• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Vesperia out in 2 days, you buying?

RPGCrazied

Its probably my favorite Tales of besides Legendia.

It kinda sucks though the new scenes aren't even voiced by Troy Baker. He said he wasn't even asked. I'll get over it. I have to support this remaster.

Now go remaster Legendia and Abyss.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Oh, hell yeah!!! It will keep me busy until RE2Remake and KHIII comes out.

Edit: it would be nice if future Tales games had same art direction as Vesperia. I would love to see them use same engine as Ni no Kuni 2.

Last edited:

Fujan

Hell yes, it'll be the main RPG I'll play before KH3.

After Symphonia my second favourite Tales.

Dada55000

Probably. Game's one of my favourites. Maybe not now since I don't have time to play it. Plus, wanna wait to see if the PC port needs patching/is good.

-MD-

I'll be honest, the $50 price point is pretty ridiculous for such an old game, even one I consider to be the best JRPG from that generation.

I'd love to revisit it but certainly not for that price, I'll pick it up when it's discounted a bit. I've already preordered Resident Evil 2 anyways.

Boss Mog

I'll be honest, the $50 price point is pretty ridiculous for such an old game, even one I consider to be the best JRPG from that generation.

I'd love to revisit it but certainly not for that price, I'll pick it up when it's discounted a bit. I've already preordered Resident Evil 2 anyways.

It's $50 in the US? The MSRP is 40€ here with many stores selling preorders at 30€. I was able to preorder the Premium Edition for 38€ so I'm happy.

Kamina

Golden Boy
It's $50 in the US? The MSRP is 40€ here with many stores selling preorders at 30€. I was able to preorder the Premium Edition for 38€ so I'm happy.
What country? I see it for 49,90€ on Amazon.de and the Premium Edition is 80...

Last edited:

Pejo

I complained and championed the US PS3 version for so long, I'd be a huge hypocrite if I didn't buy it.

Klayzer

Can't wait. I have both Xbox and PS3 versions. With Last Remnant and TOV remastered, my last gen jrpg favorites wishes are complete. Now if only Cross Edge would be remastered...

manfestival

It was probably the most disappointing Tales game I have ever played. Probably cause people kept way overhyping the game. Also Yuri is a trash character. Berseria and Xillia are better but I guess this is an ok experience for anyone that wants to try a tales game.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It was probably the most disappointing Tales game I have ever played. Probably cause people kept way overhyping the game. Also Yuri is a trash character. Berseria and Xillia are better but I guess this is an ok experience for anyone that wants to try a tales game.
Don't ever let other people hype the game for you. I get hype for games based on gameplay footages I see, the art direction or my history with the game.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
I might. Best tales of game. I’ve tried playing them since but pretty much hated the cast of the newer games with the overly feminine males. Yuri and the dog were awesome

Last edited:

KiteGr

As a European...
The first Tales game I've played was Tales of Eternia on the PSP.​
I've got close to the end, but I stopped playing at some point there and after a long of time I forgot all it was about. I found it good for it's time.​
The second Tales game I played was Graces F.​
I finished both the main game and expansion. The combat was good, but the story was absolute trash, and the graphics looked like a Wii game. (it actually was a Wii game in Japan, but it was so buggy that Nam was forced to recall it) There was so much anime melodrama here that made me almost quit anime. (now I only watch a couple carefully selected series)​
The third game I've played was Symphonia on PS3.​
I've been playing it so slowly that I still haven't finished it. The story is good, but the graphics are supper dated, the world map is questionable at best (what's wrong with this Camera and lag!) and the direction is as usual cheesy anime.​
I almost got berseria, but I've heard it was censored and that rised my buyer's remorse through the roof. I'm not touching stuff like these until they release a "balls to the wall" edition or someone makes an uncensor patch.​

And here we are... I don't particularly like the series. It's way to anime-ish, with all the bad aspects that entrails in story, acting and direction. The combat in Graces was good, but it seems that isn't always the case. If Namco and Squer"soft" ever bothered to release their RPGs in the European continent, and I had been introduced to them from an earlier age, things would have been different. In fact, I find it suspicious that they only decided to bring their RPGs here when the region coding was abolished by Sony, as if they actively didn't want us to play them.

Having said that, I can't say no to retail "Definitive Editions". It imply's that it'll be a complete version of the product, and that it'll have all DLC on a physical format. I don't have faith that I will like it.... as with the other cases, both I and the game are to old, but still it's higher on my lists than RE2 or KH3 for the reasons above.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I'm on the fence. Where does Vesperia rank among the Tales games?

