• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick talks about the PS5/PC.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://www.dualshockers.com/take-two-ps5-pc/

During Take-Two’s financial conference call for the fiscal year ended on March 31st, Chief Executive Officer Strauss Zelnick was asked to talk about the company’s outlook in relation to a potential release of a new PlayStation console by Sony in 2020.

Zelnick mentioned that while he doesn’t have any ability to comment on the plans of another company (in this case Sony Interactive Entertainment), he believes that Take-Two has navigated transitions in console cycles pretty well so far, and they’re really proud of that.

Historically, during a transition period, the challenges can be very significant, but Take-Two has managed to get around them by having its labels create “the highest quality properties that defy proper behavior in console transition periods.”

Zelnick remembers that during the transition between PS3 and PS4 there was a lot of noise in the marketplace about the challenges for older games. On the other hand, Take-two wasn’t challenged in the least by this. They did “exceedingly well” because the quality of their catalog was so high.

He continued by mentioning that having a “limited number of the highest quality releases” and having games that tend to do well as catalog titles (IE: they sell well a while after release), transition periods create less risk for Take-Two. Due to the fact that the games itself are very high quality, they can continue to perform well as new platforms are released.

As an example, Grand Theft Auto V was developed for the previous generation, and yet “it remains the standard bearer for this generation,” which according to Zelnick is “extraordinary” and something that the publisher is “grateful to Rockstar for and incredibly proud of.”

Zelnick went on to say that in the event of the release of new platforms, the publisher will decide what to support based on its views of potential success, but he also observed that the PC platform has become “a very, very important” part of what the company does, driven by digital distribution. That wasn’t the case for console titles ten years ago, but it is the case now.

Zelnick concluded by explaining that the industry isn’t platform-agnostic yet, but he believes that it’s going to happen in the future.

“Does that mean that the business is flattening out, everything becomes open, and we don’t care what brand is on the box? Not in the least. I wouldn’t rule out the possibility of more generations. However, it does get us closer to a point where we truly can be platform-agnostic as an industry. I would say that we’re not there yet, but that day will come.”​

Shin

Banned
Dodging the bullet like a pro, not surprised and is to be expected.
They banking hard on the PC with GTA Online, I wonder if they make the most on the PC since it's not the case for most AAA games when there's a console version.

Source: various financial results from various companies...

Aintitcool

Banned
Gta 5 success is a real phenomenon and its to thank for the continued trust between take two and rockstar north.

Red Dead on PC is a given at this point. GTA5 on PC was a huge success. GTA4 on PC at the time was horrible and unstable. A PC version of the original red dead was out of the cards. Especially since every developer had a horrible time creating that game. The stage is set completely differently for REDDEAD 2. I think the only reason it's not going to be day and date on PC is because they will probably enhance the PC version like they did for GTA5 in a years time to make it more marketable. True 4k assets and ect.

THE:MILKMAN

Honestly the actual question and reply tells us nothing new and Take-Two wouldn't say anything even if they do know anything.

Mike Hickey

Hey guys, thanks for taking my question, congrats on another strong quarter. Curious still I guess a bit far away here, but there has been some speculation that may have a new console from play station in 2020 obviously that’s now something that you can talk to, but think anyway but I am just curious sort of your perspective on what it means to sort to have still sort of a consoles cycle type opportunity or challenge.

And also wondering how you release GTA 5 at the end of the prior cycle and were obviously very strategic and optimistic to release the current Gen shortly thereafter. So, how you think about that sort of strategic opportunity potentially comings into maybe a new play station box in 2020? Thanks guys.

Strauss Zelnick

Well thanks, Mike. Always nice to hear from you. As you'd imagine, I think you know this already we don't -- we wouldn't have any ability to comment on another company's plans. You’ll ask them about that. I think we've navigated transitions and consoles and console releases and other platform releases pretty well around here since we showed up roughly 11 years ago. We're actually really proud of that, because historically as you know during a transition period, the challenges can be very significant if you bet wrong in terms of what you're up to whether that’s supporting something new or supporting something old.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
So do you guys still think GTA VI is booked for this gen?

When I look at the sales of GTA: V they really maximized sales by being a cross gen game. A lot of double dippers in those sales.

My theory is they look at that and thought "lets do that again". So I think you will see it released at the end of this gen and then released on next gen consoles a year or so later.

Last edited:

Breakage

When I look at the sales of GTA: V they really maximized sales by being a cross gen game. A lot of double dippers in those sales.

My theory is they look at that and thought "lets do that again". So I think you will see it released at the end of this gen and then released on next gen consoles a year or so later.
Yeah, I agree - the userbase is just too big to ignore.

Breakage

Yeah I think this too. Was it a simultaneous release for both PS3/4 when V came out?
Nah, the current gen version was released in November 2014 – just over a year after the original September 2013 last gen release date. The PC version came out in April 2015 – five months after the current gen version.

Nope, you have a greater chance of Agent releasing than a new GTA this gen.
Why are you so sure? I don't know how many people they have working on what project, but it seems to me it would make sense to do as others have said: to release the game on current gen in 2020 and then a next gen version in 2021 to maximize sales.

bitbydeath

Why are you so sure? I don't know how many people they have working on what project, but it seems to me it would make sense to do as others have said: to release the game on current gen in 2020 and then a next gen version in 2021 to maximize sales.

Agent has at least actually been in known development before.
Both GTA and Red Dead are massive undertakings which will require most of Rockstars studios effort.
We know it previously took 3 years between titles of Red Dead 1 and GTAV, 3 years from now will be 2021 and that's if they can even make the same date considering this gen we've only seen two remasters from them GTAV and La Noire.

