• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Take-Two registers 2KGolfLinks.com

simpsons.jpg

So this would compete with EA's golf series w/ Tiger? I had a friend in college who really dog the golf games on his PS3. Has the market grown that much in recent years?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Generational shift is usually the best opportunity for bringing something back.

This is also why we have like 5+ racing games this Fall despite that not being as healthy as it used to be.

Man, its going to be brutal to watch 3-4 of those bomb hard.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I miss Links on the PC. Those were the days.

bud23

They tried to register, for the first time, the "LINKS" trademark in March 2011. They failed to complete succesfully the patent registration (dunno exactly why), so a second attempt was made in June last year.

For the patent registration they are using the same law firm (FISH & RICHARDSON) that they utilize for the big brands ;GTA,GTA V,RDR...

This LINKS must be a thing. Maybe a demonstration of the new Rockstar engine like Table tennis was.

BD1

Banned
I'm telling you there is a gold mine in ripping off the golf concept from the E3'11 Wii U sizzle reel. And you could poach it to PS4 with a move/vita combo.

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
2K doesn't need to make a golf game. What 2K NEEDS to make is another fucking College Basketball game...

The last I read, Take-Two Interactive still owns the rights to what was to be Links 2007, on the XBox 360. I'd heard that Links 2007 had gotten pretty far along in development before Take-Two killed the project. Maybe this will be a belated (and hopefully updated) release of it? I'd sure love to see it; Links 2004 was way ahead of its time.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Having another non-Tiger golf game would be awesome. I absolutely prefer the Hot Shots type game, but I recall being really fond of Links on the Xbox.

This would be an opportune time for Take-Two to cash in on the rights they already own to Links 2007. There won't be another Tiger Woods golf game to compete with them until March of 2015, Tiger Woods 14 has been a commercial flop, and they already have what is probably a fairly complete, solid game engine, courtesy of what they acquired from Indie-Built in 2006. It wouldn't take a lot of work to gussy it up to 2013 standards.

Remember how rich the online gameplay experience was with Links 2004, on the XBox? It had great head-to-head play, and customizable, user created tournaments that you could monitor the scoring and statistics of via the Links 2004 website and via the in-game menus. In many ways, it was more advanced than the Connected Tournaments in Tiger 14. I'm really anxious to see what they do with this!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Doing a bit of a bump here, but in light of the recent Tiger Woods out of EA's game news, are we expecting 2K nabbed Tiger? It would make sense being that Tiger couldn't be the cover golfer for EA if he's in 2K's game too right?

I'm really hoping we see something on this soon and it's a full next gen title.

Cheddahz

Banned
Doing a bit of a bump here, but in light of the recent Tiger Woods out of EA's game news, are we expecting 2K nabbed Tiger? It would make sense being that Tiger couldn't be the cover golfer for EA if he's in 2K's game too right?

This could be a possibility

Derrick01

Banned

I saw on sportscenter today it said Tiger was already in negotiations with another company. So maybe.

Mesoian

Well considering the natural decline in quality of all of the EA golf games over the past few years, 2K is primed to take over the digital genre.

At least until Mario Golf U comes out and I don't care about real golf anymore.

UNCMark

Banned
Tiger wasn't the reason I was buying EA games. I bought them because of the PGA licensed courses. My interest in them has waned over the last 4-5 years as they just kept swapping the same courses year in and year out.

Spades

I'm all for a new golf series to be honest - the TW games have been pretty stale for the past few years and it'll be nice to play something different next-gen.

JoshHood

It'll be interesting if Tiger does join 2K, seeing as that series has long been known as 'Tiger Woods Golf' rather than 'EA Sports Golf'. Some people might not even realise the team has changed if he's still on the cover.

Spades

Tiger wasn't the reason I was buying EA games. I bought them because of the PGA licensed courses. My interest in them has waned over the last 4-5 years as they just kept swapping the same courses year in and year out.

This, and charging for the exact same DLC every single year. It wasn't even priced reasonably, either.

Kacho

Gold Member
I'd love to see 2K get real aggressive with sports games this upcoming generation. The thought of a golf game from them excites me greatly.

Now they need to make a comeback with hockey games and football(NFL) and I'm set. I'm ready to care about sports games again.

Seeing how well 2K and Visual Concepts did with the Jordan stuff, I would love to see them do career arcs for guys like Nicklaus, Tiger, and other big guys.

Top Bottom