• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of the Abyss 3DS Confirmed for NA by Nintendo Power

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Update: Since a Mod decided to update the title without the OP, I figured I do a quick update myself. To be blunt, it is just like the title says, the latest issue of confirms Tales of the Abyss for the 3DS is coming out, no date is specified, but late summer is likely if the old info is truly actuate.

/update

New topic for new news!

First, about the title being Stealth Confirmed for North America. I was browsing Amazon to see if the TotA anime had come out in North America yet, and say there was a Manga that popped up in the search. So I decided to take a look at the description when something caught my eye.

(Has some game spoilers in it, just skip to the bolded if you care about those)

Amazon said:
Asch is the lost prince of a country torn asunder by prophecy. Cloned and replaced by a new prince, Asch finds himself amongst the ranks of God-Generals, fighting to destroy the very prophecy for peace that his clone will fulfill. War, magic & science clash, but at their heart stands Asch the Bloody. Tales of the Abyss: Asch the Bloody is a manga adaptation of a story line from the "Tales of the Abyss" video game license. Their property, a video game RPG much like the Final Fantasy franchise, has spun off dozens of successful sub-properties in Japan and the US over the past 2 decades. This manga adaptation from the POV of one of the series most popular characters, is timed for release alongside the US release of the series' anime adaptation. This series premiere will also match that of franchise's RPG title debut on Nintendo 3DS.

Publisher: Bandai Entertainment (August 16, 2011)
Language: English

Also, since the Manga is already out in Japan, it backs it up the line is talking about the English release.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1604962984/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Also, while on the topic of Tales of the Abyss 3DS, Andriasang is reporting the Japanese release has been delayed though, so the NA release could also come out later then August.

The 3DS version of Tales of the Abyss won't be making its May 19 release date. Namco Bandai announced a delay today without providing a reason. The game's new date is TBA.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/posts/2011/04/05/270530/

Don't know if I would take this as a confirmation just yet. Stuff like this has happened before and ended up being false. Still hoping of course.

Takao

Banned
If that's a confirmation than when Natsume said they were looking at Medabots DS I should already be playing it by now.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
What do you guys want, a fuzzy photograph of a printed spread sheet full of Namco titles? I don't think Brandi's marketing department would say it coincides with the release of the English dub of the Anime and the release of the 3DS version if they weren't planning on releasing the 3DS version in North America. This manga has been out for over two years in Japan also, so its not like it is some left over translated text.

Well this is dandy, my 3ds will be sitting doing nothing until June now.

To add to the conversation: I believe TOA has an earthquake scene in it doesn't it?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Drkirby said:
What do you guys want, a fuzzy photograph of a printed spread sheet full of Namco titles? I don't think Brandi's marketing department would say it coincides with the release of the English dub of the Anime and the release of the 3DS version if they weren't planning on releasing the 3DS version in North America. This manga has been out for over two years in Japan also, so its not like it is some left over translated text.

Namco is just really, really dodgy about Tales releases. A fuzzy photograph of a printed spread sheet full of Namco titles would ALSO not suffice as confirmation.

Remember, they threw the Tales of Vesperia logo into that dumb mishmash teaser website thing only for us to discover that they had no intention of bringing the PS3 version of the game over.

Hell I'm still not even 100% sure that Tales of Graces F is coming over considering we haven't heard a damn peep since the announcement.

Drkirby said:

Could just be a fuck up from someone at Amazon.

Gravijah

ZealousD said:
Hell I'm still not even 100% sure that Tales of Graces F is coming over considering we haven't heard a damn peep since the announcement.

THEY LIED ABOUT VESPERIA PS3 AND THEY LIED ABOUT GRACES F! ;(

Takao

Banned
Gravijah said:
THEY LIED ABOUT VESPERIA PS3 AND THEY LIED ABOUT GRACES F! ;(

You will be able to play the Vesperia
movie
BD on a PS3 thanks to Funimation next year.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Takao said:
movie
BD on a PS3 thanks to Funimation.

Funimation confirmed they were bringing over First Strike? When was this?

Gravijah

Takao said:
movie
BD on a PS3 thanks to Funimation next year.

Ah well, this reminds me that I need to drag Vesperia back out in a few months and finish it. Life got in the way a few years back while I was playing it.

