• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Takt of Magic (Wii) homepage opened

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Looks really cool

Too bad it will never come to the U.S

Azure J

I like the concepts behind it and it all looks really interesting. Here's hoping that NOA is up to bringing it over.

:'(

Arde5643

Oh shiznit, this looks really cool - it's like an RPG in my Winning Eleven's control and Trauma Center's Healing System method (for inscribing the magic). :D

swerve

I love the look of it but can't help feel it'd have been cooler with Motion Plus (so you could do the gestures anywhere, not just at the screen).

But yeah, will buy.

MotherFan

I really hopes this comes over, but I am not getting my hopes up. I don't know what the hell NoA is doing with it's localization excuses, but it is unacceptable.

Eteric Rice

This looks really awesome. I hope they advertise it in Japan. It could be really popular.

Maybe...

I say maybe because the Japanese market is hard to predict right now. :/

Scrubking

3430044102_6e62d02e98_o.gif

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
I read the title as Tales of Magic :/

Looks good though.

Allan Holdsworth said:
Looks interesting I guess, but let's keep real, if Reggie doesn't want Fatal Frame or Disaster, why would he give a chance to this one?
news_starfylocalised.jpg

Now, I haven't been the gaming rumor/news nerd I use to be so I don't know exactly whats up with this resent blow out of NoA localization hate (yeah, seen the hate for like half a year now but recently you can't go into a Nintendo related thread with out people bitching about FF/ DD or Mother 3. Hell, some poor guy was nerd-raging about it in the "Tales of" thread . . . fucking game is 3rd party and has nothing to do with Nintendo) but from what I know their not really in charge of much that comes to the states.

That lil character above (Starfy) was trapped in Japan and in a interview where someone had the balls to ask Iwata why he hasn't come over yet, Iwata said something along the lines of "people in over-seas Nintendo have been asking for it but I don't think its the right title for those areas". Now NoA is also saying that NoJ makes most of the choices.

To me, Starfy finally coming over and Rhythm Heaven are a clear sign that NoJ wants to push some titles over here. Maybe someone can link me to a easy to read list of reasons for the hate (other than a few B rate games Regg may have red lighted) but I don't really get it.

(Nor do I get the MM raving)

ethelred

Black-Wind said:
That lil character above (Starfy) was trapped in Japan and in a interview where someone had the balls to ask Iwata why he hasn't come over yet, Iwata said something along the lines of "people in over-seas Nintendo have been asking for it but I don't think its the right title for those areas". Now NoA is also saying that NoJ makes most of the choices.

To me, Starfy finally coming over and Rhythm Heaven are a clear sign that NoJ wants to push some titles over here. Maybe someone can link me to a easy to read list of reasons for the hate (other than a few B rate games Regg may have red lighted) but I don't really get it.

The hate is because people have an expectation that mega-publishers won't fuck over their consumer base by releasing a significant number of titles exclusively in certain regions while refusing to either localize them for other regions or allow other publishers to step in and handle those localizations.

People don't care why that's happening, or which bean-counting bureaucrat is making the call. Nor do people care that some random internet Nintendo fan is willing to step out on that bold ledge and classify the left behind games as B-rated and thus not really worthy of localization. Nor do people care to spin apologias of said billion dollar global corporations based on a handful of (or, in this case, two) counter-examples that still translate to a significant number of games being left in the dust in Japan. Especially when the apologias are based on such particularly poor examples as two games finally being localized years after their predecessors saw no localizations at all.

Has this shed any light on your little dilemma?

Vinci

Danish
schuelma said:
Looks really cool

Too bad it will never come to the U.S

I hate you, truth-sayer.

EDIT: And seriously, folks. Anyone defending NOA's current practices is out of his damn mind. There is no sense in doing this. America is the Wii's strongest market - every fucking thing they can possibly put on the thing should be available here. That's not entitlement, that's common damn sense.

I'm not saying this about you specifically, Black-Wind, just about those who do it on occasion.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ethelred said:
The hate is because people have an expectation that mega-publishers won't fuck over their consumer base by releasing a significant number of titles exclusively in certain regions while refusing to either localize them for other regions or allow other publishers to step in and handle those localizations.

People don't care why that's happening, or which bean-counting bureaucrat is making the call. Nor do people care that some random internet Nintendo fan is willing to step out on that bold ledge and classify the left behind games as B-rated and thus not really worthy of localization. Nor do people care to spin apologias of said billion dollar global corporations based on a handful of (or, in this case, two) counter-examples that still translate to a significant number of games being left in the dust in Japan. Especially when the apologias are based on such particularly poor examples as two games finally being localized years after their predecessors saw no localizations at all.

