• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Target put up a page for Bethesda: Game of Thrones

Assuming it's real, who do you think is making this?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lulubop

"Winter is coming"
ron_jeremy_oblivion.jpg

Still cracking me up

Tigress

god I can't imagine the sub par writing that would go into this.

Well, judging from Far Harbor and my understanding of how Bethesda allowed writers, if they keep Emil from being the head writer it has a chance of at least being decent. It seems it's the stuff he touches (sadly they like to let him head story on the main games) is what gives them a reputation for bad writing (he headed the writing on fallout 3 and 4 and skyrim, all known for shifty story writing or in skyrim's case the most overwritten overdone plot line when they had potential for something more interesting and then ignored it for your usual big bad is destroying the world, go kill it). It seems when he's not involved they can do better (my understanding is he doesn't do the dlcs).

Lister

Banned
Meh, I can't be really arsed to care about an rpg set in that universe. Unless it took place sometime after the final season... new rerritory as it were.

Would Much rather like to see a paradox style grand strategy title where I get to be one of the houses out for the throne. Throw in total war like tactical battles and man, that would be so cool!

IvorB

Ouch... Bethesda? I thought Martin had famously high quality standards.

Would Much rather like to see a paradox style grand strategy title where I get to be one of the houses out for the throne. Throw in total war like tactical battles and man, that would be so cool!

Really, this type of strategy game is the only GoT game I would be interested in.

Zzzonked

If they aren't setting the game during the events leading up to and during Robert's Rebellion, they're doing it wrong. That time period has a shit load of characters we care about and would be a great setting for a game.

Edit: I am hijacking my own post to feverishly gush over my own GoT vidja game pitch.

My pie-in-the-sky dream GoT game would be set before, during and after the rebellion taking place across the entire continent of Westeros sans perhaps north of the wall.

Imagine if the player character was a bastard born in one of the nine major regions (North, Vale, Iron Islands, Riverlands, Crownlands, Stormlands, Reach, Westerlands, Dorne), with the player choosing where they want their character to be from and which house they serve. They story at the beginning would differ depending on where you start from, but all 9 paths would mostly follow the same beats: the tourney at Harrenhal, battle of Ashford, The Trident, sack of King's Landing etc.

Your ultimate goal is to assist your liege lord in either defending the crown (Targaryen, Lannister, Tyrell, Martell), overthrowing the crown (Baratheon, Stark, Tully, Arryn) or take advantage of the chaos and reave where you please (Greyjoy).

Your skill tree could have 9 branches: Father, Mother, Maiden, Smith, Crone, Warrior, Stranger, The Old Gods and The Drowned God.

NPC's refer to you by your bastard surname (Snow, Stone, Pyke, Rivers, Waters, Storm, Flowers, Hill or Sand) for maximum immersion

Side quest potential is enormous here:
-Recruit/capture potential brothers for The Night's Watch
-take care of The Smiling Knight
-find all of the Weirwoods in Westeros to see visions of the past and future
-beat back Hill Tribesmen in The Vale
-investigate reports of a Faceless Man sighted in Westeros
-investigate an underground cult of religious fanatics called "Sparrows", join or destroy them
-fuck all the whores in Westeros and "make the 8"
-study at The Citadel in Oldtown like a nerd
-assist the head of customs in Gulltown with shady dealings (some dude named Petyr? Seems trustworthy)
-go to Gin Alley in King's Landing and give Karl Fookin' Tanner 6 silvers to kill a man

EZ DLC MONEY:

Greyjoy Rebellion DLC
"Beyond The Wall" expansion (Bronn mentioned he's been north of the wall before, get him in there)

Where's my check GRRM

This. This needs to happen.

CloudWolf

Months or so ago a self-proclaimed leaker at Bethesda claimed that there was a GoT game in development at Bethesda. His other claims got busted at E3 tho (don't remember the exact details).
Basically, that same leaker said that Elder Scrolls 6 and 7 were in development and that Elder Scrolls and Fallout are in the same universe with Elder Scrolls being Fallout's far future. Also, Starfield is set in that same universe and serves as some sort of transition game.

Honestly, the only thing of this that sounds really unbelievable is TES 6 and 7 being in development. TES and Fallout being the same is so incredibly stupid that I can 100% see modern Bethesda doing it.

carlsojo

If they did give Bethesda the Thrones license I would think they almost have to give it to the "Skyrim team". Make an open world RPG game and do it right.

Months or so ago a self-proclaimed leaker at Bethesda claimed that there was a GoT game in development at Bethesda. His other claims got busted at E3 tho (don't remember the exact details).

I'm not convinced that leak was as busted and ridiculous as everyone seems to think. Bethesda's E3 showcase was awkwardly paced, extremely short compared to prior years and seem to contain hints of things that were never shown.

The leak happened shortly before the conference. I think they realized if they showed off Starfield it would confirm the leak giving away all their internal plans for several years, so they cut it to let the leak cool off for a while. Hence the conference which seemed to end about ten minutes early.

Fallout 4's gameplay and plot were leaked in much the same way long before the reveal and nobody believed it.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i think it could be good. it's bethesda though so it won't anything great but might be still be worth playing. of course i'm assuming it's a high budget open world RPG and not some cheap mobile crap.

That's why sandbox approach to gaming is great.

What i meant is that M&T it's leaps and bound better than a lot of others games but has its limit.

off the top of my head: you can't progress in the game without fighting/battling, actual battles are limited in size

but hey, mods for Bannerlord will be great, including the GoT one.

A 2022 or 2023 release is not what that IP needs.

lol, are we now pretending that Bethesda is the cream of the crop for speedy and good development?

Fisty

Cant wait to see those Bethesda character models rubbing against each other like two marionettes with the wires tangled. Should be hilarious

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
If Bethesdas making the game you can expect your title to be longer than Danys.

edit:
Like you will be heading up the Nights Watch, the Seven church, the Lord of Light, the Faceless Men all at the same time.. might even get to be Hand or even King/Queen itself.

I don't really get the hate of Bethesda as a publisher. THey've published Dishonored 1 & 2, Prey, Doom, and Wolfenstein in the last few years, 5 of the best single player games from this era.

Randdalf

Something akin to the Game of Thrones mod in CK2 in terms of plotting and intrigue, with massive real-time battles and skulduggery... a man can dream.

If they aren't setting the game during the events leading up to and during Robert's Rebellion, they're doing it wrong. That time period has a shit load of characters we care about and would be a great setting for a game.

Edit: I am hijacking my own post to feverishly gush over my own GoT vidja game pitch.

My pie-in-the-sky dream GoT game would be set before, during and after the rebellion taking place across the entire continent of Westeros sans perhaps north of the wall.

Imagine if the player character was a bastard born in one of the nine major regions (North, Vale, Iron Islands, Riverlands, Crownlands, Stormlands, Reach, Westerlands, Dorne), with the player choosing where they want their character to be from and which house they serve. They story at the beginning would differ depending on where you start from, but all 9 paths would mostly follow the same beats: the tourney at Harrenhal, battle of Ashford, The Trident, sack of King's Landing etc.

Your ultimate goal is to assist your liege lord in either defending the crown (Targaryen, Lannister, Tyrell, Martell), overthrowing the crown (Baratheon, Stark, Tully, Arryn) or take advantage of the chaos and reave where you please (Greyjoy).

Your skill tree could have 9 branches: Father, Mother, Maiden, Smith, Crone, Warrior, Stranger, The Old Gods and The Drowned God.

NPC's refer to you by your bastard surname (Snow, Stone, Pyke, Rivers, Waters, Storm, Flowers, Hill or Sand) for maximum immersion

-investigate an underground cult of religious fanatics called "Sparrows", join or destroy them
-assist the head of customs in Gulltown with shady dealings (some dude named Petyr? Seems trustworthy)
-go to Gin Alley in King's Landing and give Karl Fookin' Tanner 6 silvers to kill a man

EZ DLC MONEY:

Greyjoy Rebellion DLC
"Beyond The Wall" expansion (Bronn mentioned he's been north of the wall before, get him in there)

Where's my check GRRM
giphy.gif

Kuraudo

Banned

edit:
Like you will be heading up the Nights Watch, the Seven church, the Lord of Light, the Faceless Men all at the same time.. might even get to be Hand or even King/Queen itself.

Azor Ahai turns out to be the player character all along.

Rivian

Neo Member
The best idea for an ASOIAF game has already been made - it's called Crusader Kings II: A Game of Thrones Mod.

I take it back - this is the best idea.

Hope they're just publishing a different developer (Arkane > anyone else >>> Bethesda)

EZ DLC MONEY:

Greyjoy Rebellion DLC

Where's my check GRRM

As much as I want this, the only team that could have possibly pulled it off would be the one behind Dragon Age: Origins. Sadly we probably won't see a title like that again.

CloudWolf

edit:
So pretty much a game where you play Jon Snow.

stephen08

Can't wait to be Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, King of the Seven Kingdoms, High Septon, Grand Maester all with one character. Oh! And the Night King of course.

I think it will be good but my concern is structure. Hopefully it's less FO4 and more New Vegas.

CloudWolf

Popularity. The more popular something is, the more flaws are blown out of proportion.
Eh, with Bethesda it's a little more than that. Fallout 4 was a smack in the face of a lot of RPG and Fallout fans. Bethesda completwly ignoring the existence of New Vegas just added to that.

senj

I don't really get the hate of Bethesda as a publisher. THey've published Dishonored 1 & 2, Prey, Doom, and Wolfenstein in the last few years, 5 of the best single player games from this era.
The hate is clearly for Bethesda Game Studios specifically.

If true, MS should throw money at it. It'd be a selling point for the X even though it'd multiplatform. You'd be getting the best looking version of the game and you'd get PC-like mod support. I say that as someone whose main console is PS4 and has no interest in the X/hasn't played an Xbox One game in a year.

EZ DLC MONEY:

Greyjoy Rebellion DLC

Where's my check GRRM

It'll be disappointing if this isn't it.

At the same time I imagine Bethesda would want some dragons and whatnot.

snap

Banned
I don't think Bethesda Game Studios is making this because why spend the money on a license when you can do an Elder Scrolls and still make around the same amount of money?

CloudWolf

I don't think Bethesda Game Studios is making this because why spend the money on a license when you can do an Elder Scrolls and still make around the same amount of money?
Fun fact: Bethesda actually turned down an offer to make an ASOIAF game in favor for Skyrim.

Kakaroach

As someone who just got into the show a month ago, I was wondering where all the GoT games were. I played the Telltale game last month from PS Plus and that's what got me into the show, but I must admit the story wasn't very good.

I've also never played a Bethesda game but have heard good things about Skyrim and Fallout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom