• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces (Wii) Tales of VS (PSP), Tales of Vesperia (PS3) JP sites open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Looks fantastic honestly. The motion is really good looking, and the battle effects are awesome. The environments are really impressive, and look as good as I would expect from the hardware in the hands of art directors and a 3D team that doesn't suck balls. It definitely looks like ToG will be using the ToH "world" system with everything being interconnected by paths and large fields, instead of using a world map. At the same thing it has the art direction and environment detail of ToV, which makes it really impressive looking as a 3D game. Cool.

Coxswain

That looks really good. I don't like any of the characters shown (in fairness: The only Inomata-designed Tales character I like the look of is Rutee, and I didn't think Yuri looked very interesting based on the Vesperia trailers), but it looks like a neat approach to the combat system and the detail on everything is really nice. I kind of wish they could toss the assets into the Vesperia engine and get a quick 360/PS3 up-port, because I know a lot of the impressiveness isn't going to translate from Youtube to my TV, but that's not even close to a dealbreaker.

darkwings

Banned
Dascu said:
Such a pity this is a Tales of game. The battles look kind of fun and the size and detail of the areas are impressive, but I just know the story and characters are going to be cringe-worthy animu drivel.

And yet Tales of Vesperia has the least cringe worthy story then all other jrpgs so far this gen.

MechaX

darkwings said:
And yet Tales of Vesperia has the least cringe worthy story then all other jrpgs so far this gen.

That says more about the state of current gen jRPGs, especially considering that Vesperia still fell to the usual cliches.

Anyway, after watching a good quality trailer, consider me hyped. Again, it seems like a bigger step up than the successive Team Symphonia games have been. What little story has been shown looks to be standard fare, but doesn't Team Destiny use a different set of cliches than what Team Symphonia games usually rely upon?

duckroll said:
Looks fantastic honestly. The motion is really good looking, and the battle effects are awesome. The environments are really impressive, and look as good as I would expect from the hardware in the hands of art directors and a 3D team that doesn't suck balls. It definitely looks like ToG will be using the ToH "world" system with everything being interconnected by paths and large fields, instead of using a world map. At the same thing it has the art direction and environment detail of ToV, which makes it really impressive looking as a 3D game. Cool.
Agreed. Fantastic stuff.

I just love how the speed of the 2D games has made the transition, and I was worried about the battle effects, but they look really great. Can't wait for this, really.

Coxswain

darkwings said:
I dunno, Vesperia's actual story ran out of steam as soon as the first act was over, then totally fell off a cliff halfway through the second.
What it had though was a really awesome cast of characters, which does a lot to distract from how much of a trainwreck the plot became. As an overall cast, I thought it was a tossup between Vesperia and Persona 4 as far as which group I thought was more likable, and that's pretty good with or without any "oh yeah, this gen, wah wah wah" theatrics.

darkwings

Banned
Coxswain said:
I dunno, Vesperia's actual story ran out of steam as soon as the first act was over, then totally fell off a cliff halfway through the second.
What it had though was a really awesome cast of characters, which does a lot to distract from how much of a trainwreck the plot became. As an overall cast, I thought it was a tossup between Vesperia and Persona 4 as far as which group I thought was more likable, and that's pretty good with or without any "oh yeah, this gen, wah wah wah" theatrics.

yeah I know, but he singled out Tales games as they had the worst stories around. Not true imo as Tales of the Abyss shits on most rpgs when it comes to a good story.

Sagitario

WOW! It looks awesome... and the battles :D :D :D! Can't wait for it!

Hopefully it will be released here, I mean... Hometek should know by now the average userbase size of the Tales series after DotNW, ToV, TofW, TotA and ToL...

I said this back in april, I think Hometek should put an Atlus/XSEED and bring VS and RM2 [there is no hope for ToI and ToH... Hometek and DS don't mix :p]...

Edit: The stars from ToV are back... I think that's the only thing I'm happy they're reusing as far as enemies models go [that and the Sword Dancer, if only... and a few of the new ones from DotNW]

batbeg

It looks sooo good. The environments are ridiculous, with a beautiful art direction and a great camera that just really makes it look like something else. It's a huge step up from Symphonia/Abyss/DotNW, and is really attractive.

And of course, the battles... side-steps :D I remember there was some excitement when we thought there was side-stepping in DotNW, and so to finally have it for real feels soooo gooood!

Rpgmonkey

Looks nice. They may not break the bank with some kind of huge graphical budget, but Tales Studio usually makes up for it by usually having some really fantastic art direction.

Battles look cool. The thing I like most is still the smooth motions and camera angles. Switching between attacks looks pretty smooth and not really awkward at all.

kiryogi

Banned
It really does look like a Team Destiny battle system. :lol Will America finally get to experience a Team Destiny game?

Fuu said:
Thanks, neo.

I'm digging the battles, they look very quick paced. The sidestep and backstep look lovely, nice that there's a section of the video dedicated to them.

Known as Around Step actually.

Magicpaint said:
Agreed. Fantastic stuff.

I just love how the speed of the 2D games has made the transition, and I was worried about the battle effects, but they look really great. Can't wait for this, really.

Effects are ok, still doesn't compare to the older 2d ones, but if I recall they ended up losing the guy in charge of that awhile back.

Firestorm

Oh god battle system looks too good =D Wish it were using Vesperia's engine but whatcha gonna do. I really hope the teams are working together more though. I really want the stuff from this game (+motion cap from DotNW) to carry over to future titles.

kiryogi

Banned
Sigh, amusing but it really is funny how a lot of the new posts are crying about how it's not the Vesperia engine or not in HD etc. etc. :lol

Rpgmonkey

Hero of Legend said:
I'm surprised that Vesperia didn't have MoCap. Wonder why they decided to let the Wii games use it instead?

Just a guess, but I'm going to say Vesperia's development budget/plan wasn't enough to include motion capture, or the budget/plans for the project came before Tales Studio started moving their 3D console games towards it.

The team's next game will likely use it.

kiryogi

Banned
Hero of Legend said:
I'm surprised that Vesperia didn't have MoCap. Wonder why they decided to let the Wii games use it instead?

Well, KoR's case was more of a last minute polish up. The one year delay was it? that KoR had was the time they decided to really take it seriously and do what they can to make it on the level of a mothership Tales. Meaning the mocap, all that voice and more.

edit: Tho on another note, the games always had mocap, but it was more of a matter of what quality. If you ever check the credits, they're always crediting motion capture.

Firestorm

kiryogi said:
Sigh, amusing but it really is funny how a lot of the new posts are crying about how it's not the Vesperia engine or not in HD etc. etc. :lol
What can I say, I like pwettyful things.

Hero of Legend said:
Pretty sure DotNW development started after Vesperia.

Akai

The game looks surprisingly solid in it's non-YouTube form...Nice detail (almost as if they gave Sophie pigtails just so they could play around with animating it) and a battle system that looks fresh and fun to play...

kiryogi said:
Effects are ok, still doesn't compare to the older 2d ones, but if I recall they ended up losing the guy in charge of that awhile back.

Isn't he one of the Tales guys that left for ImageEpoch?

Hero of Legend said:

Probably to experiment just in case it turned out to be a total disaster...

Jiggy

Dascu said:
Such a pity this is a Tales of game. The battles look kind of fun and the size and detail of the areas are impressive, but I just know the story and characters are going to be cringe-worthy animu drivel.
MechaX said:
That says more about the state of current gen jRPGs, especially considering that Vesperia still fell to the usual cliches.
I had this huge post written up, but eh... I really don't want to convey the impression that story is anything except highly immaterial to my game experience, so I'll just say this.

I usually feel split with Tales because I have conflicting thoughts on the characters and stories.

Thing is, game characters are only entertainment to me. I don't want originality; I don't want believability; I don't want admirability; I don't want empathy. I want absurdity. I want over-the-top strange. I want casts of relative lunatic weirdos. I want the most unintentionally parodical experience possible--and the more "realistic" the characters are, the less I'll be invested in their adventure. At every turn, I want them and their endless fountains of nonsensical quirk to delay, derail, or destroy every last instance of seriousness as it appears. I'll be happy with cliches every time as long as they're non-serious cliches.

But I usually don't like Tales plots, independent of their characters; already it worries me that Asbel has ties to nobles and that Graces has political tension or some such, because I really don't want to deal with it. I'm almost never going to take a game story seriously, and even less often will I do that if the story wants me to take it seriously; in those cases I just end up feeling bitter. Racism, the intrinsic value of life and living, war, cloning, political diplomacy, vigilanteism, environmental issues--I hate it all, and it's a big reason that the Tales main heroes don't often appeal to me. Just let me on a merry quest to unlock elemental seals with my band of kooks and get Undine, Sylph, and Gnome yet again.

Datschge

Akai said:
Isn't he one of the Tales guys that left for ImageEpoch?
Nope, those were all from Team Symphonia. He's probably thinking of Yoshiyuki Ozaki who did effects in ToD2 and ToS, left and then reappeared in tri-Ace's VP2 years later. Team Destiny dedicated staffer for effects after that was Ayumi Otsuki, Team Symphonia's is Natsuko Taki, but ToS:KoR and ToH added plenty new staff in that area.

Noteworthy may be that the mocap staff seems to be shared NBGI wide, at least the ones credited in ToS:KoR, Trusty Bell and Fragile are plenty similar.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
alright, my internet has been sketchy, and now that i have access to the thread, i have a revise of my theory. Now, i'm assuming that Red is a bit more serious than i thought (edit: i mean she's a bit jaded). my prior opinion stands, but from her apparent dialog i'm thinking that her relationship to DISCO DUDE is more intimate than i had originally thought (whether that means sister, close friend, or lover i have no clue). however, i still maintain a very similar opinion of her character. she's a straight up sly type tsundere. her speaking lines near the end painted her as such. i'm still expecting some sly, flirtatiously spunky behavior, but expect more of a serious character. no timidness here.

oh, and i still think she's coward, and not the timid kind, the "fuck this shit, i'm getting out of here" kind of coward.

Firestorm

Hey guys. Thanks for ruining a perfectly okay character with your creepy ass analyses. Hope the redhead dies within 5 minutes and everyone forgets about her.

Arde5643

Firestorm said:
Hey guys. Thanks for ruining a perfectly okay character with your creepy ass analyses. Hope the redhead dies within 5 minutes and everyone forgets about her.
Doesn't matter - either way this game is mine day 1 and I'm gonna play it for 40 hours before saying "fuck this! I hate JRPGs" like I always do with JRPGs.

Akai

Firestorm said:

Don't go taking your frustration out on Red... =(

Firestorm said:

But, she's a robot... She can't die.
:O

Is it cool for me to say that its looking impressive? I totally won't mean it even though I like the whole hand to hand to weapon switch on the fly going on. Oh and not the environments either because they look as lush as abyss(which is more than good in my book) to me. But um hey if we are still hating on nonsensical matters never mind me. :lol

Firestorm said:
Umm, Lil Red looks to be in much more than the first 5 mins.

She looks like a party member. Most likely the next character to be "revealed" with a role and what not.

So yeah, crushed la hope!

Gilgamesh

Battles look fantastic, especially the backstepping and sidestepping. It seems instantaneous, so it looks much more fun (and effective) than Vesperia's frustratingly delayed blocking.

Sagitario

Rpgmonkey said:
I figure most of the interest has moved to Graces, but I don't think anyone posted the Vesperia PS3 and VS images:

http://www.famitsu.com/game/coming/1225128_1407.html
http://www.famitsu.com/game/coming/1225123_1407.html

I'm really liking the TotA costumes :p ...
At first I thought the green monster was a Giganto, but it has a secret mission attached so it must be main quest/story related...
And the new areas look nice...

And I'll be importing VS...

Firestorm said:
2918834309_9627e83d6f.jpg

Rpgmonkey

Vesperia trailer, I assume at least a few people in this thread are still really interested in this game.

http://zoome.jp/A9VG/diary/44/

Repede - Lightning Moment
Estelle - Ultimate Elements
Rita - Indignation

Indignation feels so phoned in now, been a good while since I liked the spell's animation/effects. Kinda wish they'd go for something original instead of trying to make it a Mystic Arte again.

Rpgmonkey said:
Vesperia trailer, I assume at least a few people in this thread are still really interested in this game.

Rita - Indignation

Indignation feels so phoned in now, been a good while since I liked the spell's animation/effects. Kinda wish they'd go for something original instead of trying to make it a Mystic Arte again.

DLC for xbox360 please :(

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Rpgmonkey said:

Rita - Indignation

Still debating on importing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom