• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Arise shipments and digital sales top one million

Tales-of-Arise-Sales_09-16-21-1536x1518.jpg

In other news Tales Of Berseria just reached 2 million sales after 5 years....

Vesperia DE just reached 1.5 million while the original release on 360/PS3 sold 2.8 million.

YukiOnna

Vesperia DE just reached 1.5 million while the original release on 360/PS3 sold 2.8 million.
BESTperia still going strong. Never thought the Definitive Edition would hit over a million.

Last edited:
BESTperia still going strong. Never thought the Definitive Edition would hit over a million.
After all the port begging i expected it to be higher actually.

Truth be told i don't like Vesperia much and it didn't help that it's basically Abyss on steroids and I've already experienced the true next step for the series with Graces F/Xillia/X2/Berseria (and yes even Zestiria the forbidden one) which had a VASTLY better battle system with a true full 3d movement and even if the story was "trope-y and filled with clichés" it was saved by the fantastic group interactions and it didn't shit the bed as hard as Vesperia did with it's last third.

I really need to play Vesperia again sometime maybe i'll judge it less harshley although the skill system can go fuck itself, in my eyes it was a victim of the "first game in the series played by a console fanbase syndrome" (also happened with Symphonia) where in people overhype a series entry to the high heavens cause it's one of the few JRPGs on the system as well as their first in the series and let's not forget being a kid when they've played it so bonus nostalgia points.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Totally diserved, it’s one of the best JRPGs in years and it puts Square recent output (including FFVIIR) to shame
I wouldn't go that far but I would say I definitely enjoying its action combat much more in Arise, in this game you can also pause the battle and give commands to your party members but unlike FFVIIR in Arise it actually feels much better to dodge and has WAY better arial combat.

YukiOnna

After all the port begging i expected it to be higher actually.

Truth be told i don't like Vesperia much and it didn't help that it's basically Abyss on steroids and I've already experienced the true next step for the series with Graces F/Xillia/X2/Berseria (and yes even Zestiria the forbidden one) which had a VASTLY better battle system with a true full 3d movement and even if the story was "trope-y and filled with clichés" it was saved by the fantastic group interactions and it didn't shit the bed as hard as Vesperia did with it's last third.

I really need to play Vesperia again sometime maybe i'll judge it less harshley although the skill system can go fuck itself, in my eyes it was a victim of the "first game in the series played by a console fanbase syndrome" (also happened with Symphonia) where in people overhype a series entry to the high heavens cause it's one of the few JRPGs on the system as well as their first in the series and let's not forget being a kid when they've played it so bonus nostalgia points.
I wasn't expecting much from it given the sales trend of Tales games that came prior, but for me it speaks to its quality to have come that far. Vesperia will always remain what represents the best of the Tales series IMO and it was hard to stomach the games that came after. Getting to replay it with the Definitive Edition cemented that. I won't deny the following games had a better battle system, but everywhere else is where the execution was lacking and missed the point of a Tales game for me.

I hope if you try it again you enjoy it though.

I still want Symphonia, Graces f and Xillia 1 & 2 to come out on PS4 or PS5.
They'll definitely release a remaster to fill the gap between releases in the near future, let's not forget that Tales of WAS a yearly franchise and Arise by far took the longest time to develope and release (5 years).

So unless they've mastered the use of UE4 I'm sure one of those titles will be remastered soon.

SkylineRKR

I've played quite a bit of Tales games and I am very certain that Arise is the best game in the franchise so well deserved.

As for FFVIIR, I ended up enjoying that game more when I replayed hard mode and skipped its awful road sections and some cringe scenes.

If Arise is better, well, Arise does have more charm and is a complete story. But its not entirely fair, FFVII is obviously made on a far higher budget and part of an ongoing saga. I think both games have phenomenal battle systems though. Still, at gunpoint I would personally give the nod to Arise as its level design and gameplay is simply tighter. Tales of Arise is the best JRPG I have played in a very long time. Its better and more fun to play than DQ XI if you ask me.

As for why I think this is the franchise best, well I think it has the best story and least cringe. Its not an award winning story, but for this franchise its not bad. The combat, after a rocky start is up there with the very best. Each character plays very differently, and most of them are fun to play (Rinwell is one of the series best mages; she can steal and combine spells). MC can perfect evade and even gain overlimit mode from it, Kisara can perfect block. If you don't get hit using Law he builds up power, etc. Its all pretty cool.

The boost strikes never get old either, I love them. I think my faves are Kisara's. The one with shionnes bullets into her shield, or the ice shield with Do. Its great.

Last edited:
but everywhere else is where the execution was lacking and missed the point of a Tales game for me
Eh i didn't think it did anything better than later entries, i know people love to bring up it's visual fidelity and it's saturated color palette and having a world map (something i don't miss really) as opposed to the Xillia engine games kind of muted color palette, but people forget that those games had waaaay better character models and animations which were closer to their concept art (so long chibi models) and also had in engine and in game cinematics which helped immensely with the storytelling, and really i think the Xillia duology some of the best and most distinct art direction im the series.

