• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Target put up a page for Bethesda: Game of Thrones

Assuming it's real, who do you think is making this?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of you people need to cut back on the what ifs and what you want out of this. We have no idea what this thing is going to look like or what it could be.

Laplasakos

It's a while until E3 but The Game Awards is coming up. When do you think they'd announce this...if it were true?

Assuming it's real, TGA is the most likely place. But it's in 3 months, so this page shouldn't be up so early. Usually, pages like this go up some days before events so that's why i am not getting my hopes up.

BTW, has Target listed unannounced games before?

CloudWolf

As someone who just got into the show a month ago, I was wondering where all the GoT games were. I played the Telltale game last month from PS Plus and that's what got me into the show, but I must admit the story wasn't very good.

I've also never played a Bethesda game but have heard good things about Skyrim and Fallout.
There are a few, but they're all pretty bad, except for the RPG which is kind of okay in an Eurojanky way.

I wish we'd get more clarity on Bethesda Game Studios and what they are up to. Is this their next game or one of the three new games? Will Starfield still release before this, is Starfield even a thing? I just want some BGS goodness, I miss it.

I'll be making sure to start watching Game of Thrones soon though.

Van Bur3n

then why on earth are you in a topic about Game of Thrones?

Because I like Bethesda games, but don't like Game of Thrones. Kind of like how some people here like Game of Thrones but don't like Bethesda games.

For a Bethesda game to take place in a fantasy universe I have absolutely no interest in would be lame because then I probably wouldn't want to play it.

Eh, with Bethesda it's a little more than that. Fallout 4 was a smack in the face of a lot of RPG and Fallout fans. Bethesda completwly ignoring the existence of New Vegas just added to that.

Well, that's not entirely true. In terms of the Fallout universe itself, references are made to New Vegas, and even as far back as Fallout 2. In terms of game design, the main questline being faction oriented in you having to choose between different sides as well as much more fleshed out companions with their own quests and your actions affect how they feel about you (Fallout 4 actually did this better than New Vegas to a degree, albeit not perfect) are quite similar to New Vegas. Although no one at Bethesda has made reference to being inspired by New Vegas in any of these design decisions, I'd like to think so regardless.

But nah, it's not completely ignored.

Because I like Bethesda games, but don't like Game of Thrones. Kind of like how some people here like Game of Thrones but don't like Bethesda games.

For a Bethesda game to take place in a fantasy universe I have absolutely no interest in would be lame because then I probably wouldn't want to play it.

Well, that's not entirely true. In terms of the Fallout universe itself, references are made to New Vegas, and even as far back as Fallout 2. In terms of game design, the main questline being faction oriented in you having to choose between them as well as much more fleshed out companions are quite similar to New Vegas. Although no one at Bethesda has made reference to being inspired by New Vegas in any of these design decisions, I'd like to think so regardless.

Mm but I had no idea of the Elder Scrolls universe (and still don't really care) after Skyrim.

This could be your gateway drug...

Assuming that this is a Beth-developed game, I genuinely can't think of a worse RPG developer for the job. Jesus fuckin' Christ almighty no.
I can imagine it all now
Grand vistas that aren't grand, and aren't vistas
Bustling settlements of about twelve people each
That writing that Bethesda is known for

I'm keeping my expectations lower than dirt. Fuckin' Bethesda.

carlsojo

So much Bethesda and Season 7 hate and the game isn't even announced yet lmao

I love Bethesda games and I'd eat up any open world RPG by them, especially if it's Game of Thrones.

CloudWolf

Well, that's not entirely true. In terms of the Fallout universe itself, references are made to New Vegas, and even as far back as Fallout 2. In terms of game design, the main questline being faction oriented in you having to choose between different sides as well as much more fleshed out companions with their own quests and your actions affect how they feel about you (Fallout 4 actually did this better than New Vegas to a degree, albeit not perfect) are quite similar to New Vegas. Although no one at Bethesda has made reference to being inspired by New Vegas in any of these design decisions, I'd like to think so regardless.

The Sho, NCR and San Francisco being mentioned were nice nods back, yeah, but that one quest felt so out of place with the rest of the game in terms of acknowledgement of past Fallout games (that are not made by Bethesda). The creation of Jet for instance was a major plotline in Fallout 2 to the point of being able to take the manufacturer of the drug with you as a companion... but in Fallout 4 suddenly Jet has existed since before the war.

I'm also not entirely sure if the companions/faction stuff can be attributed to New Vegas. Companions not getting fleshed out was a very common complaint of Bethesda games so it makes sense that they tried to do better with Fallout 4 and the faction stuff was so different than how it was in New Vegas I'm not sure if it can be counted at all. The reputation system was pretty fundamental in the way factions worked in New Vegas, but in Fallout 4 it seems Bethesda was more inspired by their own Civil War storyline in Skyrim (Pick this side or that side, there is no middle ground).

EmSeta

I think it could be amazing. Bethesda are masters of world building and atmosphere. Sure, they’d need help with writing, but I’m certain they’re aware of that.

I don’t need an epic story like in the show/books, I’d just love to be able to wander around Westeros and explore. And I know Bethesda can deliver that.

As long as they don’t make it some online only garbage.

Guevara

I hope I can just dick around in the world of Westeros; explore north of the wall one minute, fight Dornish sand snakes the next, maybe even sail around the iron islands.

Unless this is coming out in 2017, it won't be revealed soon. Bethesda Game Studios don't reveal games until they're out the same year.

Prediction time:

Everybody will be disappointed.

Prediction Time: Most people will enjoy it. Some will not. The world will continue to rotate around its axis.