... also that mega-publisher is literally the only company in the industry pursuing an aggressive policy of retrograding their localization record.

kenji

Vinci said:
I hate you, truth-sayer.

EDIT: And seriously, folks. Anyone defending NOA's current practices is out of his damn mind. There is no sense in doing this. America is the Wii's strongest market - every fucking thing they can possibly put on the thing should be available here. That's not entitlement, that's common damn sense.

I'm not saying this about you specifically, Black-Wind, just about those who do it on occasion.
but.. if this is a sequel / spiritual sequel of Lost Magic, and Lost Magic came in Europe and America, why this one should not come too?

Vinci

Danish
kenji said:
but.. if this is a sequel / spiritual sequel of Lost Magic, and Lost Magic came in Europe and America, why this one should not come too?

Based on the recent trend of NOA not localizing much?

@ Stump: That's the insane part! The company is making more money than anybody else, it's king of the gen without question, and yet ... it doesn't seem to be aggressively pursuing releases for its best market? I don't get it.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
kenji said:

Fatal Frame had been localized through the entire history of the franchise. Didn't really mean anything for FF 4.

kenji

schuelma said:
Fatal Frame had been localized through the entire history of the franchise. Didn't really mean anything for FF 4.
yes, i know well about that story :/
but hey, it's not that NoE or NoA won't bring anything anymore :D

i'm not defending them (i'm not even a nintendo or wii fan), but i just want to hope that the game will come here too :/

Black-Wind said:

Starfy took 5 installments and a decline in sales (and quality too, btw) to get to NA.
Rhythm Tengoku seems to be pushed by NCL because of it's excellent sales in Japan (see also: Wagamama Fashion). The GBA predecessor wasn't localized, presumably because it was a late release, but then the GBA was strong for a while after DS' launch in NA. (anyway, music games lose a lot in localization, so I think those aren't as much of a deal to fans, but still shows NoA's suckyness).

MM?

Allan Holdsworth said:
Starfy took 5 installments and a decline in sales (and quality too, btw) to get to NA.
Rhythm Tengoku seems to be pushed by NCL because of it's excellent sales in Japan (see also: Wagamama Fashion). The GBA predecessor wasn't localized, presumably because it was a late release, but then the GBA was strong for a while after DS' launch in NA. (anyway, music games lose a lot in localization, so I think those aren't as much of a deal to fans, but still shows NoA's suckyness).

MM?

Rhythm Heaven GBA didn't come over because the GBA was doing "too" well and NoA wanted to "encourage" players to upgrade to the DS.

ethelred said:
Has this shed any light on your little dilemma?
. . . Noooo, seemed like you simply attacked me and my post. My "2 lil examples" were simply up there to show why I think NoJ is currently trying to push more titles from Japan over here (that was the reason I replied to the guy, I think this is one of the games from the Oct-ton event that will be localized where as he thinks its not likely act all).

You had afew points but that has always been the case (Mega Pub keeping titles in one area is nothing new. Nintendo has always done that, I simply wanted to know whats pissing people off soo much right now).

@ Vinci: Im not really defending anyone. Just seems to me like NoA is the middle man and NoJ is the drug dealer who doesn't want to give the middle man THESE drugs. I just thought its odd and I really don't get it.

Personally I don't care nearly as much about this as some of you and thats pretty clear (I know I wouldn't get DD/ Captain Rainbow/ FF4 regardless cause I know the type of games I like. Most of the time the titles I look forward to come my way. Much more upset with other Japanese companies cause I like RPGs). It just gets annoying to see people bitch on ever thread about it and I simply want to know why this is happening so much.

If Im in a "Tales of" thread than I don't see how someone could randomly bitch about how the game might not come to the US because "NoA only caRez abOut soCcar MOmZ And DOn'T lOCaliZe hARdKoreGaMeS!". There seems to be a fadish tard-group that follows after the people who actually care about this and they are getting annoying.

Allan Holdsworth said:
. . . I don't think you got my point. Im talking about the here and now, not "how many games it took to get Starfy over here" or w/e. To ME if Starfy is finally coming here (the main game series I was pissed Nintendo didn't bring over) and RH is coming here as well than I don't see any reason to think theres "no hope" for this game. This seems like something Nintendo would release out side of Japan.

And MM stands for legend of zelda: majora's mask. Played the game when it came out . . . I don't know WTH is up which people recently calling it the peak of the series and some saying it "may have been one of the best games Nintendo has none".

jesusraz

kenji said:
Ubisoft brought the DS game to Europe...now Nintendo is in control who knows what will happen! Hopefully NoE keeps up its positive trend of picking stuff up earlier than NoA.

Black-Wind said:
You had afew points but that has always been the case (Mega Pub keeping titles in one area is nothing new. Nintendo has always done that, I simply wanted to know whats pissing people off soo much right now).
The reason why I'm personally pissed is because I want to fucking play Fatal Frame 4. That's all there is to it. I'm a huge fan of the series, and I was ecstatic to hear that the 4th one was going to Wii, since I thought that was exactly what the series could benefit from. And now it's not coming here.

Personally I don't care nearly as much about this as some of you and thats pretty clear (I know I wouldn't get DD/ Captain Rainbow/ FF4 regardless cause I know the type of games I like. Most of the time the titles I look forward to come my way. Much more upset with other Japanese companies cause I like RPGs). It just gets annoying to see people bitch on ever thread about it and I simply want to know why this is happening so much.

If Im in a "Tales of" thread than I don't see how someone could randomly bitch about how the game might not come to the US because "NoA only caRez abOut soCcar MOmZ And DOn'T lOCaliZe hARdKoreGaMeS!". There seems to be a fadish tard-group that follows after the people who actually care about this and they are getting annoying.

Well la-dee-da that you don't care about these games. We do. Sure quirky Japan-centric games such as Giftpia never came out in the U.S, and I had no real expectation that Captain Rainbow would but Disaster and FF 4 are different cases.

No, there's no talk like that in a Tales thread because there's no precedent that it wouldn't come out in the U.S. Now if Namco/Nintendo said " you know what? We're not gonna localize it. Sorry U.S. fans, but screw you," then I think you'd see a different reaction similar to what's going on in the Fatal Frame threads.

There was no reason to think Fatal Frame IV (a game with an established fan-following) wasn't going to be localized, but all signs indicate that it's not going to be, even coming from the f-ing developer themselves. Likewise, Disaster (a new IP that Reggie himself touted at E3 2006) which is pretty much done and localized for English-speaking audiences isn't coming out.

These aren't passive-aggressive digs from Nintendo trolls; I myself am a self-admitted Nintendo fanboy when you get down to it. But Nintendo has been trying to balance both the widespread appeal of the Wii while maintaining its core audience. Up until the last year or so, I would say they were succesfully doing that what with Mario Galaxy, Metroid, or what have you. But now, the decision to NOT localize games with a dedicated fanbase, (namely: FF IV) is stupid, and makes no sense. It's nice that they're deciding to release Starfy here, but I'm not going to sit here and be a cheerleader when it's clear that there are games out there that aren't going to be localized.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Black-Wind said:
Much more upset with other Japanese companies cause I like RPGs

Nintendo has failed to localize more RPGs in the two years than any international publisher excepting Namco has in the last five. If what you mean is that Namco is a shitty publisher, yes, they are. That doesn't excuse Nintendo.

No, they haven't. Their localization record has jumped off the diving board over the last few years after peaking in 2006. That's the damn point people have been making.

... and you posted in a thread where I proved that this was the case, so you have no excuse to be operating under the delusion that things are not getting worse.

But while we're at it, let's look at your stance on this stuff from that thread:

As for the topic, I don't really care too much. The few games I really want to come over arnt that unlikely to come over for the most part. ( Starfy being one of does which just wont happen.

So, to sum up my post, Im OK for now because I don't really ever care unless it's a title Im interested in . . . thats all, you can carry on with the bitching

Basically, the reason you don't care is because the one game you want to be localized is being localized. ethelred specifically replied to this when he said "Nor do people care that some random internet Nintendo fan is willing to step out on that bold ledge and classify the left behind games as B-rated and thus not really worthy of localization"--that's a callout to you feeling it's okay for a company to undertake an anti-consumer policy.

No one cares which games you want, or I want, or any one person wants. People like different things. I don't give a shit about Starfy. I have the fourth one. It's a mediocre game made for babies. It's like Kirby, only somehow more bland and easier. Why would anyone want this junk?

But it's a great thing that it's being localized, because apparently someone else has the taste to enjoy it. We all have a vested interest to want as much as possible to be localized.

