• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria PS4 up for pre-order on Best Buy.com (NA)

I think its likely that they announce Tales of Zestiria for PS4 + the next mainline Tales game for PS4, with Zestiria obviously releasing this year, and the PS4 game sometime next year? Just speculation on my part.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I think its likely that they announce Tales of Zestiria for PS4 + the next mainline Tales game for PS4, with Zestiria obviously releasing this year, and the PS4 game sometime next year? Just speculation on my part.

LOL. They're not announcing a next mainline Tales game this year.

jorgeton

J3DTiIr.jpg

Hmmm....HMMMMMM.

Yeah, PS4 version confirmed.

All hail the next-gen JRPG renaissance.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
The PS4 version will most likely run at 60fps and 1080 in battle. What concerns me is everything outside of the battles. It can't simply be a port that increases resolution and framerate.

The fields were unnecessarily large and empty with nothing to do. It's better than Xillia 2 and a step in the right direction but a ton of problems still.

NolbertoS

All I want is the CE edition of Zesteria on PS4. Announce that at Tales Fest Namco. We all know the PS4 vanilla version is coming out soon.

Kasumin

This is definitely the case as well. The vision was the strongest while there were those stable teams with clear structures which both built upon their respectively own design schools. After they went away from that structure after Vesperia/Graces I guess one could say the vision blurred as well. I'm still waiting for some new structure to settle in, but Zestiria went even further away from that by using a lot of outsourcing. Really hope this is just a one off project down to lack of manpower (as Baba babbled) and a settling team is actually currently working on something else. I'm not too hopeful though. =/

Tales of Destiny's PS2 remake is a great example of what you mentioned. That game improved on the original in just about every way and was mechnically incredibly solid and a ton of fun to play (even if I didn't totally understand it). I know "Team Destiny" and "Team Symphonia" were never a thing, but there clearly was some split in game approaches and they made some pretty solid games of both styles. Rebirth, Destiny Remake, Graces on one hand and Symphonia, Abyss, and Vesperia on the other.

I'm not too hopeful that this situation will improve, either.

I think this is a problem with Bandai Namco in general. Examples:

Soul Calibur V: rushed out, fans were dissatisfied, game sold below expectation.
Tales of Xillia: great sales, but fans felt the game was rushed.
One Piece Musou: great sales, but it lacked a lot of content, general disappointment.
JoJo: the same as One Piece, with an even worse uproar due to microtransactions.

I have heard about issues with other Bamco published games. Your examples do seem to indicate a trend toward rushing games out or releasing games lacking content. That's unfortunate. And if it's not just a problem with Tales, I don't see things getting better in the future. These examples make these kinds of issues look like a deliberate trend within the company.

kewlmyc

That'd mean that the mainline PS4 game would be super rushed. I rather they take their time on the next title so we don't end up with another Xillia and Zestiria PS3 on our hands.

Datschge

That'd mean that the mainline PS4 game would be super rushed.
Not if all the missing Xillia staff is working on it. It's been 2 1/2 years already since Xillia 2 released in Japan, that used to be on the long end of typical development times for Tales games before Xillia.

Not if all the missing Xillia staff is working on it. It's been 2 1/2 years already since Xillia 2 released in Japan, that used to be on the long end of typical development times for Tales games before Xillia.

Was a notable amount of Xillia's staff missing from Zestiria's credits?

Rpgmonkey

The PS4 version will most likely run at 60fps and 1080 in battle. What concerns me is everything outside of the battles. It can't simply be a port that increases resolution and framerate.

The fields were unnecessarily large and empty with nothing to do. It's better than Xillia 2 and a step in the right direction but a ton of problems still.

I think Zestiria's a little unique in that a couple of its biggest non-technical problems would take more time and effort than usual to fix, because they either built stuff around particular constraints that make shoehorning stuff in harder, or they went for such a big scale that they couldn't even really fill in the original development time, much less in the 8 or so months they have to port this to the PS4/PC. Offering a little more of what's already there is possible but...meh, I'm not really clamoring for more of those arenas or generic optional dungeon areas.