People love to hate on Bethesda in the same way that most mainstream AAA games get hate. Irrationally, mostly. You aren't getting a bad game from Bethesda. You aren't getting an RPG or a GotY either, most likely, but definitely something playable. And, hey, maybe in twenty years CDPR will announce that they have been working on a Song of Ice and Fire game for the last decade.

If it's the Bethesda main team, and they're putting the effort into it that they put into something like Elder Scrolls, then i'm excited; but I find it hard to believe they'd put that much time and effort into a licensed game.

I'd rather CD Projekt Red make a GoT game. The Witcher is tonally the closest thing and I don't trust Bethesda to do the source material justice.

Zaheer

Deeke[VRZ];247128404 said:
Unless this is coming out in 2017, it won't be revealed soon. Bethesda Game Studios don't reveal games until they're out the same year.

Skyrim was announced in December 2010.

Sotha_Sil

I wish we'd get more clarity on Bethesda Game Studios and what they are up to. Is this their next game or one of the three new games? Will Starfield still release before this, is Starfield even a thing? I just want some BGS goodness, I miss it.

I'll be making sure to start watching Game of Thrones soon though.

They're tough to get a handle on. Doesn't help that Todd is pretty elusive, with no Twitter account or any social media presence. I could see BGS' new Montreal studio working on a GoT game while Todd's crew is doing Starfield - but that's just a bunch of guesswork.

Skyrim was announced in December 2010.

And released in less than a year from the original announcement trailer. Fallout 4 had a similar release timeline - as did Prey, Dishonored Death of the Outsider, The Evil Within 2, and Wolfenstein 2 (those last three being less than 6 months!).

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I've kind of decided to never play a Bethesda Game Studios game again.

As publisher? Sure, I'd be curious to know more

jtb

Banned
This is a terrible idea.

Licenses this big are far too constraining to ever get a fully-realized product out of them.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I love the ASOIAF/GoT universe, but after Fallout 4, I'm... not quite as hyped as I should be.

Still, I'm playing Skyrim and it's fun so far, so I'm not quite as unhyped as I could be.

I think it's extremely fair to assume what this is going to be and how it'll be executed given the trends of their output. Unless they make some very dramatic changes in regards to their technology (fucking Gamebryo) and stop "streamlining" mechanics and the dumbing down of role playing mechanics, it's going to be the same janky, incredibly flawed mess that their games usually are.

The technology is what I'm most concerned about. Their engine can't handle the kind of scale that their games deserve. Also, voice acting in Bethesda games is stupid. Why make third party content stick out like a sore thumb?

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
If they aren't setting the game during the events leading up to and during Robert's Rebellion, they're doing it wrong. That time period has a shit load of characters we care about and would be a great setting for a game.

Edit: I am hijacking my own post to feverishly gush over my own GoT vidja game pitch.

My pie-in-the-sky dream GoT game would be set before, during and after the rebellion taking place across the entire continent of Westeros sans perhaps north of the wall.

Imagine if the player character was a bastard born in one of the nine major regions (North, Vale, Iron Islands, Riverlands, Crownlands, Stormlands, Reach, Westerlands, Dorne), with the player choosing where they want their character to be from and which house they serve. They story at the beginning would differ depending on where you start from, but all 9 paths would mostly follow the same beats: the tourney at Harrenhal, battle of Ashford, The Trident, sack of King's Landing etc.

Your ultimate goal is to assist your liege lord in either defending the crown (Targaryen, Lannister, Tyrell, Martell), overthrowing the crown (Baratheon, Stark, Tully, Arryn) or take advantage of the chaos and reave where you please (Greyjoy).

Your skill tree could have 9 branches: Father, Mother, Maiden, Smith, Crone, Warrior, Stranger, The Old Gods and The Drowned God.

NPC's refer to you by your bastard surname (Snow, Stone, Pyke, Rivers, Waters, Storm, Flowers, Hill or Sand) for maximum immersion

Side quest potential is enormous here:
-Recruit/capture potential brothers for The Night's Watch
-take care of The Smiling Knight
-find all of the Weirwoods in Westeros to see visions of the past and future
-beat back Hill Tribesmen in The Vale
-investigate reports of a Faceless Man sighted in Westeros
-investigate an underground cult of religious fanatics called "Sparrows", join or destroy them
-fuck all the whores in Westeros and "make the 8"
-study at The Citadel in Oldtown like a nerd
-assist the head of customs in Gulltown with shady dealings (some dude named Petyr? Seems trustworthy)
-go to Gin Alley in King's Landing and give Karl Fookin' Tanner 6 silvers to kill a man

EZ DLC MONEY:

Greyjoy Rebellion DLC
"Beyond The Wall" expansion (Bronn mentioned he's been north of the wall before, get him in there)

Where's my check GRRM

Now you got my hopes up dammit. :(

I think it's extremely fair to assume what this is going to be and how it'll be executed given the trends of their output. Unless they make some very dramatic changes in regards to their technology (fucking Gamebryo) and stop "streamlining" mechanics and the dumbing down of role playing mechanics, it's going to be the same janky, incredibly flawed mess that their games usually are.

The technology is what I'm most concerned about. Their engine can't handle the kind of scale that their games deserve. Also, voice acting in Bethesda games is stupid. Why make third party content stick out like a sore thumb?

Bethesda uses multiple engines. Bethesda is a publisher.

I predict disappointment. I also predict it will sell like a mutherfucker. It's an idea that makes sense to someone doing marketing or business, but as far as an actual game goes, this doesn't seem like a good fit. The open playground of a Bethesda doesn't fit with the tight narrative framework that makes GoT when its operating at its best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom