• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Take-Two owner Strauss Zelnick argues players ‘are ready for $70 games’

Arkam

Hey Strauss, I’ll pay $70/game all day long and like it.... if you focus on making (new) single player games and let the GaaS cash cow rest a for a few years.

fermcr

Nop ... gamers are ready for $200 games.

ffff78bc6e176fc1e38279f2b509eb71.jpeg

I'll just wait to purchase them when on sale for $25

Last edited:

Keihart

Never happening.

And honestly, they are going to get the money they want one way or another.

I told people whinging about season passes over a decade ago what would happen if they want away, they'd just change tack to get the same revenue by other means.
Same right now with loot boxes, you think minimizing them is going to magically get a better deal? LOL.

You don't fix a problem by dealing with the symptom. And right here, right now, the problem is that games cost a fortune to make.

So unless some mega-genius out there wants to provide a method of making modern games for the same sort of outlay that they were made 20-30 years ago, you need to get used to the idea of paying more as production costs increase.
I highly doubt that dev costs are the real problem, the big budget games are targeted at big audiences and the most derivative ones never fail to make bank. I think it's just a problem born of so many of this companies being publicly owned, investors get greedy with time and it's not enough that they are making a return, they want a bigger return as that other company that is more successful, thus the pressure trickles down.

Quasicat

A buddy and I were talking about this last evening. I told him how much I liked Red Dead Redemption II on the Series X and he told me to just wait for the free upgrade like a lot of other companies have done. I told him that GTA V was full price on PS4/X1 and expect it to be another full price upgrade. He doesn’t agree. Has Rockstar games given a price on GTA V for PS5/Series X?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The sheep are ready.

Porsche makes a better car than Ford.

They also charge (a lot) more than Ford.

If you don't want to spend 80k on a Porsche, buy a Ford.

Gamers are tied to "It's always been this way therefore any change is evil" thing.

Miles708

Gamers are tied to "It's always been this way therefore any change is evil" thing.

So we're not gonna talk about GAAS, DLCs, season passes, seasons of DLCs, and in general leaving out content to drip-feed afterwards?
You can't raise prices and sell tons of pieces for an extra and still expect people to be happy.

Also, they try this stunt every generation change and the market is still thriving without it. If they succeed now, it's because of our stupidity, certainly not out of market necessity.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned

That's the stupidest argument I've ever read on this forum.

CONGRATULATIONS, here's your prize
91xTRb9Q2tL._SR500,500_.jpg

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
So we're not gonna talk about GAAS, DLCs, season passes, seasons of DLCs, and in general leaving out content to drip-feed afterwards?
You can't raise prices and sell tons of pieces for an extra and still expect people to be happy.

Also, they try this stunt every generation change and the market is still thriving without it. If they succeed now, it's because of our stupidity, certainly not out of market necessity.

We're not going to talk about trim models on cars? Gas? Upkeep? Insurance?

The car market is more interesting because Ferrari, Porsche, Tesla etc are in it.

Consumers need to look at products, look at the cost of said product, and make a valuation.

Melting down over 10 extra dollars is lame. Games today are exponentially better than games from 20-30 years ago. A slight price hike is fine.

theclaw135

Banned
There shouldn't be a ceiling price on games.

Charge what your product can get.

If everything is priced like a Toyota Camry we're not going to get a Ferrari.

I'll admit I agree developers who go the extra mile to make luxury experiences should be rewarded.
In the rare event a game has extraordinary production values, above and beyond everybody else, it's not right for the market to force chopping it up to permit a $60 base release.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I'll admit I agree developers who go the extra mile to make luxury experiences should be rewarded.
In the rare event a game has extraordinary production values, above and beyond everybody else, it's not right for the market to force chopping it up to permit a $60 base release.

I'm not concerned about production values.

My singular concern is fun.

I valued this:

694623633f9a753619b0b2301595cd5296a271a7a25.jpg

More than this:

Production values exist in service of finding the fun. Pay for the fun.

Last edited:

theclaw135

Banned
I'm not concerned about production values.

