• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Vesperia out in 2 days, you buying?

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I have a preorder with Best Buy but never got an email saying it is ready to pick up. I wonder if they have it today.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
It's weird, I've been flirting with buying the original and I just haven't pulled the trigger. Any enthusiasts out there that can clue me in?

Daymos

Yes. in 6 months when its $20

This! I have Diablo3, Dark souls Remastered, and Skyrim sitting there ready to be dug into for my switch. Once I'm done with those I'll probably buy dragons dogma and final fantasy 12.. BUT once I'm done with those, IF there's a space before dragon quest builders2 and dragon quest XI then I'll probably get tales of V.

The PC port is pretty good. It uses about 50% of my GTX 1080 at 4K, 4xMSAA and max settings. The game looks great considering how old it is, especially the high-resolution interface and text, which are always a big plus IMO. The only thing missing is ultrawide support.

Maybe after divinity pillars of eternity south park xenoblade chronicles and octopath traveler will i choose between this and ni no kuni 2.

Yagami_Sama

I bought. Actually I pre-ordered it a while ago. But Amazon forgot to ship the item, and the expected shipping date is now from 2 to 5 weeks.

ghairat

So I'm playing through the game. Is it just me or is the analog stick sensitive when pushing it "up"? The slightest atomic measured "up" movement on the stick registers an input.

Dunki

I must say I do not like the flow of the combat after the last games. Berseria was awesome and Vesperia has a better system than Symphonia but it feels really outdated. So I put it on normal which was fine but I feel am heavily underleveled at the current point even though I explored quite a bit. I am currently level 14 and have to fight a level 20 Boss who kicks my ass and that is on normal.....

Kagey K

Banned
I must say I do not like the flow of the combat after the last games. Berseria was awesome and Vesperia has a better system than Symphonia but it feels really outdated. So I put it on normal which was fine but I feel am heavily underleveled at the current point even though I explored quite a bit. I am currently level 14 and have to fight a level 20 Boss who kicks my ass and that is on normal.....

Some of the beginning bosses are quite tough, I remember struggling through the wolf boss on 360 back in the day. It opens up later on and fights become much more dynamic, but early on it can be a struggle just due to lack of tools to use to fight with.

Reading this thread is making me want to buy this, I told myself I was going to wait for a sale, but the temptation is getting to me.

Last edited:

Dunki

Some of the beginning bosses are quite tough, I remember struggling through the wolf boss on 360 back in the day. It opens up later on and fights become much more dynamic, but early on it can be a struggle just due to lack of tools to use to fight with.

Reading this thread is making me want to buy this, I told myself I was going to wait for a sale, but the temptation is getting to me.
yeah that is the one who kicks my ass even though the normal mobs are easy

Doom85

God, it feels so good to play this game again (never owned a Xbox as I'm a Sony/Nintendo guy, but my friend let me borrow his 360 over a summer to play this back in the day). I haven't gotten into Zesteria or Beseria yet but the world design shift that Xillia started I was not a fan of. Sure, the initial city and the beachside map were decently designed but all the areas after that were so boringly designed with just cities and fields that were just one big area with nothing really added to it, they made the world "bigger" but made it seem rather empty so it made me feel like I wasn't exploring at all. Maybe Zesteria or Beseria improved on that, but I was a fan of how Abyss/Vesperia/Symphonia designed their world/areas (Graces F wasn't as well designed but still better than Xillia) and it feels so good to play it again. You can do large cities, massive fields, etc. in an appealing way in a JRPG (Dragon Quest, Xenoblade) but Xillia just didn't do it right IMHO.

I didn't hate Xillia (I finished it and liked it despite its flaws. Xillia 2 on the other hand I only got halfway through, the story was not engaging and I hated just going to the same areas from the first game. I know it's the same setting but unless this planet is super-small I'm sure they could have justified giving us new cities and areas to see) but I'm hoping the last two Tales games put more thought into making the world big AND fun to explore.

Dunki

God, it feels so good to play this game again (never owned a Xbox as I'm a Sony/Nintendo guy, but my friend let me borrow his 360 over a summer to play this back in the day). I haven't gotten into Zesteria or Beseria yet but the world design shift that Xillia started I was not a fan of. Sure, the initial city and the beachside map were decently designed but all the areas after that were so boringly designed with just cities and fields that were just one big area with nothing really added to it, they made the world "bigger" but made it seem rather empty so it made me feel like I wasn't exploring at all. Maybe Zesteria or Beseria improved on that, but I was a fan of how Abyss/Vesperia/Symphonia designed their world/areas (Graces F wasn't as well designed but still better than Xillia) and it feels so good to play it again. You can do large cities, massive fields, etc. in an appealing way in a JRPG (Dragon Quest, Xenoblade) but Xillia just didn't do it right IMHO.

I didn't hate Xillia (I finished it and liked it despite its flaws. Xillia 2 on the other hand I only got halfway through, the story was not engaging and I hated just going to the same areas from the first game. I know it's the same setting but unless this planet is super-small I'm sure they could have justified giving us new cities and areas to see) but I'm hoping the last two Tales games put more thought into making the world big AND fun to explore.
The biggest flaw xillia 2 had was the silent protagonist. Especially when you could unlock voices after you have beaten the game...

Boss Mog

The retarded asshole delivery guy put my Premium Edition in the wrong mailbox. There's a neighbor that has a sort of similar last name to mine in my building and I can see a package in his mailbox that would be the right size so I'm guessing that's it but the neighbor isn't home apparently, I left a note on his door, hopefully he won't be a thief. I'm really fucking ticked off by this because the PE is only sold by BandaiNamco directly here and it's out of stock and I payed half-price for it so if I don't fucking get it and they issue me a refund, I'm gonna be extremely upset since I preordered months ago, it's nobody's fault except the dumbass mail delivery guy. The last names start and end with the same letters but other than that they're pretty different.

Kagey K

Banned
of course not, i will pick the game of tales, i never play it in xbox 360. But i will soon =), but not this month

N/M I think I understand now. You posted that trailer to say no, you aren’t buying Tales because you are buying RE2.

I mistook it as you meant to post that in the Resident Evil thread.

My bad.

CatCouch

So I just decided to start Vesperia on the Xbox One just now and it says there is a 22.4 GB update. Am I seeing that right? How the hell can this have a 22.4 GB patch!?

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
N/M I think I understand now. You posted that trailer to say no, you aren’t buying Tales because you are buying RE2.

I mistook it as you meant to post that in the Resident Evil thread.

My bad.

giphy.gif

=P

So I just decided to start Vesperia on the Xbox One just now and it says there is a 22.4 GB update. Am I seeing that right? How the hell can this have a 22.4 GB patch!?
Given the file size on PS4 is 22.8GB with a 1.6GB day 1 patch and 12.8GB on Switch (not sure on Switch file size for the day 1 patch and I've not started my copy yet to check), sounds like your XBOX One version is completely redownloading the game as a patch.

Last edited:

CatCouch

Given the file size on PS4 is 22.8GB with a 1.6GB day 1 patch and 12.8GB on Switch (not sure on Switch file size for the day 1 patch and I've not started my copy yet to check), sounds like your XBOX One version is completely redownloading the game as a patch.
The game is 28.7 GB's when I installed it. I'm new to my Xbox now, I didn't play it for two years so I don't know if this is normal or not. It seems like a pattern after Spyro required a 42 GB update.

I cancelled the update and restarted the system. Now the update is 19.5 GB. Not much better. Guess I'm going offline for the time being!

Kagey K

Banned
I'm pleasantly surprised how well the visuals holds up in Vesperia.
I thought it looked really good when it first came out, and cel shaded visuals tend to hold up the best.

It’s always the ultra real games that get picked apart post mortum.

Last edited:
The game is 28.7 GB's when I installed it. I'm new to my Xbox now, I didn't play it for two years so I don't know if this is normal or not. It seems like a pattern after Spyro required a 42 GB update.

I cancelled the update and restarted the system. Now the update is 19.5 GB. Not much better. Guess I'm going offline for the time being!
Don't have a XBOX so I can't tell you, but it's not like that on PS4 and Switch. Weird.

Zenaku

Got it. Wanted to play in hard, but my god, it was virtually impossible.

Double increase to HP, some kind of increase to stats, enemy recovery time is quick enough to hit you if you try hit and run tactics, and the first major boss had a stagger shield.

Couldn't beat the first tutorial battle (tried to separate them but they always stayed close, getting hits in before I could run), first normal enemies gave so little exp I couldn't level, and the boss, as mentioned above, had too much HP, did too much damage and could take enough of my hits before staggering I just couldn't do it.

Tales always had a problem with difficulty options, I find. I'll save hard for a replay, if it ever happens.

Dunki

man this fox/wolf was really unbalanced. Why was he in there? It is now much easier 12 hours in. Gattsuo? Was a huge wall to break even on normal^^

Last edited:

Fbh

So...umm, silly question but how annoying is the pirate girl?

JRPG's tend to be terrible with kid characters so I remember even back when the original PS3 version was announced I was wondering if the new character was even a good thing to begin with

ghairat

I have been noticing that there is no dead zone on the analog stick in this game. Hope the developers patch this since its pretty much unplayable on manual mode.

KiteGr

Got it!
I remember this game giving me grief for not being available on PS3....
...well, the wholes series gave me grief for not being available in Europe, but I remember this one in particular rustling my jimmies as I was very impressed by it's graphics and wanted to try the tales series for years.

Namco seemed like they had a vendeta with the European Sony console owners and avoided bringing any JRPGs here including Xenosaga. They finally gave up when the PS3 abandoned region coding and we could port our way to their games, but as a final insult, they made this game a X360 exclusive, so the very first game European Sony consoles would get, would be a Wii port, notorious for it's bad story and botched launch in Japan.

No wonder there isn't much fan-base here...

Cornbread78

I've always played it in PlayStation as well. But I'd bet any amount of money this game sells significantly more copies on Switch than PS4/XB1.

fROM mEDIA cREATE:

03./00. [PS4] Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition # <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2019.01.11} (¥5.700) - 41.510 / NEW
04./00. [NSW] Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition # <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2019.01.11} (¥5.700) - 26.588 / NEW

so about that Paypal transfer......

Vawn

Banned
fROM mEDIA cREATE:

03./00. [PS4] Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition # <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2019.01.11} (¥5.700) - 41.510 / NEW
04./00. [NSW] Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition # <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2019.01.11} (¥5.700) - 26.588 / NEW

so about that Paypal transfer......

Is that Japan? I'd find that it selling better on PS4 there extremely surprising seeing how much more popular the Switch and portable gaming is there.

https://gearnuke.com/tales-of-vesperia-sales-big-numbers/

"Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition’s sales volume consisted of 49% being on the Nintendo Switch, 43% on the PS4 and the rest of the 8% on the Xbox One. Note the game is also available on PC via Steam, but that’s digital only and these charts track retail sales"

That's also much closer than I would have thought. And those Xbox numbers explain a lot why Japanese publishers often just skip Xbox completely.

Last edited:

mejin

Is that Japan? I'd find that it selling better on PS4 there extremely surprising seeing how much more popular the Switch and portable gaming is there.

https://gearnuke.com/tales-of-vesperia-sales-big-numbers/

"Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition’s sales volume consisted of 49% being on the Nintendo Switch, 43% on the PS4 and the rest of the 8% on the Xbox One. Note the game is also available on PC via Steam, but that’s digital only and these charts track retail sales"

That's also much closer than I would have thought. And those Xbox numbers explain a lot why Japanese publishers often just skip Xbox completely.

Playstation is still a strong and viable option for 3rd party games in Japan and the world. Dragon Quest Builders 2, for example, PS4 version sold almost the same as the portable version. Switch is still a nintendo machine in the end.

Pejo

Picked this up and installed it, but fell asleep before I could start it up, lol. I heard that they switched the VAs for the english added content, which sounds weird, but whatever. I'm just happy that it exists. Probably won't have time to dig in until tomorrow night.

Boss Mog

I can't believe I preordered the premium edition 3 months before release and I'm never gonna get it now, since the delivery guy stole it and the premium edition is only sold by bamco here and they're all gone apparently. With everything I order online the fact that this is the one that got stolen really hurts, anything else I could buy again probably or wasn't that important.

Vawn

Banned
I can't believe I preordered the premium edition 3 months before release and I'm never gonna get it now, since the delivery guy stole it and the premium edition is only sold by bamco here and they're all gone apparently. With everything I order online the fact that this is the one that got stolen really hurts, anything else I could buy again probably or wasn't that important.

He stole it? How did you find out?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Nope. I'm not buying. Aside, from the Souls games most japanese developed games are of little interest to me.

Just responding to the OP since they asked the question.

Top Bottom