• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Take-Two Results for Q3 FY2016: GTA V ships over 60 million copies

Hopefully the sales are a loud and clear message to Rockstar about the direction fans want from GTA. No more serious/realistic takes like GTA4.

I've played every GTA game from start to finish (including the original top down pc games) and loved every single one. The creativity, humour and general polish is unmatched in the industry and they deserve all this success. Really looking forward to the next iteration, hoping it's not too far away (a couple of years?).

Hopefully the sales are a loud and clear message to Rockstar about the direction fans want from GTA. No more serious/realistic takes like GTA4.
I despise the "satire/social commentary that goes nowhere and says nothing route" though

Nothing about V that I liked had to do with the level of seriousness.

dex3108

This conference call is interesting. GTA SA re release sold in more than 3.5M copies (if I heard correctly).

Christ Almighty. I'm responsible for 2 of those. Even though I still think the story was somewhat lame, the huge world and all of the fun things you can do it in are unparalleled. If there is going to be another Saints Row they're really going to have step up their game to compete.

I despise the "satire/social commentary that goes nowhere and says nothing route" though

Nothing about V that I liked had to do with the level of seriousness.

I just don't want them to ever go with the GTA4 direction again. The comment i'll always remember about that game is when they said they wouldn't include bicycles because they couldn't imagine Niko riding one. I don't really ride bicycles in GTA in the first place, but it spoke volumes about the game in the end. The shift from GTASA to 4 was a letdown because of how serious they took it. I don't think it's at all a surprise that the two best selling games in the series are GTAV and SA. I feel they represent GTA at its best.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Now use that money to make a Blade Runner inspired game, Rockstar. Come on. Fill me up with those replicant-killing blues.

Also, congrats to the team. The development of these games is quite literally an epic effort.

Mory Dunz

Well if GTAV is still able to sell another 10 million before it stops selling PS4 will be probably only one of current gen to get past that 70 million. Insane numbers for a one game.

yeah that's pretty much what I was implying.
I doubt xb1, 3ds, any NX, wii U (lol), would do more.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Holy fuck... GTA V sales o_o

But i think the most impressive is GTA SA which sold >3.5 million only on PS3 and 360!

I bought it three times, PS3/4 and an Xbox copy for my brother. I bet a large number of sales are people double, even triple dipping. Also, how is Take-Two losing money still.

diamount

Banned
Do Take-Two have any other IP remotely successful like GTA? Sounds like that is the only thing keeping them afloat.

Now use that money to make a Blade Runner inspired game, Rockstar. Come on. Fill me up with those replicant-killing blues.

Also, congrats to the team. The development of these games is quite literally an epic effort.

That's what Cyberpunk 2077 is for.

But on topic, those are incredible numbers. I've seen it for the most part at the very top of the steam best sellers list since launch and wonder when it will let up.

kipsta

I can still remember that awful GTA V Info Drought from Nov 2011 to Nov 2012.

Never Forget

The dark times... we don't speak about that.

I'm convinced GTA V was announced earlier than they would've liked to give Max Payne 3 a boost.

diamount

Banned
NBA2K, WWE, and Borderlands are all very successful. Also any Rockstar open world game means big business.

Borderlands isn't current, and Presequel wasn't successful enough to save 2K Australia from being shuttered. I've seen no information on the sales for the latest WWE game though, but I'll give you their sports lineup probably does very well. Not enough if say everyone lost interest in GTA though.

Seriously how is this company losing Money?

qMlI4xu.jpg

Agent has been in development for years. Must be costing them a fortune!

lol

By "sold-in" they mean "shipped", right? Why didn't they just say "shipped"? Were they expecting to fool people somehow?

Ushay

Holy fucking shit. GTA has some serious legs, they'd be insane not to make story content with that install base.

prag16

Banned
Agent has been in development for years. Must be costing them a fortune!

lol

Honestly, I want to see something other than GTA from these guys next. They're clearly extremely talented even if PERSONALLY I think GTA5 is extremely boring in almost every way (ducks for cover). RDR was equally boring for me, and GTA4 was a little better but still didn't stick with it ultimately.

Therefore, Agent is something I've had my eye on that sounds really interesting, and I'd love to see come to fruition. Rockstar pls.

This game. HOLY HOTTDAMN SHIT O_O

Is 100M looking realistic by holiday 2017? RDR2 will release by then. They'll obviously move onto that in maximizing profits. Really hope we see RDR 2 and a GTA VI this gen but its looking like only one of them.

Also, does this number include digital and bundles?

Dabanton

I just don't want them to ever go with the GTA4 direction again. The comment i'll always remember about that game is when they said they wouldn't include bicycles because they couldn't imagine Niko riding one. I don't really ride bicycles in GTA in the first place, but it spoke volumes about the game in the end. The shift from GTASA to 4 was a letdown because of how serious they took it. I don't think it's at all a surprise that the two best selling games in the series are GTAV and SA. I feel they represent GTA at its best.

GTAV has allowed them to have their cake and eat it, I suspect we'll see 3 characters in all the GTA games going forward. It makes it a lot easier for them to get around narrative dissonance.

And they can tailor different activities to different characters.

Dabanton

I saw a lot of level 2-20s recently which mean new players to the online herd. This game will continually sell.

Fantastically supported MP, if only they could find a way to make things more fluid for some of the modes.

what i hope for

RDR and Bully Remasters for ps4/xb1/pc (they will surprise us this year)
2017 RDR2 release
2018 Bully 2 release
2019 GTA6 release
next gen starts here
2020 PS5/XB2
2021 GTA6 Remaster

BELIEVE!

Top Bottom