• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales from my ass: 95% of PlayStation games in 2023 are cross-gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RCU005

Mystic uploaded a video of every 2023 announced game for PlayStation and you can tell that 95% of them are also coming to PS4. Many of them don’t have confirmed dates yet, so they could even go to 2024.

Then, out of the few that are PS5, almost everything is either a PS5 version of a PS4 game or some kind of indie (looking) game.

The point of this is that the PS5 existence is irrelevant so far. The games themselves could be great, and there are some that will probably be amazing regardless of platform. However, this talks about 10Tflops, Industry-breaking-SSD, and whatnot is so far useless.

People could justify it with Covid-related issues and whatever they like, but the reality is that this generation is probably going to be remembered as a “why did it exist?” kind of way.

For PlayStation it could even be bad because Sony might focus more on PSVR2, which will take people and money resources from making amazing games for PS5.

TL: DR versión: PS5 is basically like PS4 Pro+

Here’s the video, at least it will help getting your gaming list for next year:

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

There is a spider man. isn't that a PS5-only game ( spider man 2) ??

if not, then wow lol.

Edit: Just watched it. most of the big games are PS5 only. forspoken, FF16, DLC for horizon, Final Fantasy Rebirth, Alan wake 2, Atlas Fallen, Black Myth Wukong, blue protocol, Crime Boss, Marvel spider man 2, Prgamata, Remnant 2, stellar blade and many others are PS5 only.

Also, its listed the new DLC for CP2077 for PS4... from what I remember its next-gen and PC only.

This title is misleading :/

Last edited:

SpokkX

This is actually really great news for consumers and the planet alike. The last thing earth needs are millions of plastic boxes shoveled into a landfill. And what gamers need are options. This is a win.
A win…. for cracks in walls to squeeze through

Those will feature heavily in 2023 too now

Fabieter

Consoles get more and more like pcs and this is further prove. My 3080 is also a 2080+. It plays the same games like 30% "better". But i still kinda agree on the ssd part.

vivftp

Mystic uploaded a video of every 2023 announced game for PlayStation and you can tell that 95% of them are also coming to PS4. Many of them don’t have confirmed dates yet, so they could even go to 2024.

Then, out of the few that are PS5, almost everything is either a PS5 version of a PS4 game or some kind of indie (looking) game.

The point of this is that the PS5 existence is irrelevant so far. The games themselves could be great, and there are some that will probably be amazing regardless of platform. However, this talks about 10Tflops, Industry-breaking-SSD, and whatnot is so far useless.

People could justify it with Covid-related issues and whatever they like, but the reality is that this generation is probably going to be remembered as a “why did it exist?” kind of way.

For PlayStation it could even be bad because Sony might focus more on PSVR2, which will take people and money resources from making amazing games for PS5.

Here’s the video, at least it will help getting your gaming list for next year:

What a silly take. It's not trying to justify it by bringing up the pandemic, many games were delayed months to over a year due to the pandemic, pushing back the length of time cross gen would last.

Also, the vast majority of these are third party games, it's not like Sony can control whether third parties make a last gen game or not. Calling the PS5 irrelevant just casually ignores all the games that aren't cross gen and all the benefits that come with playing on PS5. It's reductive, myopic and stupid.

I didn't watch the video yet but from the pic of the video, there is a spider man. isn't that a PS5 only game ( spider man 2) ??

if not, then wow lol.

Spider-Man 2 is PS5 only

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
The point of this is that the PS5 existence is irrelevant so far. this talks about 10Tflops, Industry-breaking-SSD, and whatnot is so far useless.

this generation is probably going to be remembered as a “why did it exist?” kind of way.

iu

RCU005

What was the first PS3 game that truly couldn’t be made on PS2?

What was the first PS4 game that truly couldn’t be made on PS3?

There hasn’t been a single PS5 game yet that couldn’t be done on PS4. Not even those exclusives to PS5. Someone might argue Ratchet and Clank, but is it really? Do you really need the SSD for that?

supernova8

Banned
What was the first PS3 game that truly couldn’t be made on PS2?

What was the first PS4 game that truly couldn’t be made on PS3?

There hasn’t been a single PS5 game yet that couldn’t be done on PS4. Not even those exclusives to PS5. Someone might argue Ratchet and Clank, but is it really? Do you really need the SSD for that?

Judging from the performance of Fortnite running in Unreal 5.1 with both Lumin and Nanite on pretty high-end PCs (talking RTX 4080/4090 territory), I think we can safely(ish) say future UE 5 games with all the visual bells and whistles would not even run at 1080p30 on last gen consoles.

According to someone on an Unreal forum, they could get Nanite working on an HDD but they had 32GB RAM. That by itself suggests that Nanite probably wouldn't work (or at least run at an acceptable framerate) on standard PS4/Xbox One or even the Pro ones. Of course if someone upgraded their storage to an SSD it might work with less RAM but that's an aftermarket upgrade so developers couldn't make games for last gen assuming gamers have made said upgrade. Plus those SSDs are not NVME and therefore much slower so it still might not work.

