• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria- Review Thread

Basically. Its less crap than Zestiria since they owered the scope but still a lot of empty space with no purpose

Dull, empty space is bad, but I can't say I'd prefer it if things were flipped around the other way. I haven't played a Tales of game since Vesperia. I think I'll bite with this one. Combat and especially plot are more important for me in a JRPG.

Waterdrop

Basically the world is this.

Add a blank space of land, fill it with monsters in random spots, make the graphics look ps3 esk

And that is basically what we have.

The gameplay does not look "bad" it plays well, it's fun, but a bit repetative, but that's normal for tales games.

The story I am hearing is amazing, and mid journey cut-scenes are the best in the series.\

2bh my favorite tales game is vesperia followed by graces.

I really wish I never played the demo since it hurt my excitement for Berseria. I was hoping they improve the field/dungeons from Zesteria and the Xilla games, but reviews indicates that's not the case.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Dull, empty space is bad, but I can't say I'd prefer it if things were flipped around the other way. I haven't played a Tales of game since Vesperia. I think I'll bite with this one. Combat and especially plot are more important for me in a JRPG.

Basically for most of the part since they went 3D the overworld part sucked except maybe in Vesperia but it was perhaps cause it was more compacted and didnt try to go too crazy with scope. I do hope eventually they get it together.

Waterdrop

They simply need to do ONE thing and ONE thing only.

Ni-no-kuni Route.

That is the type of open world they should go with, have boats,dragons,airships w/e make it oldschool.

Vesperia did it as well. That's the direction, find a place in the world map, click it and enter.

Rpgmonkey

For me with the fields/dungeons, I thought the art in a number of them was pretty good. Or at least, I saw what they were going for and it felt like an earnest attempt at making places that vary in structure and elevation and catch your eye compared to Xillia and Zestiria.

I think it's the technical side that drags it down the most, where the textures, draw distance, and density of objects on the field could all stand to be improved or increased and would have given the environments a lot more "life".

From a content perspective, eh I don't know what they should do. It's not an open world game but they're not made with the expectation of you running to your next destination in a minute either. They added some treasures, hunts, and little points of interest that the party talks about, but they would probably have benefited from adding a decent quest here and there.

Does this game also have the rampant copy paste towns that Xillia suffered from?

No. The game has about
towns, unique from each other.

They're handled like towns in most Tales games, an interior here or there but a lot of your activities happen in the exterior environment.

Oh man there is just not enough time! Between finishing gravity Rush 2 and playing Yakuza 0 this one will have to wait. Gonna have a bitchen backlog and god help me if I can't clear it by the time P5 drops.

Zarth

I don't understand where the tech and time goes that they can have such an empty world.

Its not like they are doing anything difficult or cutting edge with their world building. You'd think by now they would have nice tools to fill out all the stuff.

Instead we're left with a big empty space like FF15.

AKC12

I may pick this up eventually. It would be the first Tales game I've played since Symphonia (wanted to play Vesperia but never owned a 360)

YfgGpj3.jpg

I thought I was the only one left who loved these two the most!

Avoiding the demo, can't wait to play it tomorrow.

High five!

Tales has never been able to match those two entries again in my opinion.

RPGCrazied

People are saying its better then Vesperia. I highly doubt that. Its the best in the series. I'm sure its better than Zestiria though.

Azuardo

Another review from my site.

Cubed3: 6/10

Whilst not on the same shaky ground as Final Fantasy XV by any means, despite Tales of Berseria bringing with it a great story, wonderful animation scenes, a sublime soundtrack and voice cast, it lets the side down with its dull environments, lack of engaging puzzles and quests, overly-wordy interactions that go off on pointless tangents, as well as a battle system that is quite hit and miss, resigning many gamers to mere button-bashing to get through most of the adventure. Bandai Namco has managed to deliver yet another solid Tales entry, but not one that will be remembered anywhere near as fondly as past classics, unfortunately.

Necrovex

I prefer to have my visually grotesque scenes. Censorship is a pretty big deal to me, even if it's just one scene.

