• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Vesperia out in 2 days, you buying?

Petrae

Waiting for a sale on this. Might’ve bitten at launch if it had Xbox One X enhancement to 60 frames, but now I can wait for a PlayStation Store Flash Sale and get it for $20 down the road for my old-ass PS4.

No interest in a Switch version since I never undock my unit and I prefer multiplatform games on more powerful hardware. Switch is my Nintendo box.

Last edited:

Dunki

Yes I buy every tales game on the PC and be it just to show that it is a viable platform for future releases as well.

Dunki

What's the differences between PS4/Switch? I'd get Swirch unless it's a big difference
Overall better performance an better colors.

Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition arrives a decade after the original debuted on Xbox 360 bringing all the PS3 content like much more voice acting, new party members, and a lot more. While originally thought to run at 1080p 30fps outside battles and 1080p 60fps in battles docked (with 720p and the same framerates in portable), the end result is quite different as of version 1.01. There are many areas outside battle where the game targets 60fps on Switch. Battles target 60fps and drop here and there but it isn’t ever really bad. The locations where the target is 30fps however have issues. Some locations in general suffer from bad framepacing and end up feeling bad in general. It isn’t a steady 30fps across the board for sure. On the portable side, the image quality is quite soft in many areas. The art style can carry the game but don’t expect a crisp image at all times or rock solid performance sadly. It is pretty jarring when some areas in a town are 60fps while others like the outer area is 30fps with switching between them.

If you want to play Vesperia on a portable, this is your only option. It isn’t a fantastic experience but hopefully post launch patches improve the visuals and the framerate. If you want to play this docked, get it on another platform. The Xbox One X version I played alongside the Switch release is so much better on TV visually and performance wise.

https://www.godisageek.com/reviews/...reme-legends-definitive-edition-911-operator/

Overall it seems the PS4 Version is the best console one. And since the PC Port developer is well know for its good ports I guess that the PC Version will be the best overall.

Last edited:

Cornbread78

You cant see why they don't want to release the same game on the same date and charge $30 on two consoles and $50 on the other?

It's best to just release it at the highest price it will sell on the console they plan to sell the majority of copies. Don't piss off your main market - especially when that market is poor at judging what a product is worth.

Just curious, on what basis do you believe it's going to sell more copies in NA/EU? I mean, Japan us one thing, but in NA/EU as well?

Zog

Banned
It still plays fine on the 360 (it may even play in the Xbox One too) so unless there is alot of new content, I see no reason to buy it.

Vawn

Banned
Just curious, on what basis do you believe it's going to sell more copies in NA/EU? I mean, Japan us one thing, but in NA/EU as well?

You mean on Switch compared to PS4/Xbone? These lower budget and ports always sell better on Switch, usually by a large margin.

Look at the new Monster Boy - it has sold 8 times more on Switch than PS4/XB1 combined. That's the norm, not the exception.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It still plays fine on the 360 (it may even play in the Xbox One too) so unless there is alot of new content, I see no reason to buy it.
There is. The PS3 version we never got on in west added lots of extra stuff.

Not at full price I'm not, this is an old ass game and shouldn't be that expensive. I'm going to get it when it gets reasonable.

Cornbread78

You mean on Switch compared to PS4/Xbone? These lower budget and ports always sell better on Switch, usually by a large margin.

Look at the new Monster Boy - it has sold 8 times more on Switch than PS4/XB1 combined. That's the norm, not the exception.

The Tales fanbase from Tales of Graces f through Xillia, Xillia 2, Zesteria and Berseria have all been on PS3/4 and Tales of Hearts R was on Vita.

The series fandom has primarily been on Playstation according to Baba himself, not to mention PS fans of the series never got to play Vesperia on PS in the eest due to the "agreement" with MS amd you are that confident that it will deginity sell the best on Switch and not the market leader and not the recent "home" of the Tales franchise?

That's pretty bold. Good luck tjough; I hope it sells well everywhere, so we xan get the next installment already.

Last edited:

mekes

I bought a few games in the PSN sale over Christmas, Tales of Berseria amongst them. It’s my first tales game and I’m enjoying it so far. Not great, but decent. It has definitely upped my interest in the series so I may check this game out after I finish up with RE2.

Vawn

Banned
The Tales fanbase from Tales of Graces f through Xillia, Xillia 2, Zesteria and Berseria have all been on PS3/4 and Tales of Hearts R was on Vita.

The series fandom has primarily been on Playstation according to Baba himself, not to mention PS fans of the series never got to play Vesperia on PS in the eest due to the "agreement" with MS amd you are that confident that it will deginity sell the best on Switch and not the market leader and not the recent "home" of the Tales franchise?

That's pretty bold. Good luck tjough; I hope it sells well everywhere, so we xan get the next installment already.

I've always played it in PlayStation as well. But I'd bet any amount of money this game sells significantly more copies on Switch than PS4/XB1.

R9delta

Neo Member
Absolutely. I've thought about rebuying an Xbox 360 multiple times last year just to replay my digital copy of the game.

RPGCrazied

I read all the new stuff and holy moly its a lot. Lots of new skits, more costumes, more EX dungeons, new event scenes, more side quests.

Time to watch The First Strike movie!

Last edited:

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Yup.

I primarily game on PS4 but right now I can't decide if I should get the Switch version because:

- I have 2 more games coming (RE2 and KH3), so this will most likely get heavily sidelined
- I have a feeling I'll just be halfway through the game by the time KH3 comes out
- I can play on the go, so while I'm out, I can play this game

Why I'd like to get the PS4 version:
- Trophies... But I don't think I'm going to actively hunt them
- Like I said, my PS4 is my main console

blackjon24

Hopefully it was worth the wait. Seriously this lost odyssey and blue dragon was the closest micosoft has EVER gotten me to getting an xbox lol

clem84

Gold Member
Anyone know what makes this the definitive edition? The review posted above talks about the changes that have been brought over from the enhanced PS3 version, but it doesn't really say what those are.

edit: Nevermind. I saw the vid posted above.

Thanks Dunki!

Last edited:

Dunki

PC technical review:

https://www.pcinvasion.com/tales-vesperia-definitive-pc-technical-review/

Looks like it is a good port with a few Problems regarding the keyboard and mouse controls but who seriously plays with that^^

Also: the recommended specs seem a "bit" high?^^

Recommended Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770S @ 3.1 GHz / AMD Ryzen 7 1700
Memory: 16GB RAM
Graphics: GeForce GTX 970 / Radeon RX 470

WHAT?^^

Anyone know what makes this the definitive edition? The review posted above talks about the changes that have been brought over from the enhanced PS3 version, but it doesn't really say what those are.
Quite a few actually

• The entirety of the main story, and several side quests, are now fully voiced.
  • Several sound effects, such as the hit sound and defeated enemy sound, have been changed.
  • Twelve new tracks have been added.
  • The title logo of the game has been changed, from a violet tone to a blue that transitions to red in the center.
  • The camerawork in several cutscenes has been altered from the 360 version.
  • The Opening Movie has been altered to include Patty. The song itself is the same as the 360 version's.
  • When obtaining an item, at the bottom of the screen a graphic of the item and its description are shown.
  • A new playable character, Patty Fleur, has been added.
  • Flynn Scifo joins the party at other intervals in the game, and becomes a permanent member late in the game.
  • 39 new skits have been added, and several older skits have been altered to include Flynn and/or Patty.
  • Through a special item, Repede can now be used as the party leader.
  • Additional scenes have been added, particularly for Flynn and Patty.
  • Ragou's Manor dungeon has been extended somewhat.
  • Weasand of Cados has an extra zone at the end.
  • You can now enter Estelle's Room.
  • New locations: Waterway of Oaths, Lenenthra Hollow
  • Optional Dungeons: Cavern Depths, Telescopic Graveyard
  • New Giganto Monsters: Green Menace, Bloody Peak
  • About twelve bosses. Most optional.
  • Several new titles and constumes.
  • A large array of gameplay enahcancements, changes, and additions.

Last edited:

Neolombax

I played this game on the 360, but didn't manage to finish it. I thought it was an okay RPG. It had great artstyle, I'll give it that. I'm curious, why do people say this is one of the best RPG's?

CatCouch

I'll be playing on my Xbox. It feels weird to wait all these years for this to come to the PS3 and then PS4 only to end up buying it on the Xbox One but that's where I game the most right now. Can't wait to finish the dang thing this time. My 360 had the red ring of death right when I was ten or so hours into it when it came out. I never went back.

Danjin44

I played this game on the 360, but didn't manage to finish it. I thought it was an okay RPG. It had great artstyle, I'll give it that. I'm curious, why do people say this is one of the best RPG's?
I don't know if its "The Best RPG" but lot of people consider it one of the best Tales game.

KiteGr

Despite saying that I'm no big fan of the tails games, this was really high on my list.

...and then they've gone and ruined it by releasing it for a full price!

Danjin44

Nah, it looks to dated and I don't like real time combat in my jrpgs.
To me the visuals looks much better than recent Tales series and just like original Valkyria Chronicles it holds up pretty damn well.

Last edited:

GenericUser

To me the visuals looks much better than recent Tales series and just like original Valkyria Chronicles it holds up pretty damn well.
You made me google some actual pictures from the game. I guess it looks ok and if you are a jprg fan, it's one of the better looking games out there. But for someone like me, who is pretty picky about almost every game, it's simply not good enough. But to be honest, the graphics are not the biggest turn off for me, I just can't stand this hectic real time combat that the tales series is known for. I tried two tales of games in the past and the series is just not for me. l I hope you throroughly enjoy the game.

Andyliini

I have the Special Edition preordered for Switch, but the store wasn't certain they have enough stock for me. If I'll get that edition, I'll get it tomorrow, but if I miss it, I'll wait and buy the standard version later down the road. Have so much to play anyway it's not even funny.

Dunki

LOL and like nothing it was removed from Steam. I think someone pressed the wrong button here. It is completely gone.

If you were lucky and installed it before you still have it and can play t though.

edit: Its back now^^

Last edited:

Barakov

Gold Member
LOL and like nothing it was removed from Steam. I think someone pressed the wrong button here. It is completely gone.

If you were lucky and installed it before you still have it and can play t though.
Really? It's showing that you can buy it right now on my end.

Mr Hyde

After REmake 2, Sekiro and Xenoblade Chronicles 2, I will most likely buy this since I haven´t played Vesperia before. When I think about it, I haven´t played a Tales-game since Xillia and that came out in 2013 I think. Seems about time to get down with this franchise again.

ExpandKong

Banned
This one’s supposed to be one of the better Tales games right? The only one I’ve played was Symphonia, I liked it well enough to finish it.

Wunray

Got it on PC, runs pretty great at 1440p on my set up, I do however experience stuttering at 4k. For those interested:
CPU i5 6700k
Ram 16gb oc to 3000mhz
Gtx 1070 stock
Hdd mechanical 2tb

For all remasters from now on, they should make ALL the characters gay or bisexual or trans or something. It must be law. This includes the recent Mario remaster. Then, only then, will it be bought.

I own this on the 360 but still haven't played it. Will pick up the remaster when it goes on sale.

Last edited:

Mecha Meow

Waiting for a $20 sale on Steam as buying everything I want new is a waste of money when I still have a lot of games to play. I still have yet to play the copy of Berseria I was gifted recently.

I would have gotten the Switch version if it was 60fps all around but eh, I'll just keep the series on Steam like Ys.

I'll be buying the PS4 version later this month since I still have to finish Berseria. Heard lots of praise for it as a Tales game, can't wait wait to see what all the hype is about.

Last edited:

PseudoViper

I plan on getting it, but not day 1 and not at $50 USD. It's a good game, but it's not worth the hype it's getting. I've played better, 'Tales Of' games.

Top Bottom