40421TOXi_20.jpg
40420TOXi_19.jpg
40422TOXi_21.jpg
ToX2_Apr222014_01.jpg

Javthusiast

Banned
I am glad Tales of Budget is the fastest selling in the franchise. Means Bamco will continue to pump money into it so the environments don't look ps3 like, as it was in the games prior.

Lanrutcon

It's a great game but when I retire I'm going to make it my mission to track down the person who designed the fishing minigame and go all Saw on him.

As someone unfamiliar with the Tales series is this an easy recommend for someone who enjoyed JRPG's in the past but has somewhat lapsed?

I tried and enjoyed DQXIS, would this be similar to that sort of experience?

ClosBSAS

Half of those are PC sales...so good to see bamcos PC approach has paid off for them over the years. Once they saw that easy money for dark souls, they haven't stopped putting things on PC.

Also, PC version with npc mod fix and other tweaks, is best version.

Last edited:

Bodomism

Banned
He's probably implying that it reached 1 million this fast thanks to the PlayStation users where the majority of its sales are from. No lies detected.

Sales breakdown is most likely PS, steam ,........................Xbox.
This isn't true yet. TOA users on Steam is very high. Peak CCU is at 60K which is higher than P4G that has sold 1M on Steam.

Lanrutcon

Half of those are PC sales...so good to see bamcos PC approach has paid off for them over the years. Once they saw that easy money for dark souls, they haven't stopped putting things on PC.

Yeah, that pop in is unfortunate.

Bodomism

Banned

Steam is surely going to be the majority part of where those copies were sold to.

Last edited:

yazenov

This isn't true yet. TOA users on Steam is very high. Peak CCU is at 60K which is higher than P4G that has sold 1M on Steam.

You're delusional if you think the bulk of the sales are on Steam. Tales Japan sales alone guarantees the bulk of sales are on PS.

Steam sales might gain steam down the line when there will be a price drop.

Now say thank you Playstation.

Last edited:

Amiga

Before the PS4 generation Tales sales wouldn't reach 1 million even after years. And usually at this point in launch a new Tales game would just hit 300K at best. at this pace lifetime sales could go over 4 million in a few years. backwards compatibility for all consoles and not-resetting or splitting the market has been very healthy for the industry.

Before the PS4 generation Tales sales wouldn't reach 1 million even after years. And usually at this point in launch a new Tales game would just hit 300K at best. at this pace lifetime sales could go over 4 million in a few years. backwards compatibility for all consoles and not-resetting or splitting the market has been very healthy for the industry.
That was usually because it would take years to get an English release of a Tales game, Xillia sold over 500k in Japan alone in it's first week in September 2011 and that game and it's sequel didn't get an English release until late 2013 and 2014!

Graciaus

That's good but I don't see anything improved other then arguably the graphics in Arise. Which is fine Tales will be Tales. But the huge wait for basically a Ps3 game is disappointing.

That's good but I don't see anything improved other then arguably the graphics in Arise. Which is fine Tales will be Tales. But the huge wait for basically a Ps3 game is disappointing.
Get an eye check and play the demo before speaking shit, it's different enough from other games without shedding the series's identity.

Mister Wolf

That was fast. The artstyle and character designs are extremely appealing. They need to keep this artist for the next one.

Last edited:

mejin

So, the best thing that happened to the series was to get rid of Hideo Baba.

Didn't get my copy yet, but definitely in my wishlist.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
As a long time fan of the series, I was really concerned that the series was turning into a stale, annualized AA series. The games were never bad, and in fact I liked Berseria more than the few before it, but the series was undeniably at a cross roads, where declining sales were either going to mean declining budgets, or Namco would double down and invest in making the series big again.

I'm glad they chose the path of quality over quantity. I don't need a Tales game every year, a really good one every so often is much better. Glad to see the market agrees.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats

its literally a much different game than the last 4 games.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
The graphics -- and production values in general -- are massively improved. It doesn't look like a PS3 game the way Berseria did at all. It also seems to be one of the stronger titles in the series in terms of story and gameplay, though these weren't necessarily the big problem with Berseria (which, in fairness, is regarded as on of the better games in the series, just dated).

Last edited:

Graciaus

Get an eye check and play the demo before speaking shit, it's different enough from other games without shedding the series's identity.
I own and have played it. Try not being an asshole next time.
its literally a much different game than the last 4 games.

The graphics -- and production values in general -- are massively improved. It doesn't look like a PS3 game the way Berseria did at all. It also seems to be one of the stronger titles in the series in terms of story and gameplay, though these weren't necessarily the big problem with Berseria (which, in fairness, is regarded as on of the better games in the series, just dated).
It plays like a Ps3 game with prettier grqphics. The dungeons are small linear point a to b with a path toward a chest maybe. The Overworld is small open areas with nothing in them. Towns are still tiny with no exploration. Battles do not happen instantly they still have a transition screen. Xillia did all this years ago. I'm hoping the second half of the game changes this.

Mr Hyde

Definitely picking this up when I have the time. Was quite long ago I played a Tales-game (Xillia was the last one). Maybe the series has evolved a bit now.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm planning on picking this up after I finish Ys IX

Top Bottom