• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Takamaru Was Originally Planned to Be Playable in Super Smash Bros. 3DS/Wii U

takamaru-assist-trophy.jpg

As reported on GoNintendo, Takamaru was originally going to be put into the playable roster of Super Smash Bros. 3DS and Wii U. The reason he didn't make the cut? Lack of familiarity within the fanbase. To clarify, there was never model work or anything done, he was just in the brainstorming of the game. In the linked video, Sakurai also discusses being very aware of all the various insane character suggestions on Miiverse.

What say you, GAF? Should he have been made playable, or is his Assist Trophy status enough. I know I would've love to see him.

Zalman

More blue-haired sword fighters pls

It'd be neat to see him playable in the future, but I understand why they didn't do it.

FSLink

Banned
Oh what the fuck Sakurai.

In before "lolz should have been in before Dark Pit/Lucina/Dr.Mario" without having any thought on why and how clones are added.

L Thammy

Sakurai also discusses being very aware of all the various insane character suggestions on Miiverse.

Did he say his favourite?

I think a lot of the assist trophies are characters that were considered as playable characters. Takamaru, Ghirahim, Dark Samus...

Kid Icarus may have had two games and been released in the West but I doubt a significant number of the fanbase knew about him either.

Would have liked him in if only that it would help with the push for a new game with him. There are other characters I want in (Dixie, Impa,
Ridley
) before him.

Azure J

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Edit: This logic makes NO fucking sense when this is the series that made a large part of the Nintendo fanbase aware of what the fuck Fire Emblem was. That and I got fucking robbed of my iaijutsu character two times in a row for Smash. Totally sad right now.

Eh, on the one hand, I would have preferred him getting in as opposed to not (assuming he wouldn't have taken development time away from other characters, which he probs would have), but at the same time, we don't need ANOTHER swordsman in Smash.

FSLink

Banned
There's already enough sword users as is, why was this necessary?

Because playstyles aren't made just because they have the same weapon. He'd have a unique interesting playstyle and comes from a cool game from Nintendo's history.

EulaCapra

Motherfucking Dixie Kong and then maybe Chibi-Robo should've taken priority over the discussion of whether Takamaru would be playable first and firstmost.

Ryce

The topic title is inaccurate. Sakurai actually said that he briefly considered Takamaru but decided against him due to a lack of recognition. “Planned” suggests he was finalized and penciled into the roster at some point, but Takamaru didn’t even make it past the brainstorming stage. Sakurai only brought up Takamaru in the first place because he was asked about him.

The Lamp

Lack of familiarity within the fanbase?

LOL

When has being obscurity stopped them from implementing a character until now?

god dammit, takamaru was the only one of the 5 newcomers i predicted to be in the game who didn't make it. sakurai screwed me

shame, i think he could've been pretty cool

Varjet

Meh, "lack of familiarity" should hardly be an issue for a Smash character, seeing as Smash is a huge franchise itself.

The topic title is inaccurate. Sakurai actually said that he briefly considered Takamaru but decided against him due to a lack of recognition. “Planned” suggests he was finalized and penciled into the roster at some point, but Takamaru didn’t even make it past the brainstorming stage. Sakurai only brought up Takamaru in the first place because he was asked about him.
I'm just using the terminology of the article, but I can see your point. Either way, disappointing he was being considered and then dropped.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
You know what that means Sakurai?

Time for Murasame Castle: Uprising mofo!

Get Kamiya to do it. He stated on Twitter that Mursame Castle is one of his favorite games.
Just don't harass him, we don't want a repeat of Star Fox...

Zalman

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Edit: This logic makes NO fucking sense when this is the series that made a large part of the Nintendo fanbase aware of what the fuck Fire Emblem was. That and I got fucking robbed of my iaijutsu character two times in a row for Smash. Totally sad right now.
I'm not going to tell you why this can't be compared to the Fire Emblem situation, but you should be happy that he was at least considered. That means he has a higher chance of appearing in the next game. Unlike Ridley.

L Thammy

What is he from anyway?

Nazo no Murasame Jo. It's what Zelda 1 would have been if it was an arcade game.

Get Kamiya to do it. He stated on Twitter that Mursame Castle is one of his favorite games.
Just don't harass him, we don't want a repeat of Star Fox...

Isn't there a Star Fox easter egg in Bayonetta 2? I'm not sure that Kamiya seriously changed his mind about that, he just doesn't want to be pestered about a game he doesn't have the chance to make (yet).

JazzmanZ

So far these characters were considered to be playable in Smash 4 but ultimately didn't make the cut,

-Chrom
-Chorus Men
-Ridley
-Ice climbers
-Takamaru

anyone I missed?

Razmos

Eh, maybe now that Sakurai has revealed this, he might be added as DLC by popular demand now that we know he had some plans for the character, or if not that, then the next game.

That being said, I echo the sentiments of "Another blue haired swordsman? christ"

Azure J

Well at least Mike Jones and Lip have company in the "rickshaw den of characters who never get mothballs anymore".

Top Bottom