• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of the Abyss 3DS Confirmed for NA by Nintendo Power

Beasting with Guy in English on the couch while I watch my world news?

guycecil.jpeg

Yes

Synless

Drkirby said:
Tri-Ace makes Star Ocean. They were also founded by former members of Wolfteam, which made Tales of Phantasia for the Super Famicom.

My gut says though the founding members of tri-ace aren't with the studio anymore though, the Star Ocean remake has a fairly different tone then the original release.

Edit: Actually, if Wikipedia is right, it seems TOSE made the Star Ocean remakes. That would explain the tone difference.
No, I knew all that. I was making reference to the random mention of Tri-ace by that poster.

Kyoufu

I never liked TotA. Maybe it was the mediocre anime-level voice-acting, or the battle system wasn't up to my standards of awesome. Definitely didn't click with that game.

I wonder why they chose TotA for 3DS?

Man God said:
Everyone involved keeps being coy about the platform it is showing up on.
Probably because they want to surprise everyone by having it on two consoles. Then again, they outright lied about Vesparia PS3.

Foffy

Banned
Does the 3DS version have any know additions? Or is it a by-the-numbers port? I might get it, if there's some cool additions...and IF this is true.

Please be true. I'm willing to give you my money, Namco...):

duckroll

Kyoufu said:
I wonder why they chose TotA for 3DS?

The only options were ToS and TotA really, and ToS was already re-released once in Japan for the PS2, so that makes TotA the only Tales game which has not been ported before. It's in 3D, it's PS2-spec, it has never been released before, there's product synergy worldwide with the manga and the anime. It's the perfect choice!

Kyoufu

DarthButcher said:
Never had a PS2

stare-o.gif

duckroll said:
The only options were ToS and TotA really, and ToS was already re-released once in Japan for the PS2, so that makes TotA the only Tales game which has not been ported before. It's in 3D, it's PS2-spec, it has never been released before, there's product synergy worldwide with the manga and the anime. It's the perfect choice!

You make too much sense :(

Foffy said:
Does the 3DS version have any know additions? Or is it a by-the-numbers port? I might get it, if there's some cool additions...and IF this is true.

Please be true. I'm willing to give you my money, Namco...):
Looks like a basic port. A shame, but as I never played the game, it's of no problem for me

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It has the best possible feature already announced:

DRAMATICALLY REDUCED LOADING TIME.

TotA is a pain to play today.

Paracelsus

Man God said:

*cough*

And this solution is dramatically cheaper. Still, it can't be played everywhere but eh.

Drkirby said:
Tri-Ace makes Star Ocean. They were also founded by former members of Wolfteam, which made Tales of Phantasia for the Super Famicom.

My gut says though the founding members of tri-ace aren't with the studio anymore though, the Star Ocean remake has a fairly different tone then the original release.

Edit: Actually, if Wikipedia is right, it seems TOSE made the Star Ocean remakes. That would explain the tone difference.

Yoshiharu Gotanda is one of the three founders of tri-Ace, and he is the president of the company and the head of R&D. Masaki Norimoto, one of the other three founders of tri-Ace, is also still with the company (he wrote the story for Resonance of Fate and supervised Valkyrie Profile DS). Joe Asanuma is not part of the company anymore.

And what do you mean by "tone difference" anyways? Having beaten both the original Star Ocean and the remake multiple times, their tones are not very different at all. Regardless of TOSE developing the Star Ocean remake and the Star Ocean 2 enhanced port, they are still very much the same as the originals, and there are very few differences between them and their originals (other than Star Ocean 1 being remade with Star Ocean 2's engine of course).

I didn't really like TotA, but I only played it for a little bit. I feel like I didn't give it enough of a chance.

Considering how Tales-starved I am, I'll definitely be getting this game. I'm happy that it was at least somewhat confirmed for here.

Great, I cant wait. Now if only Namco Bandai Games would speak of the Tales games instead wasting time on live action trailers and fight sticks. (its also interesting that they didnt mention the trailer for Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3...)

Aeana

pje122 said:
We already got this game... really wish they would localize ToD:R, ToR, ToD2, etc instead...
The fact that the game has already been translated is the only reason it would be coming out in the first place.

KAL2006

Banned
3DS not being region free is going to kill us PAL gamers off, this is just the start I expect many games not making it to EU, there are plenty of DS games that never came to EU but those games could have easily been imported, it's a shame this won't be possible with 3DS.

wsippel

Banned
KAL2006 said:
3DS not being region free is going to kill us PAL gamers off, this is just the start I expect many games not making it to EU, there are plenty of DS games that never came to EU but those games could have easily been imported, it's a shame this won't be possible with 3DS.
Europe always had more piracy than any other region. That's actually the main reason many games never came out here. As long as the 3DS remains secure, this won't be an issue.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
I'll probably skip, I wasn't the biggest fan of it the first time around.. certainly not enough to warrant a replay.

Aeana said:
The fact that the game has already been translated is the only reason it would be coming out in the first place.
Pretty much, although I think it may have gotten through if it wasn't by being a launch window game.

duckroll

Princess Skittles said:
Pretty much, although I think it may have gotten through if it wasn't by being a launch window game.

