• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria PS4 up for pre-order on Best Buy.com (NA)

jimmypython

I stopped following the series after all of my ps3 Tales of games got stolen (all imports, with a sealed Xillia 2:(((( )....is Zestiria any good comparing among all the PS3 games (including Vesperia)?

Voror

I truly hope it does come out with the various bugs fixed. There doesn't seem like a reason why they wouldn't be unless they are that lazy.

Mifec

I stopped following the series after all of my ps3 Tales of games got stolen (all imports, with a sealed Xillia 2:(((( )....is Zestiria any good comparing among all the PS3 games (including Vesperia)?

It's just ok from what I got playing the imported copy, stopped when the PC news got out.

No Tales game on the PS3 is better than Vesperia though :3

Dead

well not really...yet
We don't even know how the port is, plus its coming out the same time as the pS3 version so its not even a port, just another SKU really.

I've heard its decent.

But there was a whole controversy about the girl who was advertised as the heroine from the first previews and screenshots along with the main hero(as in, jude and milla type advertising) ending up only being in the game to build a bridge for the actual gang and then leaving for the rest of the story.
Just read about this

That is crazy

So does the DLC reinstate her as a permanent party member or what is the deal. Seems like a needlessly dumb bait and switch.

From what I see I think it will be better than Xillia. There are some issues to be fixed so they better do that.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Interesting that Dragon Quest Heroes is dated for Oct 15, 2015 according to Best Buy.

bigkrev

Well, both the PS4 and PS3 links are dead, and the game doesn't come up on Search.

But hey, Tales of Xillia 2 is $16.79 with GCU if you were looking for that cheap?

kewlmyc

Well, both the PS4 and PS3 links are dead, and the game doesn't come up on Search.

But hey, Tales of Xillia 2 is $16.79 with GCU if you were looking for that cheap?

I'm surprised they lasted this long. Good thing a screenshot was taken. They didn't cancel the order I placed though. They did change the release to 12/31/2015 though, making me think the 10/27/2015 date was the actual release date.

koutoru

I'm surprised they didn't rename the listings "TOZ" before deleting it.
Literally the only thing left that could surprise me now would be Vespira on PS4.

Datschge

So does the DLC reinstate her as a permanent party member or what is the deal.
No, the girl is of no big importance for the story, and all the DLC does is adding unrelated fluff to have more about her and the other girl. The only bait and switch was done by marketing, implying her having a bigger role than she actually has. To change that the whole story would need to be rewritten from the ground up which is never going to happen.

Crayten

Banned

Just took them 1 Day to remove it ... allready worst kept secret ever.

Why not just announce it ? At this point its pretty pointless to deny it after so many leaks for the PS4/PC version

Rpgmonkey

Just read about this

That is crazy

So does the DLC reinstate her as a permanent party member or what is the deal. Seems like a needlessly dumb bait and switch.

She's the central character but it doesn't affect her status in the main game.

Changing this requires pretty big story and gameplay changes (for story reasons she can't use the main feature of the battle system, so there's quite a lot of things she can't do or needs less effective workarounds to accomplish), and they seem to be porting this on an accelerated schedule compared to Vesperia and Graces so I'm not sure if they have the time or motivation to change this in the port. The most I could see them doing is a non-canon Easter egg-type thing where she's playable but technically not actually in the party.

kewlmyc

Just took them 1 Day to remove it ... allready worst kept secret ever.

Why not just announce it ? At this point its pretty pointless to deny it after so many leaks for the PS4/PC version

They would probably have nothing new to show at Tales Fest 2015 if they revealed the PS4/PC ports ahead of time. I guess they relying on the Japanese not paying attention to all the overseas leaks.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Just read about this

That is crazy

We don't know what the actual intent was, but the fact of the matter is Alicia is basically just an NPC with a really overly detailed design, only designed for one segment of the story. She was not apart of the actual story to begin with, but somehow(and don't ask me how), she was somehow drawn with the main hero and featured multiple times with him in the first revealed information about the game complete with her backround information, literally before anything else came out.

It is a headscratcher, and really, it was kind stupid because the DLC just made it worse, putting her back in for some random reason.

It would have been fine to just have it be a miscommunication between development arms and leave it at that with no DLC, but then Japanese fans felt they were being trolled by having to pay for more of the bait and switch character, like the devs intentionally did that to get people to by the DLC on top of the bait and switch already in the base game that was full price. That's why there was such a huge blow up in Japan about it.

Kieli

The blow-up is a good thing.

Not because I care whether or not Heroine XYZ is actually in the game so much as deceptive marketing pisses me off.

Kasumin

Indeed I'd love for them to have more budget but I'd infinately prefer they keep existing over being given a larger budget only to not meet expectations and the series goes mobile or is canned over it.

I don't think it's just a matter of budget, though. This sort of thing is harder to quantify, of course, but I get the feeling that Tales games these days suffer from a lack of vision behind them. I've played most of the older Tales games and even though they were on older hardware and the battle systems were a bit rough, the games gave me the sense that they were really trying to break new ground.

The newer games give me the sense that they're just rushing a game out to meet some release date and some target sales number (like 300k first week sales in Japan). They introduce new mechanics and elements to the games, but I don't feel like they're trying to break new ground or do anything really interesting. It feels more like a checklist of things to add to a new Tales game. Kamui, for one, seems to be a rather uninspired new gimmick overall. They could have done more with it, I feel, but... they didn't.

"Vision" is a difficult thing to define, though, so I can really only say it's based on a gut feeling sort of thing, having played most of the mothership titles in the series.

BMTR

Neo Member
If they added more contents then I guess its time to buy a PS4. didn't think I might buy one this soon
YS 8 reveal surprised me but still having the ability to play persona 5 and Zestiria in my PS3 held me back

Datschge

The newer games give me the sense that they're just rushing a game out to meet some release date and some target sales number (like 300k first week sales in Japan). They introduce new mechanics and elements to the games, but I don't feel like they're trying to break new ground or do anything really interesting. It feels more like a checklist of things to add to a new Tales game. Kamui, for one, seems to be a rather uninspired new gimmick overall. They could have done more with it, I feel, but... they didn't.
In my opinion it's down to polish. The newer Tales games actually do try a lot more than they did up to Vesperia, but overall polish and cohesion increasingly suffered for it. They also try a lot more now than their technical side is capable of supporting smoothly, past games where much more aware of their own limitations.

Shahed

In my opinion it's down to polish. The newer Tales games actually do try a lot more than they did up to Vesperia, but overall polish and cohesion increasingly suffered for it. They also try a lot more now than their technical side is capable of supporting smoothly, past games where much more aware of their own limitations.

I agree with this. Xillia tried to do a lot more than previous games, and Zestiria even moreso from what I've seen of it. But Vesperia with it's fixed camera and whatnot lead to a much better polished and cohesive experience. Sure Xillia tried more, but it ended up with bland environments and recycled docks. Yes i know these aren't massive sellers, but when you play a game and it feels cheaply made it detracts from the experience and overall enjoyability

Kasumin

You have a point. I think "lack of polish" is a much better way to put it. But I think earlier Tales games were breaking new ground just by having the Linear Motion battle system and its iterations as well as some other series staples like skits.

Later games have tried to do more, but doing more isn't always doing better. Was talking with some other friends who used to like the series and they pointed out how gimmicks went from being neat and helpful (Unison Attacks in Symphonia, Fields of Fonons in Abyss) to downright required (Chromatus in Xillia 2 to some extent and definitely Kamui in Zestiria).

I think a lack of vision can also be blamed for whoever is managing the development of recent Tales games failing to understand what the limits of the dev team are and working within those. But you're right, lack of polish and cohesion definitely describe recent Tales games. Especially Xillia 1 since it's arguably the most incomplete Tales game released in the past 10 years.

SeanTSC

Definitely will be getting the PS4 version. I hope I never have to turn on my PS3 again. Always feels like such a chore to do so, especially with having to re-pair my DS4s to it.

Super glad that the Japanese RPG devs are jumping on it so fast. NIS, IF/Compile Heart, Bandai-Namco, Atlus. Now I just hope Gust's next entry is on the PS4.

That $20 price bump rubs me the wrong way.

Think of it more as a $20 discount for the PS3 version. We've been paying 60 for brand new games for years, much less a current generation title (which are mostly all 60 or beyond at the moment). I don't like the practise either, but they're giving PS3 owners some incentive to pick up a copy immediately instead of waiting to get a ps4.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I guess they lowered the price in expectation that the game would be in low demand on last gen. It was 50 before

Datschge

I think a lack of vision can also be blamed for whoever is managing the development of recent Tales games failing to understand what the limits of the dev team are and working within those.
This is definitely the case as well. The vision was the strongest while there were those stable teams with clear structures which both built upon their respectively own design schools. After they went away from that structure after Vesperia/Graces I guess one could say the vision blurred as well. I'm still waiting for some new structure to settle in, but Zestiria went even further away from that by using a lot of outsourcing. Really hope this is just a one off project down to lack of manpower (as Baba babbled) and a settling team is actually currently working on something else. I'm not too hopeful though. =/

Kikujiro

I think this is a problem with Bandai Namco in general. Examples:

Soul Calibur V: rushed out, fans were dissatisfied, game sold below expectation.
Tales of Xillia: great sales, but fans felt the game was rushed.
One Piece Musou: great sales, but it lacked a lot of content, general disappointment.
JoJo: the same as One Piece, with an even worse uproar due to microtransactions.

MSMrRound

J3DTiIr.jpg

Hmmm....HMMMMMM.

MSMrRound

Lol "rumors". Feel more like leaks at this point.

Bamco's horrible with keeping their secrets. I remember when Tales of Hearts R's localization video with Hideo Baba's message to the West was put on Youtube a few days before the official announcement.

Makes me wish that we would have heard something about Digimon Cyber Sleuth by now (I'll just grab the Chinese copy as a last resort...)

Falk

that puzzling face
Does that link work for you?

When I click it, it redirects me to the Facebook home page. I tried logging out and checking it, but no dice. Facebook and Google searches for the page turn up no results, either.

I ran into this last year. It seems to redirect based on IP or something. Someone had to screenshot an announcement for me.

I guess that tweet confirms it. I hope it also includes the PC version. Good sales would probably lead to ports of the previous games.

Top Bottom