You also wrote:

IMO theres more to this than "Nintendo of Americaz not localizingz as much az they use to! WTF NoA!?!!!", theres more to it than just NoA not wanting to bring shit over. Be it market, image, sells or the economy . . .theres something else here.

ethelred replied to you on this point with this: "The hate is because people have an expectation that mega-publishers won't fuck over their consumer base by releasing a significant number of titles exclusively in certain regions while refusing to either localize them for other regions or allow other publishers to step in and handle those localizations. "

Essentially, it doesn't matter what the cash situation is for a given title. If Nintendo was interested in localizing but unfortunately couldn't manage to make some titles work on a business level, they ought to release those titles to other publishers who will. There are publishers in America who release dozens of titles a year, none of which sell over the mid tens of thousands of units. They make profits. They are leaner and more agile than Nintendo. They can crunch the numbers and make things work.

That Nintendo does not release those titles means that Nintendo is not merely concerned with making adequate profit, they are also concerned with tight IP control to the degree that it is more important to them that their brand and their image is totally under their control than that you or I are able to play games. That's what makes this stupid.

XSeed wants many of these games. Atlus has given a college try to get a few of them. Tecmo just announced that they would love to work with a publisher on FF4.

Chumly

Black-Wind said:
news_starfylocalised.jpg

Now, I haven't been the gaming rumor/news nerd I use to be so I don't know exactly whats up with this resent blow out of NoA localization hate (yeah, seen the hate for like half a year now but recently you can't go into a Nintendo related thread with out people bitching about FF/ DD or Mother 3. Hell, some poor guy was nerd-raging about it in the "Tales of" thread . . . fucking game is 3rd party and has nothing to do with Nintendo) but from what I know their not really in charge of much that comes to the states.

Black-Wind said:
. . . Noooo, seemed like you simply attacked me and my post. My "2 lil examples" were simply up there to show why I think NoJ is currently trying to push more titles from Japan over here (that was the reason I replied to the guy, I think this is one of the games from the Oct-ton event that will be localized where as he thinks its not likely act all).

@ Vinci: Im not really defending anyone. Just seems to me like NoA is the middle man and NoJ is the drug dealer who doesn't want to give the middle man THESE drugs. I just thought its odd and I really don't get it.

. . . I don't think you got my point. Im talking about the here and now, not "how many games it took to get Starfy over here" or w/e. To ME if Starfy is finally coming here (the main game series I was pissed Nintendo didn't bring over) and RH is coming here as well than I don't see any reason to think theres "no hope" for this game. This seems like something Nintendo would release out side of Japan.

And MM stands for legend of zelda: majora's mask. Played the game when it came out . . . I don't know WTH is up which people recently calling it the peak of the series and some saying it "may have been one of the best games Nintendo has none".

How hard is it for you to understand that some of us are pissed at Nintendos TERRIBLE localization record.

1. Nintendo has one of the worst localization records out of any of the big publishers.
2. Its getting worse in the past couple of years

Some of us actually want Nintendos so called B-rated titles by you instead of the D-rated shit they localize for us like Starfy, Wii Music, Donkey Kong Barrel Blast. Its obvious that you fit right into NOA's trend of satisfying baby gamers.

Fatal Frame has had every single game localized but after securing the rights to it NOA decides its better to just not release it. How does that even fucking make sense?

Reggie said he wants to know why Resident Evil 5 is not on the Nintendo Wii? Its because he cockblocks other hardcore horror titles like Fatal Frame 4 from being release on the Wii. They dont even help encourage the release of hardcore games.

Reggie instead likes to give the hardcore on the Wii games like Animal Crossing ......... and thats it.

Also for some reason NOA has decided to focus on releasing New Play Control Pikmin, Mario Power Tennis, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat and not even give us a peep on New Play Control Metroid Prime which has been out in Japan for a while. North America was Metroid Primes best selling region why wouldnt NOA want to release it as fast as possible espcially when they are releasing shit on the system.

So this is the "psuedoSpiritual Successor" to Lost Magic? (Seems like someone answered it above but the lenghty quoted posts were in the way)

Anyway, I may just go back to Lost Magic. I hope this one doesnt have CHEAP bosses who can unleash attacks that can strike you from across the screen again. That was a major turn off and made me give up quick!

enishi

um... I didn't know it supports WFC until I visited the official website.

I didn't play DS version since I heard that the control was not that well. I will look forward to some players' comment before getting the game...

Top Bottom