My singular concern is fun.

I valued this:

694623633f9a753619b0b2301595cd5296a271a7a25.jpg

More than this:

Production values exist in service of finding the fun. Pay for the fun.

That doesn't mean luxury products shouldn't exist. I don't shout down my local realtor for checking my credit score, then refusing to sell me the Taj Mahal.

Braag

It will most likely just drive more people to wait for sale.
This wont obviously stop publishers to cram their games full of mtx.

theclaw135

Banned
Yokai Watch 3 is the red flag for the course of the next decade that slipped past everybody.
If anything in gaming can be labeled 'anti-consumer', its pitiful physical run topped the charts of brazenly getting away with it.

Last edited:
Question to all the people hating on him and crying about world being in crisis - have you guys actually tried buying anything recently ? The electronic entertainment is undergoing unproceeded never seen before demand due to lockdowns and travel restrictions. To put it simply there's lots of people who have unspent income and not much to do with it since most stuff is still closed.

We can dislike it all we want but they are the ones with access to sales data and market reasearch and know customer habbits better than most of us.

Miles708

We're not going to talk about trim models on cars? Gas? Upkeep? Insurance?

The car market is more interesting because Ferrari, Porsche, Tesla etc are in it.

Consumers need to look at products, look at the cost of said product, and make a valuation.

Melting down over 10 extra dollars is lame. Games today are exponentially better than games from 20-30 years ago. A slight price hike is fine.

While i understand your car comparison, I still believe it's not very appropriate. We're always talking about a piece of entertainment here , not a car nor another "useful" good.
Not to mention a car has costs mainly to keep it running in perfect working order (and avoiding it becoming a dangerous metal killing machine), whereas a game it's... well, it's a game.

10$/€ increase is dangerous because publishers are not good nor considerate, and a price hike could only lead to more price increases, as it has been the case with dlc and all other funny online content.

Also, I repeat, the market has never been in a better shape. There are more gamers than ever, there are more GAMES than ever, and a price increase will only be out of gluttony, not as a necessity from multi-billion worth companies.

Publishers think people are "ready for it" simply because they think, or they know, they can now get away with it.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
While i understand your car comparison, I still believe it's not very appropriate. We're always talking about a piece of entertainment here , not a car nor another "useful" good.
Not to mention a car has costs mainly to keep it running in perfect working order (and avoiding it becoming a dangerous metal killing machine), whereas a game it's... well, it's a game.

10$/€ increase is dangerous because publishers are not good nor considerate, and a price hike could only lead to more price increases, as it has been the case with dlc and all other funny online content.

Also, I repeat, the market has never been in a better shape. There are more gamers than ever, there are more GAMES than ever, and a price increase will only be out of gluttony, not as a necessity from multi-billion worth companies.

Publishers think people are "ready for it" simply because they think, or they know, they can now get away with it.

Ok, then ice cream.

There's Ben and Jerry's and a whole bunch of cheap, inferior stuff.

Ice cream isn't "useful" either.

Build something and charge what you think you can get for it. Forcing a $60 dollar limit on entertainment is un-American.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
So PlayStation fans blame Microsoft for having to pay for multiplayer games, is it now ok to blame Sony for the price increase in games then?

Fbh

I don't think he is wrong.
People that are currently buying $60 games often will probably just pay $70. And people who generally wait for sales will continue to do so.

To me it just means more reason to stick with PC. Console games are more expensive than ever while PC games are cheaper than ever thank to regional pricing (and third party key resellers) and options like Gamepass.

Miles708

Ok, then ice cream.

There's Ben and Jerry's and a whole bunch of cheap, inferior stuff.

Ice cream isn't "useful" either.

Build something and charge what you think you can get for it. Forcing a $60 dollar limit on entertainment is un-American.
I'm not really sure how or why policies must go towards billionaire companies, who really want to increase prices because "you're ready for it" even while registering record-breaking profits for years now (and avoiding paying taxes in USA using tax heavens and legislative loopholes, but that's another problem)

Saying this is un-american doesn't really mean anything.

Top Bottom