Gaiff

Gold Member
What's holding back developers are the lack of creativity and aversion to risk-taking. Games don't suddenly get better because of your 10TFLOPs GPU or blazing fast SSD.

Games haven't evolved much since the PS360 era so not sure what OP is complaining about. Graphics won't be as shiny as they otherwise would be? Big deal.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Yeah, try going back to not having an SSD in your console. It's awful. Started up Mario + Rabbids 2 last night and while fun, the loading is absolutely killing me after Ragnarok.

£500 for 60fps and an SSD is maybe unreasonable but that system IS still getting exclusives. That Demon's Souls remake was transformative, I'd play it again tomorrow.

Yeah, try going back to not having an SSD in your console. It's awful. Started up Mario + Rabbids 2 last night and while fun, the loading is absolutely killing me after Ragnarok.

£500 for 60fps and an SSD is maybe unreasonable but that system IS still getting exclusives. That Demon's Souls remake was transformative, I'd play it again tomorrow.
Cool, lets pay 500 dollars to play a remake of a game that came out over 10 years ago.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Consoles became PC's with the PS4 and Xbox One. Sure the PS5 is a PS4 Pro+ just aswell as a 4090 is a 3090+

The whole cross-gen hysteria is based on console generations from over 10 years ago. The PS6 will also just be a PS4 Pro Mega+ lol

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
There is a spider man. isn't that a PS5-only game ( spider man 2) ??

if not, then wow lol.

Edit: Just watched it. most of the big games are PS5 only. forspoken, FF16, DLC for horizon, Final Fantasy Rebirth, Alan wake 2, Atlas Fallen, Black Myth Wukong, blue protocol, Crime Boss, Marvel spider man 2 Prgamata, Remnant 2, stellar blade and many others are PS5 only.

Also, its listed the new DLC for CP2077 for PS4... from what I remember its next-gen and PC only
this title is misleading :/
Yep, most of the big must-play 2023 games are now next-gen exclusives. There'll always be indies and smaller-tier games that will and should release on both PS4 and PS5 as they aren't supposed to be ground-breaking in terms of visuals or mechanics.

Very weird and uninformed post by OP.

Mr Hyde

PS5 is an amazing console and a huge upgrade from PS4. My gaming experience has elevated to new heights. Basically no load times. Improved frame rates in almost every game I played. Dualsense controller is awesome. Great BC support with PS4. And when talking games, Demon's Souls, Returnal and Ratchet & Clank have all justified the purchase on top of great cross gen games such as Horizon, Death Stranding, FF7 and God of War. PS5 not irrelevant in the slightest because I wouldn't go back to gaming on a PS4 even if they put a gun to my head.

UnNamed

Banned
When PS1 was released, differences between Virtua Racing on MD and Ridge Racer were evident.

When PS2 was released, differences between RRT4 and RRV were evident.

When PS3 was released, differences between Black and Resistance, or Transformers War for Cyberton and Lair, were evident.

When PS4 was released, differences between Crysis 3 (consoles) and Killzone SF were less evident but still there. Less than a year later, you could compare Driveclub with GT6 or Infamous SS with the previous titles.

I still have to see evident differences between most of the PS5 games and PS4 games without using the DF's 400x lense.

When PS1 was released, differences between Virtua Racing on MD and Ridge Racer were evident.

When PS2 was released, differences between RRT4 and RRV were evident.

When PS3 was released, differences between Black and Resistance, or Transformers War for Cyberton and Lair, were evident.

When PS4 was released, differences between Crysis 3 (consoles) and Killzone SF were less evident but still there. Less than a year later, you could compare Driveclub with GT6 or Infamous SS with the previous titles.

I still have to see evident differences between most of the PS5 games and PS4 games without using the DF's 400x lense.
The 40/60 fps options make the biggest difference to me.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
These threads are gonna look very silly in 2023 and 2024 with most of the bigger titles being next gen only and some will look amazing

Last edited:

makaveli60

This is ridiculous, all that excitement and hype for this nothingburger generation. At this rate, this gen won’t even start until nextgen arrives...

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

OP will be shocked to hear that PC gamers have it even worse. I bought a RTX3080 card more than two years ago and there still aren't any games made exclusively for Nvidia Ampere cards. What a waste of money that card was... :messenger_confounded: The vast majority of PC games released will run on cards that are older than the PS4 which clearly proves that upgrading your PC is an expensive mistake.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Cool, lets pay 500 dollars to play a remake of a game that came out over 10 years ago.

The post was about the machine being worth it due to the combination of 60fps, SSD and the exclusives.

DeS was only an example, use Ratchet & Clank if you like, but frankly it doesn't matter if it's a remake and it being 10+ years old only helps its case. I'd rather take a remake that makes a technically outdated but fantastic game more palatable than something new and bad.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom