• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Take Two CEO on VR: "Thankfully, we didn't waste any money on it. "

Klayzer

PSNow streaming never caught on mainstream at all... so yeah, it's a good example of what he's talking about.

Stadia is as well.. and xCloud is just now coming out of beta, we have no idea how popular it will be.

"Well companies are trying!" isn't an argument against what he's saying. They'd need to succeed. No one really has yet, at all.
Streaming isn't the sole focus of either Sony or Microsoft. Everything doesn't have to explode initially for it to succeed. There is a thing called laying the groundwork for future revenue.

It's neither the future, nor a gimmick. It's something that exists in parallel for providing a different kind of experience not suited for all games. Not many people have racing wheels either, but they're not going away any time soon.
Exactly, VR doesn't have to displace something else and something else doesn't have to displace VR.

It's a different experience, it's like a car relative to a motorcycle.

Well, one of the biggest publishers said that is a "waste of money". Go tell Zelnick that.
Well of course, if all you want is to sell expensive AAA games, then right now there isn't enough headset owners in the world to support your game. And the bigger the publisher, the less they care about AA gaming experiences. So it makes sense they would say that.

But if you interpret that as saying VR has no future... Then you never tried it.

turtlepowa

Banned
I like VR, but the problem is, it's not for the masses. I think the best selling VR was the PSVR and not even 5% of the PS4 owners got one even though it's cheap.

The real headline is the cloud gaming stuff.

Where exactly is the demand for this?
Supply Side.
Studios would love to rent out games rather than sell them. Studios want control over the content they make and the ability to take them away for any reason, forcing you to buy the sequel. Streaming is the holy grail of developers who want to make the worst possible product while gettin the maximum amount of money.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: GHG
I like VR, but the problem is, it's not for the masses. I think the best selling VR was the PSVR and not even 5% of the PS4 owners got one even though it's cheap.
Not in it's current form. VR is the 1982 equivalent of PCs, and we should all (hopefully) know what PCs were like back then. No GUI, no Internet, no Mouse. Most people thought they were useless; those who had them let them collect dust a lot of the time, and it was every so often that a magazine would call it a dying fad.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Streaming isn't the sole focus of either Sony or Microsoft. Everything doesn't have to explode initially for it to succeed. There is a thing called laying the groundwork for future revenue.
Of course?

No one said otherwise. You commented "I guess PSNow and xCloud don't have a real market according to him" and I was remarking that yeah.. they have no proven market.

But companies like Microsoft are the one's setting the high bar for what "success" looks like, claiming they'll reach 1 billion people with it.. it's quite feasible that it CANT succeed unless it actually blows up huge due to the economics of hosting the damn things.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
VR is as big a leap for gaming as 3D, it's a shame that people were and continue to be too close minded to see it.

Nah, it's just not accessible enough yet. It's still, relatively, a pain in the ass to set up. I think VR is awesome, but I still rarely use my Oculus Rift.

That's why I think there's so much potential in the Quest and other wireless VR setups.

Last edited by a moderator:

JCK75

I might take them seriously if they had not gone all in on Epic Games Store exclusivity.
I'd wager Half-Life Alyx made more money than any game they put on EGS.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Eh, he makes it sound like garbage, and honestly it's far from that. It's just full of tech demos and meh experiences. But Alyx shows what can really be done with the hardware. I honestly don't think Take Two ever had what it takes for a good VR title.

Pejo

Unfortunately it's pubs like him that will ensure that VR never really takes off. What drives platforms? Games. If you don't have games, you aren't going to sell that platform. Right now, there's a lot of indie support and "proof of concepts" and "tech demos", but very few fleshed out VR complete experiences. I was super excited when Valve released Half Life on VR, but even that wasn't enough by itself. It did sell quite a few VR units though. I'm really hopeful that we see Sony reinforce their support for VR this Weds at their event, so far they've been very quiet about VR support on PS5 and that worries me a bit.

