• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Target just put a pending $529.99 hold on my PS5 pre-order...make sure your accounts have money!

ultrazilla

For those of you who pre-ordered your PS5 systems from Target.com, make sure you have money in your bank/credit union account. Target has put
a "pending" charge of $529.99 for my system and the hold expires on October 19th, Monday. They're getting ready to ship these so be ready with your
funds!

Good luck and get excited, next gen is only a few weeks away!

ps5-screenshot-09-16-20.png

Apeopleman

According to a few people, Target puts a new authorization hold on some credit cards like Visas Every 8 days. That’s why a lot of people got canceled and the Target add to cart spam worked. Those were actual orders that got cancelled.

this “authorization” charge you got for 530$ should fall off. The real charge is when it ships.

make sure you have the funds available. Especially if you used your checkings debit card.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
I ordered mine in the second offering st Walmart.com and it currently says expected arrival date Nov 18th. IDoes anyone know how they handle street dates and shipping?
I.m guessing it means they wont ship it until Nov 12th?

Paulxo87

I ordered mine in the second offering st Walmart.com and it currently says expected arrival date Nov 18th. IDoes anyone know how they handle street dates and shipping?

I got mine in the first wave at 6:39 which was 30 seconds before they were gone. Mine says it's arriving on the 12th

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
I got mine in the first wave at 6:39 which was 30 seconds before they were gone. Mine says it's arriving on the 12th
Dang I was afraid of that. That means its probley an estimated date with them expecting to receive a second shipment.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Sigh, this is annoying... I thought they wouldn't do this again until it shipped. I ordered with my debit card, but just finished buying a bunch of iphone stuff and then this morning I saw: "We were unable to process the original payment. Please choose a new payment form before the order is canceled Mon, Oct 19. " and "we're holding your payment for now".
There's still enough in my account to cover it though... I've just removed my debit card, added it back, and then transferred some more money into the account. I hope they don't cancel my order...

FYI I was one of the first to preorder from Target and my order says "Estimated Sun, Nov 15 – Tue, Nov 17 "

edit: Whew, crisis averted. My order is good to go again!

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Jesus if that’s an issue some of you shouldn’t be buying new systems
Sometimes it's not an issue with not being able to afford it... your bank may see someone trying to take money out of your account and then block the transaction.
I wish Target would just go ahead and take the money, then on launch day they could just ship it out with no worries.

It could be worse, you could be asked to put down £2000 as a deposit for your XSX pre-order. Curry's PC World promise you will get your £2000 back, but they don't state whether it will be cash or store credit...........................

nyr88nyg

Banned
Sometimes it's not an issue with not being able to afford it... your bank may see someone trying to take money out of your account and then block the transaction.
I wish Target would just go ahead and take the money, then on launch day they could just ship it out with no worries.
Yup.. my bank cancelled my card after I bought a new tv and tv stand a few months ago and I didn’t respond to their fraud call.

LostDonkey

It could be worse, you could be asked to put down £2000 as a deposit for your XSX pre-order. Curry's PC World promise you will get your £2000 back, but they don't state whether it will be cash or store credit...........................

That's......wow. That's not what they are doing at all.

It's a voucher code they gave people to the value of £2005 when they ordered online. The price was increased to £2499 to stop scalpers and bots from ordering up all the stock because a bot wouldn't be able to then put the voucher code in manually.

Nobody is actually paying £2499 for an Xbox at Currys/Pc world.

Antwix

Yeah, I ordered one of each consoles at Target and have been getting a "new" pending change seemingly like every single week. That's just how Target does it. It's definitely best to use a credit card in situations like this. Plus you get cash back :)

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Make sure you're not dirt poor before buying $500 game console. Gotcha.

Banks don't just go and cancel/block transactions for fun lol. They are putting a pre-auth on your card that you chose to pay with. That's not going to be blocked.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
... you shouldn’t be able to pre order without money down anyway.

we don’t need kids with zero dollars keeping the hardware from gamers with actual funds for it

Last edited:
Reactions: MrS

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
If someone doesn't have more than enough money to cover it their account already they probley shouldn't be buying one.
This holiday season is going to lead to a LOT of revising the rules of credit cards being issued. I heard from a colleague that many credit card companies are shutting down risky accounts. I am hoping that it may be enough for me to be able to get one.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
We’ll all find out soon if we get our consoles Banks, Sony, Target, etc. are motivated to get people their consoles.

