• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Takamaru Was Originally Planned to Be Playable in Super Smash Bros. 3DS/Wii U

Eolz

Aw, that's a shame, I would have loved him.
On the other hand, another sword user...
I know this isn't a popular opinion, but I would have preferred him to replace Shulk.

The topic title is inaccurate. Sakurai actually said that he briefly considered Takamaru but decided against him due to a lack of recognition. “Planned” suggests he was finalized and penciled into the roster at some point, but Takamaru didn’t even make it past the brainstorming stage. Sakurai only brought up Takamaru in the first place because he was asked about him.

Yeah, this is probably worth reinforcing. Takamaru came up because Sugita, one of the people on the stream this is sourced from, voiced him in Smash 4.

Nightbird

Lack of familiarity within the fanbase?

LOL

When has being obscurity stopped them from implementing a character until now?

Well, because if this Reason the Fire Emblem Characters were ment to be cut from Melee in the European/American Version.

But since we all saw how that played out and how it affected the Franchise i'd say that this is one Reason more why it doesn't make sense

TomShoe

Banned
Lol. Maybe in Smash 6 when Sakurai and Co. have run out of B and C-rate characters first.

Squirtle > Takamaru

That's the just the way it is.

Azure J

All these unimaginative people in here spouting "do not pass go, you have a sword" and not realizing there are a grand total of four actual play styles/molds shared between ~11 characters using a sword.

THAT'S something worth being upset over.

I'm not going to tell you why this can't be compared to the Fire Emblem situation, but you should be happy that he was at least considered. That means he has a higher chance of appearing in the next game. Unlike Ridley.

Yeah, but I'm pretty done with thinking about rosters after going through this and Brawl. Next time I'm just going with the flow.

L Thammy

The sword wasn't even his main weapon in the game, to be fair. Though I guess you can't have shuriken for your normal attacks.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I want Nintendo to put out Nazo no Murasame Jo on Wii U VC. I don't want to play it on 3DS. I know it's on there in Japan....

Sterok

Would've been interesting, but Duck Hunt filled the retro rep just fine. And we got a blue-haired sword fighter anyway with Lucina.

What's up with the Marth comparison? He was a fairly popular character coming from a pretty big series. He was worthy on plenty of merits. Heck, he was probably more qualified than Ness. Fire Emblem not coming out of Japan at the time doesn't mean much when choosing the roster as long as the series was popular in Japan.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
That excuse sorta falls flat considering Marth and Roy in melee lol. Oh well what could have been.
Fire Emblem had about 6 games out in Japan when Melee was released & Roy was in to promote the next one. I think Sakurai is stating Takamaru's popularity in both Japan & the US.

Heck, Nintendo almost removed Marth & Roy from the US version because they figured nobody knew who they were, but left them in.

GameE

I included the link to GoNintendo that has it embedded. I wanted to make sure they get hits as they're a good source of info.

The video is nothing of value to most of GAF tho >_>
Btw, original source is Smash Boards, then gamefaqs picked up on it, then gonintendo.
As for gonintendo, well, let me not derail the thread.

Azure J

The sword wasn't even his main weapon in the game, to be fair. Though I guess you can't have shuriken for your normal attacks.

At the same time, I could only imagine what people would be saying about a character with Vergil smash attacks, Megaman's Metal Blades pitchable in groups of three and Villager's fair/bair using fireballs.

gosox333

Takamaru had one dedicated NES that was only released in Japan almost 30 years ago.

Sure there have been other obscure picks for Smash, but nothing on that level. This makes sense to me.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Well, because if this Reason the Fire Emblem Characters were ment to be cut from Melee in the European/American Version.

But since we all saw how that played out and how it affected the Franchise i'd say that this is one Reason more why it doesn't make sense

Pretty much the first thing I thought... using Smash to get players familiar with the character/series would have been the perfect way to introduce people and get something off the ground.

But I guess you can counter Fire Emblem with F-Zero, despite Captain Falcon's consistent appearance in Smash Bros apparently F-Zero's popularity only decreased over time.

Takamaru had one dedicated NES that was only released in Japan almost 30 years ago.

Sure, there have been other obscure picks for Smash, but nothing on that level. This makes sense to me.

Really? I'd put Ice Climbers and ROB on that same level.

I could have been reflecting projectiles with Takamaru!!! MOTHERFU-

Raaah! Seriously! This is not going to leave me.. There was an opportunity for him to appear as a playable character...

I guess Takamaru Mii will hold me for years to come.. :(

Richie

I still remember that night when us at SmashGAF were happening to be hyping Takamaru, then, almost as if Sakurai read the freaking thread, he drops the bomb of him being an Assist Trophy (in the cheekiest way possible, too). Great times.

You might as well just include the video link in the OP.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo2h4DlDLcc
90% of GAF probably wont understand it btw, its all in Japanese.

As for the character, I dont care much that he isnt in. I'd rather have someone like Duck Hunt.

I wonder what other gems of information are in here...

I mean, nobody cares/knows who Takamaru is, and we got more recent obscure characters like Shulk instead. Plus Duck Hunt is way cooler.

I think, like Little Mac, they should wait until Nintendo decides to put make some kind of reboot and use whatever updated design and material they make for that.

Zalman

Pretty much the first thing I thought... using Smash to get players familiar with the character/series would have been the perfect way to introduce people and get something off the ground.
If there was a new Murasame Castle in the works, I guarantee you Takamaru would've been playable.

Doorman

All of you Nazo no Murasamejou fans just be happy that your character is getting recognition, even through things like Nintendoland and the fact that he was considered at all.

I'll just be over here next to Skapon, crying.

Mortemis

Banned
You know what to do Sakurai. Bring it back from the dead, uprising style!

He doesn't do non-smash sequels anyways, time for him to tackle another IP rather than kid icarus.

lmao at the reason. People still don't know what a fire emblem is or xenoblade.
Fire Emblem: Awakening sold quite well in the west, as did Xenoblade. Both games have sequels in the works.

Takamaru had one game ages ago that never even came over here.

Richie

lmao at the reason. People still don't know what a fire emblem is or xenoblade.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Awakening was a million seller, and sold well enough not only to save the series but to continue it with another installment on the 3DS coming this year.

No idea how Xenoblade sold but given there's a big budget sequel coming for the Wii U it's clear Nintendo has faith in the franchise.

Takamaru has neither the sales nor the recognition and there's no sign of a new installment in the horizon. Only chance was as a quirky retro rep out of nowhere, and the much more well-known Duck Hunt took that spot.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Yeah, this is probably worth reinforcing. Takamaru came up because Sugita, one of the people on the stream this is sourced from, voiced him in Smash 4.

W-wait...wait, wait, wait, wait.

SUGITA voiced Takamaru?

You mean I could've had a samurai in my Smash Brothers voiced by Gintoki himself?

Azure J

I mean, nobody cares/knows who Takamaru is, and we got more recent obscure characters like Shulk instead. Plus Duck Hunt is way cooler.

Meh. No great loss. Super-generic samurai ain't shit next to Duck Hunt Dog.

Why does this have to be an either or situation in the first place? I like the newcomers but thought Takamaru would be cool in addition.

I think, like Little Mac, they should wait until Nintendo decides to put make some kind of reboot and use whatever updated design and material they make for that.

Well, here's hoping something like this is sooner rather than later. I generally just like the simplicity of his design and feel like there's a particular action and aesthetic niche that could be served through him in Nintendo's current top level franchises.

Yeah not really buying this explanation since we have characters like ROB and Ice Climbers, and especially since Takamaru has at least made cameos in recent games and his series had a whole game in Nintendo Land.

Hey, speaking of which, where's my Nintendo Land stage and music?

Anyways, Smash is perfect for giving obscure characters a spotlight and making them more well known. I'll admit Takamaru would be likely the most obscure case yet, but after the initial first three/four weeks of "WHO IS THAT, NINTENDO IS RUNNING OUT OF IDEAS" people would love him and would be clamoring for a revival of the series.

Oh and also the Fire Emblem comparison is somewhat valid. I would make the (perhaps somewhat bold) claim that Awakening would not have been a crazy success in the west were it not for Smash putting it in view of the western audience. The Wii games did okay, but the build up to what FE has become in the west is thanks in large part to Smash, I believe.

Anura

All these unimaginative people in here spouting "do not pass go, you have a sword" and not realizing there are a grand total of four actual play styles/molds shared between ~11 characters using a sword.

THAT'S something worth being upset over.

Yeah, but I'm pretty done with thinking about rosters after going through this and Brawl. Next time I'm just going with the flow.

Huh? There is more than 4... Ike, link, Marth, Robin, Pit, MK and Shulk off the top of my head.

Edit: I see what you mean. I thought you were saying there were only 4 actually styles shared between clones not that there are only 4 cloned styles

Weetrick

giphy.gif

I really see his point, I'm a huge Nintendo fan and I know where every smash character is from, but this would have really throne me for a loop.

My immediate response as well. To be fair though, I didn't know about Marth and Roy until Melee.

Azure J

Huh? There is more than 4... Ike, link, Marth, Robin, Pit, MK and Shulk off the top of my head.

Damn, I forgot my math on this after doing it in one of the old PotD threads, but you're right. Still for all, that's a fencer, a knight, a berserker (because we'll never get that cool PoR/RD Ike), a magic swordsman (who really should have just gone all in with the tomes), Metaknight and a light saber user. Also, I dunno if I'd count Pit fully, he's more of a staff-turned-knife-turned-bow user.

Yeah not really buying this explanation since we have characters like ROB and Ice Climbers, and especially since Takamaru has at least made cameos in recent games and his series had a whole game in Nintendo Land.

Anyways, Smash is perfect for giving obscure characters a spotlight and making them more well known. I'll admit Takamaru would be likely the most obscure case yet, but after the initial first three/four weeks of "WHO IS THAT, NINTENDO IS RUNNING OUT OF IDEAS" people would love him and would be clamoring for a revival of the series.

Popular podcasts talked endless shit about how Smash is fucked because there's no new Nintendo characters so they had to resort to Robin and Shulk.

I can't imagine Takemaru would be on the same level of "I don't know who that is," it would probably be worse.

Pizza

Man takamaru is such a good fit for smash, or at least a sakurai-directed sequel since the story involves aliens taking over Japan and brainwashing ninjas.

FSLink

Banned
W-wait...wait, wait, wait, wait.

SUGITA voiced Takamaru?

You mean I could've had a samurai in my Smash Brothers voiced by Gintoki himself?

He voices Chrom as well. (JPN version)

Makes sense. If you want an NES rep, Little Mac and Duck Hunt are far better choices both mechanically and appeal wise.

Little Mac is more for the US though, I think Takamaru would have been cool for the Japanese.

But I'm guessing they went for more broad international appeal. RIP Lucas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPsHrWJbPg0

Looks like some music is being added to the Miiverse stage whenever it comes out.

CassSept

Wouldn't be surprised to see him in Smash 5 as '80s rep like Ice Climbers in Melee, Pit in Brawl and Little Mac in 3DS/U

Top Bottom