• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Takashi Miike's Blade of the Immortal trailer

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Honestly as a big fan of the manga this looks... kinda disappointing? Cheap? There is a gravitas in the original art that is not translating in the movie for me.

It needs the beautiful dismemberment that is a big part of the identity of the art.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Honestly as a big fan of the manga this looks... kinda disappointing? Cheap? There is a gravitas in the original art that is not translating in the movie for me.

It needs the beautiful dismemberment that is a big part of the identity of the art.
Welcome to Japanese films. lol

Seiryoden

Hiroaki Samura's amazing art deserves better than Miike and the casting of KimuTaku as Manji is just plain weird. At least the gore level seems appropriate.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Looks better than his Jojo's Bizarre Adventure manga adaptation and actually looks decent all around but like others have said this appears to be covering A LOT which means its probably bouncing from action scene to action scene which is cool if they can pull them off but wished they were focusing a bit more. Also not enough of Shira, one of the more disturbing manga villains out there.

IronRinn

God, I used to love this comic back in the day. Did it ever wrap up?

Some of those scenes look like 1:1 recreations of panels I remember.

Yeah some parts of the trailer look good while a lot of it looks like one of those cosplay fan trailers.

I really liked the comic so I'll give it a watch.

louiedog

The sequel should be a team up with Jack Harkness.

JC2GaR7.jpg

Yo.

If I could make this movie. I've always wanted to do it with the art style of A scanner Darkly. Always thought that would sell the art style of the Manga well.

RMI

Banned
great. I have enjoyed a few Takashi Miike movies in the past and this looks like it is right in his wheelhouse.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Where did you see it? Any more details?
Saw it at the Sydney Film Festival in June.
The fights are really fun and funny but there's ultimately not enough variation for how many of them there are. It's really a series of duals movie, like Scott Pilgrim vs the World. Like that movie it would be better if they'd sacrificed different things in streamlining the source material.
Everyone I spoke to about it enjoyed it.

Lulubop

BotI is my favorite manga, this looks alright.

The dude they got playing Anotsu is really pretty, at least they got that right

Saw it at the Sydney Film Festival in June.
The fights are really fun and funny but there's ultimately not enough variation for how many of them there are. It's really a series of duals movie, like Scott Pilgrim vs the World. Like that movie it would be better if they'd sacrificed different things in streamlining the source material.
Everyone I spoke to about it enjoyed it.
I'll still buy tickets for it at our London Film Festival coming in October, but thanks for making me keep my expectations in check. 140min does sound a bit long, but that was the same length for 13 Assassins which I really liked.

Hastati

Woah! Looks awesome! I was wondering if they were gonna tone down the violence but I guess not LOL

Didn't realize he did 13 assassins, was skeptical about this adaptation but now I'm sold. Time to go back and finish reading the manga.

I didn't like the trailer. The MC got soooooo fucked up in the manga that I hope we very to see some of that. Probably not. This looks genetic, but the Manga is anything but.

Sanctuary

Just watched this film, and I absolutely loved it. I had already liked Miike since Ichi the Killer and Gozu, but 13 Assassins made me a fan. This film is basically a samurai power fantasy and kind of like a mix of 13 Assassins, Ninja Scroll and with a protagonist that is basically Wolverine. Fans of Nioh would probably love this.

The dude they got playing Anotsu is really pretty, at least they got that right

I don't normally think that when watching the seemingly androgynous anime characters in a lot of anime, but here I actually did. At first I thought he looked somewhat odd, but then later decided he was perfect.

cool to see all the positive response to this movie. I had kinda chucked it under yet another terrible live action manga movie. good to know it's at least decent.

Dunki

Just saw the trailer. Well this is a pretty strange role for Takuya Kimura but everything with him was pretty awesome so far. I am really interested in this one^^

Dacon

Banned

Yeah this looks kind of shitty. The tone is all wrong? It's too Miike.

A Blade of the Immortal movie should be more brooding and have really great cinematography and this just looks like pulpy violence.

Sanctuary

Yeah this looks kind of shitty. The tone is all wrong? It's too Miike.

A Blade of the Immortal movie should be more brooding and have really great cinematography and this just looks like pulpy violence.

I don't really care about the source material at all, although I can understand why it might be important to others. I just watched the movie for its own virtues, and it's funny that you mentioned cinematography. I thought it did an amazing job in that regard, and it also took advantage of colors like how many of the Wuxia films do. If you enjoyed 13 Assassin's, then you would know what to expect regarding cinematography and to a lesser extent violence. If you didn't care for that film, then you probably wouldn't enjoy this either. Plus, did you really expect a Miike film to be less Miike?

Top Bottom