I managed to get a preorder in at gamestop and i am terrified my bank is going to block the transaction. is there any way to get ahead of that?

jadedm17

Sigh, this is annoying... I thought they wouldn't do this again until it shipped. I ordered with my debit card, but just finished buying a bunch of iphone stuff and then this morning I saw: "We were unable to process the original payment. Please choose a new payment form before the order is canceled Mon, Oct 19. " and "we're holding your payment for now".
There's still enough in my account to cover it though... I've just removed my debit card, added it back, and then transferred some more money into the account. I hope they don't cancel my order...

FYI I was one of the first to preorder from Target and my order says "Estimated Sun, Nov 15 – Tue, Nov 17 "

edit: Whew, crisis averted. My order is good to go again!

Protip : CREDIT!
A lot of cards offer a year extension on warranties, so your new console would have 2 years instead of 1.

Which helps since Sony tried to refuse my launch day PS4 that broke 363 days after purchase, claiming i bought it several days before the launch date. After fighting they agreed I was right but the takeaway here is your console could break at any moment so 2 years beats 1.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Make sure you're not dirt poor before buying $500 game console. Gotcha.

Banks don't just go and cancel/block transactions for fun lol. They are putting a pre-auth on your card that you chose to pay with. That's not going to be blocked.
Depends on your bank. I've had several times over the years where I tried to buy something online and my bank blocked it, then when I called them they said it was outside of my normal spending patterns. (then they of course they unblocked it)

Last edited:

magnumpy

I wish I could afford to have all these hypothetical insufficient funds charges :(

It feels like you're just bragging about how much money you don't have :eek:

dorkimoe

Mine says arrival 12th

MrFunSocks

Banned
Depends on your bank. I've had several times over the years where I tried to buy something online and my bank blocked it, then when I called them they said it was outside of my normal spending patterns. (then they of course they unblocked it)
That's generally if you're buying something from some overseas site. Buying from Target? Nah. Not a single bank or credit card company would block that.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Got mine at Target. I got my order in plenty of time before it was sold out. Mine has an estimated shipping date “November 13-18”. It is what it is. At least I’ll be getting it.

AmuroChan

Consider getting Target Red card if you are making any big purchases from Target. You get 5% off instantly on every purchase.

Celcius

°Temp. member
That's generally if you're buying something from some overseas site. Buying from Target? Nah. Not a single bank or credit card company would block that.
I've had it happen buying a videocard from Newegg before. Do you even own a debit card?

Blond

Banned
Why do people make purchases like this on debit cards? Even a POS credit card like the citi double cash with a 1k limit would do wonders instead of all this worrying about a deficit in your actual spending money lol.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I've had it happen buying a videocard from Newegg before. Do you even own a debit card?
hahaha of course I do. It's pretty much the only card I've used to buy things online for 5+ years. Hundreds of items. Literally never had a single problem, especially buying something from within my own country, at a store like a target.

Why do people make purchases like this on debit cards? Even a POS credit card like the citi double cash with a 1k limit would do wonders instead of all this worrying about a deficit in your actual spending money lol.
If you can afford it why wouldn't you just use a debit card?

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
hahaha of course I do. It's pretty much the only card I've used to buy things online for 5+ years. Hundreds of items. Literally never had a single problem, especially buying something from within my own country, at a store like a target.

If you can afford it why wouldn't you just use a debit card?

Credit Cards offer the greatest protection for purchases and you don't have to worry about fraud alerts or anything like that to avoid situations like this. Also they're much better for travelling and purchases in general so you can reap rewards. Just day to day purchases on my United Mileage Plus has given me nothing but free or nearly free flights the past couple of years from all the miles I rack up.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Credit Cards offer the greatest protection for purchases and you don't have to worry about fraud alerts or anything like that to avoid situations like this. Also they're much better for travelling and purchases in general so you can reap rewards. Just day to day purchases on my United Mileage Plus has given me nothing but free or nearly free flights the past couple of years from all the miles I rack up.
My debit card offers all the same protections when used online as a credit card, so there's no worry there. Like I said, I buy things from the USA or UK probably every other week these days and have never had a single charge blocked.

The USA seems to have much better credit card rewards schemes than other countries though, offering things like cash back. Pretty much only ever seen 1 company do that here in Australia and they scrapped it as soon as they got a name for themselves due to it.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I ordered mine (and accessories) at Best Buy, which places an authorization hold on the chosen method of payment only once - as far as I know - unless you change payment methods, at which point they place a hold on the new payment method.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
If someone doesn't have more than enough money to cover it their account already they probley shouldn't be buying one.
I am poor and I can not lie. You other brothers can't deny.

