• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces (Wii) Tales of VS (PSP), Tales of Vesperia (PS3) JP sites open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Kagari said:
The improvements for Vesperia sound great. Definitely going to get it. Probably will get Versus too.

yea it does. Versus sounds too good, not enough fighting games with RPG characters.

oh and Rpgmonkey, nice OP. So much info.

Datschge

In the past Tales games were never included as "new RPG" on the Namco site afaik, those always refered to non-Tales games.

MechaX

Rpgmonkey said:
I think Grace's system will make a lot of progress at bringing what's usually played like a 2D Fighting game, to something that now plays more like a 3D one.

Something I think Free Run didn't do. It's hardly bad or anything because of it, but I think it moved in a slightly different path than where this seems to be going with a 3D system.

It might play out more like Star Ocean 3/4 with the ability to switch styles, but who knows. Either way, it's good that they're at least attempting to make longer strides with the battle system as opposed to the "Just give them more skills" way of doing things.

wrowa said:
024.jpg

She could possibly be the heroine.
Hope she is!

Need to see more main characters for this game . . . >_>

Jiggy

That Graces girl's design seems better literally every time I see the picture. So spot-on perfect in that she really looks like the type who achieves endearing qualities by a natural appeal that doesn't rely on being overwrought...

Of course, all this would be shot to pieces if she's not a playable character, or if she is a playable character but they stick her with the Tales curse where every girl everywhere has to go crazy over cute animals. But for now, while she has no dialogue to potentially ruin her, I like her a lot.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
rykomatsu said:
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee266/rykomatsu/090406_tales_35.jpg

man...I hope the skits with Flynn in it aren't difficult to get/obscure if he only has a limited role...

I know it will never happen knowing Namco, but I really wish they would give 360 users the added content via DLC.

jeremy1456

Please come to the U.S. Tales of Graces.

If it does I'll buy two copies! Same goes for Tales of Vs.

I still expect Arc Rise Fantasia to be better though...

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Pankaks said:
I know it will never happen knowing Namco, but I really wish they would give 360 users the added content via DLC.

Out of curiosity, did they ever put up the extra stuff that was in Eternal Sonata as DLC?

JaMarco

Jiggy said:
That Graces girl's design seems better literally every time I see the picture. So spot-on perfect in that she really looks like the type who achieves endearing qualities by a natural appeal that doesn't rely on being overwrought...
you can tell all that from a side picture? :lol

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Jiggy said:
Whoa, thanks. If she really is the heroine, she'd be my favorite Tales heroine design pretty easily.

Edit: If she's the one who gets killed, that would really suck. I'd like to hope they wouldn't waste such a good design on an early death scene...
Same here. Really liking her design, I'll be disappointed if she goes away early.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
ZealousD said:
I don't feel like making a new topic about this, but I started playing the original Tales of Destiny on the PS1 a few days ago. I'm not very far into it, but despite being a huge fan of this series since Symphonia I'm just really not feeling the game so far. The combat is really slow and kinda boring and the dialog really seems to be juvenile so far. It honestly doesn't feel like the Tales games I'm used to and love. Does it get any better? I would play the remake but the lack of English dialog is a deal breaker and the translation patch is pretty far out. I'm sorta feeling like giving Eternia a shot though, combat looks a lot better at least.
ToD for the PS1 was very boring IMO too. The remake I hear is very good though. Though I also gave up soon into it and just put it off to anther day when the fan translation for the PS2 version finishes/an English Wii port.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Drkirby said:
I think you meant Fury Sparks:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwH1hPMyVZU

Such a big taunt by using it only once in the game though, such a great song :/

My favorite song in the TOV OST, yea they only did use it once but it was an epic fight in my opinion. (Story spoiler)
Kicking the great Flynn Scifo's commandant ass!

jeremy1456

I can't help but suspect Vesperia PS3 to be the last HD tales game this generation.

I'm predicting all new Mothership titles will be DS or Wii, and all spinoffs PSP.

Jiggy

Case said:
you can tell all that from a side picture? :lol
Yes, I can tell what I like about a character design by looking at a character design.

Edit: By "endearing qualities" I'm talking strictly about appearance. I have no clue what her personality will be like.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
jeremy1456 said:
I can't help but suspect Vesperia PS3 to be the last HD tales game this generation.

I'm predicting all new Mothership titles will be DS or Wii, and all spinoffs PSP.

Eh, I dunno. I'm thinking that the next one by Team Symphonia/Abyss/Vesperia might still be HD.

Rpgmonkey

jeremy1456 said:

We'll have to see. If there's going to be another one I don't expect it to be released (or maybe even announced) until late 2010 anyway.

It already seems pretty obvious that the majority of the series's support this gen won't be for the PS3 and/or 360 though.

jeremy1456

ZealousD said:
Eh, I dunno. I'm thinking that the next one by Team Symphonia/Abyss/Vesperia might still be HD.

Is Graces by Team Symphonia? I really don't know and often confuse the teams.

jeremy1456

Rpgmonkey said:
We'll have to see. If there's going to be another one I don't expect it to be released (or maybe even announced) until late 2010 anyway.

It already seems pretty obvious that most of the series's support won't be for the PS3 and/or 360 though.

Unless Namco opts to do something very different from how they've handled the series this generation it'll probably be announced early next year, and released that winter.

Akai

jeremy1456 said:

Well that would be the logical thing to do, so Namco won't go that way...

Vesperia PS3 sounds like it'll be meaty enough for a double-dip if it's localized, though I can't help but feel that Loli Pirate (as adorable as she is) just doesn't fit...