That being said, the game seems pretty good.

My one main question is this, is the censoring as egregious as it was in Xenosaga 3? I remember there was one pivotal scene that was butchered, to the point of not making sense, due to some major edits.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
My one main question is this, is the censoring as egregious as it was in Xenosaga 3? I remember there was one pivotal scene that was butchered, to the point of not making sense, due to some major edits.

Nah. The same 'event' occurs but in a different way

Looking good, pretty much what I expected. Thought the demo was all right, but happy to see positive reviews and the import thread had good impressions too.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Another review from my site.

Cubed3: 6/10

Having played around 20 hours I agree. The only thing that separates this from the previous entries is a better story. It's still told in the same, by now rather dull way. It's slow, filled with too much talking, too many skits that are nowhere as interesting as they used to be in past games, barren areas, and the same combat as in every Tales game.

I totally get the button masher comment. You can go into the deeper layers of it, and there are many of them, but there is no point or need. I've experimented with difficulty, but at no point did it feel like I needed to do more than just mash buttons. Also, I really think it's a weakness when a game is so badly balanced that you can sail through every combat with your eyes closed. I shouldn't have to trial and error to find a suitable difficulty. These games used to be challenging, now they're insultingly easy.

I wish they'd go back to the overworld, with smaller, better designed areas to visit. This full 3D approach has done nothing but harm to the series imo. Additionally, every game since xillia looks the same. It's gotten boring by now. I need something new.

skypunch

Banned
Played the demo, but didn't really like it. The American voice acting made me cringe and the battle system was a bit boring.

Inuhanyou

Played the demo, but didn't really like it. The American voice acting made me cringe and the battle system was a bit boring.

Jesus christ your really annoying with that, do you know that?

I could atleast understand with Xenoblade because of the first game, but you constantly bring that into game threads that don't even have anything to do with what your complaining about.

You dont even like the Japanese voice acting to boot, are there generally ANY games voice acting that you like outside of Pandora's Tower and Xenoblade?

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member

I could atleast understand with Xenoblade because of the first game, but you constantly bring that into game threads that don't even have anything to do with what your complaining about.

You dont even like the Japanese voice acting to boot, are there generally ANY games voice acting that you like outside of Pandora's Tower and Xenoblade?

The voice acting in Berseria is really dull though, so what's your problem here? Xenoblade C stands out for being amazing and fitting of a fantasy world. This game is just your standard anime fare with the same uninspired actors we've heard a million times before. A lot of the time actors don't even fit the characters. I've seen young guys with gruff old man voices, and vice versa. So many times during this game I've imagined different voices and accents, and it's just made so much more sense. It's like the localization team doesn't ven care.

I guess my main problem is that everyone has a clear american accent though, and to me that is a modern language, and thus doesn't really fit in a medieval fantasy world.

Inuhanyou

The voice acting in Berseria is really dull though, so what's your problem here? Xenoblade C stands out for being amazing and fitting of a fantasy world. This game is just your standard anime fare with the same uninspired actors we've heard a million times before. A lot of the time actors don't even fit the characters. I've seen young guys with gruff old man voices, and vice versa. So many times during this game I've imagined different voices and accents, and it's just made so much more sense. It's like the localization team doesn't ven care.

I guess my main problem is that everyone has a clear american accent though, and to me that is a modern language, and thus doesn't really fit in a medieval fantasy world.

Its not a medieval fantasy world, its completely different from any world that exists anywhere. You should not expect any other type of dub for any reason besides just preference.

And even then, too bad, these are the people who do localization.

The American dub as i've heard it is pretty good. So do i consider it dull? Of course not.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Its not a medieval fantasy world, its completely different from any world that exists anywhere. You should not expect any other type of dub for any reason besides just preference.

And even then, too bad, these are the people who do localization.

The American dub as i've heard it is pretty good. So do i consider it dull? Of course not.

Well, then I must have played something else for the past 20+ hours, cause it looks plenty medieval fantasy to me. And no, it's not good. Not terrible, just uninspired and like every other low budget dub of the past decade. I zone out during a lot of conversations, that's enough for me to call the dub dull.

Edit: It's not that I want british accents, I just want variation. We're traveling from continent to continent, and everyone has the same accent. I just don't buy it. In any case, compare this game to Tales of Vesperie and the job Troy Baker did there, and it's just an entirely different league.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Meh at IGN .They really lost. Giving RE7 lower score compare to CoD of Anime games is dumb imo.

wow have you played and finished both games

Meh at IGN .They really lost. Giving RE7 lower score compare to CoD of Anime games is dumb imo.

If a new Tales game improves on previous iterations, is it not worthy of a better score to reflect that? How can you compare a JRPG to a horror game? Why would you want to? This won't stop anyone who is a fan of either series from enjoying the games. Not to mention they're likely reviewed by separate people, not IGN as an entity. This just seems like a weird comment in general.

Shengar

If a new Tales game improves on previous iterations, is it not worthy of a better score to reflect that? How can you compare a JRPG to a horror game? Why would you want to? This won't stop anyone who is a fan of either series from enjoying the games. Not to mention they're likely reviewed by separate people, not IGN as an entity. This just seems like a weird comment in general.

It's the trapping that common within the gaming fandom. Since numbers usually represent objective measurement, people just instantly take lower score = bad game. This is true to quite extent, but what most people failed to realized is that these scores are varied and different for each genre, reviewer, and so on.

skypunch

Banned

I also like the voice acting in the Dark Souls games, Bloodborne, The Witcher 3, Read Dead Redemption, Half-Life 2, Discworld Noir, Discworld 2, Broken Sword, Fable, The Wolf Among Us, The Walking Dead, and many more.

I just don't like cringe-worthy American anime dubs that cast the same set of voice actors you hear in a plethora of anime and JRPGs.

Durante

You have good taste in voice acting. Another game with great voice acting is Dreamfall.

Good English VA in localized JRPGs is incredibly rare (which is why I refuse to buy ones that don't allow me to play using the original VA) -- the stand-out example of excellent localization and VA in JRPGs for me is still Final Fantasy XII. It's a shame that S-E regressed on that.

Someone is butthurt

Anywho, it doesn't work like that, like, at all, maybe you should investigate a little more.

Or maybe you think there's some sort of "mr. iGN" who aproves everything...

squall23

You have good taste in voice acting. Another game with great voice acting is Dreamfall.

Good English VA in localized JRPGs is incredibly rare (which is why I refuse to buy ones that don't allow me to play using the original VA) -- the stand-out example of excellent localization and VA in JRPGs for me is still Final Fantasy XII. It's a shame that S-E regressed on that.
GC Symphonia's dub is probably my favourite JRPG dub ever.

skypunch

Banned

Never heard of Dreamfall, but just checked it out, and I'm loving the voice work. That's the kind of voice acting I want to hear more of in JRPGs. Looks like my kind of game too, so I'll probably pick that up when it's released on PS4 in March. Thanks.

Knurek

Digital Devil Saga 1/2 and Dragon Quest VIII were great as well.

Mistle

Weird question but can you wear the starting Velvet outfit for the entire game? Or something similar? I can't suspend my disbelief for the standard outfit.. haha

Inuhanyou

I dunno about these opinions man. Its uncommon that i hear a legitimately bad english dub in terms of delivery, but maybe different standards apply

skypunch

Banned
I dunno about these opinions man. Its uncommon that i hear a legitimately bad english dub in terms of delivery, but maybe different standards apply

It sounds like you're just... a bit of a Tales fanboy, tbh, which is why the tone of your reply to me came off a bit abrasive. That's the impression I get anyway.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Weird question but can you wear the starting Velvet outfit for the entire game? Or something similar? I can't suspend my disbelief for the standard outfit.. haha

Yep

There is a difference between bad and "standard dub that sounds like every other anime or cheap dub of japanese game". I just feel it lacks passion. The delivery is okay, but it just feels off. It's like no one cared and just worked on auto pilot. So many times during this game have I just imagine alternate ways of delivering lines to have much better impact.

Top Bottom