I also bought my PS5 on a best buy credit card. 18 months no interest baby. That's how us poor people do it. It will be paid off in 5 months.

BluRayHiDef

Banned

I also bought my PS5 on a best buy credit card. 18 months no interest baby. That's how us poor people do it. It will be paid off in 5 months.

I actually signed up for the Best Buy credit card and was approved for it as I was going through the check-out process for the PlayStation 5 bundle that I ordered.

However, the site glitched as it was processing my payment due to the overload of people trying to order the console simultaneously, which caused me to successfully order the accessories with the card but caused the console to disappear.

When I went to add the console to my cart again, it had sold out. However, I kept checking for three hours and then it became available again.

I was able to order it but not with the Best Buy credit card due to the site asking me to verify the card's number and CVC, which I obviously didn't have yet. So, I used another credit card.

How's that for irony? I wasn't able to use the Best Buy credit card to order the very product that prompted me to sign up for it.

This isn't a big deal but is a bit funny.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I signed up for a Best Buy credit card back with the PS3. They don’t use the same bank for their credit card anymore, but it also had the 0% APR for a certain period of time. That card had a horrible APR to it. I didn’t get that card paid off until two years later. My advice is to cancel that card once you pay it off. Granted I would go in there and buy a new game because I was still riding that 0% APR. I ended up maxing it out at like $1200. I have been putting a little away here and there. Money I would typically spend on myself I just put into a fund for the new console. I sure hope Target has reliable shipping. I’ve heard some bad stories about their books. However, there’s a couple Targets near me.

I had their Square Trade warranty for my Switch. What sucks about their warranty deal is they have you send your console to them. They then determine if it needs to be fixed or if they’ll send you a replacement. Best Buy on the other hand had a much better warranty. I used my 3 year warranty I had with the PS3 multiple times. Swapped out my 60 GB for the MGS4 80Gb when the disc drive started to make a weird noise. No questions asked and if the console is at a lower price, they use to just give you money back in credit. That use to be how they were. I don’t know about their warranties now. I just know my Switch warranty was a pain in the ass because they wanted me to be without a Switch until they examined it.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned

Yea... getting a credit card when your poor for a console might not workout for your credit score in the long run, you do know what a HARD CHECK is right and that having MULTIPLE credit cards is seen as a negative not a positive.

All I’m trying to say is think of your financial future here.

Come on man you know that’s not how kidults function! DEBT FOREVER! IF you can’t pay it then go bankrupt, you’ll still have your console, so you WIN in the end right?

Credit cards are FREE MONEY!!! Besides if you cut it up they can’t get a DIME from you anyway...RIGHT!??

On a serious note FOMO is very real and it’s very sad to see people destroy themselves just to fight it.

Last edited:

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
I actually signed up for the Best Buy credit card and was approved for it as I was going through the check-out process for the PlayStation 5 bundle that I ordered.

However, the site glitched as it was processing my payment due to the overload of people trying to order the console simultaneously, which caused me to successfully order the accessories with the card but caused the console to disappear.

When I went to add the console to my cart again, it had sold out. However, I kept checking for three hours and then it became available again.

I was able to order it but not with the Best Buy credit card due to the site asking me to verify the card's number and CVC, which I obviously didn't have yet. So, I used another credit card.

How's that for irony? I wasn't able to use the Best Buy credit card to order the very product that prompted me to sign up for it.

This isn't a big deal but is a bit funny.
I experienced the same site error during checkout at best buy. I had a ps5 in my cart but couldn't checkout due to the overwhelming number of people.

Fortunately I just kept refreshing Wario 64s Twitter and he said best buy is working again for some people. So I went there and bought it with no issues this time.

I had to wait until 2am before bestbuy.com worked for me. So like you I spent hours trying.

I already had a best buy credit card in hand with the cvc code and everything. Got one last year. That sucks that you couldn't use your best buy credit card and take advantage of no interest payments. But at least you had the funds to buy ps5 through other means. I wouldn't be able to get one without credit card. As I get paid monthly.

That is pretty ironic man. Fingers crossed that best buy delivers on launch day for you and I. I know amazon isn't delivering on time.

Top Bottom