Regardless of your thoughts about VR being a fad or gimmick, it certainly is the next evolution of gaming. It's just too expensive, viewed as too niche, and too constrictive with cables/wires/heavy units in its current iteration. When they can make a wireless set that's just pick up and play, it will be revolutionary. I don't understand how you can play games like Astro Bot, Superhot, Half Life: Alyx, etc and not think it's the future of gaming. Though, probably a lot of people that say its a gimmick have not played VR.

Three

Physically, I think it needs to be wireless. Every time I think about playing it, I just can't be arsed with the life-support-machine of tangled wires.
I believe that PS5s wifi 6 support is actually just futureproofing the console for wireless VR.

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
Everyone keeps saying "oh, it'd just too expensive", "the tech isn't there yet", or "everyone will buy it as a bundle", as reasons for the lack of mass appeal for the device.

The real question you have to answer if you want to sell this god forsaken machine is: "Why should anyone buy it?".
The Wii sold with a single sentence: " Wanna play Tennis or bowling? Just swing away". Simple, direct. Anyone can play tennis.
VR, on the othe hand? "Well, you see. You strap this microwave to your face and then use this totally-not-wiimotes to play rail shooters that are hardly better than House of the Dead on Dreamcast. Or you can play this cavalcade of game clones that are inferior to their PC and console counterparts. Oh, and you need a NASA supercomputer to play them. You can also buy the PSVR and store it in your closet gathering dust while Sony tries to figure out what to do with it."

Future of gaming indeed.

Last edited:

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I had to have the Vive 1.0 after trying it out.

When you first try it out you really feel that it's the future of gaming. Starting up "The Lab" was probably the most mind blowing gaming experience for me since I was a kid. The problem is that after you really dig into it that you realize that the substance isn't really quite there yet.

Also the wires are annoying, it's blurry so you feel kinda like you're wearing the wrong prescription of glasses, and the heavy headset makes the platform really uncomfortable to use for more than an hour at a time.

VR could really use some upgrades like omni-directional treadmills at a mass market price, "finger gloves" that let you articulate your entire hand in VR, and improved FOV. All of those things are probably many years away though.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It is the future of gaming. But they’re also right to avoid it. Shit like this is going to take a LONG time. I bet we won’t see its full potential for a solid decade or more.

Or they could have invested in it to make the VR space better. But why would I expect a money-hungry company like Take-Two to actually care about gaming?

Romulus

/thread, just another CEO that doesn't even know what's going on around him.

Take two owns Rockstar. Rockstar has already released an exclusive VR game years ago, and now they're hiring for a VR AAA game. Lol Thread is garbage bait.

Last edited:
Everyone keeps saying "oh, it'd just too expensive", "the tech isn't there yet", or "everyone will buy it as a bundle", as reasons for the lack of mass appeal for the device.

The real question you have to answer if you want to sell this god forsaken machine is: "Why should anyone buy it?".
The Wii sold with a single sentence: " Wanna play Tennis or bowling? Just swing away". Simple, direct. Anyone can play tennis.
VR, on the othe hand? "Well, you see. You strap this microwave to your face and then use this totally-not-wiimotes to play rail shooters that are hardly better than House of the Dead on Dreamcast. Or you can play this cavalcade of game clones that are inferior to their PC and console counterparts. Oh, and you need a NASA supercomputer to play them. You can also buy the PSVR and store it in your closet gathering dust while Sony tries to figure out what to do with it."

Future of gaming indeed.
You know what the word 'future' means right? We're not going to use motion controls in 10 years or so; haptic gloves will be the new standard, and lets not pretend that these controllers are anything like a Wii mote today anyway.

If Half-Life: Alyx, Medal of Honor, and Stormland are rail shooters, then Red Dead Redemption 2 is just a duelling simulator.
Most VR ports are preferred in VR; that's the consensus; not my individual take. RE7, Wipeout, Tetris Effect, Rez Infinite, Hellblade, Alien Isolation, Dreams, Elite Dangerous, not to mention the upcoming MS Flight Simulator - VR is the better way to play even on 1st gen headsets.

Since when do you need a NASA supercomputer? Most Steam users can run Half-Life: Alyx, and VR optimization will only progress leaps and bounds with foveated rendering in several years.

