• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of the Abyss 3DS Confirmed for NA by Nintendo Power

daffy

Banned
May 1, 2009
10,964
0
0
Daytona Beach!
Loto said:
Maybe Namco is waiting for E3 to announce any Tales news. A summer release would be awesome though.
I'm betting this is the case. ToGf release date/quarter and TotA release in late summer, maybe late August. It'll get alot more attention there if they announce it all at once.
 

carlo6529

Member
Apr 9, 2009
1,534
2
640
Ottawa
This never was localized right? I remember being upset about that. Am I correct to say that? I heard it was a better tales game also.
 

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Dec 7, 2007
8,267
1
0
carlo6529 said:
This never was localized right? I remember being upset about that. Am I correct to say that? I heard it was a better tales game also.
It was localized and it was a Team Symphonia game so (IMO) it was one of the lesser Tales games.
 

daffy

Banned
May 1, 2009
10,964
0
0
Daytona Beach!
Princess Skittles said:
It was localized and it was a Team Symphonia game so (IMO) it was one of the lesser Tales games.
Tales of Symphonia was my favorite Tales game until Vesperia came out. Team Symphonia isn't that bad are they?

Generally favorable reviews on Metacritic as well.
 

daffy

Banned
May 1, 2009
10,964
0
0
Daytona Beach!
Pureauthor said:
Different people like different things.
NO! YOU'RE WRONG INTERNET PERSON! UNIVERSAL ACCLAIM!

I know, I was just asking why he said Team Symphonia was an indicator of bad quality. Metacritic link was for my ego
 

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Dec 7, 2007
8,267
1
0
FTH said:
Tales of Symphonia was my favorite Tales game until Vesperia came out. Team Symphonia isn't that bad are they?

Generally favorable reviews on Metacritic as well.
Well, that's my personal opinion. I far prefer Team Destiny's games as put a much larger focus on the gameplay/battle system, which is I why I originally fell in love with the Tales series. Their games are also faster paced and leaner. Team Symphonia's game put a larger emphasis on the characters and story. I feel they are slower paced, have clunkier battle systems and tend to be fairly bloated.
 

Jeels

Member
Nov 18, 2009
9,209
0
0
Sugar Land, TX
twitter.com
FTH said:
NO! YOU'RE WRONG INTERNET PERSON! UNIVERSAL ACCLAIM!

I know, I was just asking why he said Team Symphonia was an indicator of bad quality. Metacritic link was for my ego
Tales of Symphonia is basically the FF7 of Tales, and so a lot of older Tales fans do not like Team Symphonia titles as much as the others.
 

Firestorm

Member
Feb 2, 2006
33,832
0
0
Vancouver, BC
nuggetbridge.com
duckroll said:
So... TotA manga and 3DS port in the US this year, ToG-f in the US by the end of the year, ToV movie and ToV PS3 in the US next year, and ToX in the US by the end of next year? Total Tales revival? If the rumor is spread, it might come true!
wait what
what did i miss
 

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Dec 7, 2007
8,267
1
0
Jeels said:
Tales of Symphonia is basically the FF7 of Tales, and so a lot of older Tales fans do not like Team Symphonia titles as much as the others.
Nah, I don't think that's it. When Symphonia came out it was only the fourth game in the series, it wasn't like there was a huge legacy to have a younger/older crowd.

The unfortunate thing is that the US has never had a Team Destiny game released in English. The closet is Tales of Destiny II/Eternia which was technically before the team split but it really "feels" like the start of where the Team Destiny games would evolve from there with ToD2/ToR/ToDR.
 

SaintZ

Member
Dec 5, 2008
5,145
0
0
34
Mexico
twitter.com
Yay! I don't want to get my hopes up since this is Namco we're talking about but I really hope this is true. Never got a chance to play the original and everybody says this is the best Tales so I really want to check this out.
 

DR2K

Doesn't buy fighting games to actually play them
Jun 6, 2009
22,193
52
985
33
Houston
The fact that there are no other RPGs on the 3DS could mean Symphonia like sales for Abyss.
 
Oct 22, 2008
48,174
0
0
Va
tristtrist.tumblr.com
The Praiseworthy said:
Hearing any news related of releasing Tales game in the west put so much joy in me.... now if we only could have anything for Graces F that would be great, two months passed and yet still nothing.... I will feel so angry if they didn't release it before the fall.
Well they havent seemed to say anything (regarding release dates) on any titles for this year beyond Naruto Kizuna Drive, Ridge Racer 3D, Dual Pen Sports and Exerbeat Wii and some iOS games...essentially nothing for the spring/summer/fall but stuff for 2012 (Inversion)...so surely their silence goes beyond Graces F.
 

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Mar 2, 2010
20,614
0
0
The Land of Bagged Milk
Princess Skittles said:
Well, that's my personal opinion. I far prefer Team Destiny's games as put a much larger focus on the gameplay/battle system, which is I why I originally fell in love with the Tales series. Their games are also faster paced and leaner. Team Symphonia's game put a larger emphasis on the characters and story. I feel they are slower paced, have clunkier battle systems and tend to be fairly bloated.
I feel the same way.

I don't mind Team Symphonia's games, and they all have their pros: better dungeon design and somewhat better and longer narratives. But the battle systems feel easier and clunkier in comparison to Team Destiny's. Tales of Hearts had an awesome system, though (didn't Team Symphonia work with Team Destiny on that one?). I love Tales of Hearts--it's up there with Rebirth, Vesperia and Graces for me. Narikiri Dungeon X was pretty good, but I think the same people who did Hearts worked on that one.

Team Destiny's systems are spectacular. The battle systems are different in each game, and they're faster. More features in games, great hi-ougis and less recycled moves from game to game. Tales of Graces F's style-shift battle system is probably one of the best battle systems I've ever experienced. Better than Rebirth's, imo. And Rebirth's was really good. But Team Destiny can be lacking too: so-so dungeon design (some of the dungeons in ToG are a little boring), and the narratives are shorter compared to the Symphonia games.

Am I the only one who isn't really "feeling" Tales of Xillia? Perhaps I'm too used to the look of Graces and Vesperia, but there's just something about that game that feels "off" to me.
 

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Dec 7, 2007
8,267
1
0
I consider the shorter and simpler narratives another positive to Team Destiny's games. There's nothing more obnoxious, narrative-wise, than the half dozen of false climaxes/endings in Symphonia/Abyss/Vesperia. And since every Tales game is pretty much B or C-tier anime plots, it's really difficult to muster the ability to care about it for the 60, 80 or 100 hours they're asking you to.

Again, that's just my opinion and one I know will not be agreed with as most fans play Tales game to enjoy those tropes.
 

Rpgmonkey

Member
Sep 29, 2007
6,794
0
0
This needs to happen.

This seems to be the definitive version of Abyss I've been waiting to show up and I need a convenient way to access it.

Dark Schala said:
Am I the only one who isn't really "feeling" Tales of Xillia? Perhaps I'm too used to the look of Graces and Vesperia, but there's just something about that game that feels "off" to me.
Since the first trailer I've been switching between "uninterested" and "sort of excited".

Guess Tales doesn't get the same level of hype it used to have out of me anymore. That or I'm starting to lose interest in playing JRPGs on consoles.
 

NotebookJ2

Member
Oct 19, 2010
987
0
0
Princess Skittles said:
I consider the shorter and simpler narratives another positive to Team Destiny's games. There's nothing more obnoxious, narrative-wise, than the half dozen of false climaxes/endings in Symphonia/Abyss/Vesperia. And since every Tales game is pretty much B or C-tier anime plots, it's really difficult to muster the ability to care about it for the 60, 80 or 100 hours they're asking you to.

Again, that's just my opinion and one I know will not be agreed with as most fans play Tales game to enjoy those tropes.
Even Abyss, which arguably had the worst pacing out of all Team Symphonia's games, could be beaten under 50 hours without doing any sidequests. Where are you people getting these numbers from? Not saying that they don't need to be shorter but I never heard of anyone needing 100 hours to beat a storyline for any Tales game.
 

madara

Member
Jun 8, 2004
8,623
0
0
Definitely one of higher quality Tales games. I never wanted it to end and enjoyed every darn second. Sigh, epic jrps how i miss thee.
 

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Apr 17, 2007
29,342
1
0
Princess Skittles said:
The unfortunate thing is that the US has never had a Team Destiny game released in English.
Uh, Tales of Destiny and Tales of Eternia were both brought over.

I think comparing Tales of Symphonia and FF7 is pretty apt, myself.


farnham said:
its namco dude

they love to leave money on the table
Not only that, they also like to set that money on fire.

And then that fire spreads to the table.

And then they go "See! That's why we can't localize Tales games!"
 

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Dec 7, 2007
8,267
1
0
NotebookJ2 said:
Even Abyss, which arguably had the worst pacing out of all Team Symphonia's games, could be beaten under 50 hours without doing any sidequests. Where are you people getting these numbers from? Not saying that they need to be shorter but I never heard of anyone needing 100 hours to beat a Tales game.
I am pretty sure my times for all three Team Symphonia games were at least past the 80 hour mark to varying degrees. Now, I do tend to "savor" the battle system in these games a lot so I'm definitely not just running through each area/dungeon to get to the next cutscene. But, playing the exact same way in ToE/ToD2/ToD (shame: never finished ToR), where I'm probably savoring the battle sytems MORE since I love those ones so much, usually puts me in the early 40 hour mark.

ZealousD said:
Uh, Tales of Destiny and Tales of Eternia were both brought over.
Those aren't "Team Destiny" games (technically). There wasn't the team split until after ToE was released.
 

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Mar 2, 2010
20,614
0
0
The Land of Bagged Milk
Princess Skittles said:
Again, that's just my opinion and one I know will not be agreed with as most fans play Tales game to enjoy those tropes.
I thought most Tales players played the games for the battle systems and the narrative was secondary?

Tales games can be cleared quickly, but I take my time with the battle systems too, so my clear times tend to be high. I think I spent a ton of hours in Graces just battling, unlocking difficulties and mastering Aliases rather than just progressing through the game.


Rpgmonkey said:
Since the first trailer I've been switching between "uninterested" and "sort of excited".

Guess Tales doesn't get the same level of hype it used to have out of me anymore. That or I'm starting to lose interest in playing JRPGs on consoles.
Yep. I don't know what it is, but I can't get into Xillia like I did for Graces and Vesperia. There's something that makes those games "pop", but Xillia seems "off" in comparison. I want to be excited for it, but there's something holding me back.
 

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Jun 7, 2004
21,120
0
0
I'd probably buy a 3DS to play this. The PS2 version was only ever acceptable to play using an HD loader of some sort. The load times really were that irritating.

I would easilly rank the game as one of the best in the entire series though. Vesperia being up there as well. At the time of release, it WAS the best entry in the Tales lexicon bar none. I'd happily revisit it, ahead of some of the gutter trash 'Tales' releases that have come since on lesser platforms.
 
Aug 30, 2009
12,189
0
0
I enjoyed Tales of the Abyss. Although I'm glad this may come over, I don't know if I can play it all over again.

At least Graces is coming. :)
 

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Apr 17, 2007
29,342
1
0
RedSwirl said:
So is there still any reason for me to start the PS2 copy I've had sitting around for a few months?
This still isn't 100% confirmation. I'd hold on to it for now.
 
Dark Schala said:
But Team Destiny can be lacking too: so-so dungeon design (some of the dungeons in ToG are a little boring), and the narratives are shorter compared to the Symphonia games.

Am I the only one who isn't really "feeling" Tales of Xillia? Perhaps I'm too used to the look of Graces and Vesperia, but there's just something about that game that feels "off" to me.
Yeah, the dungeon design has a lot to be desired from sometimes, but it's better than more block puzzles or Sorcerer's Ring puzzles (Sorcerer's Ring is in some of the Team Destiny games, but at least the use is minimal.)

Hard for me to get excited for Xillia too, need to see a full gameplay trailer, plus considering that it's most likely using a Team Symphonia battle system, it's hard for me to get excited for it when Graces f's battle system was amazing. They need to top that. Plus I'm not digging the look of the graphics so far either, preferred Vesperia's style, but of course it might change when I actually see more of it in motion.
 

NotebookJ2

Member
Oct 19, 2010
987
0
0
Princess Skittles said:
I am pretty sure my times for all three Team Symphonia games were at least past the 80 hour mark to varying degrees. Now, I do tend to "savor" the battle system in these games a lot so I'm definitely not just running through each area/dungeon to get to the next cutscene. But, playing the exact same way in ToE/ToD2/ToD (shame: never finished ToR), where I'm probably savoring the battle sytems MORE since I love those ones so much, usually puts me in the early 40 hour mark.
Something seems off here... but regardless minus sidequest crap and 100%ing everything TS games really shouldn't take that long to beat.

Dark Schala said:
I thought most Tales players played the games for the battle systems and the narrative was secondary?
That's what they want you to think.

FSLink said:
Yeah, the dungeon design has a lot to be desired from sometimes, but it's better than more block puzzles or Sorcerer's Ring puzzles (Sorcerer's Ring is in some of the Team Destiny games, but at least the use is minimal.)
Must've been one of a few people who actually enjoyed the dungeon puzzles in Symphonia. Shame.
 

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Apr 17, 2007
29,342
1
0
I play the Tales games mostly for the battle systems, but the characters and story should be good too. If all I wanted to do was battle, I'd stick to playing games like Bayonetta or what have you.
 

Datschge

Member
Sep 23, 2006
5,149
0
1,150
Zee-Row said:
I thought the original Tales games were developed Wolf team.
Namco Tales Studio is pretty much the same developer formerly called Wolfteam, it just changed its parent company. Of course staff came and left over the time, and most of the ToP SFC staff happened to leave to form tri-Ace shortly later. But Wolfteam respectively its parent company Telenet Japan had way more staff than that, plenty of who still work on Tales games (mainly the "Team Destiny" ones).
 

From The Dust

Banned
Oct 4, 2010
5,555
0
0
NotebookJ2 said:
That's what they want you to think.
not me. story and characters are very important to me. I can and will (haven't yet) drop a game for bad characters. I came close to that with Symphonia. I really don't like Lloyd or Colette
 

matmanx1

Member
Apr 30, 2008
7,133
0
0
Ga
I don't know how much of a "confirmation" this really is when it could just be some misinformed PR for an anime release. It's definitely too early for me to get my hopes up yet but I'd love for it to be true. It certainly would be a wise move by Namco, that's for sure.
 
Jul 15, 2009
11,803
2
755
New York City
From The Dust said:
not me. story and characters are very important to me. I can and will (haven't yet) drop a game for bad characters. I came close to that with Symphonia. I really don't like Lloyd or Colette
I'd love to see your reaction to Symphonia 2's characters.

(Actually, Tenebrae made it all worth it.)
 

From The Dust

Banned
Oct 4, 2010
5,555
0
0
Why would you do that? said:
I'd love to see your reaction to Symphonia 2's characters.

(Actually, Tenebrae made it all worth it.)
I decided not to pick it up when it came out. don't know if I will now since I only have 2 more wii games to buy (Crystal Bearers and Arc Rise; maybe) before I shut myself up to cure my backlog.
 

Poyunch

Member
Dec 29, 2009
15,193
0
690
I'd buy Dawn of the New World over Crystal Bearers. All Crystal Bearers has going for it is a fun story, pretty graphics, and an in-game screenshot function. The actual game sucks.
 

From The Dust

Banned
Oct 4, 2010
5,555
0
0
PounchEnvy said:
I'd buy Dawn of the New World over Crystal Bearers. All Crystal Bearers has going for it is a fun story, pretty graphics, and an in-game screenshot function. The actual game sucks.
eh, I kinda want to follow through on my hype. even if it crashes and burns. oh yea and Sonic Colors
 

Bebpo

Banned
Jun 7, 2004
30,396
1
0
38
Orange County, CA
Rpgmonkey said:
Since the first trailer I've been switching between "uninterested" and "sort of excited".

Guess Tales doesn't get the same level of hype it used to have out of me anymore. That or I'm starting to lose interest in playing JRPGs on consoles.
Nah, I think they just need to put out a decent trailer for the game at some point :p Vesperia's trailer was GOOD and got people hyped for it. Graces trailer was bad and no one card until they played it and it was good.