• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia has sold 1 million copies

kazebyaka

Banned
1 million too many?

jk, somehow i thought that the series is more popular than that, less than a mil in japan is not that good.

Card Boy

Banned
Well i did my part. I assume the games are cheap to make since Namco always brings them to the west and we are getting more Tales on the way here.

Eusis

1 million too many?

jk, somehow i thought that the series is more popular than that, less than a mil in japan is not that good.
Hasn't hit over a million in Japan in a long time as I recall, that was mainly the domain of the PS1 games I think and perhaps Phantasia as well. Does seem to indicate the series has a healthy future for localization however.

EDIT: I could've just looked at the OP for that! At any rate only story I could find sourcing GameWatch. I imagine it's possible Vesperia matched or topped it too, but basically the only game that hit that number was Destiny, and given that's worldwide it's not implossible the same happened there as with this, though it seems to me Tales has WAY more presence here now than it ever did in the PS1 days so I imagine it was even more lopsided then.

FSLink

Banned
Bought 1 JP copy and 3 US copies (1 CE, 1 "Limited" Edition/Day 1, and a second LE as a gift).
Hopefully Xillia 2 will do well enough. How well did that sell in Japan?

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
Wow, im surprised Vesperia isn't on that list.....but then again it WAS on 360 sooo.....

Eusis

more like shipped given it's nbgi
Well, price dropped by $10 on Amazon but it hasn't outright TANKED so I think it probably did OK.
Wow, im surprised Vesperia isn't on that list.....but then again it WAS on 360 sooo.....
The one I linked? The fact it's from 2007 and not 2009 or 2010 would be the bigger factory actually. Though looking at Wikipedia it definitely didn't reach a million even with PS3.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
Regardless im glad they already greenlit Tales of Xillia 2

Videoneon

Million seller huh. This franchise has gone mainstream, I'm going to abandon it, Scamco are sellouts, etc. etc. etc.

Xillia isn't my favorite, I actually think it's sort of a meh game, but it does bode well for the franchise's future. Those Western sales are not bad at all.

Yeah sold better when it got updated for PS3. Altogether for the Japanese Vesperia titles I think the sales were about a little under 600k.

kurahador

That's a great number for a console exclusive jrpg these days.

Hope they'll re-consider on localizing Vesperia ps3 now.

On one hand, I'm glad. The Tales series has always struggled to find any degree of worldwide success and this is progress since Symphonia smashed records for the mostly library-based reasons it did.

On the other hand, I am playing Xillia now, and man oh man is it ever a lazy effort. Reused assets that harm the game in a real way, huge downgrade in presentation in some places (and small upgrades in others), and just generally very few hooks to get you interested immediately. Nevermind the other choices like changing how grade works - that's not laziness, that's just a dumb decision.

I am hoping Xillia doing well is not proof that they can get away with such efforts and still find success, but rather that next time they should really give it their all.

TheFatMan

I'll take that news all day. Anything that helps companies see that they can still make money off well made and enjoyable JRPG's is a plus in my book. Although Namco Bandai does seem to have caught on to that lately with Xillia and Ni No Kuni.

I'm glad its doing well.. its less formulaic than other games like tales of graces and tales of vesperia. The story is definitely better.

I was one of them. And TBH I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as Graces F but am still glad I contributed to the cause. Story was better but didn't enjoy playing it as much.

Chake

Banned
Hopefully this will help make the next tales game look like a real HD rpg. Xillia looked like a ps2/early ps3 game.

OnFire331

I'll take that news all day. Anything that helps companies see that they can still make money off well made and enjoyable JRPG's is a plus in my book. Although Namco Bandai does seem to have caught on to that lately with Xillia and Ni No Kuni.

Yup, I did my part and bought Xillia and Ni no Kuni this year, and I'll buy Xillia 2 and Dark Souls 2 next year.

Soriku

On one hand, I'm glad. The Tales series has always struggled to find any degree of worldwide success and this is progress since Symphonia smashed records for the mostly library-based reasons it did.

On the other hand, I am playing Xillia now, and man oh man is it ever a lazy effort. Reused assets that harm the game in a real way, huge downgrade in presentation in some places (and small upgrades in others), and just generally very few hooks to get you interested immediately. Nevermind the other choices like changing how grade works - that's not laziness, that's just a dumb decision.

I am hoping Xillia doing well is not proof that they can get away with such efforts and still find success, but rather that next time they should really give it their all.

This is a little harsh. In terms of presentation the game is a big step up IMO...the towns are much better than ever and the cutscenes and art direction are good as well. The asset reuse particularly in fields could be better, I agree but I don't think it's that bad. Also I was hooked well enough from the beginning...

One thing that's a big step up from other Tales games is subevents. Xillia has some very interesting ones and most are voiced.

Anyway, good news and I look forward to Xillia 2.

PKrockin

I'm glad its doing well.. its less formulaic than other games like tales of graces and tales of vesperia. The story is definitely better.

uhh...? The game that replaced TP with a CC system, introduced quickstepping, focused completely on titles for character advancement, changed to a behind the back view, changed cooking to the eleth mixer system, changed crafting to the dualizing system, greatly expanded the elemental weakness concept, changed the physical attacks and artes system to A-artes and B-artes system...?

Some of these things were probably done in previous Team Graces games which I haven't played, but we haven't seen these in the west.

Thorgal

Great news to hear.
The retail and digital sales combined with all the costume DLC makes me think that Namco is quite pleased.
Now lets see if TOX2 can do even better.

Videoneon

This is a little harsh. In terms of presentation the game is a big step up IMO...the towns are much better than ever and the cutscenes and art direction are good as well. The asset reuse particularly in fields could be better, I agree but I don't think it's that bad. Also I was hooked well enough from the beginning...

One thing that's a big step up from other Tales games is subevents. Xillia has some very interesting ones and most are voiced.

I think presentation is probably its biggest asset. They put effort into towns, stray voices ("mutton!"), initially the idea of fields convey a sense of vastness, and the plot's development was more ambitious than Graces, though that bar is low. I'll add that I loved the "press this button to be reminded on what to do" feature (even if I don't use it, as I generally have a good memory), and I loved the menu that talks about main and sub event developments. But the music isn't particularly amazing, the characters are hit and miss, pacing is off, battle system is just okay, no cameo battles, lots of recolored enemies, bad dungeons, etc.

edit: to be clear, I don't hate the game or think it's terrible. But I'm not all that enthusiastic about it, having spent some time away from it.

Soriku

I think presentation is probably its biggest asset. They put effort into towns, stray voices ("mutton!"), initially the idea of fields convey a sense of vastness, and the plot's development was more ambitious than Graces, though that bar is low. I'll add that I loved the "press this button to be reminded on what to do" feature (even if I don't use it, as I generally have a good memory), and I loved the menu that talks about main and sub event developments. But the music isn't particularly amazing, the characters are hit and miss, pacing is off, battle system is just okay, no cameo battles, lots of recolored enemies, etc.

Some of the negatives you listed are just typical of Tales or subjective.

Soundtracks aren't a high point of Tales anymore but the music is still a step up compared to more recent games. Recolored enemies are just a Tales/RPG thing. Out of the Tales I've played this is probably my 2nd favorite cast. Pacing isn't Tales' strong suit as they're long RPGs and have a lot of build up. Battle system isn't as good as Graces F but still good, and I think people consider it a step up from Vesperia, which is considered good.

No cameo battle is minor for me but it's definitely a flaw though. Luckily that's rectified in Xillia 2.

demidar

The soundtrack in Xillia is vastly superior to Graces f, but it's still not that great outside of a few tracks.

Cool. Xillia is the first Tales game that grabbed me right away. It also has a soundtrack by Sakuraba that I actually like. He seems to have stepped his game up from what I've heard. The fact that xillia 2 is on the way makes me happy.

Soriku

Cool. Xillia is the first Tales game that grabbed me right away. It also has a soundtrack by Sakuraba that I actually like. He seems to have stepped his game up from what I've heard. The fact that xillia 2 is on the way makes me happy.

Xillia is entirely composed by Sakuraba I believe so that's a reason for the better music. He massively stepped up his game in Resonance of Fate, what an amazing soundtrack.

OnFire331

Xillia is entirely composed by Sakuraba I believe so that's a reason for the better music. He massively stepped up his game in Resonance of Fate, what an amazing soundtrack.

Resonance of Fate wasn't entirely Sakuraba though, Kouhei Tanaka (Gravity Rush's composer) did music for the game too. I still think that Sakuraba's best soundtrack was Eternal Sonata's.

Auskeek

Xillia still feels to me like the Final Fantasy 13 of Tales games given the relative linearity and slightly overbearing Milla worship.

I'm enjoying playing through it but it feels like a bit of a misstep for the Tales series. If I hadn't already played Xillia 2 (which completely blew me away), playing Graces F and Xillia back to back would have been enough to make me give up on the series.

Soriku

Resonance of Fate wasn't entirely Sakuraba though, Kouhei Tanaka (Gravity Rush's composer) did music for the game too. I still think that Sakuraba's best soundtrack was Eternal Sonata's.

Yeah I know, just talking about his part of the soundtrack, although Tanaka's stuff is good as well.

Xillia still feels to me like the Final Fantasy 13 of Tales games given the relative linearity and slightly overbearing Milla worship.

I'm enjoying playing through it but it feels like a bit of a misstep for the Tales series. If I hadn't already played Xillia 2 (which completely blew me away), playing Graces F and Xillia back to back would have been enough to make me give up on the series.

Is Xillia really any more linear than other Tales? I haven't noticed that to be the case at all.

Top Bottom