• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of the Abyss 3DS Confirmed for NA by Nintendo Power

matmanx1

Slightly related but I've been playing Tales of the World Radiant Mythology lately and very much enjoying the interactions from the characters from the different Tales games but none more so than Luke and Tear. I know they aren't everyone's cup of tea but I find myself chuckling at them and how they treat and react to everyone else.

Also, Tear is my favorite Priest companion for mission running at the moment and I finally got Luke to give me his Boots enhance recipe yesterday. I only need Senel to give me the Knuckles enhance and I'll finally have them all.

I'm extremely pleased that ToA 3DS is on tap but I certainly wouldn't mind it if we got some of the other Tales of the World games localized into English. For a portable Tales title it's got alot to like.

Thoraxes

Small little thing... If you go to the "Tales Series's" Facebook page, Namco/Filthierich have posted a scan on their page of the first two pages of the section in NP.

Left side reads: "The moderin RPG classic Tales of the Abyss is about to be retold on the Nintendo 3DS. Yes, Even in America!"

I mean I know we confirmed this already, but if anyone who doesn't get NP wanted to read it, their Facebook page now has an image.

Thoraxes said:
Small little thing... If you go to the "Tales Series's" Facebook page, Namco/Filthierich have posted a scan on their page of the first two pages of the section in NP.

Left side reads: "The moderin RPG classic Tales of the Abyss is about to be retold on the Nintendo 3DS. Yes, Even in America!"

I mean I know we confirmed this already, but if anyone who doesn't get NP wanted to read it, their Facebook page now has an image.

is it this page?
http://www.nintendopower.com/images/NP267_Tales.jpg

Sagitario

NotebookJ2 said:
It's not exactly news about the game itself but I thought it was interesting. It does have spoilers for the game so beware.

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/06/23/tales-games-arent-rpgs-says-tales-of-the-abyss-producer/

I was thinking of making this another topic but it would probably degrade into another JRPG vs. WRPG topic. It does confirm what I've been thinking about the Tales games and JRPGs on a whole and how to "evolve" them.

A new genre has been born: CPG
:p
Well, that was an interesting read. I think it's nice/cool for the games to have a theme (something something RPG), but to call it its own genre is silly.

Can't wait for portable Abyss.
Tear <3
0401.jpg

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Any date on this one yet?

Plinko said:
Any date on this one yet?

Only '2011' for both NA and Europe at the moment.

This and Tales of Graces F are going to be at the Japan Expo next weekend though, with the promise of new information on both titles.

I read everything but the spoiler part.

I find it interesting that he feels that what separates Tales from other RPGs isn't the battle system, but the characters. The reason why I love Tales is pretty much solely because of the battle system (and also because I feel like the game doesn't take itself seriously all the time).

SaintZ

NotebookJ2 said:
It's not exactly news about the game itself but I thought it was interesting. It does have spoilers for the game so beware.

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/06/23/tales-games-arent-rpgs-says-tales-of-the-abyss-producer/

I was thinking of making this another topic but it would probably degrade into another JRPG vs. WRPG topic. It does confirm what I've been thinking about the Tales games and JRPGs on a whole and how to "evolve" them.
Heh, his explanation sounds a little pretentious and I don't agree with it personally but that's just me. Still it is an interesting read. I never had the chance to play TotA so this is going to be the first game I'll get when I buy the 3DS.
The reason why I love Tales is pretty much solely because of the battle system (and also because I feel like the game doesn't take itself seriously all the time).
Precisely.

Yeah, I thought it was a little pretentious as well. On the other hand, I see where he's coming from. I mean, I definitely see the potential for the series to be like that, but it's often kinda sidetracked though for things that make money like pandering. It's not like I can blame them for doing that though if it makes money, but I think the, uhm, "CPG" format still has a lot of untapped potential.

Or I could be talking out of my ass here.

At least we can all agree the battle systems are fun and are probably more signature to the Tales series than its stories at least.

matmanx1

Fady K said:
For the few of you who are curious, if you haven't heard already, Famitsu gave this a 31/40.

Found this over at the Tales Union page commenting on the difference between the original 36/40 and the new 31/40.

"The majors complaints lowering the score was the lack of any major updates outside of the previously NA-only content and some issues reading the smaller fonts due to the 3DS's smaller screens. However, they did like the faster loading times and the ease of use with the touch screen commands."

Fady K

Dedication Through Light said:
What did the txt say?

Thanks to matmanx1 for the info above :]

Here is some more info I found, from 1up.com based on the famitsu review -
1up said:
- Tales of the Abyss (8/8/7/8, 31 points): The 3DS port of Namco's PS2 RPG scores quite a bit lower than the original, which Famitsu gave straight 9's in 2005. Judging by the review text, this is mainly due to a lack of new features apart from the 3D gimmick. "It's always nice to play a portable RPG with all of this voice work," one reviewer said. "It's well-made and doesn't feel old, but there also hasn't been much added to it, although touch-screen skill selection on the bottom screen is nice."

"The story unfolds in epic fashion," another added, "and the large number of skits adds depth to the tale. However, some of the text displays are pretty small, including the status screen. The delay in changing viewpoints on the field map is also annoying."

something else on gamefaqs

"Score: 8, 8, 7, 8. 60 hours clear time, or 100 hours for those who explore the depths. The reduced load times make the game more user friendly, one reviewer said. Other reviewers said that the touch screen adds some convenient features, for battle special moves and cooking shortcuts. One reviewer noted that while the fundamentals are unchanged, leaving the feeling of freshness, Abyss fans will find something new as the 3DS version is based off the US PS2 version, which added new specials and other features over the Japanese PS2 version."

Fady K

Dedication Through Light said:
What do they mean by changing viewpoints on the field? Switching characters?

I didn't get that myself. My question is - for the very few of us who own Abyss on the PS2 but have not yet played it - would it be better to pick this up on the 3DS instead?

Synless

Fady K said:
I didn't get that myself. My question is - for the very few of us who own Abyss on the PS2 but have not yet played it - would it be better to pick this up on the 3DS instead?
For the framerate and load time improvements alone I would say go for the 3DS version.

Negator said:
Sorry if old, but did they add voices to the skits? Or is that something we won't find out until the NA release?

No, they aren't adding any extra VA to the game.
It'll be the PS2 game with better loading and framerate.

Negator

AceBandage said:
No, they aren't adding any extra VA to the game.
It'll be the PS2 game with better loading and framerate.
That's disappointing. The skits felt bland and lifeless coming from playing Vesperia first. Oh well, at least I won't have to play with the horrible load times.

M3d10n

I never played this on the PS2 and I've been itching for a RPG to play on the 3DS so it's an instant purchase for me.

Firestorm

Fady K said:
Yes if only to not deal with the loadtimes.

Top Bottom