• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Arise 7 Minutes Gameplay Footage

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
They mentioned in the reveal that this one would be revolutionary tho.
But end of the day it needs to play like aTales game, since that most Tales fans want. I mean you were hoping to play like MH game but I'm already have Rise why would I want another series to play like MH?

Last edited:

Klayzer

But end of the day it needs to play like aTales game, since that most Tales fans want. I mean you were hoping to play like MH game but I'm already have Rise why would I want another series to play like MH?
It wouldn't be a Tales game if they changed from action oriented gameplay. This place (IMO) loves to go contraian seemingly for any reason. Logical or not.

blackjon24

Honestly I like the changes I'm seeing its looking like a game worth playing. I'd have gone even further and removed battle transitions.

I can't believe people just wanted more of the same with this one. You have how many tales games that are virtually the same. Finally getting a nice shakeup of the formula and I'm all for it. The series was seriously becoming the fast food of jrpgs.

Last edited:

Exentryk

I must admit I groaned when I saw the battle transition. They could have just kept it seamless like Star Ocean 5, as this looks very similar system.
But the transitions are quick at least, so should be fine.

Last edited:

Sidesalad

The combat animations are really clunky when comparing it to Monster Hunter Rise.

Battle transition is really weird in 2021.
Yeah... I'm still excited for this game, but it just seems a bit lackluster when compared to FF7 Remake. That's probably not a fair comparison but it's the first thing that popped into my head.

Bodomism

Banned
Are you kidding me!? after long silence we thought the game wouldn't make it in 2021, Sep pretty good date.

You can't really compare the combat system in Tales games with MH series because Tales is all about fast action combat. In MH your entire animation of you swinging your weapon plays out since that game is much more about knowing your opening while Tales is all about fast combo.
Speaking from animation works alone, TOA looks like a couple gens behind MHR and if we're comparing it to fast action games like Bayonetta 2, DMC V, and Astral Chain it's still looks outdated.

Some of the best graphics for a game of its kind.

Speaking from animation works alone, TOA looks like a couple gens behind MHR and if we're comparing it to fast action games like Bayonetta 2, DMC V, and Astral Chain it's still looks outdated.
Who cares? The graphics are great, better than any of those games, this game isn't a high budget game with rock your socks off animation (as if that makes a game). Purely on a technical showcase, it's hard for a Japanese dev to beat Bandai.

God damn, from the initial reveal trailer I thought this would be real time monster hunter style combat. That battle transition tradition sucks, feels like mechanic from prehistory legacy.

"prehistory legacy" proceeds to name drop a generic "RPG" series where you only fight bosses, real fun. And plus it's got dinosaurs! Not my favorite series, and it's far from "different".

Last edited:

linkroi

The first impression is kinda "meh", I mean... I thought it would look better and have real time combat without this loading between each fight, but I guess it's still too much to do for a Tales of. In the other hand, the gameplay looks pretty fluid andfun like the others, so... clearly not a game that I'm impatient to discover, but still want to play it (discount).

The graphics are good, but the environments feel uninspired, there’s nothing original or interesting to look at, it’s just your average arid / snow area.

I don’t mind the battle transitions at all and the combat seems solid. Still wish the UI had mor oomph.

I guess the characters and plot will make or break this game. A story of nobles and slaves is tired imo.

Winter John

Gold Member
It looks ok. I doubt the characters will be as good as Berseria's but the combat looked better, and graphics were nice

MagnesG

Banned
The only improvement I could see is the graphics. The character animations still look stiff, so basically window dressing. Lol at environment trailer.

We also have tons of the same Tales games already so they really need to sell me on a lot more than that, I've gotten bored with the battle systems and their usual B-grade anime tropes.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
It looks like Code Vein, I think they even reused the fonts from that game to the lighting.

Code Vein was OKish but the combat which seems like they've transferred into this game, was pretty sloppy shit.

Last edited:
30 seconds into the English video and I am already sold. Feels so good to be playing jrpgs again. I took a foolishly long break playing western made stuff that I was not enjoying. Took me too long to come back to my senses.

Graciaus

I'm not going to watch the video but I'll be buying it day one.

I haven't played a Tales I didn't enjoy initially but I find anything pre Graces combat wise not much fun anymore.

NahaNago

Character and monster design look bad.
Effects all over the screen to the point of hurting the eyes.
Environments look similar to every other game that outsources assets to another country.

What hell happened.
I wish developers would stop using UE4 for stylized games, the lighting always looks off somehow.

Vesperia is technically inferior, but its art direction makes it look miles ahead better than this one
Vesperia was my first tales game and every one since then has been disappointing.

Top Bottom