Clueless, indeed.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
When I reached out to brace myself on a bench in Super Hot VR and fell over because it wasn’t really there, I did not think to myself “what a gimmick!”

When I looked around at the scale of City 17 in HL Alyx I did not think to myself “fad!”

VR is legit and here to stay, even if it never overtakes flat TV gaming, which I don’t want to go away either. It’s still the most immersive experience and has been shown to be perfectly suitable for AAA titles.

acm2000

VR in his headset form will never be the main stream form of gaming, myself and most gamers dont want to have to wear a headset to play games, i already wear glasses and thats enough, well not till we can inject that shit straight into our brains thanks to elon.

VR in his headset form will never be the main stream form of gaming, myself and most gamers dont want to have to wear a headset to play games, i already wear glasses and thats enough, well not till we can inject that shit straight into our brains thanks to elon.
VR/AR glasses will replace regular glasses. Problem solved.

People need to stop with brain interface nonsense.

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
As someone with severe motion sickness and labyrinthitis I avoid it like the plague. However, I like the racing wheel comparison. It's a niche that will always exist. Not for everyone and will never become the norm.

Thank God Sony will be pushing VR in ps5. As tech gets better, it'll be more viable, cheaper and eventually it'll catch to mainstream. People thought same shit about streaming shows aka Netflix and look at all those services now. Nintendo for years tried to diminish online games importance and look at us now "thnks Sega, Microsoft and later Sony).

acm2000

VR/AR glasses will replace regular glasses. Problem solved.

People need to stop with brain interface nonsense.

the screens need to be enclosed around your face to stop light and outside world for the immersion, vr glasses arent going to work the same.

Last edited:

Shmunter

the screens need to be enclosed around your face to stop light, vr glasses arent going to work the same.
Not really. I took my PSVR shield off to prevent sweating. With vr you focus out into the distance, you soon forget the periphery. It may not be as ideal being in a ‘dark room’ but it’s not even close to being a show stopper.

As someone with severe motion sickness and labyrinthitis I avoid it like the plague. However, I like the racing wheel comparison. It's a niche that will always exist. Not for everyone and will never become the norm.
A racing wheel is a single use gaming peripheral. VR is an entire medium and computing platform. It's like comparing PCs or phones to racing wheels; it doesn't work.

Your sickness issues are going to be fundamentally solved, because they are a result of one or more of these: latency mismatch, IPD mismatch, sensory mismatch, vergence accomadation conflict.

- An IPD mismatch is already fixable today if you set it up right on a headset that supports physical IPD.
- Latency mismatch is simply about getting higher refresh rates so it's universally fixable.
- Sensory mismatch is the hard one. It can be completely avoided with the right comfort settings so even today it's avoidable - in the future reduced latency and movement-synced haptics will drastically reduce this without applying comfort options.
- The vergence accomadation conflict has already been fixed in a multitude of prototype headsets and stands to be a consumer ready fix in 3-5 years.

Last edited:

Klayzer

Or they could have invested in it to make the VR space better. But why would I expect a money-hungry company like Take-Two to actually care about gaming?
Never ever take what a CEO of a big publisher says without a big glass of WTF? juice. They almost always are going to at best misinform you, and at wost straight out lie.

Plus, have you seen the revenue/profits Take 2 is bringing in. Hell why would you care about VR/Streaming when you have a virtual ATM machine named GTA5.

acm2000

Not really. I took my PSVR shield off to prevent sweating. With vr you focus out into the distance, you soon forget the periphery. It may not be as ideal being in a ‘dark room’ but it’s not even close to being a show stopper.

it really is, theres a reason why vr headsets fit so tight to your face to stop light bleed and stop the screens wobbling in front of your eyes, unless you want to throw up all over your wife/husband/dog/cat

the screens need to be enclosed around your face to stop light and outside world for the immersion, vr glasses arent going to work the same.
You can have an quick side insert to fix this.

Or you can just stick with a VR-centric device that has varifocal, light-field, or holographic displays. This will eliminate the need to wear glasses as the headset will act the same as your glasses and do the vision correction for you instead.

