• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taldren Shuts Down

BuddyC

http://general.gamerfeed.com/gf/news/7014/

Taldren, developer of Starfleet Command, has apparently shut down operations in the United States. Initially revealed on the company's message board, the forum was recently taken offline for "network maintenance." Starfleet Universe has since provided a summary of the postings made by Taldren staff, which yields some hope for the company.

According to the staff, the final nail in Taldren's coffin was delivered when Majesco quietly cancelled Black 9 last September. Without any other titles in active development, the company was unable to remain open.

Though the situation is less than ideal, it seems that all is not lost. Erik Bethke, Taldren's CEO, plans to open "an incarnation of Taldren" in South Korea and develop a myth-based massively multiplayer online role-playing game. As for the Taldren forums, efforts are currently underway to relocate the forum database to a new home, located at Dynaverse.net.

sorry if old, i did a search for 'taldren'

I work with an ex-Taldren employee. According to him, there was some serious drama in the club between them and Majesco regarding Black 9.

IgeL

So it is officially cancelled then.. It appeared on a "Fall 2004" release list someone posted here so I wasn't sure.

Anyway, I think Bethke should write another game industry book - titles "What can go wrong in game development". I'd love to hear some nightmare publisher stories.

WarPig

Ferrarisimo said:
I work with an ex-Taldren employee. According to him, there was some serious drama in the club between them and Majesco regarding Black 9.

Presumably the drama went something like this:

MAJESCO: Guys, this game is irretrievably shit.

TALDREN: No, it's not! Really, it's not!

ANYONE ELSE WHO SEES THE GAME: No, man, Majesco's right, this game is really irretrievably shitty.

TALDREN: NO!

And so on.

DFS.

ferricide

black 9 was the worst game i have ever been handed by a publisher with a straight face. granted, it wasn't done, but it wasn't even remotely promising or functional. in fact, it was incredibly hilariously poor. we had a lot of fun with it.

i actually use 'black 9' as a codeword to describe a game that is so poor that i can't believe a publisher is showing it to me, in fact.

Top Bottom