, especially when you go between genres. Oni Saitama2000 having the same 7 star ranking as Senbonzakura or Cruel Angel's Thesis is kinda silly imo. And on the plus side, it's super satisfying to be able to come back to songs you thought you had no chance at and being able to clear them. Some of the songs I play the most now I would've thought were totally impossible a year ago.

Getting the first Wii U game definitely seems worth looking into, though not all the DLC is available now. There's always the Wii games, too.

Is there any point in getting a bundle over the items individually? It seems like buying them separately would be much cheaper.

I think I'd probably start with Wii 4 since I'm a sucker for We Are! from One Piece and anything Ghibli. I love that the Totoro song is in there.

If you can get them cheaper separately, then sure, go for it. Most import sites don't seem to have individual Tatacons in stock very often, though, so your best bet would be probably be forwarding from Amazon JP or something similar.

Aizo

Banned
I think eventually I'll get the other wii u one, wii 4 and 5, and 3ds2. I'm sad all the 3ds2 dlc is paid now. That's damn expensive to get it all.

I think eventually I'll get the other wii u one, wii 4 and 5, and 3ds2. I'm sad all the 3ds2 dlc is paid now. That's damn expensive to get it all.

Yeah, its been much easier to swallow having been there from the start and getting the DLC as it releases. Jumping in on PSP DX post-release was intimidating, lol.

Anyways, the main portion of the Murasaki release livestream just ended, and we got some pretty good info out of it. (Screenshot credits to the Taiko Time Twitter)

As far as new Murasaki features go, there were the obvious new songs (most of which we knew about, but we got some new announcements too), new outfits, additional Taiko profile features (like being able to set default difficulty and Taiko sound), a new invite system with exclusive rewards (including this little buddy for your avatar), and some other minor changes like more folders, more dojo ranks and a rearranged results screen. Nothing huge, but huge changes aren't really the norm, lol.

More relevant to my interests were the announcements for the home console games. Folks should be happy to hear that Tokumori finally got a free DLC pack for March announced, Taiko Plus gets a Miku song pack, and 3DS2's April DLC was teased as being Namco Original-centric, which we already knew from the leaks.

Other than that, there were some chats with charters and composers (including the naming of a new Namco Original track), some demoing of Murasaki, and polls, including what Taiko merch people would like to see, and what Taiko characters they want to be added as mini avatar characters. Fun stuff. Looking forward to seeing the new Murasaki charts as videos release tomorrow, and any secrets that may have been included.

Aizo

Banned
Huh. For some reason, my subscriptions didn't get updated when you posted that; I was about to post about the updates to Murasaki and Tokumori. I'm stoked for more songs on Tokumori!! I don't really know those songs, unfortunately. haha

Alpha_eX

Thanks Bankslammer, only just noticed you linked to some decent looking bachi! I'm going to Japan on Friday so will order a pair or two to my hotel. Very hyped to try the latest taiko game in the arcade and hopefully, find a cheap Wii U to bring home.

Aizo

Banned
Thanks Bankslammer, only just noticed you linked to some decent looking bachi! I'm going to Japan on Friday so will order a pair or two to my hotel. Very hyped to try the latest taiko game in the arcade and hopefully, find a cheap Wii U to bring home.
You won't regret it.

Cranzor

If you can get them cheaper separately, then sure, go for it. Most import sites don't seem to have individual Tatacons in stock very often, though, so your best bet would be probably be forwarding from Amazon JP or something similar.

I looked through the earlier pages of this thread after reading your post and found out about AmiAmi. I was looking at the Wii 4 bundle for about a week (it's a really good price). Unfortunately it wasn't marked as sold out, and when I went to buy it I was disappointed to see that it was. But I ended getting Wii 4 from another import site and then a Tatacon from the US Amazon with free shopping. I spent about $100 total which isn't too bad. I'm excited for them to come, although I think the game will be here a week or two before the Tatacon! Not sure if I should just play with a controller until then or wait to play with the Tatacon for the first time.

Also, for anyone interested, these incredible Tatsudon shirts just went up for sale recently. Here's the Taiko Time post where I originally saw it. I want to buy it but I figure I already spent enough money on Taiko stuff this week!

$100 including shipping is a more than fine price for Wii4+Tatacon. I think I paid a good deal more for my first Wii bundle.

The Tatsudon shirt is pretty fantastic, lol. During the Murasaki livestream they polled the crowd in regards to what Tatsudon merchandise they want, with phone straps, phone cases, and... er... dakimakura coming out on top, so maybe I'll look into one of those if they ever come out. For how many games I have, I'm awfully light on Taiko merch (in that I have none, lol)

Also, seems like the Tokumori DLC is out now. Didn't realize that 3 of them were brand new debuting songs, so that's pretty rad.