In Europe maybe. Remember Namco USA didn't even bother with a ToE PSP release even though it was launch window and already translated.

Aeana

duckroll said:
In Europe maybe. Remember Namco USA didn't even bother with a ToE PSP release even though it was launch window and already translated.
I thought they tried and SCEA denied because lolports?

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
duckroll said:
Sony US also had a pretty hard-line stance against releasing straight PS1 ports to the PSP.

duckroll

Oh yeah, I forgot all about that. I guess we'll never know if they would have released it anyway if they could have.

Wow Namco, you're so cool. Bringing over all these games now... I applaud your marketing department.
(That was half-sarcasm and half-not)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Princess Skittles said:
Sony US also had a pretty hard-line stance against releasing straight PS1 ports to the PSP.

Don't remind me about the PSP ports of Breath of Fire III and Suikoden I + II that we never got. :(

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
ULTROS! said:
Don't remind me about the PSP ports of Breath of Fire III and Suikoden I + II that we never got. :(
If only those games were published by Square-Enix we might have got them. :(

Man God said:

Yeah, god was the overworld terrible because of that. I dreaded every time I had to venture out into it.

As awesome as it might sound to see the port of an already translated game come out, Scamco has pretty much conditioned me to not believe it till I see the product on sale first hand. :[

farnham

Banned
Sir_Crocodile said:
Hasn't it got loads of bugs that were fixed for the ps3 version or somesuch?
bugs were only in the new game plus part of the game

ps3 version has some additional content though
duckroll said:
And English-speaking Tales fans will still get to play the best and most complete version. So nothing of value was lost!

not everyone has a ps3 and i imagine some people might want to play ToG even if they dont own it. if they have a localized version there is no reason not to release it on the wii too .

not that i care. i bought my japanese ToG and I will only buy the localized version if it has the additional content ported from ToGF over (which i doubt)

Paracelsus

farnham said:
not everyone has a ps3 and i imagine some people might want to play ToG even if they dont own it. if they have a localized version there is no reason not to release it on the wii too .

not that i care. i bought my japanese ToG and I will only buy the localized version if it has the additional content ported from ToGF over (which i doubt)

PS3-Wii is the logical way to go if they don't want to miss on sales from both sides (was it only Wii or only PS3 there would still be a way to let the "screwed" userbase have a translated version, so). It wouldn't help building a decent fanbase for ToX but it's not like there's much to do so late in the generation.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The Mana Legend said:
Yoshiharu Gotanda is one of the three founders of tri-Ace, and he is the president of the company and the head of R&D. Masaki Norimoto, one of the other three founders of tri-Ace, is also still with the company (he wrote the story for Resonance of Fate and supervised Valkyrie Profile DS). Joe Asanuma is not part of the company anymore.

And what do you mean by "tone difference" anyways? Having beaten both the original Star Ocean and the remake multiple times, their tones are not very different at all. Regardless of TOSE developing the Star Ocean remake and the Star Ocean 2 enhanced port, they are still very much the same as the originals, and there are very few differences between them and their originals (other than Star Ocean 1 being remade with Star Ocean 2's engine of course).
Strange, I edited the post but it isn't there. Must of not hit the submit button, so I'll just resummarize it.

Your right, Tone is completely the wrong word. What I don't like is the redone graphical style of the game. I also had some stuff written up about not liking the changes to the sprites in the PS1 version of Tales of Phantasia, and liking the slightly more mute color pallet to the Super Famicom versions of Tales of Phantasia/Star Ocean. I just really liked the graphical style those two games had over their remade versions.

Also, there was enough of a demand for the PS2 version that Namco actually made a reprint of the game a few months ago. Though because Namco is Namco, the reprint was only distributed to Gamestop, and they sold the copies as used.

I thought they tried and SCEA denied because lolports?
Yep, same with the Mega Man Legends Ports.

Hearing any news related of releasing Tales game in the west put so much joy in me.... now if we only could have anything for Graces F that would be great, two months passed and yet still nothing.... I will feel so angry if they didn't release it before the fall.

Paracelsus

The Praiseworthy said:
Hearing any news related of releasing Tales game in the west put so much joy in me.... now if we only could have anything for Graces F that would be great, two months passed and yet still nothing.... I will feel so angry if they didn't release it before the fall.

If someone forced me to bet, I'd place mine on "they only started this year, the extremely early announcement was just a polite form of cease and desist to the fantranslation project".

Paracelsus said:
If someone forced me to bet, I'd place mine on "they only started this year, the extremely early announcement was just a polite form of cease and desist to the fantranslation project".

Deep down I know this is true..... but dammit a Tales game need to be released in a time which there is no other game coming around it so all my focus can be directed to it, releasing it in the fall will be a disaster because so many big games are coming too :(

a summer release will be perfect in so many ways.

Loto

Maybe Namco is waiting for E3 to announce any Tales news. A summer release would be awesome though.

Thats great and all but I would much rather see Namco focus on releasing Tales titles that have not already been released over here yet. I already have/played Abyss on PS2, does this have any extras?

Top Bottom