Last edited:

Romulus

Pretty interesting to see how VR troll threads backfire now. That alone shows the shift of opinion. 2 years ago, half this board was slamming VR. Things are changing.

Thanks for proving it troll.

Last edited:

martino

VR is as big a leap for gaming as 3D, it's a shame that people were and continue to be too close minded to see it.
why would i ?
it's immersive if you like fps and fps is not what i prefer.
it would adds near nothing to all gaming stuff/genre i like
VR can exist and be succesfull but imo because of people like me (i don't think i'm alone and a minority) it will not become the only way to play games.

why would i ?
VR can exist and be succesfull but imo because of people like me (i don't think i'm alone and a minority) it will not become the only way to play games.
VR works for all game genres. It can improve even 3rd person or top down games and be a more immersive way to play.

I know I'd love to play RDR2, God of War, Horizon Forbidden West, Ratchet and Clank PS5 in VR.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
why would i ?

I am not sure what games you like, but FPS is far from the only genre. Even Tetris is awesome in VR.

Shmunter

it really is, theres a reason why vr headsets fit so tight to your face to stop light bleed and stop the screens wobbling in front of your eyes, unless you want to throw up all over your wife/husband/dog/cat
Wobbling in front of your eyes? No sure what your referencing.

Four others I know personally with psvr took of shielding and never looked back. The airflow, no fog or sweat is a monumental plus for long sessions of vr. I recommend it to all PSVR users, and if playing at night in the dark it’s even less of a concern.

No surprise this is coming from Take Two, those bastards stopped doing anything not purely involving the least effort for maximum return, many years ago.

They only create games that are addictive first, and fun maybe.

ABnormal

why would i ?

That's just ignorance on the subject. VR is exceptionally good on third person gamer. racing, puzzle, rts, board games, and can even do things that are impossible to be done otherwise.

Unless you suffer from motion sickness, if you try a (good) game in VR, there's simply no turning back. And you start to wish for dedicated big projects on it.

And nobody thinks that "it will become the only way to play". Please enough of that shit.

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
Majority of games we play now, and that are the most popular on the market, aren't made for vr and wouldn't work in vr either. I mean who wants to play third person action games like god of war etc. in vr? VR will be a niche for decades.

Last edited:
Majority of games we play now, and that are the most popular on the market, aren't made for vr and wouldn't work in vr either. I mean who wants to play third person action games like god of war etc. in vr? VR will be a niche for decades.
I just said I would, and I think most people would as well - with a mature form of VR.

Besides, one of the most popular games in the world - Fortnite, is intended to fully transition into VR.

lock2k

Banned
A racing wheel is a single use gaming peripheral. VR is an entire medium and computing platform. It's like comparing PCs or phones to racing wheels; it doesn't work.

Your sickness issues are going to be fundamentally solved, because they are a result of one or more of these: latency mismatch, IPD mismatch, sensory mismatch, vergence accomadation conflict.

- An IPD mismatch is already fixable today if you set it up right on a headset that supports physical IPD.
- Latency mismatch is simply about getting higher refresh rates so it's universally fixable.
- Sensory mismatch is the hard one. It can be completely avoided with the right comfort settings so even today it's avoidable - in the future reduced latency and movement-synced haptics will drastically reduce this without applying comfort options.
- The vergence accomadation conflict has already been fixed in a multitude of prototype headsets and stands to be a consumer ready fix in 3-5 years.

I don't know, I get sick with the most basic thing. Like watching someone playing a racing game that I ain't controlling can get me nauseous in minutes. And riding any kind of vehicle as a passenger is a burden. That's why I always drive. lol

Tranquil

The last thing I want to do when I get home from a hards day of work at night is to strap on a headset and move around and get motion sickness. And this is coming from someone who bought the Oculus Rift day one.

It's an amazing experience in short bursts now and again. That's about it.

Yep, I have a Rift and had a PSVR. I really wanted to like VR but it's far too cumbersome to wear for long periods of time.

Top Bottom