Red Dead 2 appears to have the main focus right now for Rockstar, next gen could drop as early as next year which doesn't give much time for GTAVI to take retake the focus.

Agent has at least actually been in known development before.
Both GTA and Red Dead are massive undertakings which will require most of Rockstars studios effort.
We know it previously took 3 years between titles of Red Dead 1 and GTAV, 3 years from now will be 2021 and that's if they can even make the same date considering this gen we've only seen two remasters from them GTAV and La Noire.

Red Dead 2 appears to have the main focus right now for Rockstar, next gen could drop as early as next year which doesn't give much time for GTAVI to take retake the focus.
But, how do you know they haven't started working on GTA VI yet? It's been almost 5 years since GTA V launched. GTA is their biggest iP.

I am not saying I don't believe you. I already read in some other places that they are 100% with red dead and didn't start with GTA VI. But I don't know where does that information come from? Why are you all so sure?

It just seems so illogical to me that Rockstar would let a whole generation go through without releasing a main GTA title...

I still can't imagine a franchise like GTA missing a whole generation. I would bet on 2020 release, right at the end, like last gen.

R* will finnish with RDR in a few months and then all its studios will focus on GTA6 for next 2-3 years.

Last edited:

Breakage

No way, no how.
GTA V is, after all, an enhanced port; technically, Rockstar hasn't made a current gen GTA game yet. PS4 + XBO userbase is a 100m at least. That's hard to ignore. If they go next gen, Rockstar will have to wait for the user base to grow again (which could take time because of pricing, hardware issues etc.) and as they wait, the game slowly loses its "brand new" lustre. Release on current gen consoles and the sales will be rapid because everyone's already got the hardware – allowing Rockstar to really capitalise on the new release momentum.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I still can't imagine a franchise like GTA missing a whole generation. I would bet on 2020 release, right at the end, like last gen.

R* will finnish with RDR in a few months and then all its studios will focus on GTA6 for next 2-3 years.
GTA V is, after all, an enhanced port; technically, Rockstar hasn't made a current gen GTA game yet. PS4 + XBO userbase is a 100m at least. That's hard to ignore. If they go next gen, Rockstar will have to wait for the user base to grow again (which could take time because of pricing, hardware issues etc.) and as they wait, the game slowly loses its "brand new" lustre. Release on current gen consoles and the sales will be rapid because everyone's already got the hardware – allowing Rockstar to really capitalise on the new release momentum.

I agree with you guys in spirit, but maaaaaaan. It feels like they've been making Red Dead 2 forever. Maybe they were upgrading their engine and now they can make games every 2 years or something. In that case I can see GTA6 coming out in 2020.

Breakage

I agree with you guys in spirit, but maaaaaaan. It feels like they've been making Red Dead 2 forever. Maybe they were upgrading their engine and now they can make games every 2 years or something. In that case I can see GTA6 coming out in 2020.
Yeah, I think they will drop it at the tail-end of this gen. GTA V was released two months before PS4 launched. That proves a new GTA entry will do big numbers, even when next-gen is literally months away.

Do people actually care for Zelnick's opinion on gaming matters? Rockstar titles are sold in abundance due to the passion of the developers, that's the answer in it's most basic form. Last we need is a clueless CEO thowing out analytical data and acting as though he's aware of the product fans love so much. And to add insult to injury, he doesn't even participate in what he claims to be so proud of.

bitbydeath

But, how do you know they haven't started working on GTA VI yet? It's been almost 5 years since GTA V launched. GTA is their biggest iP.

I am not saying I don't believe you. I already read in some other places that they are 100% with red dead and didn't start with GTA VI. But I don't know where does that information come from? Why are you all so sure?

It just seems so illogical to me that Rockstar would let a whole generation go through without releasing a main GTA title...

Well I don’t, I just can’t see them dropping GTAVI out of nowhere in 12 or 24 months time.

GTA 6 holiday 2019 or March 2020 on current gen.
hol 2020 for next gen
mid 2021 for PC.

That way they can potentially triple the sales of one game due to double/triple dippers.

Who here bought GTA V for last gen and this gen?

All companies will do this. The HD remasters were sold a shit load for almost no extra work. Expect a flood of 4k remasters next gen.

FranXico

No idea. But I still think GTA6 will launch on current gen. It takes years to build up millions of users. Rockstar would be crazy to make it a next gen exclusive.
Especially with both MS and Sony providing BC, which ensures that the current userbase can transition to next-gen and keep playing the same online component there.

TeamGhobad

Banned
So do you guys still think GTA VI is booked for this gen?

The leaks say no, but profits say yes. but it all depends on when its released. if no expect a release earliest in 2023 when the install base is big enough.
but i wouldn't be surprised it comes out in 2020 and its crossgen.

Breakage

Especially with both MS and Sony providing BC, which ensures that the current userbase can transition to next-gen and keep playing the same online component there.
The leaks say no, but profits say yes. but it all depends on when its released. if no expect a release earliest in 2023 when the install base is big enough.
but i wouldn't be surprised it comes out in 2020 and its crossgen.
One game [GTA V] has sold almost 110 million units. And that game arrived at the tail-end of last gen. I reckon Rockstar will be looking to repeat the same strategy. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
It's more likely they would just release it simultaeneously on current and next gen consoles. It's not like 100 million gamers are buying into the new gen right away.

Illogical from a business perspective but not from a developer's perspective. GTA VIce will come out in 2023/2024 depending on how long the polishing stage of the development takes and Rockstar are notorious perfectionists.

thelastword

Banned
GTAV still looks amazing being rooted in PS3/360 development....GTAVI will therefore look insane with next gen specs as a base.......

Top Bottom