I also like the Graces "heroine," which it most likely is...Asbel is saying something along the lines of "I thought I could protect everyone" which sorta implies that he is reflecting on his past traumatic event, but who knows...

Rpgmonkey

jeremy1456 said:

Unknown for now, though the common guess is that it's being primarily being made by people that were in Team Destiny.

The first Famitsu article for the latest Tales game seems to always have an interview that usually gives details on the group developing it, so we should have an idea of who's making Graces this week.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
jeremy1456 said:

If the game has been in development for two years already than I don't see how it'd be possible.

Who knows though. Seems like the lines have been blurring a lot between the teams as of late. DotNW and Hearts were crazy mix ups if I remember correctly.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
ZealousD said:
The director (or someone) from Team Symphonia has already mentioned he wants to do another HD tales i think. So it really depends on whether Namco lets them. Of course since Namco's strategy is to put a Tales of something on everything I wouldn't be surprised if we saw another Tales HD game.

jeremy1456 said:

Considering the best selling Tales in Japan in the last 3 or 4 years is a spinoff on the PSP? I say the PSP is the most logical choice for the next tales mothership title and we'll just have to see how ToV sells on PS3 won't we? If it sells well, I have no doubt we'll see more tales on it or at the very least on PS360.

jeremy1456

AranhaHunter said:
Considering the best selling Tales in Japan in the last 3 or 4 years is a spinoff on the PSP? I say the PSP is the most logical choice for the next tales mothership title and we'll just have to see how ToV sells on PS3 won't we? If it sells well, I have no doubt we'll see more tales on it or at the very least on PS360.

I don't think ANYONE is expecting Vesperia PS3 to do well. 100k, maybe? It is a late port after all.

It seems to me that the logical thing for Namco to do is to continue releasing spin-offs on the PSP, and that's exactly what they're doing.

jeremy1456 said:
I don't think ANYONE is expecting Vesperia PS3 to do well. 100k, maybe? It is a late port after all.

It seems to me that the logical thing for Namco to do is to continue releasing spin-offs on the PSP, and that's exactly what they're doing.

100K for Vesperia would be decent in JP, 150K would be good in JP, agree? If it does anywhere around those numbers I think is encouraging, especially when you consider the 360's numbers for the game.

How's putting more spinoffs on PSP the logical thing to do? Again, a spinoff on PSP is the best selling Tales over the last 4 years or so, a mothership title on it makes the most sense, I don't see how you can even argue that.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
I'll be double dipping on Vesperia.

Loved the game but never got around to a second play-through like I wanted. Now I will.

rykomatsu

jeremy1456 said:

Trusty Bell did what...~90-93% of 360 sales on the PS3? I don't think it's unreasonable to atleast see %-wise something similar to ToV 360...granted it moved a lot of systems.

klee123

I think it'll do well similar to how Symphonia did for both GCN and PS2.

Trusty Bell shouldn't be compared due to the fact that it wasn't very well received by the hardcore gamers in general.

jeremy1456

AranhaHunter said:
100K for Vesperia would be decent in JP, 150K would be good in JP, agree? If it does anywhere around those numbers I think is encouraging, especially when you consider the 360's numbers for the game.

How's putting more spinoffs on PSP the logical thing to do? Again, a spinoff on PSP is the best selling Tales over the last 4 years or so, a mothership title on it makes the most sense, I don't see how you can even argue that.

Because Radiant Mythology 2, a spinoff, sold well on the platform. Therefore it makes sense to continue the success with a Radiant Mythology 3, does it not?

100k would be pretty decent for Vesperia, but that's pretty optimistic in my opinion. I really do hope it does well.

A spin-off isn't necessarily the best gauge for how a mothership title will perform, nor are ports of older games.

jeremy1456

klee123 said:
I think it'll do well similar to how Symphonia did for both GCN and PS2.

Trusty Bell shouldn't be compared due to the fact that it wasn't very well received by the hardcore gamers in general.

There were a few PS2 tales games before Symphonia came out. It's pretty obvious that it would sell better on PS2 because the fanbase was already on the Sony console, up until that point they had no where else to go. Furthermore, the Symphonia port was announced even before the GC version was released.

This is not the case this time around.

Rpgmonkey

rykomatsu said:
Trusty Bell did what...~90-93% of 360 sales on the PS3? I don't think it's unreasonable to atleast see %-wise something similar to ToV 360...granted it moved a lot of systems.

More around 70% I think. Like half in NA, and I don't know if the game ever even released in Europe...

With the overall lack of interest late ports usually seem to get this gen and how Tales isn't that popular anymore, I'm not going to make any good guesses on how this will sell. :p

klee123

jeremy1456 said:
There were a few PS2 tales games before Symphonia came out. It's pretty obvious that it would sell better on PS2 because the fanbase was already on the Sony console, up until that point they had no where else to go. Furthermore, the Symphonia port was announced even before the GC version was released.

This is not the case this time around.

We'll see what happens, but I don't think it'll do numbers like ES, due to the fact that Vesperia is a part of a well known franchise.

Then again the tales franchise has been declining in popularity and doesn't sell as nearly as well as it used to during the PS2 days.

Awntawn

rykomatsu said:
I'd imagine a larger percent than Trusty Bell. Gotta think that fan reception plays a role in the sales of a late port, if 100k people buy a game and everyone says it was disappointing, I'd imagine it would sell much less a year later than a game where people say it was a great experience. And the overall reception for ToV seems to be much, much greater than with Trusty Bell ;o

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
AranhaHunter said:

Namco's rationale would be simple, why invest money for a main game when the spinoffs are profitable on the PSP?

Tales of Graces is being developed by the Tales of Destiny team, it their first 3D Tales game looking good so far

finger's cross

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom