• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Take-Two owner Strauss Zelnick argues players ‘are ready for $70 games’

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Speaking during the Morgan Stanley Technology, Media & Telecom Conference this week (transcribed by VGC), Take-Two boss Strauss Zelnick was asked for his views on the reaction to NBA 2K21’s price point and what it means for game prices in the future.

“We announced a $70 price point for NBA 2K21, our view was that we’re offering an array of extraordinary experiences, lots of replayability, and the last time there was a frontline price increase in the US was 2005, 2006, so we think consumers were ready for it,” Zelnick replied.

He did stop short, however, of suggesting that future games will cost $70 going forwards, instead suggesting that the company needs to focus on providing a level of content that justifies that price point.

“We haven’t said anything about pricing other titles so far, and we tend to make announcements on a title-by-title basis, but I think our view is [that we want to] always deliver more value than what we charge, make sure the consumer has the experience and[…] the experience of paying for it, both are positive experiences,” he explained.

“We all know anecdotally that even if you love a consumer experience, if you feel you were overcharged for it, it ruins the experience, you don’t want to have it again. [If you] go to a great restaurant, a really really fine restaurant, have a great meal and great service, then you get a check that’s double what you think it should be, you’re never going back.”

He added: “So we always want to make sure that consumers feel like we deliver much more than we ask in return, and that’s true for our current consumer spending as well. We’re an entertainment company, we’re here to captivate and engage consumers, and if we do that then monetisation follows.”

Cravis

I Didnt Desus And Mero GIF by Bernie Sanders

noise36

Its already happening in Australia Sony are charging $125 for games and even at third party retailers around $100 for physical (ratchet/ demons souls etc), previously we would have paid around $69-$79 at launch. Its part of the reason my ps5 gathers dust.

Last edited:
We think gamers are ready for $70, but we are only announcing this for NBA 2K21 because we are not actually sure if gamers are ready for $70 games.

Fuck off with this cash grab. You getting digital sales and now you want even more, lmao.

Impotaku

I know what i'm ready for. Games been released in a fucking finished state then we can maybe talk about charging more for them when publishers have that first issue delt with.

$70 games they monetize as if they were free-to-play.
TQL4.gif
The irony is that if they'd just increased the base price to $70 a decade ago citing "inflation" instead of nickle and diming us with a million different editions and microtransactions out of the arse I doubt anyone would've batted an eye.

bender

What time is it?
The irony is that if they'd just increased the base price to $70 a decade ago citing "inflation" instead of nickle and diming us with a million different editions and microtransactions out of the arse I doubt anyone would've batted an eye.

Post sale monetization was coming no matter the price though. I'm just glad that most of the publishers and games that are the most egregious are easy for me to ignore.

Concern

Good luck with that.

Haven't bought a new game day one since Modern Warfare 2019. And its only because of gamesharing, so it was only $30. :messenger_beaming:

Gameshare OP, gonna end up paying $35 instead of $30 and it only counts as one sale for Take-Two.

*for any future good games. I'll pass on NBA games.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I have seen lots here defend the price hike, so it seems he might be right that some gamers are ready for it.

The rest of us will get drug along begrudgingly or wait for deep discounts, which will take longer because we need deeper cuts to equal the same price as now.

zombrex

Of course they are. We already have higher priced special editions with minimal digital benefits.
Most people are also willing to pay more to have a product sooner. if you don't need it ASAP then wait for a price drop. Games offer massive value for money for the amount of hours of entertainment you can get from them. If you play a game for hundreds or even thousands of hours then complaining about $10 price increase is pretty pathetic.

Last edited:

greencoder

I almost never buy games at full price because I have a backlog and like to wait for all the patches and DLCs. But I don't understand people whose main hobby is gaming and they whine about the $70 games. How many AAA games do you buy at launch/at full price? Pretty sure no more than 10, so 10 * 10 = $100, that's somehow the big amount of money for your main hobby.

*Relevant only for the 1st world countries.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
His company's playerbase grew up on standardized PS2 game prices. Those people who grew up on GTA 3 and up aren't used to the super high game prices of SNES gen and earlier so they can't relate.

He's talking to the wrong audience.

Dunki

Back on SNES Age I bought 180 DMark games because this is what they actually did cost in Germany. Thats basically 90 Euro so 107$^^

Banjo64

cumsessed
$70 dollars for 2/3 of a game with DLC and MTX is the new norm, but you’re a fucking sucker if you pay it instead of waiting 2 months for a hefty discount.

Barakov

Gold Member

Speaking during the Morgan Stanley Technology, Media & Telecom Conference this week (transcribed by VGC), Take-Two boss Strauss Zelnick was asked for his views on the reaction to NBA 2K21’s price point and what it means for game prices in the future.

“We announced a $70 price point for NBA 2K21, our view was that we’re offering an array of extraordinary experiences, lots of replayability, and the last time there was a frontline price increase in the US was 2005, 2006, so we think consumers were ready for it,” Zelnick replied.

He did stop short, however, of suggesting that future games will cost $70 going forwards, instead suggesting that the company needs to focus on providing a level of content that justifies that price point.

“We haven’t said anything about pricing other titles so far, and we tend to make announcements on a title-by-title basis, but I think our view is [that we want to] always deliver more value than what we charge, make sure the consumer has the experience and[…] the experience of paying for it, both are positive experiences,” he explained.

“We all know anecdotally that even if you love a consumer experience, if you feel you were overcharged for it, it ruins the experience, you don’t want to have it again. [If you] go to a great restaurant, a really really fine restaurant, have a great meal and great service, then you get a check that’s double what you think it should be, you’re never going back.”

He added: “So we always want to make sure that consumers feel like we deliver much more than we ask in return, and that’s true for our current consumer spending as well. We’re an entertainment company, we’re here to captivate and engage consumers, and if we do that then monetisation follows.”
Captain America Laughing GIF by mtv

longdi

Banned
$70 USD imo is simply too rich for a single game. Even if it is a big blockbuster release, i wont be buying day 1. It just seems too spendthrifty.

Soodanim

Gold Member
It’s a mystery why people are cynical and distrusting. I haven’t looked at the public financial statements for Take Two, but I guarantee they’re doing well.

The worst bit? People will pay it, and that’s what he’s really saying.

Old Empire.

Strength of game pass says otherwise. More people will pay 12 dollar subscription each month to play new games.

Microsoft model makes more sense, they just need to stop the loopholes where gamers will exploit it.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

Está pendejo.

What a dumb guy.... So give me money then

Last edited:
Its going to be a sad day in gaming history once these companies manage to successfully indoctrinate the vast majority of gamers into spending 70$ on games which are in all likelihood unfinished, incomplete, microtransaction-riddled, and, in some cases, remade. I mean, they're half way there already.

I won't be a part of it anyway so this is just pure entertainment.

Top Bottom