*edit- never mind, just saw this is not getting Pro/X support, so I'll pass.

Last edited:

Shifty

Naw, I still have a freshly-wrapped 360 copy that I never got around to playing.

I've seen a lot of love for the game but ehh, it's another TP-based battle system.

bigedole

This is where I'm at too. I played and beat it on 360 and I'm definitely down to play the remaster, but not for $50. I'll wait until after I've beaten KH3 and ToCS 1 and it will probably have dropped price by then, 30 or lower and I'll bite.

Graciaus

Not for that price. I've played it already and can't justify it without a huge sale. I am interested hearing the sub and seeing the new content eventually.

Vawn

Banned
50$ Fuck outta here

It’ll be 15$ in the next PlayStation flash sale. Wait

If it wasn't for Switch, I bet it would have launched at $29.99 for PS4 and Xbox. But, they know it will sell best on Switch, so they're better jacking up all the prices to justify the price only Switch users will accept.

Cornbread78

If it wasn't for Switch, I bet it would have launched at $29.99 for PS4 and Xbox. But, they know it will sell best on Switch, so they're better jacking up all the prices to justify the price only Switch users will accept.

HealthyCornyAmazontreeboa-small.gif

Vawn

Banned

You cant see why they don't want to release the same game on the same date and charge $30 on two consoles and $50 on the other?

It's best to just release it at the highest price it will sell on the console they plan to sell the majority of copies. Don't piss off your main market - especially when that market is poor at judging what a product is worth.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
I’d be surprised if it sold more than 50k across all three consoles in North America... to say that it will sell best on Switch like it’s a given is hopeful and doesn’t mean much when you consider the niche appeal for the game and it being priced in the “rip-off” tier.

Wait till flash sale. Give it a month and it’ll be 80% off

Last edited:

Fbh

Once it goes on sale.
Borrowed it from a friend a long time ago and, while I remember liking it, something else came out and I was getting frustrated by a boss which came after a lengthy unskippable cutscene which I had to rewatch every time I lost and I ended up returning it without finishing it

But I'd be willing to give it another go.
If nothing else I remember it being the last Tales of game where it felt like they went all out with the production values.

OldGamer

I just played it one year ago, assuming it would never be localized beyond an exclusive.

It's a fun game with an interesting enough plot, though it doesn't seem to thematically coalesce resulting in a more uneven narrative.

These Tales games are unashamedly anime and while that is not a barrier to me I know it can otherwise be a hurdle.

Also, the platinum requirements are very steep in this one, particularly regarding getting every costume. A few are utterly ridiculous unless you are playing with guide in hand and research the plat requirements ahead of time. One truly silly one is having the dog character mark his territory over the entire world map with vague indications on where each zone is.

Dada55000

...I was getting frustrated by a boss which came after a lengthy unskippable cutscene which I had to rewatch every time I lost and I ended up returning it without finishing it

Hehe, good old gattuso. He's quite infamous. I wanna say they made him hard because he's the final fight in the old ToV demo on 360, but don't quote me on that. Then once you beat him, your character says he was easy. Troll devs.

You can fastforward the speech bubbles if you hold down X or A, I think. Don't know if the game ever tells you that.

Considering it but may wait.

I remember when I played the demo on the 360 and had my arse handed to me (found out that they just put one of the hardest sections in the game).

Funny story, when I went to look for it in second hand shops, they were offering the game for £70!!! (It either didn't do well that it had a low prunt run or it was a coveted game that used copies was rare). It eventually went down to £20 just before the PS4/XB1 lajnch but by then I had losg interest, so hopefully this remaster will be something I get in the next few months. :)

Just noticed the above comment and that Rings a Bell (pun!). That frustrated me as it was my first Tales of experience and it soured me for years. I own a few games now but never beat any!

Last edited:

Terra_Ex

When it's on a deep discount, found this entry severely overrated personally. Give me Abyss and I'll be there day 1.

Isa

Its all downloaded and ready to go. I'm looking forward to it, as I never got to play it as my 360 died back then. I hoped for the PS3 version to make its way over but alas, it was never to be. Now I'll be playing on my X. The price is definitely steep though.

Guess Im the only one buying the Xbox version........ Still sadden that it didn't get the X treatment. Same goes for the PS4 Pro too.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm getting the Switch version. I loved playing Tales of the Abyss on the 3DS, so more portable Tales sounds awesome.

Top Bottom