• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tarantino to the Mob Angry About Bruce Lee in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood: 'oh suck a dick!'

highrider

Banned
Tarantino is passionate enough about cinema to drive his career to where it is at today; with such a journey, he must have heard tons of anecdotes through research or friendships/acquaintances. Would you rather favor the take of some random youtuber who is in need for views and is now piecing biased evidence to support the position that will gather them the most attention?
Both are equally worthless to me. Bruce Lee was a visionary physical actor, it doesn’t surprise me at all he was intense and hit people.

Last edited:

Paasei

Imagine how pissed off the Manson family must be after seeing themselves getting killed by someone on acid.

It is way too easy to rile people up nowadays. Grow a fucking spine, please.

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
Nobody is saying he wasn’t a visionary. People are just saying he was a dick to coworkers. Like any other diva.

But then you have a lot more vetted people saying the complete opposite. Diva lol, I’d like to see you call Bruce Lee a diva.

Edit: you were right Bruce, I never thought you could tie someone’s trachea in a reef knot 😂

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

But then you have a lot more vetted people saying the complete opposite. Diva lol, I’d like to see you call Bruce Lee a diva.

Edit: you were right Bruce, I never thought you could tie someone’s trachea in a reef knot 😂

He did. He called Bruce a diva. Oh, you meant in person? Grave robbing is illegal. I wonder if it's more illegal to punch the corpse a few times and claim victory in a fistfight.

So really, the only thing stopping anyone from kicking Bruce's ass is a shovel and some dirt.

Last edited:

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
06f955baa491f033d68b8d21eb576b24.jpg
nuff said

UnNamed

Banned
Bruce Lee is overrated, in the sense people tends to see things that are beyond to him.
Bruce was a decent actor and a good athlete, but what he really did was to bring his culture in movies and martial art.
But for many people Bruce Lee was like Goku, a guy who can dodge bullets and fight with 50 men, and this people don't want to see something different.
I think Tarantino's movie did good portraiting him as just a human being.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
That scene was probably the most interesting, fun and coolest scene in the movie aside from the finale. The rest of the movie was a fucking chore to sit through. I cannot believe people would take issue with just because Bruce Lee was portrayed as a bit of a douche by a really good actor who fucking nailed the part. He stole the movie in just that one scene. Against a big name actor like Brad Pitt. We should be celebrating that instead of roasting his fictional fucking portrayal.

People have lost their minds.

Tarantino, looking straight at Rogan too when he said that and Rogan just laughs like a bitch. I still remember last comic standing season 1 finale when Buddy Hackett called Rogan a little bitch and told him to stfu 😆, Rogan did too. Then he died like a week after it aired.

I heard the entire JRE of him talking about Bruce Lee and it was fascinating and a bombshell. Unless you guys heard the entire conversation, Tarantino didn't really talked bad about Bruce Lee's character regarding when he said he smacked people IMO. He said he did that to be very strict and wanting to get the scene right. You have to also consider the culture of that time as well. What was really interesting to me was Linda Lee. How she portrayed Bruce and the whole Waner Bro's shit was crazy!

highrider

Banned
He did. He called Bruce a diva. Oh, you meant in person? Grave robbing is illegal. I wonder if it's more illegal to punch the corpse a few times and claim victory in a fistfight.

So really, the only thing stopping anyone from kicking Bruce's ass is a shovel and some dirt.

Never have seen such a pseudo attempt at humor fail so miserably. Good luck with that 👍😬

highrider

Banned
Bruce Lee is overrated, in the sense people tends to see things that are beyond to him.
Bruce was a decent actor and a good athlete, but what he really did was to bring his culture in movies and martial art.
But for many people Bruce Lee was like Goku, a guy who can dodge bullets and fight with 50 men, and this people don't want to see something different.
I think Tarantino's movie did good portraiting him as just a human being.

No. Real fans of Bruce Lee are probably fans of his philosophy even more than any movies he’s done. He was revolutionary in the way he approached martial arts. Read The Tao of Jeet Kune Do and get back to me. Far from overrated, he’s the best that ever did it on film.

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.

Oh so the tough guy is going to beat me up for having an opinion on him. What is this, the middle school yard?

Look dude, I respect him and I like his movies, but all I am saying is that I do not find it hard to believe he was a bitch to work with just like any other highly committed professional.

It seems that you take massive offense with him being flawed like any other human. I suggest accept reality and realize that no hero is perfect.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I listened to his whole Joe Rogan and now I'm parsing through his appearance on WTF with Marc Maron.

highrider

Banned
Oh so the tough guy is going to beat me up for having an opinion on him. What is this, the middle school yard?

Look dude, I respect him and I like his movies, but all I am saying is that I do not find it hard to believe he was a bitch to work with just like any other highly committed professional.

It seems that you take massive offense with him being flawed like any other human. I suggest accept reality and realize that no hero is perfect.

