• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces (Wii) Tales of VS (PSP), Tales of Vesperia (PS3) JP sites open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryuuga

Banned
Loving the additional goodies that come with the PS3 version of Vesperia. I didn't get the chance to finish it on 360 so I'm hoping the PS3 does make it's way over here. Though I'll probably end up importing regardless.

"Asbel Lhant? Where the fuck do they get this stuff? Is this even a real name in any language?"

While it doesn't sound like a real name for a person, it does sort of suit a name for a gag air freshener. (depending on how you pronounce it)

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Gee, Vesperia was already pretty bloated, do we really need twice the amount of bad anime dialogue?

It is a great game though, so it'll be nice for PS3 only people to try it out.

gantz85

Banned
ThirdEye said:
05.jpg

:lol :lol

Judging by the new shots of Graces in the OP, there will be new trailer up soon.

I saved all of the full-sized versions of the slides and the three direct-feed shots are at their best quality as well.

I can upload them to my flickr account for easy viewing if everyone would like that? :)

Zzoram

Paracelsus said:
Fully voiced? Wasn't the original ToV voiced slightly more than half-voiced? I wonder if that's a good thing localization-wise...

Unless they already dubbed all the main scenario one year ago and now they're just using the material.

Most of the cutscenes on the 360 version are voiced, but a few aren't. It's not a huge deal, but it'll be a nice touch.

Tales of Vesperia is an great game though, the best JRPG I've played in years.

Tucah

you speak so well
Graces looks pretty bad graphically, not a big enough fan of the series to care about it at this point. I'm excited to replay ToV on PS3 with the extras and VS. could be fun too.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Tucah said:
Graces looks pretty bad graphically, not a big enough fan of the series to care about it at this point. I'm excited to replay ToV on PS3 with the extras and VS. could be fun too.

The trailer from last year looks a lot better.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I really hope the sites start revealing more characters in Tales of VS and Tales of Graces The Disco Swordsman soon. I'm a bit conflicted on the lack of Emil in the Tales of VS screenshots, though...while he's one of my most hated characters in the history of anything, he would have made a great training mode dummy. :/

As for Vesperia, the extras sound nice. Too bad I don't have a PS3.

Rpgmonkey

Eteric Rice said:
Partial reality, I don't see the DS on there. :D

It already has more Tales games than any current gen console, and the same amount as the PSP if you don't count the numerous PSP ports. :p

Gotta wait until 2010, chances are it'll get another one.

TreIII

Looking nice. I'm really hoping that Tales of Versus stands to deliver. With 35 characters coming from the various games, that should hopefully make for a nice-sized roster.

Also, the more I hear about Graces and VesPS3, the more I like. Style changes? They really are trying to make sure they hit EVERY SINGLE Fighting game convention out there, aren't they? :D

popolon

Is Sakuraba doing the scores again? Man, I wish he would go back to scoring action games like in the Wolfteam days. His RPG music is starting to sound a little stale.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
I'm amazed by the number of Tales games Namco are churning out every year (and for every platform). It must be their most prevalent and prolific franchise by this point. I couldn't even begin to list them all...

Is Abyss (Jap dub) widely considered to be the high point? Or is Symphonia the favourite?

Eteric Rice

Cataferal said:
I'm amazed by the number of Tales games Namco are churning out every year (and for every platform). It must be their most prevalent and prolific franchise by this point. I couldn't even begin to list them all...

Is Abyss (Jap dub) widely considered to be the high point? Or is Symphonia the favourite?

I think Abyss, but not by much.

Dascu

I think Graces looks alright? It's a step up for Dawn of the New World at least (real shadows this time!).

Then again, they'll probably have to pay me in order to play a Tales of game again, after the cringefest that was Tales of Symphonia.

LiK

Dascu said:
I think Graces looks alright? It's a step up for Dawn of the New World at least (real shadows this time!).

Then again, they'll probably have to pay me in order to play a Tales of game again, after the cringefest that was Tales of Symphonia.

whoa, i hope you're not referring to the original one on the Gamecube. i loved the original ToS.

Dascu

LiK said:
whoa, i hope you're not referring to the original one on the Gamecube. i loved the original ToS.
Sorry to break your heart. I still cut myself every day for buying that game at full price.

MechaX

popolon said:
Is Sakuraba doing the scores again? Man, I wish he would go back to scoring action games like in the Wolfteam days. His RPG music is starting to sound a little stale.

No kidding. The last all around good OST he did was Valkyrie Profile 2 (Or Baten Kaitos 2, whichever came first). The "Bu-bu-but he does good battle themes!" mantra is kinda wearing thin at this point, especially when even those are starting to sound highly derivative.

Give that man a break and give some one else a chance to compose.

Eteric Rice said:
Partial reality, I don't see the DS on there. :D
Probably because they ruined their chances on the DS with the garbage that was TotT and as a result the rest of the DS main series Tales get outsold by a PSP spinoff.

zeelman

MechaX said:
No kidding. The last all around good OST he did was Valkyrie Profile 2 (Or Baten Kaitos 2, whichever came first). The "Bu-bu-but he does good battle themes!" mantra is kinda wearing thin at this point, especially when even those are starting to sound highly derivative.

Give that man a break and give some one else a chance to compose.

Agreed, there's plenty of composers who could take his place. I wish that guy who composed Tales of Legendia's soundtrack would do another. That game had the best soundtrack in the entire Tales series.

rykomatsu

LiK said:
i'm confused, are you referring to the skits? because all the skits in the 360 one are fully voiced. they have skits for everything you do in the game which i thought was great. i really love them because they do such a great job developing the characters.

Of the 6 books worth of script, 1 supposedly is for skits, 1~2 is new dialogue (there were events w/o dialogue before), and the remaining 3 are from the 360. A lot of it is redoing the 360 version so that Patty can be integrated into the story according to one of the JPN gaming sites.

LiK

rykomatsu said:
Of the 6 books worth of script, 1 supposedly is for skits, 1~2 is new dialogue (there were events w/o dialogue before), and the remaining 3 are from the 360. A lot of it is redoing the 360 version so that Patty can be integrated into the story according to one of the JPN gaming sites.

ah, thanks for the info.

Jiggy

Sakuraba did well in Symphonia, Abyss, and whatever he contributed to Dawn--I can say that because pretty much everything in Dawn was great and was just about the only strength of that game--but Vesperia not so much. :/ The whole soundtrack's rather forgettable. On the other hand, lately I've been listening to the Phantasia soundtrack and it simply slaughters the best of Symphonia/Abyss/Dawn combined, with hit after hit consecutively, and almost no weak pieces. It's really a shame he doesn't seem able to pull off something like it again.

speedpop said:
How did Vesperia fare? I haven't touched a Tales game since Symphonia, and Phantasia before that.
Despite its soundtrack, best game ever made. Not just best Tales--though even that would mean a lot coming from me considering how much I love Symphonia. Best game. In fact, I could only have one choice out of Tales of Vesperia and any one of my favorite non-Tales series in its entirety, there are at absolute most two game series I'd take. Everything else could be wiped from history as long as I could keep my ToV.

All in all, I kind of like Tales of Vesperia a little bit.

Darackutny said:
I wonder if it is just me, but I really miss the days when I wasn't aware of who was going to join my party.
Eh... often I feel like that, but with Graces I do really want to see the heroine already, since the Disco Swordsman deserves a cool partner.

wrowa

Jiggy said:
Eh... often I feel like that, but with Graces I do really want to see the heroine already, since the Disco Swordsman deserves a cool partner.
024.jpg

She could possibly be the heroine.

Jiggy

Whoa, thanks. If she really is the heroine, she'd be my favorite Tales heroine design pretty easily.

Edit: If she's the one who gets killed, that would really suck. I'd like to hope they wouldn't waste such a good design on an early death scene...

Datschge

Hm, the R&D producer who introduced Tales of VS., Ryuuji Ohdate (大舘 隆司), was also R&D producer on (only) RM 1&2 and ToI. This ought to make guessing the developer of that game rather easy...

Jiggy

By "the whole soundtrack" I don't mean every individual piece; maybe "overall soundtrack" would have been a better term. I love Around The World and Fury Sparks way more than Dahngrest, though that's also a good piece of music. But aside from those three, Capua Nor/Torim, and Zaphias, I can't remember any music from Vesperia despite having poured over 150 hours into it.

rykomatsu

Jiggy said:
By "the whole soundtrack" I don't mean every individual piece; maybe "overall soundtrack" would have been a better term. I love Around The World and Fury Sparks way more than Dahngrest, though that's also a good piece of music. But aside from those three, Capua Nor/Torim, and Zaphias, I can't remember any music from Vesperia despite having poured over 150 hours into it.

The only one I remember is...i think the battle music used when you're forced to
fend off mobs w/ Flynn, Repede, and Yuri
and the map music for some reason (probably since it sounded somewhat similar to part of SO4 OP.

Namco had Oogami Masako compose for Venus & Braves (think she's still at namco too) which had a stunningly gorgeous sound track, but not sure if it would fit in with To games that well.

Aru

Datschge said:
Hm, the R&D producer who introduced Tales of VS., Ryuuji Ohdate (大舘 隆司), was also R&D producer on (only) RM 1&2 and ToI. This ought to make guessing the developer of that game rather easy...

Alfa System ;_;

darth_vader_noooo1.jpg

Datschge

Aru said:
Alfa System ;_;

Well, looks like Tales Studio is (also?) involved:

6rromq.jpg

And the trailer shown at the event seems to look just like the one for RM2 by Taketoshi Inagaki (稲垣 武俊), with the mix of screens, illustrations and slanted texts. And the game seems to have 2D sprites battles as well?

30c13x5.jpg

Shiggy said:
What does it that shot mean?

They are shifting focus from the 360 to the PS3, while leaving the same amount of focus on the PSP and Wii.
At least, that's what I assume with my limited understanding of graphs.

Hmm, given the screens and info derived Graces sounds interesting conceptually. Can we assume that the styles in question and the mention of the protecting motif may indicate a use of offensive/defensive switches? I've hadn't had much exposure to Tales of games(found symphonia ok from start to end) but is the Graces lead design being similar to the Code Geass lead so bad? I think its a good idea, it'll likely catch more people's attention at home on that point. Besides like most games when we see everyone else the clothes are just a in context thing...most of the time though.

Urban Scholar said:
Hmm, given the screens and info derived Graces sounds interesting conceptually. Can we assume that the styles in question and the mention of the protecting motif may indicate a use of offensive/defensive switches? I've hadn't had much exposure to Tales of games(found symphonia ok from start to end) but is the Graces lead design being similar to the Code Geass lead so bad? I think its a good idea, it'll likely catch more people's attention at home on that point. Besides like most games when we see everyone else the clothes are just a in context thing...most of the time though.

Seems to be:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/969/969893p1.html

As detailed last week, players take control of 18-year-old Asbel Lhant. Namco Bandai still hasn't shared specifics on the story, but did clarify today that the game takes place in a world split into three kingdoms whose civilizations were built around some sort of material known as Eris.

The game's battle system is known as the "Style Shift Linera Motion Battle" system. The "Style Shift" part of the name comes from the fact that you can switch your characters between multiple stances during the fight. Combat also allows players to pivot around their targeted opponent like in a fighting game.

One note for those expecting some wacky Wiimote motion controls. The game will apparently be playable both with the Wiimote/nunchuck combo or with just the Classic Controller Pro. It's unclear if the Pro is required or if the standard Classic controller will work just as well.

Firestorm

neojubei's posts in this topic about Vesperia PS3:
neojubei said:
Good to hear.

awesome.
neojubei said:
neojubei said:
Not really, since I plan to import it and if it is released in NA, I plan to buy that version too.
neojubei said:
Didn't the game already sell poorly?
neojubei said:
Acutally it would sell better in Japan but sales would be poor everywhere else. And to add we have yet to see a multiplatform RPG released on the same day on both systems. If ToV came out in Japan on PS3 and 360, the sales would probably be better than only on 360.
neojubei said:
That's good to know.
neojubei said:
Sweet. Something to look forward to when I get the game.
(neutral) neojubei
is embarrassing.
(Today, 07:19 AM)
Reply | Quote

To get this straight... you have a 360, did not buy Tales of Vesperia, but can't wait so you're going to get both the JP and NA PS3 versions if possible?

Firestorm said:
neojubei's posts in this topic about Vesperia PS3:(neutral) neojubei
is embarrassing.
(Today, 07:19 AM)
Reply | Quote

To get this straight... you have a 360, did not buy Tales of Vesperia, but can't wait so you're going to get both the JP and NA PS3 versions if possible?

Perhaps he was waiting because it was obvious that the game would end up on the PS3 with exclusive content no less?

And he wants to buy two region versions to support BN because of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom