Tales from Twitter: Is Harada is the new Kamiya?! (Tekken 7 trolling)

Cheddahz

Banned
Aug 10, 2011
Here's the previous thread in which everyone was discussing the reveal of her

Polygon article
Youtube reveal video

Tekken 7 revealed its newest character over the weekend, and when Western gamers reacted harshly to her, the game's lead designer responded in kind, even implying she and other characters would not be in the game's North American version.

First, the character: Lucky Chloe, a teenager with headphones, cat ears, cat paws, knee socks and a miniskirt. Here's a YouTube video introducing her. The comments are what you'd expect, too.

The look is straight from the Japan pop-idol playbook, and was harshly and profanely criticized in this NeoGAF thread, either for being too typical, too weird, or both.

Katsuhiro Harada, alerted to the negative reaction, had one of his own regarding Western gamers' tastes: "Hello small world. I'll make muscular & skinhead character for you."

When someone on Twitter asked for the option to delete characters from the Tekken 7 lineup, Harada told them to "calm down and Don't worry. That character are East Asia and Europe ‘Exclusive.'"

Asked if he was really serious, Harada said he really was:

We're checking with a Namco representative just in case, and will update this story with any reply we receive.

Jul 22, 2007
just give me a kangaroo with boxing gloves on and a baby kangaroo in its pouch who also has boxing gloves on and we'll call it even

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
May 17, 2013
Harada jokes all the time. Didn't the "muscular skinhead with gun" tip anyone off?

He's just a little annoyed that a chunk of his fanbase (all "Westerners", apparently) wasn't thrilled with his idolmaster character.

The Lamonster

Aug 12, 2007
St. Louis
This is why we can't have nice things.

I'd be pissed about this if I was a Tekken fan; although if I was, I probably wouldn't be anymore after seeing how easily the developers cave to crap YouTube/Twitter comments.

Goldenroad

Jun 14, 2012
Canada
I can't think of anything creepier (that is legal) than catgirl fetishes.
I might agree with you, but maybe some people just want more fighters in their fighting games. I don't know...I never considered people who used Blanka in SF2 to be fetishists, but maybe I'm living in some kind of bubble where not everything has to be tied to a fetish.

danmaku

Dec 9, 2008
Italy
I doubt he was serious... especially considering the "muscular skinhead" comment. He was just pissed at the absurd fan reaction from the west.

I can't think of anything creepier (that is legal) than catgirl fetishes.
Is Playboy still doing the playmate photos with bunny ears? Because it's pretty much the same thing.

Hasney

Dec 6, 2012
This is great. What's Polygons next article? Creator of Bayonetta may block people on Twitter occasionally? Ono is always 100% serious too?

Mar 10, 2005
www.theimrankhan.com
Remember when Game Informer wrote a story about "KAMIYA SAYS WONDERFUL 101 IS OUT NEXT WEEK HOLY SHIT"

Japanese developers are not aliens. Applying some modicum of logic to tell if they're joking isn't hard.

liquidtmd

Banned
Jun 10, 2012
Obviously this tells us shes appealing to a more European male personality and not macho...

Sakujou

Banned
Oct 22, 2012
yeah, best response in years!!!! this is for you, gamers.

seriously, seeing the nasty reaction on the internet gave me goosebumps.

its a fucking game character, what do you want?

a white male with no hair, screaming dudebro-lines heard in every fps????

Dimitri LH

Aug 31, 2013
Aguadilla, PR
I thought we learned to stop going to polygon for anything thats not a review?

Now NeoGAF is gonna get shit on even more if Harada pulls off a troll move lol.

CastorTroy

Mar 28, 2014
Really hope it's true. The character is fine for just about any other game coming out of japan, but she has no place in Tekken and it's just silly. Stick her in Summer Lesson if you need to.

Hugstable

Banned
Aug 3, 2012
Merced, CA
yeah, best response in years!!!! this is for you, gamers.

seriously, seeing the nasty reaction on the internet gave me goosebumps.

its a fucking game character, what do you want?

a white male with no hair, screaming dudebro-lines heard in every fps????
Harada has got you covered!

SmokeMaxX

Apr 3, 2009
Hey screw you guys who complained. Noone's forcing you to use the damn character. Can't believe people are encouraging a developer to REMOVE CONTENT. The game's not all about you.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Feb 24, 2013
Toronto
Is gaf the only forum polygon go to?
They can't get a membership here so they resort to writing quality articles about us

"quality"