No you’re being straight ridiculous. I actually said already I completely believe he could do that, it’s almost like you’re in some forum argument subroutine, read what I wrote again I guess 🤷‍♂️

As an aside I just find it personally amusing when dudes that can’t bust a grape call Bruce Lee a bitch, but that’s just literally what it is. It’s funny.

Last edited:
I don't have an opinion about Bruce Lee one way or another, and I thought it was a humorous scene and the actor portrayed Lee to almost comical accuracy. But I do like how Tarantino always goes to bat for stuntmen. They're like the unsung heroes of movies. It ain't Chris Evans doing those insane moves as Captain America - it's his stuntman. Those brief glimpses of the pretty boy actor or gorgeous 90 pound wafer of an actress leaping out of a burning building before it explodes: stunt men and women. Those old Xena episodes you beat off to? Stunt woman doing 99% of the physical work.

Anywho Tarantino isn't one to ever back down from a decision he makes in a film.
And this is why I give a lot of props to Tom Cruise. I respect his dedication and passion for the role, despite his ridiculous choice in religion.

TV&Drugs

Neo Member
Tarantino is a fucking idiot.

First off it was American stuntmen who did not respect Bruce. He was a no name 5ft 6' Chinese dude. They thought he was a joke at first. That is well known. But he won their respect with his abilities. Cherry picking one damned story that is ridiculous. Bruce was actually legit beloved by cast and crew, that is a fact.

Also Bruce Lee was a life long street fighter. He basically murdered everyone he fought against. He incorporated all martial arts. Frequently he is called the god father of MMA.

Doesnt matter if he fought a soldier, he spent a large portion of his life trying to be the best street fighter, and essentially kicking everyones ass.

He wasn't a dick to co workers, ffs. Only in the last few years the most comprehensive bio of his life was written, cast and crew fucking loved Bruce Lee. Like legit loved him.

Last edited:

CloudNull

Banned
Tarantino is a fucking idiot.

First off it was American stuntmen who did not respect Bruce. He was a no name 5ft 6' Chinese dude. They thought he was a joke at first. That is well known. But he won their respect with his abilities. Cherry picking one damned story that is ridiculous. Bruce was actually legit beloved by cast and crew, that is a fact.

Also Bruce Lee was a life long street fighter. He basically murdered everyone he fought against. He incorporated all martial arts. Frequently he is called the god father of MMA.

Doesnt matter if he fought a soldier, he spent a large portion of his life trying to be the best street fighter, and essentially kicking everyones ass.

He wasn't a dick to co workers, ffs. Only in the last few years the most comprehensive bio of his life was written, cast and crew fucking loved Bruce Lee. Like legit loved him.
This has to be a copypasta.... if not it should be. Shit had me rolling.

TV&Drugs

Neo Member

Overall he wasn't a dick to them. Because there are a fuckload of biographies and documentaries about him. Testimonies and evidence.

The whole hitting stuntment and asking them to hit him, is a well known thing. He wanted the action to look real. Like I said that is a very cherry picked example.

Jackie Chan was one of his stuntmen. They all loved Bruce because he treated his cast and crew well and always had time for them. Its not my opinion its what they say themselves. Bruce actually had a reputation of being kind to his stuntmen.

I mean you can go ahead and read about it yourself, educate yourself. Nothing stopping you.

As for the rest of the stuff I said, that is just really really old hat. Anyone who has researched Bruce knows this. But you guys haven't read any of his bios so I wouldnt expect you to know.

Last edited:

TV&Drugs

Neo Member
Instead of talking a lot shit that I see here, why dont you guys actually educate yourself. I dont mean to sound condescending but if you guys are so interested go for it.

The most comprehensive bio came out only a few years ago. Meticulously researched. Drawing upon the well known and new sources.

Nothing at all stopping you guys from wasting your time talking crap and actually knowing what you are talking about.

Last edited:

TV&Drugs

Neo Member
“He influenced me a lot,” Chan said in an interview in 1997. “I admired him, and the way he would talk. He could even speak English. Everyone thought he was a god.”

Lee won the respect of the stuntmen because he treated them as equals. He would chat with them on set and eat with them. Sometimes he would even contribute towards their medical bills if they got hurt. Such behaviour impressed the young Chan.

“He treated us lowly people very well,” Chan told me. “One day I got hurt and he rushed up to me and said, ‘Are you okay?’”

Straight from their own mouths. Go read a book about Bruce. Outside of very physical action, he always, he always treated his cast and crew extremely extremely well. This is very well known. Seeing a lot of baseless ignorant speculation.

Last edited:
Overall he wasn't a dick to them. Because there are a fuckload of biographies and documentaries about him. Testimonies and evidence.

The whole hitting stuntment and asking them to hit him, is a well known thing. He wanted the action to look real. Like I said that is a very cherry picked example.

