• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Takashi Miike's Blade of the Immortal trailer

Qvoth

huh they seem to incorporate the mugai ryu arc as well?
probably won't have any sequels then
i think kimura takuya is a bad choice as manji, too skinny i feel

No Manji on his back? Guess they don't want the Nazi association. Kinda a shame.

Other than that it looks like a Miike film. I really gotta get back to reading the manga.

MrDoctor

never even knew about this. the trailer looks entertaining, but there's no way to make the story work as a single movie

I can believe Miike has made 100 films due to the amount of trash he's made. Though he's made a ton of brilliant stuff too. Of course I won't claim to have seen even a fraction of it.

kswiston

I was reading the Dark Horse localization of the manga this was based on for a few years. I should go back and finish it one day. This film does a better job capturing the imagery than most live action Manga adaptations that I have seen screenshots or trailers for.

Seems like the movie is going to cover a lot, which makes me kinda nervous.

But the film seems to have a fun grindhousey feel.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Wonder how Watanabe feels with Takeshi basically aping the Samurai Champloo style. It totally works here, but I can't help feeling bad for him.

edit: agree that Manji is a little too scrawny for the part - the casting for everyone else looks on point though.

Kaizer

Banned
Saw this trailer a few days ago, looks pretty awesome. I read a bit of the manga a few years ago but never got too deep. Been waiting to see this for a while.

When it comes to Miike's films based on anime/manga, there's a lot of goofiness, but this looks decent to me. Samurai manga/anime always seem like the easiest stories to adapt due to not always requiring crazy amounts of CG. I enjoyed the hell out of the Rurouni Kenshin films, hopefully this will be good too.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
My friend watched the film at Cannes and said it was by far his favorite experience while he was there. The movie has some crazy sequences to enjoy :)

Raguel

As a fan of the manga, I don't like what I am seeing. They're also tackling a lot of story beats and arcs so I am worried that a lot of the nuances and subtlety as well as character beats are gonna be thrown away for the action. Which is unfortunate bc the Mugen no Junin manga is rich with great characters. It's the only manga I actually love enough to recommend to people.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
As a fan of the manga, I don't like what I am seeing. They're also tackling a lot of story beats and arcs so I am worried that a lot of the nuances and subtlety as well as character beats are gonna be thrown away for the action. Which is unfortunate bc the Mugen no Junin manga is rich with great characters. It's the only manga I actually love enough to recommend to people.

It's an action movie first and foremost - I don't know enough about the movie but the emphasis seems to be on set pieces and action. It's a shame, but BOTI has a lot to offer, visually and thematically. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets people diving into the source material afterwards.

Qvoth

Yep, this
And no way this movie can depict the 1 page killing scene spreads the manga used to do in the early days

Raguel

Yep, this
And no way this movie can depict the 1 page killing scene spreads the manga used to do in the early days
Yeah. The amount of work Samura put in for those splash pages in charcoal and pencil is just astounding. Some of them are worthy of being framed and hung on the wall.

What I also love about the manga is the lack of fan service and manga tropes. It's just a great series over all.

This movie seems to just aim for action and set pieces, which is disappointing.

Really? That's one of the best trailers I've ever seen. If anything, I'm afraid the movie won't live up to that trailer. But in Miike I trust.

Yeah, the music was terrible and some things feel a little too self-indulging but I'd love to be proven wrong. :) I just don't think it's that good of a trailer.

maomaoIYP

I'm not a fan of Kimura playing Manji.
But I must admit the trailer looked fun. Not much chance of the film ending on a satisfactory note for fans I suppose, considering the length of the source material.

Zen Aku

I swear I've seen a Japanese movie where a swordman also cannot die and there was a little girl following him too.

Top Bottom