It'll be interesting to see what they'll do, assuming they really make an effort.

Sandfox

I don't really expect too much to change outside of the battles and I think the the PS3 and PS4/PC versions be the same in every other way.

I don't think it's just a matter of style.

Like other people have mentioned, Xillia and Zestiria tried to do a lot more than Vesperia from a technical perspective, but for a variety of reasons (budget, possible lack of experience with what Xillia and Zestiria tried to do, things like that) their visuals fell short to a decent number of people.

Vesperia looks great but in terms of structure, it's essentially Symphonia/Abyss in HD. Traditional world map, locked camera, etc.

kewlmyc

I don't think it's just a matter of style.

Like other people have mentioned, Xillia and Zestiria tried to do a lot more than Vesperia from a technical perspective, but for a variety of reasons (budget, possible lack of experience with what Xillia and Zestiria tried to do, things like that) their visuals fell short to a decent number of people.

Vesperia looks great but in terms of structure, it's essentially Symphonia/Abyss in HD. Traditional world map, locked camera, etc.

After playing Xillia 1 and 2, I wouldn't mind locked cameras again.

Dice//

Banned
After playing Xillia 1 and 2, I wouldn't mind locked cameras again.

Yeah, I think that's what I'd argue as well. The amount of hate I feel for Xillia's boxed-in canyons is really, really high (always in 'groups of 3', like you didn't see enough of nothing the first time).

I remember a few of the maps had a POND[!!!]... That was cool. And I liked when they gave you a ledge to jump up/down from. That was shakin' it up.

... =/

It actually feels sort of baffling how you could go from such a content-rich game like Symph/Vesperia (whom actually bothered to make puzzles!!) to....virtually nothing worth anything to see and do in the game's fields and dungeons (granted the most I know about Zesty is from a few hours of stream, so stop me if I'm wrong there)

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

lol, did you forget about the super lazy Tales of Symphonia Chronicles HD?

kewlmyc

lol, did you forget about the super lazy Tales of Symphonia Chronicles HD?

Wasn't that mostly because the original Symphonia PS2 ran at 30fps and Namco didn't bother to up the framerate?

Oh wait, Zestiria is in the exact same situation. Valid point.

Wasn't that mostly because the original Symphonia PS2 ran at 30fps and Namco didn't bother to up the framerate?

Oh wait, Zestiria is in the exact same situation. Valid point.

Hmm? I thought the situation was that the PS2 game was 60fps but the HD port downgraded it to 30fps.

SerTapTap

Ugh ToS Chronicles, I really want to believe that was basically a port and zero effort was spent on remastering. ...because...zero effort was spent on remastering. I expect far better for the PS4 remaster.

All I want is the CE edition of Zesteria on PS4. Announce that at Tales Fest Namco. We all know the PS4 vanilla version is coming out soon.

IMO if they're smart they treat the PS3 release as the budget one all the way, CE on PS4 only. I'm not sure I'm ready to go back to Tales (loved Xillia despite it's flaws, but a little Tales goes a long way) but PS4 + a good collector's edition (figure please) might do me in.

Jay RaR

Hopefully the PS4 port has 60 fps, 1080p, fixes camera issues, pop-ins, and includes the DLC.

and comes to PC.

Datschge

Was a notable amount of Xillia's staff missing from Zestiria's credits?
Yes, very notable. First of all both Xillia managed to do nearly without any outsourcing (which is less than even most Tales games before), Zestiria went to the other extreme end and had most assets creation outsourced to a degree that only leads of the respective areas stayed in house.

Outsourcing partners with unclear roles:
RED Entertainment -> concept design (new to the series)
IMAGICA -> art support? (common partner)
Lemonsky Studio -> art (new to the series)
XPEC Entertainment -> 3D art (new to the series)
media.vision -> event design (common partner)

Staff changes in bigger sections from Xillia 1&2 to Zestiria
Map models: 13 -> 2 (+ 9 new internal staff, outsourced to some above)
Character models: 11 -> 3 (outsourced to flightUNIT (new to the series))
Monster models: 5 -> 2 (outsourced to some above)
Animation: 13 -> 2 (outsourced to Mineloader software (common partner))
Programming: 11 -> 6 (+ 1 new, outsourced to 4 more from tri-Crescendo including system programming)
Game design: 8 -> 2 (+ 2 new)

Notable people MIA:
Eiji Kikuchi (former studio/development group manager, likely redundant in BN Studios?)
Kenji Anabuki (involved in all "Team Symphonia" games + X1&2, just busy with Smash 4?)
Masahiro Fuke (battle program support Hearts DS and X1, battle design NDX and X2)
Itsumi Hori, Daisuke Kiga (more scenario people)
Yasushi Shibue (storyboard for all "Team Symphonia" games + X1&2)

And this is not accounting for the staff that went MIA during the transition from Tales Studio to BN Studios.

Either Zestiria is a heavily outsourced game while there is internal staff already working on another project. Or the 80 former Tales Studio staff that originally joined BN Studios was cut in half since, with future Tales games requiring this degree of outsourcing.

Jeez. A part of me wants to believe a majority of the internal Tales staff might have went all hands on deck for whatever they have planned for PS4 (outside of Zestiria, obviously), but I don't know anything about Tales dev cycles or how Namco rolls these days, so any guessing on my part is probably horribly misinformed.

Yes, very notable. First of all both Xillia managed to do nearly without any outsourcing (which is less than even most Tales games before), Zestiria went to the other extreme end and had most assets creation outsourced to a degree that only leads of the respective areas stayed in house.

Either Zestiria is a heavily outsourced game while there is internal staff already working on another project. Or the 80 former Tales Studio staff that originally joined BN Studios was cut in half since, with future Tales games requiring this degree of outsourcing.

Huh, I didn't know about that. I wouldn't think the staff would face a large number of layoffs considering how well Xillia did financially, but I suppose anything can happen. I'm hoping Zestiria was heavily outsourced because the Xillia staff is working on another project.

Asd202

Tales of Budget is getting worse and worse.

Just put more monsters in the fields and it'll be alright.

Geez, I really want this to come to PS4, mostly because if it doesn't I'll probably never be inclined to play it, but it looks so sad compared to Xenoblade X. I'm sure a lot of it is just a budget thing, but it doesn't look to even compare at all. Still I'll get it if it comes to PS4, and I'll enjoy the game for what it is, but it seems very amusing that the big JRPGs this year may be Xenoblade X (extremely impressive visually and technically) coming out on the underdog Wii U, and Tales of Zestiria (admirable, but restricted by budget heavily) coming to PS4 (maybe). The comparison us still quite unfavorable without the game coming to PS4 too, because I'm sure the PS3 could have pulled of a game similar to Xenoblade X.

Dice//

Banned
Geez, I really want this to come to PS4, mostly because if it doesn't I'll probably never be inclined to play it, but it looks so sad compared to Xenoblade X.

To be fair, a lot of games look "sad" compared to XBX. I say that's in good part to the hella-great creative and technical team that wow you with the sci-fi fantasy and manage to make it all work (with installations).

SephLuis

It actually feels sort of baffling how you could go from such a content-rich game like Symph/Vesperia (whom actually bothered to make puzzles!!) to....virtually nothing worth anything to see and do in the game's fields and dungeons (granted the most I know about Zesty is from a few hours of stream, so stop me if I'm wrong there)

I actually liked some of the dungeons level design. Way better than Xillia 1 and 2, that's for sure.

That being said, there aren't "puzzles" in those dungeons. More like obstructions, which you use a power to pass. And some of those obstructions are a real pain the ass to go through,

Top Bottom