Nope, just appreciating it from afar. Import Wii Us are getting closer to my ideal pricepoint, but $250-$350 for a second Wii U I'd pretty much only use for Taiko is a bit much at the moment.

... but at the same time, all the limited-time free content has me feeling like it might be worth picking one up sooner rather than later. Though I've already missed so much of it by now anyways, lol.

Eh, one day.

Aizo

Banned
Oh, that would make it a tough choice. This wii u is my only wii u.
Edit: Fast songs hurt my eyes, Banks. I don't know what to do. I've gotten to the 6 star songs on hard, but the once that are too fast really mess with my eyes. After I fail the song, I look away from the screen, and find that the movement of the screen temporarily affects my vision—static objects move a bit. Are my eyes just crap, or will I adapt?

I've had similar reactions to notes that scroll too quickly, but it's only really been, like, the fastest of the fast stuff. Like, when I was forced to play an already pretty fast song at double/triple speed for story mode, or the end of Ura Angel Dream. I felt pretty nauseous, with similar symptoms of feeling like things around me are moving, and had to put the game down for a while. I haven't used speed modifiers since, so I can't really say how much better or worse I've gotten in that regard (though I can't recall being noticeably affected by fast scrolling since this past summer), but I do think I've learned to handle fast songs better. I think a lot of it has to do with being able to recognize patterns at a glance, whereas before I would need to read every note individually, which I guess must be taxing on the eyes.

I can really only speak from my own experience, though. I've personally only had problems on a select few instances.

Aizo

Banned
I've had similar reactions to notes that scroll too quickly, but it's only really been, like, the fastest of the fast stuff. Like, when I was forced to play an already pretty fast song at double/triple speed for story mode, or the end of Ura Angel Dream. I felt pretty nauseous, with similar symptoms of feeling like things around me are moving, and had to put the game down for a while. I haven't used speed modifiers since, so I can't really say how much better or worse I've gotten in that regard (though I can't recall being noticeably affected by fast scrolling since this past summer), but I do think I've learned to handle fast songs better. I think a lot of it has to do with being able to recognize patterns at a glance, whereas before I would need to read every note individually, which I guess must be taxing on the eyes.

I can really only speak from my own experience, though. I've personally only had problems on a select few instances.
You can play that? Damn. How long did it take for you to become this good?

Nah, I've never gotten the ending part, lol. Around 2:29 I just can't read it anymore. Pretty sure you're supposed to memorize the notes at that point, but I've never bothered trying, and just sorta let myself miss all the notes. Honestly, I just don't think it's very good design. Which is a shame, because I like the chart otherwise. (or maybe I'm undervaluing high-level players's ability to read notes quickly)

Fast scrolling notes and fast streams of notes are things I just can't do, lol.

Cranzor

My eyes do the weird scrolling thing too. I think it's pretty normal when keeping your eyes fairly still while seeing so much movement. It doesn't necessarily hurt or make me nauseated though, and it goes away pretty quickly.

Although I just watched the video of Ura Angel Dream and my eyes do sort of hurt. That song is REALLY fast.

Malajax

Unfortunately, I've hit a plateau with this series. Reading the notes isn't so hard, but configuring my hands to do them is really challenging. I've conditioned myself to play certain patterns in very specific ways, making some songs impossible to full combo despite being able to read them.

For example, whenever a string like kkd comes up, I always use right, left, right to play it. A continuous string of kkd (kkd kkd kkd kkd etc) I'll keep playing the same way and usually trip up at some point. The better way is to switch hands constantly, but that's really challenging for me!

Need some more practice, but not being able to play most of the new tracks on console kinda bums me out.

I was definitely in a similar position, around the time I started playing 3DS1. I had loathed ddk and kkd for a while, but could do them well enough to get by when it was a single one or a slow series of them. 3DS1 was the first time I couldn't clear a sizeable portion of the songs in the game on Oni, in part due to this.

You might not like the solution I'm going to give you, but that's when I started learning to switch hands on every note. Yeah, you don't play as well as you did before at first, but following that I honestly felt like I was improving twice as fast. At this point, kkd series are one of the series of notes that comes most naturally to me.

Aizo

Banned
It's just like playing guitar. If you start to learn alternate picking (switching between up and down strokes each time you play a note) after playing for a while, it'll be really rough to switch over. I never had that issue with guitar, but I am definitely having trouble with this game, in that regard. hahah

Top Bottom