• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria- Review Thread

Kurumi

January is a good month for gaming. Unfortunately since I bought GR2,RE7,and Yakuza 0 this month Tales of Berseria is going to have to wait a bit.

pa22word

Wow, he actually likes the keyboard/mouse controls to the point that he prefers it to gamepads if it weren't for some odd implementation of the shift key as a not-really modifier key.

That's not really that surprising. Most games like this typically control better on a keyboard and mouse as long as the binds were designed by someone that's actually played a video game on a keyboard and mouse.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Surprisingly positive reviews. Im in if its at least better than Xillia (which had some high points mixed with many low points).

Datschge

That's not really that surprising. Most games like this typically control better on a keyboard and mouse as long as the binds were designed by someone that's actually played a video game on a keyboard and mouse.
Is that so? Never played a third person action/fighter game with keyboard and mouse, what other examples are there?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
High reviews for what is essentially a PS3 game. Which means these reviews show favorably to the quality of this game.

One interesting thing I've noticed is that the Tales games have never scored more than 80 on Metacritic since TOS released. That includes fan favourite Vesperia. Bearing that in mind and the almost annual nature of these games the reviews this installment is getting is actually really good.
Think I'm going to sell my sealed copy of xillia and put the funds toward this game. Good idea Gaf?

Sounds better than some of the last few games, but they need to fix the world design. That's one of the big things that burned me on the last 3 games.

Blader

Haven't played a Tales game since Abyss (tried Vesperia, but only put an hour into it before I was sidetracked and I just never made my way back to it). I liked the demo, but only recently started FFXV, so this'll have to wait for me. Glad to hear the writing is strong though...particularly because of FFXV :lol

pa22word

Is that so? Never played a third person action/fighter game with keyboard and mouse, what other examples are there?

Batman games, mgr (a big one because the wonky camera issues are totally fixed due to you separating button presses from camera controls), all the DMC games other than 3, etc. All play better on a keyboard and mouse as long as you have a mouse with 5 buttons or more. And really, in 2017 if you don't have a five button mouse it's time to do yourself a favor and buy one.

I've been playing mad max lately with kbm entirely and would never think to use a controller with it due to how bad the camera is. The binds aren't perfect (seriously console developers: quit mapping 26 different functions to the e key this shit is terrible), but it's a wide improvement over having to fight the camera on a gamepad.

I mean it's essentially the exact same set up as a wiimote but without the downsides of only having like 4 buttons to use and instead having like 50. Did anyone have problems playing zelda on a Wiimote other than waggle?

Nice! Looking pretty solid. I absolutely hated Zesteria but love Xillia 1 and 2. Anyone know how does this one stacks up in comparison to those?

Cornbread78

Woah. The story impressions seem to be super positive.

Looks like I'll have to buy. Any story connection to Zestiria? I remember reading a thread here that someone found a connection.

Same world/lore, but 1,000 years apart with a completely different cast than Zestiria.

Yo wtf, everything getting great reviews. Stahp.

Nice! Looking pretty solid. I absolutely hated Zesteria but love Xillia 1 and 2. Anyone know how does this one stacks up in comparison to those?

Well, at the very least it's apparently far better than both and the best Tales game since Vesperia. Some people have said it's better in the import thread. At least in some regards.

pa22word

Thanks for your input. Haven't used my PC much for gaming but that may change. Been a huge fan of Wiimote pointing and its likeliness to mouse control so that part of your description convinced me. ^^

It IS different though, just a heads up. It'll take you a bit to get past the inertia of having used nothing but a controller in these types of games, but once you get past that the camera alone will make it 100% worth it.

The first game that really got me to change over to kbm in these third person actiony console games was dead rising 2, and it was by accident. When the game shipped it had totally broken controller support and I just said Fuck it and rolled with it. Best happy accident ever, because now I rarely if ever use a controller in pc games unless the designers just totally botch the binds. For instance lost Planet 3 has no mouse integration on the in-game ui at all and instead forces you to bind dpad movement to separate keys in order to use it, AND does not allow for overbinding multiple actions on keys (even on keys the game itself over binds actions on!). Completely asinine and such a chore that I just gave up and plugged in a pad.

Most games released today though are perfectly fine other than a few irritating snafus like that mad max example.

Granjinha

Real, honest question (to those who know more than i do):

Why doesn't Namco invests a bit more in the Tales of series? With something that actually looks NEW and inventive i think the series could see a boost in sales and popularity (this coming from someone who will buy Berseria, eventually)

correct me if i'm wrong

Some people in the Import thread mentioned the game was pretty good, so I was kind of expecting good reviews. I want to play it but the news about how it was censored made me to reconsider if I should buy it or not...

Anyways... if my PC runs Zestiria I guess I can play this one too without problems.

straylize

Some people in the Import thread mentioned the game was pretty good, so I was kind of expecting good reviews. I want to play it but the news about how it was censored made me to reconsider if I should buy it or not...

Anyways... if my PC runs Zestiria I guess I can play this one too without problems.

The censoring is one scene, modified so they could keep the T/PEGI16 rating. It's not something that is going to ruin the entire game in the least. I know people get super up in arms about this topic, but it's probably not worth casting the whole game aside over one scene.

Wow, surprisingly great reviews. I've been pretty underwhelmed by what I played of the last few Tales games, to the point that I was not going to pick this up on release, but now I think I will.

I can't wait for this game. From what I've played and seen of the Japanese version this game exceeds Vesperia but doesn't quite reach the level of Phantasia and Destiny.

Cornbread78

The censoring is one scene, modified so they could keep the T/PEGI16 rating. It's not something that is going to ruin the entire game in the least. I know people get super up in arms about this topic, but it's probably not worth casting the whole playing a good game over one scene.

not to mention that the scene is still technically there, just modified to be less visually "grotesque"

Cornbread78

I prefer to have my visually grotesque scenes. Censorship is a pretty big deal to me, even if it's just one scene.

That being said, the game seems pretty good.

I really hate it in some cases, in others it's just annoying. In this case, it's so stupid; but I get it....

CrazyHal

I don't care much about tales of anymore (i used to be a big fan) but i'll give this one a try once the price drops.

HeeHo

After Zestiria and numerous other Tales games I've played, I am glad I am going to skip this one.

This might have a better story than usual for Tales, but I often feel tricked by these games due to myself hyping it up and others who hype it up. Screens of the battle system always look great and I end up thinking I'm going to get a complete package but I just hate the way the stories are told in these games. I have not really played much of Xillia 1 or 2, but at least Zestiria got away from the near top down, static cutscenes that barely have any animation like Vesperia, Symphonia and Abyss. Even then though, it still managed to be drawn out, boring and corny.

I always think that the next game is going to be the one that finally gets it right, but I end up being disappointed by the over-used anime cliches and underwhelming story presentation, not to mention the padding too. I would like to see them try a shorter 25 hour game (with a hefty post-game) that puts more time into the writing and presentation of the story.

KDR_11k

With so many of these games and all of them having weird names I didn't even realize that Berseria is a new one, I thought it was one of those released in the past years that all got bad reviews...

Datschge

Why doesn't Namco invests a bit more in the Tales of series? With something that actually looks NEW and inventive i think the series could see a boost in sales and popularity (this coming from someone who will buy Berseria, eventually)
So far Tales has been a rather low budget series that manages to hide that fact using progressively iteration on many parts and combining that with bigger production value of jpop anime ops, anime cutscenes and gratuitous voicing. Berseria for instance is still building on the PS3 gen engine and assets (it actually released on PS3 in Japan) while the next Tales was announced to no longer support PS3. So that will be the point where Bandai Namco could invest more into Tales for good impact, especially as it's well received on PC. But Bandai Namco in general has become more conservative with all its videogame projects, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

DC1

Ahhhhhhh!!!

The demo sucked so bad! But these reviews are so good! I'm going to buy it tonight.

Damnit.

Verus

I can't wait for this game. From what I've played and seen of the Japanese version this game exceeds Vesperia but doesn't quite reach the level of Phantasia and Destiny.
YfgGpj3.jpg

I thought I was the only one left who loved these two the most!

Avoiding the demo, can't wait to play it tomorrow.

Waterdrop

The demo was not good because It focused on the god awful graphics and game-play.

But the characters all were awesome (except that annoying ass cat thing).

The story seems amazing which is incredibly good news, I will pick it up tomorrow.

Waterdrop

I really didn't like Berseria. Did any of these reviewers make it to the final boss? Yuck.

PLEASE without actually spoiling anything, what do you mean by "yuck", was it 2 easy?, was it an ugly design?.

I heard the game's story is fantastic, long, and filling.

Phil Fish

Banned
So basically, sensitive people getting triggered at the MC's outfit and """dull""" world design are what's causing the scores to get lowered.

Alright then, I'll buy it.

Lulubop

The demo was not good because It focused on the god awful graphics and game-play.

But the characters all were awesome (except that annoying ass cat thing).

The story seems amazing which is incredibly good news, I will pick it up tomorrow.

If the gameplay is not good, we have a problem

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Surprisingly good reviews, was honestly expecting this to be reviewed middling at best. My copy's already pre ordered so this is just that much better.

Ketkat

So basically, sensitive people getting triggered at the MC's outfit and """dull""" world design are what's causing the scores to get lowered.

Alright then, I'll buy it.

Yeah, people not liking character designs obviously means they're triggered. Get off your high horse.

Top Bottom