Oh, and some bastard spoiling it for me. :'(

duckroll

So... TotA manga and 3DS port in the US this year, ToG-f in the US by the end of the year, ToV movie and ToV PS3 in the US next year, and ToX in the US by the end of next year? Total Tales revival? If the rumor is spread, it might come true!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
duckroll said:
So... TotA manga and 3DS port in the US this year, ToG-f in the US by the end of the year, ToV movie and ToV PS3 in the US next year, and ToX in the US by the end of next year? Total Tales revival? If the rumor is spread, it might come true!
And TotA anime is coming too, in July.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
duckroll said:

There should also be a rumor about Tales of Rebirth and Tales of Hearts localization.

Takao

Banned
Drkirby said:

Certainly helps that both Borders and Amazon are getting that PR info from Diamond Distributor who makes these lovely mistakes in their description:

KEY SELLING POINTS:
• Tales of the Abyss is a console roleplaying game released by Namco Bandai in Japan and
North America in 2006. Created in 1995 by Tomonobu Itagakithe, the Tales of the Abyss
series
now spans over twelve flagship titles, over fifteen side games, and four animated
productions — into several types of game genres.
• On the 10th anniversary of the game, Tales of the Abyss has been turned into a 26-episode
anime series
by Sunrise (Gundam, Code Geass). The anime will be released in North
America by Bandai Entertainment in 2011.
• The Tales of the Abyss game will be re-released for Nintendo 3DS in 2011.

I didn't know we were in 2016 already. Who would have guessed the Gizmondo 2 outsold both the PlayStation Pocket and 3DS combined.

Okay Japanese blog just posted the scene that would give a valid reason as to why it's delayed

Horrible translation of the scene:

Jade: Faris island isn't it? It was destroyed by a tsunami due to the complete exhaustion of HODO

- A town can be this torn up by a tsunami!?

- Water's power is a frightening thing.

Miu: Miu can't swim, if another Tsunami comes Miu will be in quite a bind!

- Most of the people in this town weren't helped.

duckroll

Takao said:
Certainly helps that both Borders and Amazon are getting that PR info from Diamond Distributor who makes these lovely mistakes in their description:

The only mistake there is the confusion between the "Takes Of" series and Abyss as a single game. Not a big deal really.

Takao

Banned
duckroll said:
The only mistake there is the confusion between the "Takes Of" series and Abyss as a single game. Not a big deal really.

Well, it should be noted that the last bullet point doesn't specify where Tales of the Abyss will be released in 2011. For both the PS2 game, and anime series it specifies North America as the release region.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
They also get the year of the game off (It came out December 2005 in NA), and it would be the games 5th Anniversary and not 10th.

duckroll

Takao said:
Well, it should be noted that the last bullet point doesn't specify where Tales of the Abyss will be released in 2011. For both the PS2 game, and anime series it specifies North America as the release region.

That's also true. I'm just saying!

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Oh please be true. Been hoping we'd see Abyss localized, absolutely loved the game, far more than symphonia (though vesperia takes the cake for me.)

Takao

Banned
Drkirby said:
They also get the year of the game off (It came out December 2005 in NA), and it would be the games 5th Anniversary and not 10th.

GameFAQs says it was released October 2006 on PS2 in North America. It says Japan got it December 2005. ;P

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Takao said:
GameFAQs says it was released October 2006 on PS2 in North America. It says Japan got it December 2005. ;P
Well then I stand corrected. Being half a month off for the Japanese release isn't that bad when trying to make a quick summery.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Synless said:
Tri-ace???? What??
Tri-Ace makes Star Ocean. They were also founded by former members of Wolfteam, which made Tales of Phantasia for the Super Famicom.

My gut says though the founding members of tri-ace aren't with the studio anymore though, the Star Ocean remake has a fairly different tone then the original release.

Edit: Actually, if Wikipedia is right, it seems TOSE made the Star Ocean remakes. That would explain the tone difference.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
duckroll said:

And Graces Wii is left to rot in Japan. :/ Hooray.

Tailzo

wrowa said:
Damn, I was weak and bought a European 3DS. Why? :(
This is exactly what I feared when I first heard that the 3ds was region locked. This is awful for us rpg gamers.

Jarmel

Banned
FINALFANTASYDOG said:
Miu: Miu can't swim, if another Tsunami comes Miu will be in quite a bind!

- Most of the people in this town weren't helped.

I know I shouldn't have laughed at this but I did. I think it's the third person speech and the straightforward BAD END.

MechaX

Sir_Crocodile said:
Hasn't it got loads of bugs that were fixed for the ps3 version or somesuch?

The bugs got fixed on later Wii reprints. With that said, Graces F is still superior in every way.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I optimistically accept this as confirmation.

Top Bottom