• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tarantino to the Mob Angry About Bruce Lee in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood: 'oh suck a dick!'

tusharngf

What i have seen so far in bruce lee movies and videos. He seems like a guy who would fight anyone. If he gets his ass kicked on set then its a normal reaction. He aint no superhero or has superior power. He must have faced hard opponents in his life.

Hardensoul

I think it's bullshit, I don't think Bruce Lee is in no position at the era in Hollywood to be that arrogant or ass hole. It maybe the other way around where people be it stuntmen or extras would try to fight him due to his reputation as a martial artist. Bruce Lee didn't have no clout in Hollywood during the Green Hornet series and the series wasn't popular and got canned.

Kung Fu the series which was his brainchild got literally stolen and they cast fucken David Carradine a white guy as a traveling Chinese monk. Is that the clout Bruce Lee had to be an ass hole?

highrider

Banned
So, so salty that your idol wasn't perfect. Show us where the bad director touched you.

And Jesus, please spellcheck your shit before you try and sound clever. It takes 5 minutes and you wouldn't look like a 12 year old.

You sound really upset bro. Just know you’d be nothing but smiles in real life junior 👍

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
I love stories like this, where people just feel they HAVE to defend one person involved or the other - despite the fact they know neither of them :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Here's the thing: Bruce Lee could be an asshole. Guess what? Tarantino can be an asshole two.

So this is a bunch of people arguing over two dudes who both have asshole tendencies, trying to convince the other side that only one of them is the asshole, all because of some political identity culture war bullshit.

It's as fucking hilarious as it is a colossal waste of everybody's time.
And here you are dumbass 😂

Soodanim

Watched (most of) the movie for the first time last night. There was nothing about that scene (assuming he doesn’t turn up again near the end) that warrants more than a passing comment. It’s like getting mad that Steve McQueen told someone about the love life of Roman Polanski. It’s a work of fiction, any upset is artificial.

Reactions: Gp1

UnNamed

Banned
elpt0ijngv871.png

meanwhile she look white as fuck but ok
In the end, it's all about "this is my story, and in my story Bruce Lee is a fucker".

carlosrox

Banned
Does he actually shit on Bruce Lee? If so, that's pretty shitty, especially since he's a huge movie fan.

Kinda sounds like he has a bone to pick with him if he's painting him as this big asshole when it seems he wasn't.

I have yet to the watch the movie, I like QT's movies so I consider myself a fan, but I'm not rabid or anything.

Guess I'll watch the movie for myself and make my decision then.

If his portrayal comes off as rather shitty then I'll probably agree with people that Quentin's being a bit of a dick, but if it's no big deal then no big deal.

His foot fetish stuff plastered in every movie is kinda cringe though. Like, we get it, you get off to feet, do I need to see his wank material in every movie? And I'm not even against foot fetishism, but just putting it in every movie is a bit tiring.

Zangiefy360

Banned
It's Tarantino's movie and he can do what he wants. Hollywood was the best movie of 2019, IMO. The reason that's he's one of the best is because he stays true to his vision, doesn't make movies by committee, and won't bow down to a mob that laughably thinks they can have any influence on his work.

I get a kick out of how Bruce's do-nothing woke daughter got so flustered she had to resort to racism as her final defense. What a heinous, hateful person she revealed herself to be. I wonder if she'd still be tired of "fucking white men" if they stopped buying her Dad's movies that fuels her privileged lifestyle?

elpt0ijngv871.png

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
Watched (most of) the movie for the first time last night. There was nothing about that scene (assuming he doesn’t turn up again near the end) that warrants more than a passing comment. It’s like getting mad that Steve McQueen told someone about the love life of Roman Polanski. It’s a work of fiction, any upset is artificial.
The way I read the scene is that the whole scene is Cliff remembering. We learn from earlier in the film that Cliff is an unreliable narrator (in regards to how his wife died) so I took how Cliff remembered the whole scene with a pinch of salt.

carlosrox

Banned
Not sure which thread to discuss this in cuz I can't seem to find an OT for it (or Tarantino movies in general) but I had to share how fucking much I dislike this movie.

It was a complete train wreck in my opinion. The first half is a complete and utter bore. Nothing but lame references to movies, shows, and actors from the 50s and 70s, nostalgic ads and products from the 70s, and reshoots of old movies with Leonardo Dicaprio inserts.

What the fuck is this movie? I'm shocked by how bad it is. I've liked every one of his movies up until this point but I could not stand this one.

If I'm not mistaken it's also his longest movie. I couldn't believe I was only at the half way point and so badly wanted to turn it off.

Name drop after name drop, why am I supposed to care about anything that's happening in this movie?

It got a bit better in the second half, but not by much, and holy shit is the ending fucking stupid. Like, that shit worked with Inglorious Basterds, it did NOT work here.

His style is so damn played out at this point. Sick of it. I initially disliked IB because I felt the exact same way. Like fuck ease up with the movie references, the 70s style shit, and Kill Bill in WW2 France. I desperately wanted him to branch out and make something entirely different but IB just felt like KB with a WW2 coat of paint on it. That was my initial reaction though (aside from loving the opening scene which I thought was very well done). I've since learned to appreciate the whole thing a lot more.

I loved Django - aside from that out of place Tupac track they used, and I loved Hateful Eight from start to finish. Gave me old Res Dogs vibes. It worked for me.

But this movie. WOW. This is one of those few movies I feel the need to warn people to watch at their own risk.

I had a feeling I wasn't gonna like it when Al Pacino showed up and there's nothing but name drops of old movies and actors along with 10 flashbacks to DiCaprio inserted into some old movie only fucking movie historians would know about.

I really hope this isn't his last movie cuz I think he needs to redeem himself after this.

Tarantino's worst movie by faaaaaaaaaaaar.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
On first view I thought it was just ok.

I’ve seen it 2 times since and it might be my favorite Tarantino movie now. I absolutely love it. I think it’s a great love letter to classic Hollywood, and as someone who is a true crime fanatic, everything involving the Manson family was done so brilliantly, and it had the best ending in any Tarantino movie I thought sans maybe Pulp Fiction.

carlosrox

Banned
That was the most interesting part of the movie by far but they did nothing with it but some absolutely ridiculous over the top shit like it was Inglorious Basterds pt 2 or something.

They also did nothing with Leo feeling washed up. There's a few scenes dealing with it but it seems like they basically drop that angle entirely which seemed to be the main driving point of the movie minus the masturbatory movie and 70s references.

There were a few scenes that were kinda interesting, like when Leo was flubbing his lines and there were reactions to his acting and stuff.

But there are entire scenes that are just reshoots of old movies, why the fuck do I care about seeing this?!?

One of the better scenes is the tension building at the old west set, but it's basically just a trick. Hats off for the build up, it was well done.

Brad Pitt tripping balls and laughing it up when Manson Family came in was good too but then it went way off the rails when the fight began and I was just like ugh this is way too over the top and I've seen this already in IB.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
That’s why I loved it. That’s Tarantino. Isn’t afraid to get wild and weird with his movies or go over the top. But it was funny as hell, it was just total craziness. Tarantino’s movies haven’t been grounded for a long time. But I love them the crazier they get.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I thought the movie was entertaining. Oddly enough, I was most riveted by Leo’s performance as a fading actor trying to remain relevant. I’m a huge Bruce Lee fan, and I wasn’t really bothered by the depiction too much. I thought it was all tongue-in-cheek? Having Bruce say that he can cripple the likes of Ali was a bit much though, when in real life there are accounts that he said the complete opposite.

Bruce is bigger than this movie, an laughably bigger than Tarantino. Overall the fight scene felt like a huge missed opportunity, for an epic battle between the two.

Last edited:

Cleared_Hot

I loved it 🤷🏼‍♂️

Also, an I they only one who thought the Bruce Lee scene was just a dream? A dream from an established racist? Why TF is anyone bitching about this?????!!!??

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I thought the movie was entertaining. Oddly enough, I was most riveted by Leo’s performance as a fading actor trying to remain relevant. I’m a huge Bruce Lee fan, and I wasn’t really bothered by the depiction too much. I thought it was all tongue-in-cheek? Having Bruce say that he can cripple the likes of Ali was a bit much though, when in real life there are accounts that he said the complete opposite.

Bruce is bigger than this movie, an laughably bigger than Tarantino. Overall the fight scene felt like a huge missed opportunity, for an epic battle between the two.
I read the biography from Polly a couple weeks back as well and boy did it lower my view of Bruce Lee. I mean, he did some cool stuff and sure was charismatic on screen as well but (assuming Polly didn‘t make shit up) he was quite a prick off screen. Apparently he even used to be a bully gang leader in his youth back in Hong Kong. I was like… what the hell?

Top Bottom