Jackie Chan was one of his stuntmen. They all loved Bruce because he treated his cast and crew well and always had time for them. Its not my opinion its what they say themselves. Bruce actually had a reputation of being kind to his stuntmen.

I mean you can go ahead and read about it yourself, educate yourself. Nothing stopping you.

As for the rest of the stuff I said, that is just really really old hat. Anyone who has researched Bruce knows this. But you guys haven't read any of his bios so I wouldnt expect you to know.

It's just a joke bro, I like movies from all these dudes.

highrider

Banned

Straight from their own mouths. Go read a book about Bruce. Outside of very physical action, he always, he always treated his cast and crew extremely extremely well. This is very well known. Seeing a lot of baseless ignorant speculation.

Naah dude Quentin is waaay more reliable. Just look at the high class company he keeps 👍 Think him and his boy Weinstein never never did some fucked up shit? Could see Quentin being an even bigger perv tbh. It amazes me people can’t immediately see the disingenuous scumbag that he clearly is, but Pulp Fiction bro. It’s a few clever bits of dialogue, that’s it man. There nothing great about his movies at all. Django was probably his best, and it was still completely stupid, saved by some great performances and cameos.

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
Instead of talking a lot shit that I see here, why dont you guys actually educate yourself. I dont mean to sound condescending but if you guys are so interested go for it.

The most comprehensive bio came out only a few years ago. Meticulously researched. Drawing upon the well known and new sources.

Nothing at all stopping you guys from wasting your time talking crap and actually knowing what you are talking about.

Every guy posting that stuff to be fair is an accomplished martial artist, this is clear from our expertise in talking about fighting in any MMA thread. Just naah, you come correct if you’re gonna drag Bruce Lee.

Last edited:

99Luffy

Banned
Ughh why does this movie keep coming up. Its basically QT exonerating roman polanski. Another reminder that hollywood is full of creepy pedophiles.

Lanrutcon

Boy i tried to learn your slow ass. Get some remedial instructions on how to write and interact with people in a more compelling and entertaining way.

So, so salty that your idol wasn't perfect. Show us where the bad director touched you.

And Jesus, please spellcheck your shit before you try and sound clever. It takes 5 minutes and you wouldn't look like a 12 year old.

elpt0ijngv871.png

meanwhile she look white as fuck but ok
And I'm tired of Hollywood grifters who ride on the coattails of their famous parents as if they had any merit themselves. She was frikkin' 4 years old when Bruce died, a tragedy for any young child for sure, but also one that she is financially exploiting to the max. I get that you want to defend your father's legacy, but that doesn't excuse your racist tirades. Was it also "white men" who produced the numerous Bruceploitation movies in order to make a quick buck on Bruce Lee's death?

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I love stories like this, where people just feel they HAVE to defend one person involved or the other - despite the fact they know neither of them :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Here's the thing: Bruce Lee could be an asshole. Guess what? Tarantino can be an asshole two.

So this is a bunch of people arguing over two dudes who both have asshole tendencies, trying to convince the other side that only one of them is the asshole, all because of some political identity culture war bullshit.

It's as fucking hilarious as it is a colossal waste of everybody's time.

Last edited:

Shai-Tan

Banned

yep, also for extra context, in Jackie Chan's My Stunts he talks about how he much prefers to work with his own stunt team because they practice a lot to know each others patterns. When working with a random person it's inevitable that when trying to sell it (trying to make it not look like punching air or like some form of timed dance) that someone gets tagged

Last edited:

SiteSeer

qt is a great director, dogs, pulp, & brown are grade a films. when i heard bruce was going to be in hollywood i was super stoked, but what happened on screen was a travesty, i don't care what he wanted with the characterization or if qt thought it was based on history, actual or misinterpreted; i really liked the rest of hollywood but as a bruce fan that scene just soured a good deal of it. oh well, can't have it all.

Stuart360

Never really cared for the Bruce Lee scene, or the film for that matter, but if its riled up the Twitter mob, then its all good for me. And good on Tarantino giving it to them, and not bowing down like everyone else does. Its the bowing down that gives these loons their 'power'.

Nickolaidas

Never really cared for the Bruce Lee scene, or the film for that matter, but if its riled up the Twitter mob, then its all good for me. And good on Tarantino giving it to them, and not bowing down like everyone else does. Its the bowing down that gives these loons their 'power'.
Not bowing down changes nothing - he'll just get cancelled or refrain from working ever again. It's not a win by any stretch of the word.

DKehoe

Not bowing down changes nothing - he'll just get cancelled or refrain from working ever again. It's not a win by any stretch of the word.
Or he'll just keep making movies? That seems the most likely outcome.

He has said that his 10th film will be his last, and that would be the next one. But that's been something he has talked about for a while so it wouldn't be a result of him being "canceled"

Top Bottom